• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What's One Thing You Wish You Had Known...[before you went to Hawaii]

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
One thing not mentioned yet are the bugs that come with the tropical climate. I saw a cane spider crawl into someone's truck cab while waiting in line to get gas at Costco on the Big Island. The body was the size of a tuna can. A local identified it as a cane spider. There are cockroaches, which I despise and don't encounter in our northern climate. Tips from locals.....when you pick up your rental car, turn on the air conditioner and if there are any in the vehicle they will disappear. Seal all food items in your kitchen (containers or plastic bags). Bag any food waste as you are preparing meals and put in the freezer until you can dispose of it. Haven't seen a scorpion or centipede but I have been advised to check inside my shoes. Can you tell that I hate bugs.....but love Hawaii!

Thank goodness I've never seen a spider that big. Lol, I don't like bugs too.
Earlier in this thread, I mentioned the mosquitoes in the dense forest areas. So it's best to spray yourself before visiting gardens if you tend to get bitten.

Just like Florida and the Bahamas, they have cockroaches that fly. We had a flying visitor once while we were staying in Waikoloa. We also had to deal with flying termites once while were staying in Waikiki. My youngest sister also got stung by a bee while walking on the main shopping drag Kalakaua Avenue in Waikiki (lol, who would of thought).

Knock on wood I haven't seen cockroaches in a car although I've read plenty of horror stories. :eek:

We've run into ants in the Bahamas and Florida. So we've learned to keep food sealed and clean up immediately after we're done eating. At any destination, you just don't know what you're walking into until it's too late. And just like any other destination, it's best to check out the room for bed bugs too.

Bugs found in Hawaii
http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/hawaii/10-bugs-found-in-hi/
https://www.aimforawesome.com/bugs-in-hawaii-bad-news/

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
This is really interesting, because we go to Hawaii almost every year, usually for 3-6 weeks, and we honestly almost never see a bug. I don't know if it makes a difference, but we have never been there in June or July. We usually go in December, January or February.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
This is really interesting, because we go to Hawaii almost every year, usually for 3-6 weeks, and we honestly almost never see a bug. I don't know if it makes a difference, but we have never been there in June or July. We usually go in December, January or February.

I'm the same as you as I have not been there in the summer. I also usually don't see bugs. One time a few years ago, we went to the Coco Palms tour and because it was so over grown the mosquitos we terrible but otherwise nothing.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Over the years there have been various TUG threads regarding bugs. Simply do a keyword search in the Hawaii forum on either bugs, cockroaches and/or mosquito.

The Hawaii Revealed guidebooks also have a small section on bugs.

I've had 10+ trips to Hawaii over the last 15+ years. There have been times that I haven't seen any bugs and there have been times that I have. I'm assuming most places have some sort of regularly scheduled pest treatment which helps reduce the number of encounters. Luckily I've encountered very few bugs except for ones I've called out earlier.

taffy19

Reaction score
We had English guests with us two years on a row and when we checked in at our timeshare resort in Kona we saw cockroaches in the kitchen but they disappeared immediately.

We were so embarrassed that we sold the condo or may have even traded it in for something else. This was years ago and Club Wyndham took it over so it may have changed now and there are no longer bugs there anymore, I hope.

The resort had lush, Japanese landscaping and they watered a lot plus it had a stream running through the premises close to the condos so it was a real damp area that may have caused the bugs.

I have never seen bugs anywhere else in HI so they must spray a lot because it is normal to have bugs in a semi tropical climate and mosquitos too.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I was at Aulani on Oahu in Jan 2015, we had a minor encounter with a flitting/flying large roach at an outside dining area. On the Big Island last August, I rented a minivan from Alamo that we soon discovered had germane cockroaches. I took it back and inspected the remaining three minivans they had and all three had cockroaches. They fortunately got me into to a pest-free Buick Enclave.

DianeG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cockroaches in rental cars on the Big Island is almost a given... the little brown buggers settle inside the panels. Most of the time, you don't notice them immediately when you initially pick up the car. Unless the car itself is a lemon, it's not worth the hassle to exchange one roach colony for another, IMO, especially when a quick visual "inspection" doesn't spot them.

A quick stop at the KTA, Long's, or most other store will get you those "small roach" poison traps that you place under the seats. The entire clan will die in a couple of days. Present your receipt when you return the car, and the cost of the roach poison will be reimbursed.

