• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What to buy going forward?

Campbell Vaughn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana St Augustine
1) Where do you want your home resort to be?
We own at Vistana Villages, bought 44000 staroptions from developer(before we found tug)EOY. Have 1 week banked in II now, so confused about how to use this. Anyway, we like the idea of traveling to Disney EOY(wish I would have known Disney VC was part of RCI). Just came back from owners update and I wanted to kick everyone of them in the balls. Basically told me I may not be able to book travel if I dont upgrade. I told them to take their blankety blank and shove it up their ass. I feel like I already threw away an initial investment. Anyway, I probably would have converted to flex if they had only hit me up for 5-6k more but they hit up for 17k more(I was pissed). I asked what the fewest amount of flex points I had to buy to convert my options and they never gave me a answer. So, here I am.

Home resort... Destin, Orlando, Hilton Head, Gaitlinburgh... we live in GA and love to travel so anyplace that is 3 Star and above. We have young kids.

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?

Maybe but not necessarily and we already own 44,000 EOY at Vistana Villages

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?

Curious why trade and not points? I am assuming you are asking where we would like to travel outside of our home resort. 1. Hawaii, 2. N.Y., NY 3. California 4. Virgin Islands 5. New Zealand

4) How many people do you usually travel with?

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule?

wife is an assistant principal, so school schedule. Need enough points to book during Thanksgiving week, December 18 through the 1st week in January, or last week of March 1st week in April. We take a week vacation in Fernandina Beach every summer... so summer is covered.

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance?

yes

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time?

yes but would like options for short stays as well

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars?

3 star and up

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing?

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year?

2000, but would prefer as low as possible.

11) Are you a detail oriented planner?

yes

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do?

yes

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
You might think about some resale Wyndham points. We own resale Wyndham points (most of ours are deeded at Smoky Mountains which has reasonable maintenance fees). We like Wyndham's Destin choices, two Smoky Mountain resorts, San Antonio, Washington DC, Waikiki Beach, and Wyndham Bonnet Creek at Lake Buena Vista Florida resorts. Wyndham points ownership includes an RCI membership. You can trade into Disney Vacation Club with Wyndham points - although it would most likely be a one bedroom at Disney's Saratoga Springs resort or Old Key West.

Besides Wyndham resale points, we also own Disney Vacation Club points deeded st Saratoga, an EOY platinum Marriott Grande Vista two bedroom, and an independent EOY two bedroom week 27 at Fairways of the Mountain at Lake Lure North Carolina. We are very happy with our varied ownerships.

Campbell Vaughn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana St Augustine
All those places you listed we love. My family, when I was a teenager and into early 20's, owned a TS at Fairway Forrest. It was the week of Thanksgiving. And the week of July 4... we would all come up and play golf.

Have you had problems booking at the Destin resorts during prime season since the ARP is at 10 months instead of 13?

You might think about some resale Wyndham points. We own resale Wyndham points (most of ours are deeded at Smoky Mountains which has reasonable maintenance fees). We like Wyndham's Destin choices, two Smoky Mountain resorts, San Antonio, Washington DC, Waikiki Beach, and Wyndham Bonnet Creek at Lake Buena Vista Florida resorts. Wyndham points ownership includes an RCI membership. You can trade into Disney Vacation Club with Wyndham points - although it would most likely be a one bedroom at Disney's Saratoga Springs resort or Old Key West.

Besides Wyndham resale points, we also own Disney Vacation Club points deeded st Saratoga, an EOY platinum Marriott Grande Vista two bedroom, and an independent EOY two bedroom week 27 at Fairways of the Mountain at Lake Lure North Carolina. We are very happy with our varied ownerships.

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
No problem seeing availability for Destin or Panama City at 10 months with my Smoky points, but I travel during May for the most part. I did find late March/early April availability at Panama City for my niece. If you bought Wyndham CWA (Club Wyndham Access) points you would have 13 month booking rights at most resorts. We own a small amount of CWA points, too. Since you need school schedule times, Wyndham CWA points might work better for you.