• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St John [Master Thread] - Part 2 (June 2014 and forward)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Can anyone tell me where the island is, at about the 3:30 mark, in this video of St. John? Would love to check it out.

(I cannot recognize most of the areas in this video from the air or shot from a boat. I am not good at recognizing topography!:( I think I recognized some of the beaches, the stairs from the Reef bay trail, the petroglyphs.)

On pins and needles 13 days and counting...

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Can anyone tell me where the island is, at about the 3:30 mark, in this video of St. John? Would love to check it out.

(I cannot recognize most of the areas in this video from the air or shot from a boat. I am not good at recognizing topography!:( I think I recognized some of the beaches, the stairs from the Reef bay trail, the petroglyphs.)

On pins and needles 13 days and counting...

Sandy Spit - on way to Jost Van Dyke. Not StJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Sandy Spit - on way to Jost Van Dyke. Not StJ

Well that was false advertising now wasn't it!! :bawl:o_O Thanx!!

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
HELP. Any suggestions PLEASE!
I know I tend to flip out, but I just called the WSJ about my upcoming rez (May 21)

I booked with star options at the 8 month mark a 2 BR unit sleeps 8. I asked what building we are scheduled to be in and I was told a Virgin Grand unit. The two bedroom units in VGV only sleep 6. My guests are expecting to have their own beds. The resort is putting us in a unit with only two beds, not the three we are supposed to have. I was told because I only have 4 people in the villa they are putting us in a unit that sleeps 6. I have my rez that shows :

Guest Name Gina Xxxxxxxx
Confirmation Date 09/21/2016
Arrival Sunday, 05/21/2017 at 4:00 p.m., local time
Departure Saturday, 06/03/2017 at 10:00 a.m., local time
UXlbxzOStqfb87X9JSU3rUH3XwCVpHFw02dhyQ91Wc9LQaMe3E2n9lyK5Yp51fWSvidSilvYtSM49qbpzEpZG-BFd74GAcx4t5W2fB6nIFyTvvWhjMHPJROGJZL6J3bLqA=s0-d-e1-ft

StarOptions® used for this reservation: 266,575
UXlbxzOStqfb87X9JSU3rUH3XwCVpHFw02dhyQ91Wc9LQaMe3E2n9lyK5Yp51fWSvidSilvYtSM49qbpzEpZG-BFd74GAcx4t5W2fB6nIFyTvvWhjMHPJROGJZL6J3bLqA=s0-d-e1-ft

Villa Type 2 Bedroom Villa
Villa Number Floating - assigned at check-in
Occupancy 8 Maximum
Accessibility Features Does Not Apply
Housekeeping Fees Does Not Apply

What can I do??:bawl:

Don't get me wrong I LOVE VGV, but my guests shouldn't have to share a bed because I didn't bring 8 people.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
I called OS and they agreed I should have a 8 person unit. They changed my rez to show my party is 8 people so they have to give me a 8 person unit. So I guess the lesson here is you need to lie and state you are bringing the maximum number of guests to get what you "paid" for. OS told me to lie and when I check in and say the other 6 guests were arriving later. Ridiculous that I have to go to these lengths to get what I was expecting. Very disappointed with WSJ.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
How else would they know that you need 8 for a 2Bd unless you put that info in during registration? Otherwise you would have to call and have file updated (vs just entering 8)
6 is normal - most likely this 8 occupancy is 2 Q beds in one of the bedrooms. That is specific and limited. Our travel mates prefer one bed - I thought this was normal.
Glad it worked out - our WSJ vacation is <1 month away.

Last edited:

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
It wouldn't have been a problem if it was a couple, but the guests are DH's daughter and her friend. Maybe it wouldn't have mattered to them, I didn't ask.

The 6 person units(only VGV) are way less common than the 8 person units(BV, CV, & SB). I was shocked that a VGV unit was even available for a 13 day rez, aren't most VGV fixed weeks? So that would mean two consecutive weeks in the same unit were available.

WSJ didn't tell me if it was a VGV-TH which at least has a king in 2nd bedroom or the VGV premier that only has a queen. King might have been ok, but expecting them to share a queen when they expected their own beds? I guess I expected to receive what was on my rez, a 2BR that sleeps 8. From now on I will max out the people on my rez. Come up with some exciting guests, Hugh Jackman & family etc.:clap:

No longer flipping out:) Looking forward to my next pain killer...paddling out to waterlemon, hiking Reef Bay and to Ram's head, volunteering at the beach to beach power swim, Bad Kitty to the Bath's & Jost, 3-tank dive ...