DianeG

TUG Member
Reaction score
BTW, those cane spiders are harmless.
Huge and scary, but harmless.

Scares the crap out of you though, when you find one sitting "around" a large avocado on your kitchen counter... LOL!

gnipgnop

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
One week is never enough. There are so many things to see and do ~ no matter which island you are on ~. First time we were there we only stayed for the one week and we never got to slow down and enjoy the resort, which was beautiful. We were so busy trying to take it all in that by the time we had to leave we were exhausted. Two week or more is the best. "Happy Hawaii Days."

cgeidl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
As my first visit was 1959 I wish I had known land was going to appreciate so fast and bought a couple vacant Waikiki blocks.

chunkygal

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BWV 215 pts

MVC Kauai, Wioahai

Enrolled in DC
If you have a military ID, and there is a base or commissary nearby (ko olina), it is a great place to do grocery shopping and get gas.

Ever on Ko Olina,especially if Catholic, but okay if not, go to mass at St Rita's. Mostly in Hawaiian. Very welcoming, native dress.

Never walk down into the valley of the kings on the BI, cause you have to walk out. Took us 3hours even in our 30's, now I would have to just live there. Thought we were saving money.

Your life will never be the same.

WishinIwasFishin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagonita Lodge, Pono Kai
Do try the local cuisine, specialty dishes, and locally sourced food. Even if you don't care for fish, TRY the Poke. If you don't care for sweets, TRY the Shave Ice anyway! Taste some of the amazing fruits and vegetables found on the island, including lychee, pineapple, coconut, starfruit, guava, etc. Enjoy a "plate lunch" at a local eatery....it's all part of the experience!

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Recently went to Hawaii for the first time. We visited Maui for a week and then Oahu for a few days. There are just too many individual personal preference type things to make a list of things everyone should know before their first visit. Except for the advice to bring a pen or pencil to fill out the form on the airplane.

Count me in the camp of people who like Oahu. I will gladly re-visit.
I was actually pretty disappointed in Maui. I did not fully understand exactly how crowded it was. I expected crowds in Oahu so it didn't bother me. Crowds in Maui bothered me a lot.
Neither place gave me some wonderful Hawaiian aloha spirit. I just didn't 'fall in love' with Hawaii. I would go back but it's not at the top of my list, honestly.

WishinIwasFishin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagonita Lodge, Pono Kai
You should consider trying a visit to Hawaii one more time, and go to the island of Kauai. Like you, I was a little disillusioned by my visit to Oahu several years ago, because even though I expected the island to be busy, it was MUCH busier than I had imagined. Not at all the case with Kauai. It is so quiet, and peaceful and has not been built up in the way that Oahu has. (I cannot speak on Maui bc I have never been there.) To me, Kauai was what I had always imagined Hawaii to be. My visit there fulfilled a life-long dream to go visit a quiet tropical island with little thatch roofs and local mom-and-pop shops. Laid back, casual, and no one is trying to impress anyone. It is a very loving and accepting environment, with such kind people. Yes, of course Kauai also has shopping centers, some big retailers, fast food establishments, and some more contemporary development, but for the most part, it is the traditional, lovely aloha place that you haven't found elsewhere.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
I disagree about avoiding Honolulu and Waikiki. Both are DYNAMIC places to visit, and will provide a great experience - for what they are. Don't expect them to offer some sleepy little grass shack on the beach , because they are very far from that. The history of Honolulu as an international seaport city is worth exploring. Waikiki is where modern surfing was born, and offers a tremendous opportunity to understand why it became so popular. Pearl Harbor offers a sobering and eye-opening exploration into World War II, and how the USA was dragged into the war. Spending time at the Bishop Museum will educate you directly into the history of how the Hawaiian Islands became populated, and where that culture comes from. Then go see Iolani Palace, and learn firsthand how the US government stole the Hawaiian Islands from their rightful owners. It's a sick and embarrassing period of history, and shows the length business owners will go to in order to achieve their greedy ends. (If your husband is a Canadian First Nation member, then he will directly identify with everything waiting to be learned.) All of it will give you a rich and deep understanding of what makes the Hawaiian culture, the islands, and most importantly, the Hawaiian people, their marvelous character and amazing history. It's worth it.

