• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What is so bad about Tillamook?? sp

shagnut

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I leave Thursday from Portland ( in July) I plan on driving to Astoria so Kelli can see where the Goonies was filmed, staying no further down than Rockaway Beach before heading on to Newport on Friday. I found the most adorable cottage called Curds & Whey in Tillamook but people on the Oregon Coast forum said don't stay in Tillamook. Why I know it's not on the coast but how far out of the way am I going if I do stay in Tillamook. Will I have to backtrack to see what I've missed by SEASide / Cannon Beach?? I'be looked at the map but still confused. Help !!
shaggy

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
It's one night. Tillamook is a modest little country town, without a lot of pizzazz and flash, nestled in open farmland along the highway. But if you're coming from time spent in Portland, and you're heading down to Newport, I think Tillamook would be a fine place to stay over. If nothing else, you can rest up before your fun starts Friday in Newport. I don't know what's going on with the Tillamook Cheese Factory, but if it's open, do the free tour. Samples of excellent Tillamook cheese are available, and I think they also serve Tillamook ice cream, which is among my favorites. Enjoy your trip!

Dave

shagnut

TUG Member
Reaction score
The place I wanted to stay was so adorable and reasonable plus only one step up. Will I be backtracking? If I run out of time Thurs and don't make it as far as Seaside and only see Astoria & Cannon Beach go to Tillamook spend the night. Where will I run into the first beach town from Tillamook

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
This is fine as a place to sleep. However, you said you wanted to be no further south than Rockaway Beach and this is south of that and a completely different type of place. If you want to walk on the beach, Rockaway Beach works but Tillamook doesn't. If you want to be close to go back to Seaside or Cannon Beach after checking in, this is way too far south. Try something at Arch Cape if you don't want to stay in Cannon Beach or Seaside.
The distances are deceiving. The stretch from Seaside south through Tillamook is particularly slow with lots of little towns to slow down for and few passing areas for the slow moving trailers which will be plentiful in July.
Rockaway Beach is a long stretch of beach with motels etc lined up; probably my least favorite spot. However, in July, you will have lots of competition for a place to stay.
Sue

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
The place I wanted to stay was so adorable and reasonable plus only one step up. Will I be backtracking? If I run out of time Thurs and don't make it as far as Seaside and only see Astoria & Cannon Beach go to Tillamook spend the night. Where will I run into the first beach town from Tillamook

Cannon Beach is just south of Seaside and Astoria is not too far north. Tillamook is an hour (if you are lucky) south of those towns. If you want to spend time in those towns, stay there. Anything south of Arch Cape is too far away.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
It is about an hour from Seaside to Tillamook along Hwy 101 (2 lane twisting coast Hwy). Hwy 101 runs through Tillamook. I live in Salem Oregon. I would not do the back track. I would do Cannon Beach vice Seaside. Old town Cannon Beach offers a fair number of good Art Galleries and a number of tourist stores. There is a nice Beach and Haystack Rock. You can do a fair amount of Cannon Beach without rushing in 4 hours. They are currently rebuilding the Visitor Center at the Tillamook Cheese Factory. I do not know if they opened a temporary Visitor Center but assume they did. In Astoria is a funky restaurant called the Columbian Cafe. Cash only no credit or debit cards. We eat there whenever we are at that part of the Oregon Coast. Breakfast is the best meal. Kick out of Portland early and eat breakfast there. Tillamook is only about 30 minutes from Rockaway. If you are a Costco member there is a Costco with Gas Station just south of Warrenton. Remember in Oregon you can not pump your own Gas. Seaside does have an Outlet Mall as does Lincoln City. We really like the Eddie Bauer at the Seaside location. Have a great time. You can contact me if you have any questions. There are so many beautiful areas along the Oregon Coast it would be nice if you could take 2 days to travel from Portland to Newport.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
A little south of Cannon Beach is Hug Point State Park. It is one of Oregon's hidden gems. It is only worth a stop at low tide. There is Beach Water Fall. Go down to the Beach and walk north.

Nancy

TUG Member
Reaction score
We loved Rockaway Beach resort and area including. Tillamook. Liked both cheese factories.

Nancy

shagnut

TUG Member
Reaction score
A little late but thanks for all the help. I found a unit at Lanai at the Cove in Seaside .My unit faces the pool instead off the ocean but hey for $89 I can handle that .

I will be posting my itinerary soon.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
A little late but thanks for all the help. I found a unit at Lanai at the Cove in Seaside .My unit faces the pool instead off the ocean but hey for $89 I can handle that .

I will be posting my itinerary soon.

Sounds perfect for your needs. After dark there's nothing to see out to sea anyway. ;)

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
OK you are at the very Southern Part of Seaside. You are about a mile walk to the north to downtown Seaside. You are not far from the Osprey Cafe. The quality of the breakfast can vary but it is normally good.