• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What's One Thing You Wish You Had Known...[before you went to Hawaii]

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I wish we had discovered Hawaii years ago. We live in coastal southern California. We have ocean, we have sun, we have palm trees, saw no reason to go to Hawaii until we started timesharing and figured we'd give it a try. OMG, the difference is night and day! In fact we love Waikiki Beach because you can spend a week without a car. Can't get anywhere in Los Angeles without a car. We just love Maui -- the air is somehow different. Took our first trip in June 2007. Our second trip was Jan 2008, third Nov 2008. We now go every year, usually in January, usually for two weeks. And I kid you not when I say we have never been in or lounged around a swimming pool, and the last time we got our ankles wet in the ocean is probably over five years ago. Our water activities are strictly limited to dinner cruises and whale watching trips.

hjtug

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't assume everyone is "Hawaiian" just because they have the look. Hawaii is extremely diverse, and there are many races integrated into the culture. It's Ok to describe someone as "a local man, or a local guy" etc. They may not be Hawaiian.

Denise,
I believe I understand your point but I wonder if "Hawaiian" is different than, for example, "Virginian, New Yorker, Californian, Alaskan", etc. Is there no word, other than "local", for someone who has lived in Hawaii for a while but may not be of Polynesian descent?

Magic1962

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Grandview at Las Vegas 122000 points annually....
In particular, I agree with #3: Last time we were on HI, we flew out a day early, just to have the unit for the full day, plus we were able to use fewer FF miles by leaving before the weekend. It was really nice to be able to enjoy that last day and refresh before heading to the airport. Probably is an easier decision for those spending 2 weeks or more on the islands.

OTOH, those just in for one week might want to cling on to those last few hours, even if 'homeless.' I recall one trip to Kauai where we had to spend the day homeless before the redeye, and I used the time to take an open-door helicopter ride. What a great send-off!
*** when we flew in Nov. on a red eye out of Kauai we asked the people at the Sheerwater if we could leave our luggage at the timeshare.... and they let us take showers in one of the smaller rooms before we left for the airport..... no cost.... all you can do is ask.... Dave

DianeG

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is standard for resorts in Hawaii to hold your luggage for the day and to let you use the resort amenities. Most have a shower for you to use at the end of the day as well. Since so many flights leave in the evening, they're used to it and can accommodate your last day's needs. My TS tags & collects the luggage in the boardroom and has showers behind the reception area and in the pool area.

puppymommo

TUG Member
Reaction score
The word Hawaiian is just not the same as Californian, Virginian, etc. Hawaiian refers exclusively to persons of native Hawaiian descent. You can find blond haired blue eyed students at Kamehameha Schools a private school for native Hawaiians. They have to be able to prove their ancestry to get in. There are very few 100% Hawaiians. The term Hawaiian does not refer to people of Polynesian descent. For example, don't call a Samoan "Hawaiian". Bad form. I lived in Hawaii for 12 years, and the multicultural environment can be complex. Don't get too worried about it, though. "Locals" are very used to tourists not knowing the ethnic etiquette and most will not take offense. By the way, a Caucasian person born and raised in Hawaii is referred to as a "local haole". My daughter was born in Hawaii but raised on the Mainland, so she is just a plain old "haole".

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Going to Maui is completely different from going to Kauai, because on Kauai, Kauai really holds onto the culture of their ancestors. Oahu has the Polynesian Culture Center, and that is a great island for that because it would be easy for Oahu to lose their culture, as big as it is, and as diverse as it's become. Maui is becoming populated with a lot of people who don't really care about the culture (same as Oahu). Did I say "culture" enough?:p

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wish I had known that the Big Island is boring and that 12 days is about 8 or 9 days too many.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I wish I had known that the Big Island is boring and that 12 days is about 8 or 9 days too many.

We are doing Kauai next year and five days there is about my limit, same for the Big Island. Oahu I can do 6 or 7 easy, Maui we've done 12 (were booked for 14 only to find out, whoops, can't get a flight home on Easter Sunday; we've managed to accidentally book a vacation on Easter three times when booking 13 months out) but I think I could do 18 days. I can do 3 weeks plus a day or so in Europe or when traveling by car, but anything longer I start to long for my own bed smothered in four cats.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Every island is different. And so are the visitors. :)

Dave

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
The Big Island is great, if you stay at the Hiltons in Waikoloa Village. I love Kingsland and Kohala Suites and would love to go again sometime, especially if I could go with my grandkids to see the volcano. They would love it.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
The Big Island is great, if you stay at the Hiltons in Waikoloa Village. I love Kingsland and Kohala Suites and would love to go again sometime, especially if I could go with my grandkids to see the volcano. They would love it.
I agree to a point. We love both the Waikoloa resort area AND Kona...and Volcano Village. A perfect visit on the Big Island is one week in Kona, one week in Waikola resort area (although Paniolo Greens in Waikoloa Village is also okay) and a few nights at the Kilauea Lodge in Volcano Village.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Denise,
I believe I understand your point but I wonder if "Hawaiian" is different than, for example, "Virginian, New Yorker, Californian, Alaskan", etc. Is there no word, other than "local", for someone who has lived in Hawaii for a while but may not be of Polynesian descent?

