• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What's your favorite summer exchange location (and why)?

lmkucala

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have a request in with II for several locations this summer (Hilton Head, Oregon, Northern California coastal locations, Banff Natl Park area, Vancouver Island, and a couple more) for about a 6 week span. Unfortunately many others have the same desire and nothing has popped up for us at least not yet, so I'm starting to explore alternatives that might be easier to exchange into on shorter notice.

Would love to hear what areas (and which II resorts) people have enjoyed in the summer months. I tried to talk my DH into Hawaii, but he doesn't want to go there in the summer (plus we've been there a few times). We like beaches/ocean, hiking, scenery, exploring, etc. For example been to Maine twice and loved it. Like to go places we have never been before. Not crazy about really humid weather so Florida in the summer is not appealing.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Are you looking for a 2 br? My experience with II is if you are looking for the last week in June through the 2nd week in August, then it isn't about where you want to go it is about making the best of the types of places that are available through II. If your looking for summer 2017 then your choices are going to be even more limited. Your unlikely to get a beach anywhere with the exceptions of Florida (which you don't want) and that one resort near Acadia national park in Maine which you said you have done twice already. Since you like hiking and exploring your best bet would be the mountains. Colorodo and Utah usually have summer availability although I would imagine you probably missed the bulk of the sheraton and Marriott deposits at their ski resorts- which are very nice in the summer. There are mountains in North Carolina and Tennesse in the Great Smokies. Some resorts have been shut down to the fire damage but others were untouched. Williamsburg always has a lot of availability but it is also crazy hot and humid so you might want to avoid that.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
done all of above and they would all be on my list. Banff was our favorite. If you have selected all of HHI, not just the Marriotts, you have a decent chance. But, I'm surprised that you have not had a hit yet, assuming you had a search going since last fall. If not, then you need to start a search at least by Sept 1. A rep once told me that is when most people start thinking of vacationing in TS the next year. I got my Banff and S. Calif. exchanges over 15 months out. 2BRs are in high demand for families, so even more competition.
There is also, unfortunately, a lot more inventory for HHI in RCI than II. Do you have any preference b/c you own a Marriott, Hyatt, etc.? that can help (you get dibs for 3-30 days before others).
Most of the East Coast is humid in the summer. Early June not so much, but it can be rainy. You could try for the VT mountains (Smugglers Notch, Stowe) or NH mtns. given your location, I also suggest the CO mtns and I think Lake Tahoe area, combined with SF (hotel stay) could make a good week-10 day trip. That is on our list. Wllmbg is super humid--I'd rather in in FL than Wllmbg in the summer. If you are interested in HHI for summer 2018, private message me and maybe we can do a direct trade.
good luck. Elaine

Last edited:

lmkucala

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks - we are looking for a 1BR (but 2BR would be fine too). It is just three of us with my husband, myself, and our 13 year-old son.

We have a couple resorts in our search besides Marriott in HH, so am hopeful for something there, but I was late in the game re: getting my request in (last week of December). We usually travel in the winter but can't in the next year so decided kind of late to do summer instead. That said, I have about 35 resorts in my request for all of these locations so I'm still hopeful. And no unfortunately we do not have Marriott or Hyatt preference.

I have been considering either Lake Tahoe or Park City - we've never been to Tahoe and Park City only in the winter for skiing and it looks like there is a lot we would like in either location in the summer as well. I've been keeping an eye on both as there is availability now and may snag one of those if something doesn't come up - was just interested in feedback/other ideas also. Not sure how long I wait on my current ongoing request before I decide to bite the bullet and book somewhere else before it's too late!

Williamsburg I agree - would love to go there sometime but not in the summer! I can handle East coast on the beach but not inland. We get enough humidity in Minnesota in the summer :).

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Did you request Whistler area up in BC Canada?
They would have hiking, lots of bike trails, some golf.
And would be warm without the humidity.

lmkucala

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you request Whistler area up in BC Canada?
They would have hiking, lots of bike trails, some golf.
And would be warm without the humidity.

No we did not look at Whistler. I was thinking it was more primarily a ski resort. I'll take a look at it - thanks!

Chrispee

TUG Member
Reaction score
+1 on Whistler. As Sandra has said there are lots of outdoor adventure opportunities. There is also nearby lake swimming, and the beaches around Vancouver are only a couple of hours drive away (down a very scenic highway). The Embarc Whistler resort is the best Whistler timeshare in II in my opinion.

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Our favorite summer vacation is New York City in mid-Manhattan. We normally don't travel in the summer other than NYC because it is great right here where we live. Tons of great things to do within an hours drive and great weather. If I didn't live here and had to choose a summer location, it would be California for sure. Bear in mind that California resorts, especially coastal, are hard to get into in the summer without some definite advanced planning.

