• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What to do near Marriott's Ocean Pointe (palm beach shores)?

HaroldW

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're staying here beginning next week, on June 30th. We've never been to Florida - what are some good things to do around this area? We're not late-night party goers, we love the beach, and normal sightseeing activities, things unique to the area. Any suggestions? Also, tips on making this a good stay at this resort? Thanks in advance.

Davidr

TUG Member
Reaction score
We go to OP almost every summer. I recommend Juno Beach Cafe for breakfast. The sunset view while eating dinner at the Sailfish marina is very nice. The food is good but not great but the view is worth it. We've had a couple of good meals at Paddy Mac's Irish Restaurant in Palm Beach Gardens. Cityplace in West Palm Beach is nice if it's not too hot. Lots of restaurants and shopping. At OP the burgers and chicken quesadillas at the tikki bar by the pool are good.
J Alexander's in PBG is a high end chain that imho make a good steak. Get the mac and cheese side. Shop at the Publix supermarket in PBG. Its right off the north end of the island and its nicer than the one on Blue Heron or Northlake. Get gelato at Gelato Grotto in PBG.

The Loggerhead Marine life Center is cool to see the rescued turtles. The McCarthy's Wildlife Sanctuary is great (bring a hat and lots of water) Call to reserve before you go since they allow only guided tours and its 30+ minutes away. The Sailfish marina Palm Beach water taxi give you a water front view of some of the Palm Beach homes.

If you drive thru Riviera Beach make sure you lock your doors. Avoid most of West Palm Beach except downtown and Cityplace. Don't stop on Blue Heron Blvd until you get to the bridge.

Be careful parking under the buildings, the garage is a little tight.

Last edited:

HaroldW

TUG Member
Reaction score
We go to OP almost every summer. I recommend Juno Beach Cafe for breakfast. The sunset view while eating dinner at the Sailfish marina is very nice. The food is good but not great but the view is worth it. We've had a couple of good meals at Paddy Mac's Irish Restaurant in Palm Beach Gardens. Cityplace in West Palm Beach is nice if it's not too hot. Lots of restaurants and shopping. At OP the burgers and chicken quesadillas at the tikki bar by the pool are good.
J Alexander's in PBG is a high end chain that imho make a good steak. Get the mac and cheese side. Shop at the Publix supermarket in PBG. Its right off the north end of the island and its nicer than the one on Blue Heron or Northlake. Get gelato at Gelato Grotto in PBG.

The Loggerhead Marine life Center is cool to see the rescued turtles. The McCarthy's Wildlife Sanctuary is great (bring a hat and lots of water) Call to reserve before you go since they allow only guided tours and its 30+ minutes away. The Sailfish marina Palm Beach water taxi give you a water front view of some of the Palm Beach homes.

If you drive thru Riviera Beach make sure you lock your doors. Avoid most of West Palm Beach except downtown and Cityplace. Don't stop on Blue Heron Blvd until you get to the bridge.

Be careful parking under the buildings, the garage is a little tight.

Wow, detailed! Thank you!

beachgirls67

Reaction score
I agree with all of the above. Some additional places that we like are Rocco's Tacos on Clematis Street and U Tiki Beach in Jupiter. U Tiki is on the water overlooking the lighthouse. Also, if you love the water try booking a tour with South Florida Paddle. We met just South of Macarthur Park on Singer Island. We did it on our last trip and had a blast. They gave a quick paddle board lesson and eco tour of Munyon Island.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Ok, so West Palm Beach is dangerous? First I HEARD

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Riviera Beach is perhaps one of the poorest cities in America. We always drive with the doors locked, regardless if we are on Blue Heron anyway. In fact, most cars these days automatically lock the doors when you put the car in gear. We have often stopped at the Walgreens and BP station on the mainland side of the bridge. Also shop at the Publix there. Though we don't usually stop anywhere past there through to the highway.

Along the coast, you won't have any issues and perhaps in the main shopping district. Outside of that, there are probably areas you don't want to be at past dark.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
This is true of lots of places around the world. We usually don't wander too far off the main roads.Thanks for the warning!
Silentg

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is true of lots of places around the world. We usually don't wander too far off the main roads.Thanks for the warning!
Silentg

I agree. We have been to this area many times and have never felt unsafe.

peppymom03

Reaction score
We are going there next month and now I'm a little worried. It's our first trip to Florida besides Orlando. I didnt expect to be in a high crime area. There is a Publix in Riviera Beach, is that one good to shop at?
My daughter and I arriving a day early by plane and were planning to Uber to Ocean Pointe. Is that a good idea or does anyone have a car service recommendation? Also are there lifeguards at the beach? And do pool chairs have to be reserved real early like Myrtle Beach? Lots of questions in one post, lol.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
We are going there next month and now I'm a little worried. It's our first trip to Florida besides Orlando. I didnt expect to be in a high crime area. There is a Publix in Riviera Beach, is that one good to shop at?
My daughter and I arriving a day early by plane and were planning to Uber to Ocean Pointe. Is that a good idea or does anyone have a car service recommendation? Also are there lifeguards at the beach? And do pool chairs have to be reserved real early like Myrtle Beach? Lots of questions in one post, lol.
I would recommend a rental car while at Ocean Pointe. There isn't a lot within walking distance. The Publix right across the bridge in Riviera beach is new and just fine.

Berea1

TUG Member
Reaction score
NBC had 5 minutes on last night's news about the high crime due to 400 drug clinics that have set up there for drug recovering patients.
Sunday Night with Megyn Kelly is on national news right now at 7 PM with the heartache of drug abuse and going to Florida for rehab advice in the drug clinics in Palm Beach County. Patrick

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
A rental car is a good idea, however if you aren't planning daily use then you may want to consider using Uber. I was at Ocean Pointe earlier this month and took Uber "Pool" from Ocean Pointe to the West Palm Airport (PBI) for $9.95.

Uber Pool means they pick up another client on the way to your destination and hence the discounted price.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
The island is perfectly safe regardless of what many people want to believe. The area east of the Blue Heron bridge is a little scketchy but there has been a lot of improvement over the last 10 years. Many of the homeless we use to see have been moved out and there's been some new developement that's upgraded the area. Still, we drive to the south end of the island and shop at the Publix in the shopping mall there because it's a nicer neigherboorhood. As far as Singer Island we've ALWAYS felt safe. We've owned at Ocean Pointe since 2001 and I'm only aware of one shooting on the island in all that time. The biggest thing to keep an eye on is your speed and coming to a full stop at the stop signs. It's my belief they fund their police dept. with tourist ticket fees. They are aggressive with their traffic enforcement.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
The biggest thing to keep an eye on is your speed and coming to a full stop at the stop signs. It's my belief they fund their police dept. with tourist ticket fees. They are aggressive with their traffic enforcement.
So true, at least in my experience. I got pulled over on the island for running a stop sign. I suspect it was a "California Stop" :oops:. I was let off with a warning.

Davidr

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've never felt unsafe on the island including the part that is Rivera Beach. You just have to be cautious on the mainland part of Rivera Beach and parts of West Palm. The Palm Beach Shores PD has a high profile. Its a tiny town and I always see the PD driving around. I am very careful to make full and complete stops at all the stop signs. The Publix in Rivera Beach is fine but small. We prefer the one in PBG. If you don't have a car then you may just want to shop at the Grator Gator since you can walk there. We always have a car so I can't comment on car services or uber. There are 5 or 6 restaurants within walking distance but we like to be mobile. There are no lifeguards on the beach at OP. There are life guards at the Rivera Beach public beach. You can't reserve pool chairs. They are supposed to remove towels from chairs that have been unoccupied for a certain amount of time.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Grantor gator has a surprising amount of stocked items, including a decent meat counter. It doesn't look like much from the outside but is actually a pretty decent grocery store.

peppymom03

Reaction score
So we survived Blue Heron Blvd! LOL! It really was not bad at all driving through there but I have to say it was much nicer going out the oppsite way. We enjoyed the resort, the hot weather, and the palm trees. We were planning on renting a boat but there was some rain the last 2 days so we basically stuck to the resort. We went to Palm Beach Gardens for dinner and movies. We were in Pompano oceanside and it was fine. We walked to Kingfish one morning and I would not want to stay there. It looked dismal compared to the rest of the resort, the pool area looked worn.My kids were disappointed in the beach though. The drop off was annoying and the waves broke way out. We shopped at Publix in Palm Beach Gardens too.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
Glad you had a good time. Have you posted a review? That will be helpful to others that may go there.
Silentg

WBP

TUG Member
Reaction score

Look carefully at the details in here; a telling story of West Palm Beach:

http://www.city-data.com/city/West-Palm-Beach-Florida.html

Amongst the interesting things that I discovered, above, is the popularity of West Palm Beach amongst sex offenders.

Regarding Blue Heron Boulevard, I'd avoid it at all expense. That's the very reason why Marriott's driving directions to Singer Island route you to US1 instead of Blue Heron Boulevard.