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I hadn't seen the 2Bd occupancies (since I already own) - so many of the non-VGV 2Bd have two beds in one of the rooms?
That works to maximize occupancy (but not for us) - but one of our requirements are K beds. The Q is just too small since we are so use to a K. The premier 2Bd VGV has Q size (and MF = 3Bd pool)? That is a deal breaker - for me. YMMV

WSJ/VSE owns a high % of the VGV villas - at one point they owned 10%, and that was before they bought all of the last HOA auction.
When we are there - quite a few villas are unoccupied (esp week 23) - always surprises me, but good for us. The studio next to us usually only has people for a few nights on/off during our 2 week stay.

We can't wait - I just retired and ready to go now. We have friends coming this year that are 1st time visitors.
Enjoy. Too bad you weren't there a few weeks later.
Watch out for those PainKillers!

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
I hadn't seen the 2Bd occupancies (since I already own) - so many of the non-VGV 2Bd have two beds in one of the rooms? Yeah and the beds are doubles, not even queens!!
That works to maximize occupancy (but not for us) - but one of our requirements are K beds. Us Too!! The Q is just too small since we are so use to a K.
The premier 2Bd VGV has Q size (and MF = 3Bd pool)? <--Didn't realize, that sux. That is a deal breaker - for me. YMMV

WSJ/VSE owns a high % of the VGV villas - at one point they owned 10%, and that was before they bought all of the last HOA auction. I didn't know that, wow. I thought that since WSJ was so hard to trade into, that it was owned by someone other than the developer.
When we are there - quite a few villas are unoccupied (esp week 23) - always surprises me, but good for us. The studio next to us usually only has people for a few nights on/off during our 2 week stay.

We can't wait - I just retired and ready to go now. We have friends coming this year that are 1st time visitors.
Enjoy. Too bad you weren't there a few weeks later. Yeah I remembered reading you are there in June, I was hoping the beginning of your stay would overlap the end of ours. Have fun!
Watch out for those PainKillers!:thumbup:

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
If our flight out of STT is at 1pm, is the 9 am car barge going to give us enough time to make the airport(check in, TSA, Customs etc)? Car rented from Amalie so that is not an issue. I remember reading about how much of a zoo the airport is on Sat mornings, I assume trying to catch a spot on the barge is going to be the same. Can I pre-purchase a ticket for a specific time for the return trip on the car barge? If I can pre-purchase how do you communicate that when you get to the car barge lot since a line has usually formed already. (This will happen on June 3 the Saturday after Memorial day weekend, busy busy busy)
If we end up with an abundance of time that is ok too, we can find someplace to purchase more rum to take home.:banana:

melissy123

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
When we flew in to STT, we were warned for the return trip to arrive at the airport at least 3 hours ahead of departure. We arrived 2 hours early, and sailed through, but then again, it wasn't a Saturday. So I would say the 9 a.m. car barge is not going to be enough time.

And we were already in St. Thomas on the day of departure. I don't know if I would have made the same decision if arriving from St. John.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
HELP. Any suggestions PLEASE!
I know I tend to flip out, but I just called the WSJ about my upcoming rez (May 21)

I booked with star options at the 8 month mark a 2 BR unit sleeps 8. I asked what building we are scheduled to be in and I was told a Virgin Grand unit. The two bedroom units in VGV only sleep 6. My guests are expecting to have their own beds. The resort is putting us in a unit with only two beds, not the three we are supposed to have. I was told because I only have 4 people in the villa they are putting us in a unit that sleeps 6. I have my rez that shows :

Guest Name Gina Xxxxxxxx
Confirmation Date 09/21/2016
Arrival Sunday, 05/21/2017 at 4:00 p.m., local time
Departure Saturday, 06/03/2017 at 10:00 a.m., local time

StarOptions® used for this reservation: 266,575

Villa Type 2 Bedroom Villa
Villa Number Floating - assigned at check-in
Occupancy 8 Maximum
Accessibility Features Does Not Apply
Housekeeping Fees Does Not Apply

What can I do??:bawl:

Don't get me wrong I LOVE VGV, but my guests shouldn't have to share a bed because I didn't bring 8 people.

So I did what OS suggested and called 48 hours prior to arrival. Last night they still had me in VGV I said no that is not right I am supposed to be in a 8 person unit. Then he told me the rooms aren't assigned until later last night or this morning. So I called this morning and asked again. The woman who answered the phone refused to give me any information. I said look I am just trying to determine what section I am in, not the specific unit. She said "Jesus" and still wouldn't answer my question. So I called OS again and was told that unit assignment is up to the resort and there is absolutely nothing they can do for me. I said what am I supposed to do if I am assigned a 6 person unit, instead of the 8 person unit. She informed me that an 8 person SO reservation is the same number of options as a 6 person. What good is OS except for coming up with new fees? So my guests could still end up sharing a double bed. A lot of money spent to have to share a bed, plus the lovely new occupancy tax. (I know this is a VI fee, not OS.) Hope this turns out better than it looks to be at this point. Because I called the resort will probably put us in the only underground unit they have for problem guests.o_O

vistana101

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV (x2)
So I did what OS suggested and called 48 hours prior to arrival. Last night they still had me in VGV I said no that is not right I am supposed to be in a 8 person unit. Then he told me the rooms aren't assigned until later last night or this morning. So I called this morning and asked again. The woman who answered the phone refused to give me any information. I said look I am just trying to determine what section I am in, not the specific unit. She said "Jesus" and still wouldn't answer my question. So I called OS again and was told that unit assignment is up to the resort and there is absolutely nothing they can do for me. I said what am I supposed to do if I am assigned a 6 person unit, instead of the 8 person unit. She informed me that an 8 person SO reservation is the same number of options as a 6 person. What good is OS except for coming up with new fees? So my guests could still end up sharing a double bed. A lot of money spent to have to share a bed, plus the lovely new occupancy tax. (I know this is a VI fee, not OS.) Hope this turns out better than it looks to be at this point. Because I called the resort will probably put us in the only underground unit they have for problem guests.o_O

Sorry you had to deal with all of that! How did things turn out at check-in?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Gina - I am confused. You say you called OS. Does this mean Owner Services in Orlando? They are not the ones to call as they do not assign rooms. You should be talking to the Front Desk at WSJ.

If calling OS - then I can understand your frustration, and theirs... This is not their fault or responsibility.

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
Can't you alter your reservation to reflect 8 people in the room? That way it will be for the maximum amount of people for the villa size that you made a reservation for?

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Sorry you had to deal with all of that! How did things turn out at check-in?
A very nice young woman in reception found us a 2 bedroom with two double beds in second BR. She spent about 20 minutes figuring where she could put us for 13 nights. We actually have a 2 BR loft that sleeps 10(2734). Way more than we need, but a very nice unit. I do miss parking outside our unit on the hill.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
FYI to anyone heading to WSJ the mosquitos are pretty intense. Remember the anti-itch gel too!

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Can't you alter your reservation to reflect 8 people in the room? That way it will be for the maximum amount of people for the villa size that you made a reservation for?

We did do this, but it didn't help. (Actually this is what OS did when we called the first time.)

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Gina - I am confused. You say you called OS. Does this mean Owner Services in Orlando? They are not the ones to call as they do not assign rooms. You should be talking to the Front Desk at WSJ.

If calling OS - then I can understand your frustration, and theirs... This is not their fault or responsibility.

I called OS after the reception desk confirmed we were still on the hill and wouldn't change to reflect an 8 person rez.

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Is part of the problem that there are at least 4 homeowner associations at WSJ and that they can't easily move you from one to another?

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got my pre-reservation for my Pool Villa. I should get my second week pre-resie (back to back weeks in a couple of days).

Hopefully I don't get switched...to a another non Pool 3BR Villa. That would be a very significant downgrade for the kids :mad:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Just got my pre-reservation for my Pool Villa. I should get my second week pre-resie (back to back weeks in a couple of days).

Hopefully I don't get switched...to a another non Pool 3BR Villa. That would be a very significant downgrade for the kids :mad:

The pool villas are fixed weeks/fixed villas - you should get what you own (and not what someone else owns)... why would you get moved?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I called OS after the reception desk confirmed we were still on the hill and wouldn't change to reflect an 8 person rez.

Got it - hopefully it works out.
Added - it appears it did - as said...
The Front Desk does have ability to move villas - even between phases.

Hopefully the mosquitoes will let up.
Rain = Mosquitoes
It has been a wet Spring.
I prefer mosquitoes to the stinging plankton...

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.