We do most of our trips in April to Mexico, Hawaii, etc.

Weather is a very important factor to us. We do adjust our time according to weather. For example we did the Utah National Parks ( Capital Reef, Bryce, and Zion ) in late May/early June when the weather was good and not very crowded.

Last edited:

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
We have a request in with II for several locations this summer (Hilton Head, Oregon, Northern California coastal locations, Banff Natl Park area, Vancouver Island, and a couple more) for about a 6 week span. Unfortunately many others have the same desire and nothing has popped up for us at least not yet, so I'm starting to explore alternatives that might be easier to exchange into on shorter notice.

Would love to hear what areas (and which II resorts) people have enjoyed in the summer months. I tried to talk my DH into Hawaii, but he doesn't want to go there in the summer (plus we've been there a few times). We like beaches/ocean, hiking, scenery, exploring, etc. For example been to Maine twice and loved it. Like to go places we have never been before. Not crazy about really humid weather so Florida in the summer is not appealing.

I think I was fine up until I realized you were looking for summer destinations. In the summer. Most of our exchange destinations are Spring and Fall exchanges. Some of those would work for summer, some, maybe not so much.

A couple of areas we've really enjoyed have been Palm Desert/Palm Springs but, summer would probably be more like vacationing on the surface of the sun. We like it for the beauty of the surrounding area and dining options.

We really love Sedona, AZ, which would likely be a good option for summer weeks. Great hiking, beautiful scenery, great shopping and dining and very relaxing.

We exchanged once into Newport Coast, CA and found it to be a great, relaxing vacation. It's not far from LA, amusement parks and beaches. Lot to see and do in the area or, just vegetate by the pools and enjoy the beauty of the resort.

Most of the time summer months will find us in Breckenridge, CO. We find the area relaxing and very scenic with lots of photo options all around. There's tons of history to be found in the Colorado mountains and several tours. Most of the resorts in the area don't have much for pools but have great hot tub areas and spa's.

If you enjoy the ocean and beaches maybe Palm Beach, FL or Fort Lauderdale, FL would be an option. We own at Marriott's Ocean Pointe and have exchanged into Marriott's Oceana Palms up the road for Ocean Pointe and also Marriott's Beach Place Towers in Fort Lauderdale. Beachplace Towers has a great expanse of beach in front of the resort yet is in a more cosmopolitan area. Both Oceana Palms and Ocean Pointe are in a quieter area with Ocean Pointe being more of a destination resort and Oceana Palms being more of a boutique resort. All are great for different reasons.

PassionForTravel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
You mentioned Park City and Tahoe, Park City will definitely be easier to get than Tahoe. We liked both Whistler and Park City in the summer. I notice that both the Marriott Summit Watch is available in June and Marriott Mountainside in Park City is available in June or July searching with Worldmark.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
We love going to SoCal in Summer. I also second the people who have suggested Tahoe and Colorado. Weather is nice and if you enjoy outdoor beauty those are great places to go. You might also want to consider Toronto. We went there one Summer and it was just so much fun.

exyeh

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you can search II worldmark at Estes Park and Rams Horn in RCI, Rocky mountain National Park is our most favorite place in the summer. The hiking is marvelous, lots of things to do there. We have been there many times.

mmthomas

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have tried for two years for Estes Park with RCI in mid August and nothing available. Colorado counties have public pools that can resemble water parks, so don't fret over no resort pool.

deslagle

TUG Member
Reaction score
agree with Park City. we own there every other year. lots of restaurants, hiking is superb as one can use the Deer Valley and Canyons lifts to go up and walk downhill with views.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
No we did not look at Whistler. I was thinking it was more primarily a ski resort. I'll take a look at it - thanks!
We stayed in Whistler once during the summer. We found plenty to do.

JulieAB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lifetime in Hawaii, Disney's Grand Californian
Sedona, AZ is too hot in the summer, usually running only 10-15 degrees cooler than Phoenix.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
For a summer week, if you've never been to Cape Cod before, perhaps consider it. That being said, the only timeshare facility on Cape Cod that would particularly interest us for a full week's stay would be Brewster Green, in Brewster, MA. Not oceanfront by any stretch, but otherwise conveniently located for access to the more interesting (i.e., lower) part of the Cape, the (6) National Seashore beaches, CCNS trails, nearby Chatham, Provincetown is about 30 miles away, very near to Cape Cod Rail Trail for bicycling, Nickerson State Park is nice for fresh water swimming or fishing. Expect to have lots and lots of company in summer on the Cape, however.

Otoh, the odds of being able to exchange into Brewster Green for a summer week would be very long --- at best.

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
Given your parameters and the late start, I think your best bet is a mountain location. Most ski areas are great for hiking in the summer. I'd look at what's available now and grab your best choice. I did a search and here are some comments on the areas that had 1 BR or higher:
Tahoe has great hiking. What's available now in Tahoe are the lesser resorts, but you'll be out hiking anyway. Tahoe Seasons has easier access to the hiking trails in the Desolation Wilderness (really spectacular hiking). The other resorts are up on the hill (all the Ridge ones) and you'll have to drive down the hill and then out to the various trailheads. However, it will be cooler up there. The David Valley resort is down in the valley and not really Tahoe so don't book that one.
Colorado mountains have good hiking wherever you go. It's high altitude so make sure you understand the ramifications of hiking at 10000'+. I saw better availability at Winter Park and have looked at that area for hikes in the past, but never been but I think it is a good option.
Park City: I've just driven through the area here so don't have any recommendations. It seemed too open and hot for my tastes, but it's on my list to give it a try if a bargain comes up in the fall.
Whistler; has lots of good hiking but when I searched, no 1 BR came up.

Sue

Carole550

Reaction score

Carole550

Reaction score
When we lived in the east we loved the Berkshires....lots to do and see for a week in the summer.
I agree with Sue that Colorado is a good choice. We live in Steamboat Springs really busy for skiing.There are lots of condos that are with II.
You definitely will need a car but driving to Colorado from Minnesota is a possibility.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
For a summer week, if you've never been to Cape Cod before, perhaps consider it. That being said, the only timeshare facility on Cape Cod that would particularly interest us for a full week's stay would be Brewster Green, in Brewster, MA. Not oceanfront by any stretch, but otherwise conveniently located for access to the more interesting (i.e., lower) part of the Cape, the (6) National Seashore beaches, CCNS trails, nearby Chatham, Provincetown is about 30 miles away, very near to Cape Cod Rail Trail for bicycling, Nickerson State Park is nice for fresh water swimming or fishing. Expect to have lots and lots of company in summer on the Cape, however.

Otoh, the odds of being able to exchange into Brewster Green for a summer week would be very long --- at best.

Brewster Green comes up during the summer in RCI every year. If it were an ocean front resort it would be almost impossible. I even had a July, 3 bedroom unit on hold for 2016 but decided to release. For Brewster Green you need to either start an ongoing search 18 months in advance or search regularly starting at 18 months in advance. The reason I passed on it was the 50 tpu price tag was a little to high. Two bedrooms come up too in the 28-36 tpu range for summer as well depending on the dates.

RCI isn't cheap but really has decent summer beach areas available if you can plan ahead. It's at least 50 to 1 comparing RCI to II and perhaps 100-200-1 for the other independent companies. Our summer holiday starts around the 20th of June and if we are willing to take that first week (which is a little less crowded) then even more units open up through RCI. It's kind of fun to have the car packed and pick the youngest up from school and head off to the beach on the last day of school.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Several summers ago, I forced my sister and her 3 sons to join me at the Ft Lauderdale Beach Resort (trades in II and RCI).

I got SWA FF tickets for her 3 sons & I ... she told me no way would she go and asked what I was going to due with the SWA tickets. Told her I would give them to her sons at Xmas and let her explain WHY they DID NOT go to FLL 6+ MONTHS earlier. She went ... mumbling about the HEAT being way too high.

The resort is beach block on the east coast of FL. Winds came in off the ocean. The weather was sunny and warm ... July 4th week and was never really hot and humid ... we were too close to the ocean. She said it was a great week ... heat not an issue ... not to crowded ... did the Everglades tour, drove down to the Keys, swamp boat tour, Bonnet House tour, ate out almost all dinners, some ocean time, mostly pool time. And she did say it was the best beach week ever with the boys (they go every summer to the grandparent's beachfront condo in Ocean City, MD .. without the grandparents.)

Remember, summer is a LOW season for tourists in the summer ... as this is NOT ORLANDO. Every 5PM dinner was at a discount/coupon offer price.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
We went to Breckenridge last June and really enjoyed it. We traded in to the Grand Lodge on Peak 7 and it was pretty nice.

We just booked Welk Northstar in Tahoe for Aug 2018. I actually thought I was booking 2017, whoops. But the last week in August works really well for us, so I kept the week and now we're set for 2018. Just to point out that summer Tahoe is doable.

We'd for sure consider Park City, and I've seen summer weeks at the Marriotts and Westgate there.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Brewster Green comes up during the summer in RCI every year.

Not an "exchanger", but I have always been of the belief that Brewster Green was affiliated with Interval International.
Am I somehow mistaken in that belief, or is Brewster Green actually dual affiliated (i.e., with both RCI and II)? :shrug:

Last edited: