• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St John [Master Thread] - Part 2 (June 2014 and forward)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did receive the email from Vistana regarding the WSJ being closed thru the end of the year.

I keep playing out the logistics of a timeline for the Westin. My results are always bad to worse for a reasonable opening date. The island still has no power and at what point is the Westin still running its generator for an empty resort? Supplies are limited and rationed
View attachment 4767

How sad for all involved. And this is May 2018!

I saw that posted on Facebook the other day. Our reservations are for next July. The restaurant being closed does not mean the resort will be closed. It might be 1-2 months before an insurance adjuster can tour the resort. There might be a need for structural analysis of the damaged structures. I am not expecting all the inspections and assessments completed until December.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
I did receive the email from Vistana regarding the WSJ being closed thru the end of the year.

I keep playing out the logistics of a timeline for the Westin. My results are always bad to worse for a reasonable opening date. The island still has no power and at what point is the Westin still running its generator for an empty resort? Supplies are limited and rationed

I saw that posted on Facebook the other day. Our reservations are for next July. The restaurant being closed does not mean the resort will be closed. It might be 1-2 months before an insurance adjuster can tour the resort. There might be a need for structural analysis of the damaged structures. I am not expecting all the inspections and assessments completed until December.
What section do you own? I still haven't received the email.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
The past few days, I have tried researching part hurricane events to St. Thomas and St. John. I was trying to compare the damage caused by each event and the length of recover to the Virgin Islands current disaster. Irma seems to be the worse of the past 100 years.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Wonder if David & Robin received it. They're in VGV like me.

Gina, I own in both VGV and Coral Vista. The reservation I had in December was CV

I really don't think they will be sending notification of resort closure to people with reservations next summer, it is just too soon to know abiut the state of the resort.

My VGV Resie is week 7. Will see if I get any further notification.

Edit
Both Delta and American are allowing cancelations for STT flights thru 10/31/17
St Martin cancelations are allowed thru 12/31/17

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
image.jpg

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Gina, I own in both VGV and Coral Vista. The reservation I had in December was CV

I really don't think they will be sending notification of resort closure to people with reservations next summer, it is just too soon to know abiut the state of the resort.

My VGV Resie is week 7. Will see if I get any further notification.

Mine is week 8 so I am in the same boat as you. Plus I added one night to my trip staying at Marriott Frenchmen's Reef at the beginning of my stay. Wanted to get acclimated before we did the 8 Tuff Miles. I'm not sure what I will do if WSJ is open and the Marriott is still closed. Sleep in the rental Jeep that I hope still exists.

Johnsky

Reaction score
Mine is week 8 so I am in the same boat as you. Plus I added one night to my trip staying at Marriott Frenchmen's Reef at the beginning of my stay. Wanted to get acclimated before we did the 8 Tuff Miles. I'm not sure what I will do if WSJ is open and the Marriott is still closed. Sleep in the rental Jeep that I hope still exists.
I have not received the email even though I have a BV reservation for Nov. 4, 2017.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Egads, I hadn't thought of the impact of renters. I think that at the very least, Okwiater may have the duty to notify his guest that the resort will be closed through 12/31/17, which might open up an unpleasant dialogue and quite possibly a chargeback from Paypal/credit card company if you accepted these for payment, as these companies are notorious for siding with consumers.

Personally, although I said "no refunds for any reason," I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable making a big profit. After speaking with a lawyer, I'd certainly consider refunding all but the cost of the MFs as a good will gesture, and/or offering up the same remedy that VSE provided, such as depositing the week in II and offering to search for another location, or trying to book another location with SOs, assuming your unit came with SOs. I'd also add language in future contracts that covered hurricanes and unforeseen resort closures.

What a mess.
I would agree. Renters will have a lot of charge-back issues because of this and as you say, PayPal and CC companies tend to side with the customer on these. I have been reading over on TripAdvisor in the Sint Maarten forum and there are a lot of concerned travelers with rental bookings. One person booked a 45 person wedding. It still surprises me that someone would pay so much for a trip but not spend the little extra for travel insurance.

ekinggill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Would you feel the same way if you were one of the 35?
St Thomas Port and Marriott are saying the other was the reason for denying those 35+ people
access to the ship. And St Thomas officials are busy handling a disaster situation for a long time to come...
IMO in this situation, port officials would be more concerned with who is disembarking from a ship rather than who is getting on.