But after having done that, get away from all of it, and go see the REST of Oahu. The windward side of the island, and going up the coast to the North Shore, to the less populated areas of the island are fantastic getaways, just a few miles from the hustle and bustle of the city. You'll find amazing beaches, most of which are deserted, and plenty of freedom to relax and enjoy your time on the island. It's a very different experience than anything in Honolulu and Waikiki. Separate, but both valuable things to experience.

Understand that each Hawaiian island has a unique feeling and flavor all its own. You can't see everything in one trip, so you'll have to make decisions on how you'll spend your time. Too many people come to Hawaii and never get out of the beach chair. They get waited on hand and foot, and they never see the core of what makes Hawaii truly a special place to visit.

As you're leaving, plan to come back and see the other islands. They each will draw you in, and show you even more of why Hawaii is, to me, heaven on Earth.

Enjoy yourself. It's awesome. :)

Dave
Totally agree, well said!

taffy19

Reaction score
I disagree about avoiding Honolulu and Waikiki. Both are DYNAMIC places to visit, and will provide a great experience - for what they are. Don't expect them to offer some sleepy little grass shack on the beach , because they are very far from that. The history of Honolulu as an international seaport city is worth exploring. Waikiki is where modern surfing was born, and offers a tremendous opportunity to understand why it became so popular. Pearl Harbor offers a sobering and eye-opening exploration into World War II, and how the USA was dragged into the war. Spending time at the Bishop Museum will educate you directly into the history of how the Hawaiian Islands became populated, and where that culture comes from. Then go see Iolani Palace, and learn firsthand how the US government stole the Hawaiian Islands from their rightful owners. It's a sick and embarrassing period of history, and shows the length business owners will go to in order to achieve their greedy ends. (If your husband is a Canadian First Nation member, then he will directly identify with everything waiting to be learned.) All of it will give you a rich and deep understanding of what makes the Hawaiian culture, the islands, and most importantly, the Hawaiian people, their marvelous character and amazing history. It's worth it.

But after having done that, get away from all of it, and go see the REST of Oahu. The windward side of the island, and going up the coast to the North Shore, to the less populated areas of the island are fantastic getaways, just a few miles from the hustle and bustle of the city. You'll find amazing beaches, most of which are deserted, and plenty of freedom to relax and enjoy your time on the island. It's a very different experience than anything in Honolulu and Waikiki. Separate, but both valuable things to experience.

Understand that each Hawaiian island has a unique feeling and flavor all its own. You can't see everything in one trip, so you'll have to make decisions on how you'll spend your time. Too many people come to Hawaii and never get out of the beach chair. They get waited on hand and foot, and they never see the core of what makes Hawaii truly a special place to visit.

As you're leaving, plan to come back and see the other islands. They each will draw you in, and show you even more of why Hawaii is, to me, heaven on Earth.

Enjoy yourself. It's awesome. :)

Dave
That's how we feel about the islands too. Each island is different but we like them all but seeing a live volcano is very special and the great starwatching on Hawaii island too in the snow sometimes. Beaches and rain forests are on all the islands.

I only wished that we had known how much the county of Maui hates our guts and is treating us very unfairly in regards to the property taxes plus an extra occupancy or accommodation tax when you check out of your timeshare resort but that is the same at other timeshare resorts at other islands too. These taxes are higher than what tourists pay when staying in a hotel.

I looked today at some spur of the moment packages with flights, hotels and taxes included and they are cheaper than what we would pay buying separate airline tickets and staying at our own timeshare resorts but they are bigger condos. They were the same hotel brands too but I didn't book it so it may tell you later that you have to go to a timeshare presentation but I doubt it because you could stay even for one single night or as many nights as we wanted. I will let my husband see it when he comes back.

What irks me the most is how inconsiderate the county is towards the timeshare owners who pay these high taxes and then move a barge where the noisy jet skis depart from during the year right in front of the Hyatt and Marriott resorts where the public access to the beach is between these two resorts so we can listen to that noise. We have never heard it because we are there during whale season and they are closed but I have read the complaints here in this forum but not lately so it may be better now or people are used to it.

Why did they not put it left of their public beach next to the road where nobody could hear that noise? It wouldn't cost that much more. They moved the barge away from the public beach because it was too close to the swimming area and someone drowned.

