• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St John [Master Thread] - Part 2 (June 2014 and forward)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with the post reasoning, but

...What are they going to do? Put a lien on my TS? I can walk and leave it to the HOA...

Don't give it to the HOA, give it to me...

I'm guessing you are being sarcastic...

melissy123

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ferry question, headed to WSJ tomorrow. Last year when we took the car ferry, they had just instituted the policy of letting you use your return ticket on any of the ferry companies. On the ferry schedule page of the St. Thomas magazine, under the ferry schedules, it says you can only use the round trip return ticket on the ferry company you bought it from.
Does anyone know what the actual policy is right now? Thank you.

sachia007

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you don't get an answer from anyone on TUG before you leave you should ask the person when you pay that nominal $3.00 (or so) fee at the little toll booth on STT. Then I would ask again when you are on board and buying your ticket.

The gentleman selling me my car ticket said it was both ways, but I wasn't sure he was correct, and I didn't want to get stuck, so I bought one way tixs. When I was waiting to boarded in STJ to go back to STT, the person who lines you up to get you ready to board the barge confirmed any ticket will get you back on any boat.

Just ask a few people and as long as their answers match, you'll be all set.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Call Love City Ferries.
With all ferries running - they may no longer except the other's ticket.

steve1000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin: Mission Hills, Desert Willow, Riverfront Mtn Villas, Kierland, Flex
Marriott: Grande Ocean, Canyon Villas, Desert Springs
Hyatt: Beach House, Coconut Plantation, High Sierra Lodge,
Four Seasons: Aviara, Scottsdale.
Royal Haciendas
We were there in January and both companies were operating the ferries and accepted each others return tickets. Also, we were able to buy the round-trip ticket at the reduced price without making an advance reservation.

Call Love City Ferries.
With all ferries running - they may no longer except the other's ticket.

melissy123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Will take a chance on a round trip ticket and will report back next week

melissy123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here at WSJ now. Love City ferry said the round trip ticket was only good on their ferry for the return. No mention of occupancy tax at WSJ but then on the other hand we're not completely checked in, still waiting for room to get ready.
New restaurant on second floor of lobby area, Knox and Ollie's. Looks nice. Happy Hour from 5-6. And look what time it is right now.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Here at WSJ now. Love City ferry said the round trip ticket was only good on their ferry for the return. No mention of occupancy tax at WSJ but then on the other hand we're not completely checked in, still waiting for room to get ready.
New restaurant on second floor of lobby area, Knox and Ollie's. Looks nice. Happy Hour from 5-6. And look what time it is right now.
Occupancy tax doesn't go in to effect until May 1, 2017. So you won't have any issues with that yet.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
BVI Customs procedure

Has anyone been through the new BVI customs procedure that was enacted last summer(I think) where everyone has to pass through customs individually, instead of one person from the boat taking all the passports into the office? Did it run smooth? Take forever? We haven't been to the BVI since this went into effect and I'm just wondering how it is impacting day trips?

On a side note, what is the fee for entering the BVI? I can't find it anywhere. Our excursion website only states that it must be paid in cash, not how much it is!o_O

sachia007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Gina,

The passport/customs review did take a long time, but I just chatted with my neighbor in line (as well as my family members) and we got through it. It ran smoothly though.

If you really want to get off the boat quickly, I guess as you approach the dock, you can get out of your seats and stand near the exit ramp.... and be the first off.

Not sure what the current fee is. Have fun though!!!!

melissy123

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just went to BVI on a ferry a few days ago. The entry fee was $28 and we were able to put it on a charge card with the ferry admission. We were among the first people off and it still took a while as we had to wait until another group got done.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
The BVI fee can vary depending if you take the ferry or charter - and whether you are going to 'special' areas where there is an additional fee. It can reach $45pp if I recall correctly - like a Charter doing a Dock custom checkin - like at Sopers Hole and going to 'The Indians' (for example) - and cash. The BVI Custom buildings (coming off the BVI ferries) are cheaper as mentioned above.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone seen postings for Sunset Bay. I just saw one for a 2 BR fixed Unit/Week (7), $85K...

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Received this today. I assume as another reminder because of my upcoming stay.

HIUTNBPzY5cyuCBJ1hJ4XXPB0fnzFkYoJ2bj0bC9ZeG3_53PofKczUx1rmeAYmc_iIJTAlKVhH9Cf-n5H1U9jOKzRVThlTE_jDxc0CRrh5Hq4pWWbF9ioz7euUoBqqUlSy8=s0-d-e1-ft

Dear Owner,

Earlier this year, the U.S. Virgin Islands Legislature passed The Virgin Islands Revenue Enhancement and Economic Recovery Act of 2017 (Bill 32-0005), which was signed into law by the governor on March 22, 2017. The Bill contains revenue-enhancing amendments to the U.S. Virgin Islands Code designed to provide financial stability for the territory, as the current tax structure does not generate an adequate revenue stream to keep pace with growth in the economy. This is part of a broader tax reform intended to return public finances to a sustainable and prudent state.