From the New York Daily News:

U.S. Virgin Island officials have since confirmed dock security prevented those left behind from boarding the boat.

"What occurred with non-Mariott guests was a necessity, that is normal, legal protocol," U.S. Virign Islands Department of Tourism commissioner Beverly Nicholas-Doty told NBC.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Surprised you did not get the email. Many on Facebook have gotten it

At the suggestion of a Facebook poster I am now working with someone from the resolution department that will allow me to use My HomeOptions elsewhere in the network this year. I will keep you posted.

My WSJ week 7 that I have rented (no refund) is in the VSE Network. It is in my contracts that I recommend travel insurance and give a link to a travel insurance company. Will see what happens
Keep us posted, it will be interesting to see if they budge on letting you convert to StarOptions. I am not sure they want to set that kind of precedent.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
I would agree. Renters will have a lot of charge-back issues because of this and as you say, PayPal and CC companies tend to side with the customer on these. I have been reading over on TripAdvisor in the Sint Maarten forum and there are a lot of concerned travelers with rental bookings. One person booked a 45 person wedding. It still surprises me that someone would pay so much for a trip but not spend the little extra for travel insurance.

Already working it out with my renters. I am offering to rebook them but am not offering a refund. I always recommend travel insurance as part of my rental contracts.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Keep us posted, it will be interesting to see if they budge on letting you convert to StarOptions. I am not sure they want to set that kind of precedent.

As unfair as it seems, your usage rights are to your owned unit or to deposit in II. I see no reason for Vistana to allow a voluntary resale owner to receive StarOptions. It's not like people don't know that the Caribbean is subject to hurricanes from time to time.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
From the New York Daily News:

U.S. Virgin Island officials have since confirmed dock security prevented those left behind from boarding the boat.

"What occurred with non-Mariott guests was a necessity, that is normal, legal protocol," U.S. Virign Islands Department of Tourism commissioner Beverly Nicholas-Doty told NBC.
The problem wasn't who was and who wasn't a Marriott guest, it was who was and who wan't on the manifest. Marriott didn't have the time or resources to obtain names and DOBs for guests not staying at their hotels. They did what they had to do for their guests. These people shouldn't be blaming Marriott, they should be blaming their hotels for not taking care of their guests.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Already working it out with my renters. I am offering to rebook them but am not offering a refund. I always recommend travel insurance as part of my rental contracts.

FWIW, I think that's quite nice of you.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I just received the email.

Me too.
Enjoying our time at WKORV. Weather here has been awesome (if you like the heat) - writing from our favorite spot on beach.

We are all cried out.
Going to wait a few months and see how things pan out.
Figure it will take a while to hear from VGV HOA BOD. Hopefully sooner than later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wonder if David & Robin received it. They're in VGV like me.

I didn't receive it and own 1 VGV and 1 SB.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Me too.
Enjoying our time at WKORV. Weather here has been awesome (if you like the heat) - writing from our favorite spot on beach.

We are all cried out.
Going to wait a few months and see how things pan out.
Figure it will take a while to hear from VGV HOA BOD. Hopefully sooner than later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I still haven't received an email. My VGV resies are for Thanksgiving and week after, so that probably explains why no emails yet. My SB resie is for Easter week, I should have received one already:ponder:

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
As unfair as it seems, your usage rights are to your owned unit or to deposit in II. I see no reason for Vistana to allow a voluntary resale owner to receive StarOptions. It's not like people don't know that the Caribbean is subject to hurricanes from time to time.
But let's think about that deposit for a second. Vistana is allowing a deposit of an uninhabitable unit because they can substitute the actual deposit with another unit so there is not a like for like there due to exceptional circumstances.

Being as a wsj > ii would always be a bad trade and they are pulling the inventory they are depositing to ii from somewhere ( lots of mud season ski or shoulder in the Carolinas?) then why can't they create a similar imbalance on the SO system.

Bank and borrow also creates a Theta based imbalance.

Status
Not open for further replies.