They could also have moved the barge right in front of the Whaler Village shopping center because there is a second pick-up location there but the locals must have voted against it because of the noise. There are restaurants on the beach and it would annoy the shoppers too so they would stay less time there and spend less money and that would hurt the local business and bring less taxes in to the county but timeshare owners have no vote at all so why not sock it to them in every way they can?

I still love the islands but not so much owning timeshares anymore in Maui because of other reasons too.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
We use to always use the complementary room before flying back home in the evening. Only about 5 years ago I learned to just book an extra night. It's so much nicer than being homeless for a day. It really feels awesome to get that one last swim in the ocean, and take a nice hot shower right before the long red eye flight home.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Something we realized after going to Hawaii many times is that view really does matter, and no matter how many exchanges we have gotten on Maui, we always wanted the oceanfront experience. We had to buy it. So now we go back each year and enjoy oceanfront guaranteed.

daventrina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC (Diamond) Platinum HI/US HGV Max
When you get off the plane, you will not be met by girls with flowered leis. I remember it being a disappointment for my kids when they were young. ;)

You will be met with some lovely warm balmy weather which is almost as good.
You can arrange that though if you plan ahead...
I don't always do that ... but for something special, like our 35th I have.
Which leaves me wondering if I should do it again for our 40th next month ?????

cgeidl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
My first trip was in 1959. I wish that I had known how much land would appreciate in Hawaii at that time.I could be enjoying quite a bit more trips to Hawaii if I had. Over the years we have spent 100+ weeks in timeshares on the different islands.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

Yes. It's relatively inexpensive, and gets your arrival off on the right foot. And your spouse will love you more for it.

Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
If my dh ever arranged anything like that for me I would fall over in a dead faint. o_O

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Something we realized after going to Hawaii many times is that view really does matter, and no matter how many exchanges we have gotten on Maui, we always wanted the oceanfront experience. We had to buy it. So now we go back each year and enjoy oceanfront guaranteed.

Same here. I like to hear the waves crashing as it drowns out the noisy doves and people.

Bill

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We also are one of those who like something about every island. Here's just a partial list:

Oahu/Honolulu/Waikiki

This is our point of reference on Oahu, although we have also spent a week at Ko'Olina on the southwest corner of the island and loved it there as well! Some have disparaged Honolulu/Waikiki as "just another big city", but there's a ton to do there and some unforgettable sights to see.

• I would highly recommend a hike to the top of Diamond Head. Do it in the morning, before it gets too hot, because parts of the hike are fairly steep. But the views from the top are unforgettable.
  • Visit Pearl Harbor and take the solemn ferry ride to the U.S.S. Arizona. The National Park Service has done an outstanding job preserving this as a National Historical Monument, and if you're lucky, you can still meet veterans of Pearl Harbor who are there to help interpret what that terrible day of December 7, 1941 was like.
  • Often overlooked, I would also highly recommend the Punchbowl Cemetery, which is a short drive from Pearl Harbor. Many of those who died on December 7, 1941 or in the days following are buried there. There's also a huge set of murals that will help you understand the massive Pacific Theater of the War, and what happened where.
  • Iolani Palace is beautifully preserved and will give you a great introduction into Hawaiian history. It was the home of the last of the Hawaiian dynasty, prominently featuring King Kalakaua--the Merry Monarch.
  • The Bishop Museum is also an excellent place to absorb Hawaiian history. The exhibits are superbly organized and you will leave with a much greater appreciation of our 50th state.
  • Leonard's Bakery! Don't leave without sampling at least one of their famous malasadas, which is basically a Portuguese version of a donut on steroids. Delicious!
  • And don't leave without a visit to Hy's Steakhouse in Waikiki. It's a throwback to Peter Luger's in New York City or the 801 Chophouse in Kansas City or Gene and Georgetti's in Chicago. Amazing experience!
Maui

We have stayed at Kaanapali Beach and Wailea, and loved them both. Kaanapali is getting pretty crowded and traffic can be a pain, but the beach is beautiful, the snorkeling near Black Rock is fantastic, and there is a ton to do in Maui.

• The bike ride from Haleakala is amazing. Even though you have to get up at 4 am, I highly recommend the sunrise tour, which allows you to see the sun come up over the rim of the caldera of Haleakala Volcano--a singular experience.
  • As mentioned, be sure to bring your snorkel gear and spend some time at Kaanapali Beach. It's long, sun-splashed, and beautiful. The snorkeling at Black Rock near the Sheraton is fantastic.
  • If you like snorkeling, you can also charter one of the catamarans that go out to the sunken volcano of Molokini. Again, take the earliest morning tour. It's less crowded and the light is fantastic before the sun gets too high in the sky.
  • A visit to the former whaling village of Lahaina is not to be missed. Plenty of eclectic shops, including some great art galleries and restaurants.
  • The Old Lahaina Luau is one of the best in all of Hawaii. Authentic, and with pretty good food as well.
  • Wailea is the upscale part of Maui, with some of the most iconic luxury hotels in all of Hawaii--the Andaz, the Four Seasons, the Fairmont Kea Lani, the Grand Wailea Waldorf Astoria, and the Wailea Beach Marriott. The snorkeling off Wailea Beach is also fantastic.
Kauai

Our personal favorite. Less crowded than the other islands, lush and green, and everything moves at a slower pace, which we love when we're on vacation. There are three primary locations to visit: the north side at the beautiful planned resort area called Princeville; the east central side of the island near Kapaa and Lihue; and the southern side called Poipu.

• If you can afford it, I highly recommend a stay at the St. Regis Princeville. It's located on a cliff overlooking the beautiful Hanalei Bay. Be sure to plan a dinner at the incomparable Makana Terrace, an outdoor restaurant surrounded by infinity pools and spectacular views of Bali Hai (Mt. Makana) in the distance. The sunset views are unforgettable.
  • While in Princeville, take the slippery hike to Queen's Bath--an amazing volcanic outcropping hard by the ocean with incredible tidepools and stunning natural beauty. Be careful, though, about actually swimming in Queen's Bath. Many have died there, swept out to sea or smashed against the rocks--especially during the winter months. Regardless, during the right season, it's just spectacular.
  • Kilauea State Park is both home to a beautiful lighthouse as well as a wonderful bird sanctuary. It's quite a sight to see the huge wingspan of an albatross flying over. The lighthouse supplies binoculars free of charge for birdwatching while you're there.
  • In Lihue, be sure to visit Duke's--an iconic Hawaii restaurant and home of the Hula Pie, which is a mountain of macadamia nut ice cream on top of a chocolate cookie crust and topped with hot fudge, whipped cream, and more macadamia nuts. Bring three others to help you finish it!
  • In Poipu, you'll love the beach. Poipu is the sunny side of the island, and lies near the Grand Canyon of Hawaii--Waimea Canyon.
  • Be sure to have dinner at the Beach House in Poipu. You will need reservations in advance, and you'll love the torch lighting on the beach at sunset. You may even be the unwitting attendee of a wedding, since many are held on the grassy parcel right in front of the restaurant.
  • The Wailua River is the only navigable river in Hawaii, and you can paddle on it and see some beautiful sights that most tourists never see.
Big Island

Candidly, this is the island I know the least about, having only been there twice. Hilo is the wet side, and Kona is the dry side--and the surroundings could not be more different. Hilo is lush and green like Kauai. Kona is dry, hot, and surrounded by massive lava fields. Regardless, you're still in Paradise and there are many things to do.

• The Mauna Kea Summit is the home to one of the largest telescopes in the world. It's also one of the most beautiful places in the world, and is often overlooked by visitors because it's not easy to get to. But wow. Wow, wow, wow. The views and the ambience of the place are spectacular.
  • The Kona Coffee Company Plantation Tour is wonderful, and you can get unlimited free samples of all their amazing coffees.
  • The Manta Ray night snorkel is eerie at first, but the rays are gentle and almost ethereal as they swim silently all around you.
  • A helicopter tour of the Kilauea Volcano is a must. There are not many places in the world where you can see an active volcano spewing lava continuously, but this is one of them. Fascinating and beautiful.

ronandjoan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Telemark, Townhouses at St Augustine Beach and Tennis Club, Stoneridge Resort (ID)
Hawaii is not a lot more than California, but people from the mid-west often suffer sticker shock in Hawaii.
We were in Kona this spring and gas at Costco was CHEAPER than in So Calif! Don't know how it can be but it was!