Old timers are "kama'ainas", and newbies are "malihinis" :p

The word Hawaiian is just not the same as Californian, Virginian, etc. Hawaiian refers exclusively to persons of native Hawaiian descent. You can find blond haired blue eyed students at Kamehameha Schools a private school for native Hawaiians. They have to be able to prove their ancestry to get in. There are very few 100% Hawaiians. The term Hawaiian does not refer to people of Polynesian descent. For example, don't call a Samoan "Hawaiian". Bad form. I lived in Hawaii for 12 years, and the multicultural environment can be complex. Don't get too worried about it, though. "Locals" are very used to tourists not knowing the ethnic etiquette and most will not take offense. By the way, a Caucasian person born and raised in Hawaii is referred to as a "local haole". My daughter was born in Hawaii but raised on the Mainland, so she is just a plain old "haole".

+1

sun starved Gayle

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just learned this the hard way after our 5th trip to Kauai last January. Bring something warmish to wear if it rains or is windy ! It was rainy and very windy (we actually lost power at the resort for a while) several days we were there, and I was cold. I was wearing my long sleeved rash guard water shirt to keep warm.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score

The is where we stayed, Kingsland, and my parents stayed at Kohala Suities. The resort was quite stellar and all of the Hilton pools, including the Hilton Waikoloa Village, were great. Hilton Waikoloa's protected snorkeling and dolphin program were great too. Kingsland or Kohala Suites is highly recommended for those seeking to stay more than 3 days on the Big Island.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Kingsland or Kohala Suites is highly recommended for those seeking to stay more than 3 days on the Big Island.
Again, your opinion.

hjtug

TUG Member
Reaction score

Interesting. Many dictionaries seem to disagree and define a Hawaiian as a native or resident.

For example Merriam-Webster: a native or resident of Hawaii; especially : one of Polynesian ancestry

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Interesting. Many dictionaries seem to disagree and define a Hawaiian as a native or resident.

This thread is about local custom and tradition, and what is appropriate for a visitor to use.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score

Rjbeach2003

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The is where we stayed, Kingsland, and my parents stayed at Kohala Suities. The resort was quite stellar and all of the Hilton pools, including the Hilton Waikoloa Village, were great. Hilton Waikoloa's protected snorkeling and dolphin program were great too. Kingsland or Kohala Suites is highly recommended for those seeking to stay more than 3 days on the Big Island.
I love the Big Island, last trip 21 nights, but if I had to stay at Hilton Waikolo'a I'd go to Maui, Kauai or North Shore Oahu.
But then I'm not a fan of Vegas either.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wish I had added this when the thread started.

Just because someone is a local doesn't mean they snuck into the hotel pool. We have met a lot of families who live less then 30 minutes away who like to take mini vacations at Hilton Hawaiian Village. I have heard and read comments from people who assume they have snuck into the pool.

dreamin

TUG Member
Reaction score
One thing not mentioned yet are the bugs that come with the tropical climate. I saw a cane spider crawl into someone's truck cab while waiting in line to get gas at Costco on the Big Island. The body was the size of a tuna can. A local identified it as a cane spider. There are cockroaches, which I despise and don't encounter in our northern climate. Tips from locals.....when you pick up your rental car, turn on the air conditioner and if there are any in the vehicle they will disappear. Seal all food items in your kitchen (containers or plastic bags). Bag any food waste as you are preparing meals and put in the freezer until you can dispose of it. Haven't seen a scorpion or centipede but I have been advised to check inside my shoes. Can you tell that I hate bugs.....but love Hawaii!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill

Just because someone is a local doesn't mean they snuck into the hotel pool. We have met a lot of families who live less then 30 minutes away who like to take mini vacations at Hilton Hawaiian Village. I have heard and read comments from people who assume they have snuck into the pool.
I'd heard that at the Hilton Waikoloa Village, and it may be the same at Hilton Hawaiian Village, they offer some kind of deal a couple of times a year. You can pay a one day fee (I think it must be reduced from the normal daily fee) to use the facilities. I think some of the locals take advantage of this as well.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.

Exactly. Hilton rents to locals for cash rates, I've seen units occupied by local families and they tend to spend all day at the resort using the pools and BBQs. I don't mind sharing since they share their beautiful island with visitors.

On topic: I wish I had known I was going to be so intoxicated with being there that I would make a developer purchase instead of doing more research and buying resale.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk