• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What is the best way to rent HGVC time without first reserving specific time.

dktraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC west 57th, Marbrisa, Elara
We currently are owners at 3 Hilton properties with elite plus status. We have a surplus of points and would like to rent out our time. Is there a way to rent out a property without first reserving a date. I would think this creates more options.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Not really possible because you might find a renter and by then the inventory is gone. You would be better to find a high demand week at your home resort, put that up for rent, and if it does not rent cancel it prior to the 31 cancellation period. Have a backup plan to rescue or bank points into HHonors or RCI if rental fails.

Find a holiday week or other high demand week.

OR place an add with a range of week, but that you have to check inventory. Frankly I find that this is too much work, as I get a lot of asks for impossible finds.

OR Do a hybrid, find a high demand week, and in the rental notice, state that other weeks MAY be available depending IF inventory is available. Rentals usually happen 1 to 4 months prior to checkin. I have rarely rented farther in advance, unless it is a very specific holiday week.

dktraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you for your response. What if I'm making a reservation that is not my home resort, but within the availability window? Would I still have a cancellation charge if before the 31 day window.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Per HGVC rules you can only rent out your home resort/home period.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Thank you for your response. What if I'm making a reservation that is not my home resort, but within the availability window? Would I still have a cancellation charge if before the 31 day window.

There is no penalty for cancelling more than 31 days out, but you would lose your booking fee.
OTOH, there is no loss for changing more than 31 daysout, or if your change uses the same or more points.

While it is against the rules to rent anything other than a home-week, it does happen that some ignorant fools will get a GC for "new friends" who cover your "costs" -- not that I ever have.

dktraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So even though I could reserve at any other resort besides my home resort in the reservation window, If I want to rent it out it must be my home resort? How is that different?

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
The difference is between renting what you own and using the Hilton internal exchange system and renting out what you don't own. More importantly HGVC makes the rules for the club membership and made this one:

Commercial Use. Accommodations available
through the Club are for the personal use
and enjoyment of Members, the Members’
immediate family, and guests personally known
and acquainted with Members . The Club strictly
forbids the use of the Club for commercial
purposes of Members or their guests including
the use of a confirmed reservation in an Affiliated
Resort for any rental, resale or other commercial
use (other than an owner’s Home Week) .

dktraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you. I wanted to make sure I interpreted it properly.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
So even though I could reserve at any other resort besides my home resort in the reservation window, If I want to rent it out it must be my home resort? How is that different?

As stated above, you are not 'sposed to rent any "club" booking, even one at your home resort.
You are only 'sposed to use a "home-week" reservation as that is defined by The Rules...

The same size, same season, for 1-week beginning on the resort's weekly check-in day at your home resort, using all the points allocated for that unit for that year (no saved or borrowed points).

I recommend that you read The Rules 3 - 4 times, end to end, to at least know where to look for answers. See: https://club.hiltongrandvacations.com/en/help/resources (scroll down)