• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin Riverfront vs. Sheraton Steamboat Springs

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We don't ski but we are looking at going to Avon/Vail CO for the summer. In looking at the SO chart, Westin Riverfront requires fewer SOs than Sheraton Steamboat Springs - I was looking at 1BR Premium but I think the discrepancy is true for all sizes.

Is Sheraton Steamboat Springs more desirable than Westin Riverfront or is it just because Sheraton Steamboat Springs was only recently included into Vistana system, creating a discrepancy?

Input is much appreciated. We just want to book the "best" there is in that area for summer.

Thanks.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Two entirely different areas. I would take Steamboat Springs because I love the area. Avon is great, but it's rather expensive.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Two entirely different areas. I would take Steamboat Springs because I love the area. Avon is great, but it's rather expensive.
Thanks. We have not been to either area and we are looking for summer activities like fly fishing and golfing. Cost is not a consideration.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
Avon is also close to Vail. IMHO there is more to do in the Vail Valley and Avon area than Steamboat. Steamboat is somewhat secluded. In the Vail area there are more hiking trails and breweries. You can ride the gondola up to the top of the Vail resort and bike down. It's my understand the gondola in Steamboat currently is not operational for the time being. There are also more golf courses in Avon and Vail.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Avon is also close to Vail. IMHO there is more to do in the Vail Valley and Avon area than Steamboat. Steamboat is somewhat secluded. In the Vail area there are more hiking trails and breweries. You can ride the gondola up to the top of the Vail resort and bike down. It's my understand the gondola in Steamboat currently is not operational for the time being. There are also more golf courses in Avon and Vail.
Thank you!

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Of course I live in Colorado. I don't find the Vail/ Avon area all that wonderful, but everyone has an opinion. I love Steamboat, and there is great fishing in Steamboat and nearby. Beautiful mountain town with lots of charm.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Of course I live in Colorado. I don't find the Vail/ Avon area all that wonderful, but everyone has an opinion. I love Steamboat, and there is great fishing in Steamboat and nearby. Beautiful mountain town with lots of charm.
We are driving to Colorado and Steamboat Springs is a little further for us. But we are wondering which resort is nicer.

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is Sheraton Steamboat Springs more desirable than Westin Riverfront or is it just because Sheraton Steamboat Springs was only recently included into Vistana system, creating a discrepancy?

The Sheraton Steamboat is ski-in/out right at the base of the resort. Westin Riverfront is in the town of Avon and is connected to Beaver Creek by a 3 minute gondola ride which is available to the public. I suspect that the real-estate of the Sheraton Steamboat was more expensive than the Westin Riverfront due to the Sheraton being at the base of the ski resort rather than in town. Beaver Creek and Vail are purpose-built as ski resorts; there was no town before the ski resort. The Vail/Beaver Creek area is pretty commercial and is fairly large - this does mean that there is a large amount of recreational activities as Vail has built the area into a large winter and summer destination. The Steamboat town has been around long before the ski resort but the town is fairly small.

I would suggest going to Breckenridge which has a nice, historic town as well as a number of mountain activities and is owned by Vail as well.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The Sheraton Steamboat is ski-in/out right at the base of the resort. Westin Riverfront is in the town of Avon and is connected to Beaver Creek by a 3 minute gondola ride which is available to the public. I suspect that the real-estate of the Sheraton Steamboat was more expensive than the Westin Riverfront due to the Sheraton being at the base of the ski resort rather than in town. Beaver Creek and Vail are purpose-built as ski resorts; there was no town before the ski resort. The Vail/Beaver Creek area is pretty commercial and is fairly large - this does mean that there is a large amount of recreational activities as Vail has built the area into a large winter and summer destination. The Steamboat town has been around long before the ski resort but the town is fairly small.

I would suggest going to Breckenridge which has a nice, historic town as well as a number of mountain activities and is owned by Vail as well.
Thanks. Since I am using Staroptions to book for next year, I am kind of restricted to the Vistana resorts. I think Marriott has timeshare in Breckenridge. Maybe I can also do Breckenridge in 2019 using a Marriott exchange.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
We love the Avon/Beaver Creek/Vail area. A lot to do, plenty of great restaurants and great scenery.

Kildahl

TUG Member
Reaction score
FWIW I own in Breckenridge but have visited these properties. Steamboat is more family friendly but in a less convenient location. I agree with Cubigbird's observations on Avon/Beaver Creek/ Vail area. Enjoy!

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Living in Steamboat in the winter makes me somewhat biased but I love being in a "real" town. Downtown is really changing with a lot of improvements.

Heres a good link to the area.
https://www.steamboat.com/things-to-do

The Gondy is presently down to replace the haul cable but is scheduled to reopen 15 July. Steamboat has added a lot to the base are in recent year including a mountain coaster and miniature golf. The Steamboat Vistana is at the base very close to all that.

Cheers

GR81

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Vail/BC area definitely has more restaurants and summer activities easily accessible, whereas Steamboat is more of a small town feel and not so commercialized because of its distance from Denver. We are fortunate enough to live in Colorado and enjoy visiting each location at least once each summer for the variety they offer. I doubt you will regret either choice - good luck!

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
The two resorts in Avon are steps away from each other. We stayed at the Westin last year. The Westin unit was beautiful as was the resort. We saw the Sheraton but didn't go in. The Westin units have A/C and the Sheraton units do not. We visited the last week of August and A/C wasn't needed we actually drove through snow around the Eisenhower tunnel and it was around 40 degrees when we reached the resort! (It was 90 when we left Denver.) This was my first trip to Colorado so I am not sure how necessary A/C might be.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The two resorts in Avon are steps away from each other. We stayed at the Westin last year. The Westin unit was beautiful as was the resort. We saw the Sheraton but didn't go in. The Westin units have A/C and the Sheraton units do not. We visited the last week of August and A/C wasn't needed we actually drove through snow around the Eisenhower tunnel and it was around 40 degrees when we reached the resort! (It was 90 when we left Denver.) This was my first trip to Colorado so I am not sure how necessary A/C might be.
Thanks. We are planning to reserve the Westin. We will only consider the Sheraton if Westin is not available.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
We are staying at Sheraton Steamboat right now. The resort is under construction converting the rest of the hotel rooms to villas. We are staying in one of the new villas - not Morningdide. The resort is one of the nicer Sheratons IMHO as I have found some Sheratons dated and needing an update. There is quite a bit closed in Steamboat now due to the ski resort construction. It seems the hot tubs and bar at the resort all close at 10pm so there is no night life. The outdoor pool is also closed until the fall as it is being updated. It's going to be a nice Sheraton once the dust settles.

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are talking about 2 Sheratons here... one is at Avon (Sheraton Mountain Villas) and the other is at Steamboat Springs. We have to chew on booking SMV because of lack of airconditioning - maybe it is less of an issue than I think in August. But now that I read up more about Avon vs. Steamboat Springs plus input from everyone here, we decided on Avon over Steamboat Springs. So it will be the Westin, and if not available, maybe the SMV. For us a small quaint town is nice for a couple of days but we prefer places with a ton of amenities. Plus Steamboat Springs is another 1 hr 40 min drive for us, so it is a deterrent.