Included in the Bill is the establishment of a USVI “Environmental/Infrastructure Impact Fee (Fee)” on timeshare occupancy. The Fee will impose a $25-per-night charge for each night a timeshare unit is occupied by an Owner, Exchanger or third-party guest occupying an Owner’s villa. All rental guests will continue to pay an occupancy tax at the current 12.5% rate. The rental rate will usually be higher than the owner fee given the higher nightly rates for this in-demand location.

Effective May 1, 2017, Vistana Signature Experiences, Inc. will be required by law to collect and remit this fee for The Westin St. John Resort Villas as the resort manager.

The American Resort Development Association (ARDA) continues to communicate with the USVI government on this matter, and we will keep you updated on any additional information related to this new law. You may also sign up for alerts regarding this topic on arda.org.

Regards,
26P7B-89HTEa56fDOj9nYgLKq8D9fvslmwD3VWpICc9wzJnR9rMoNuoKqLB2XX6xPjajBn_ooBL0YQbtTrpFhnE38ffkYfuusJJO8Fh_eFnN0kT6uPpsATx4UFFC9C9CL5xxw0nLcQ=s0-d-e1-ft

Thorp Thomas
Senior Vice President
9nyzE0Fj0Vrq1EssR1UhRle69wTtqiwKIZTzCE2IJrEw6XBwycn2k-Y10dfVoA0sRnTr0Mv3i2gofFmHGsR2jluvQLKix72Vw-qCoC2S2HdJvRPDTVzFuQ1bT4k0EYeczsQ=s0-d-e1-ft

9nyzE0Fj0Vrq1EssR1UhRle69wTtqiwKIZTzCE2IJrEw6XBwycn2k-Y10dfVoA0sRnTr0Mv3i2gofFmHGsR2jluvQLKix72Vw-qCoC2S2HdJvRPDTVzFuQ1bT4k0EYeczsQ=s0-d-e1-ft

hsJNuVSMQf5K3bLZ7_YFBqMxcD5-EV1S9-AIKAu9Uo_3e8gLUdT0dpJfiEkNxkwFfPHOmfJx8hE8ycQPeePpqtO_-WjPfjEFJLbLybLacB91BfkilhAN21vBfylvEvhHr_aQuoYfAXXjDTY=s0-d-e1-ft

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
This “Environmental/Infrastructure Impact Fee (Fee)” ($175/week) is more than our USVI Property Tax (~$150/week). The Property Tax system is the correct system to collect money for Environmental/Infrastructure - not this unfair fee. This fee is not balanced in the impact to Owners (e.g. owners of studio are charged the same as a 3Bd villa - even though a 3Bd has a larger environmental/infrastructure impact) - and not sure why USVI TS resort groups (e.g. Vistana) are not themselves legally challenging this fee in court based on the unequal sharing of burden - versus depending on ARDA.

This pisses me off...

Watch... this will cause more low-season studio Owners to walk - causes our overall MFs to increase - causing more Owners to walk away - repeat.
You would think that Vistana/WSJ HOAs would be worried enough to take true action (in court and political persuasion) vs. being idle.

btw - USVI is also in the process of increasing Property Taxes for TS Owners and St John property owners.

Last edited:

sachia007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Speaking of people walking away from their timeshares... a few years ago the Westin bought back at a cheap cost Plat +, gold and whatever other level of WSJ timeshares. Not sure if it happened this year, does anyone know?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Speaking of people walking away from their timeshares... a few years ago the Westin bought back at a cheap cost Plat +, gold and whatever other level of WSJ timeshares. Not sure if it happened this year, does anyone know?

The WSJ-VGV HOA took delinquent villas and resold to HOA - they did not purchase them. This has happened 2-3x (WSJ Thread #1 has these details). The last time SVO/VSE (WSJ) bought them all (see prices in next post). The WSJ-VGV BOD decided it was worth it to the HOA.

The WSJ-VGV HOA was innovative in recovering MFs with these types of sales - and MFs have been relatively flat for years. But IMO this is going to change due to this unfair (and unjustifiable) tax/fee by the USVI and MFs going up due to opening of CV and SB phases (also unfair) - especially as low season owners drop out.

The 3Bd Plat+ sold early on were a bargain in the offer - especially now with the SO increase(s).

Last edited:

Markus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WLR, WKV, WDW
Here were the prices for the most recent purchase made by the developper from the HOA.
IMG_0186.PNG

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
From the above price list - you can see the pressure on low season owners. This was also shown in previous sales. This will not improve and likely to get worse with new fee and increase in MF - and will impact upward to higher seasons.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just saw this new red note on my 2017 resies "A $25.00 per night occupancy fee applies to this reservation.", it wasn't there yesterday...

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Last edited:

tytto

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
We just checked out this morning, and I can confirm the $25 occupancy fee per night. Oh and they're selling Sunset Bay basically with points. They're gorgeous... and I'd love to trade my studio up on the hill but... $$$$

Status
Not open for further replies.