• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Where did you find your timeshares?

Where did you acquire your timeshares?

• eBay

Votes: 47 63.5%
  • Tug

Votes: 23 31.1%
  • Developer

Votes: 21 28.4%
  • Sumday

Votes: 16 21.6%
  • Timeshare Nation

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Redweek

Votes: 13 17.6%
  • Resale directly from resort HOA

Votes: 8 10.8%
  • Resale from owner marketed thru HOA

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Real estate agent

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Other

Votes: 20 27.0%

• Total voters

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
After posting to see what tuggers got on eBay, I started wondering where us tuggers found our timeshares the most.

So my curiousity is creating this poll for sources. Wish I could create a count of how many for each source but if you post it, I'll add them up and post.

I myself, 2 from tug, 3 from eBay, 8 directly from resort HOA so I had three different sources.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Got two on eBay, one on Redweek that I sold a few years later, and one in the Bargain Deals here on TUG.

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
RedWeek (2), TUG (1), Developer (1)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Both of ours were from the developer. I don't regret either purchase.

First one purchased in 1973 or 1974 (don't remember exactly when). Back then I didn't even know what timeshare was, and I doubt resale was around. We bought at San Diego Country Estates. They came in 2 week blocks and you could use them by the night, like a hotel. It sits on a beautiful golf course and we bought to use it as we lived about an hour away.

Second was purchased in 1986 when we were staying on site at Maui Hill, we'd gotten it through a trade from SDCE. We went into the sale office our last day there and almost had to beg them to sell to us. We bought a unit that had gone back to sales (so kind of a resale) and they kept giving us incentives.

Dave Landry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Panama City Beach
Used to rent from a couple owners and rent on ebay. We are currently waiting to close on a Wyndham contract we found in the Tug marketplace! Have looked on ebay but it seems like the lower maintenance fee contracts are selling outrageously high lately.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I have had a few Pono Kai owners contact me through my website and I got those for free too.

Last edited:

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Our counts:
  • eBay: 2 purchases ; 2 sales
  • TUG: 1 "group buy"
  • Developer: 5. Yep.
  • Other: 2
    • 1 from RedSeason
    • 1 taken over from family

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Our counts:
  • eBay: 2 purchases ; 2 sales
  • TUG: 1 "group buy"
  • Developer: 5. Yep.
  • Other: 2
    • 1 from RedSeason
    • 1 taken over from family
Does "group buy" mean you got multiples from one tugger? If so, I had 1 tug "group buy" too.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Does "group buy" mean you got multiples from one tugger? If so, I had 1 tug "group buy" too.
A TUG Group Buy is when a bunch of Tuggers get together to purchase a large lot of one thing ... thus bringing the price down for all of us. In my case, it was the Seapointer, South Africa, with RCI account and/or multi-year RCI renewal, sometime around 2001.

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
I bought my South Africa week from Herb on the advice of TUGGERS. My husband thought I was crazy. Total cost was around $500 including 10 years of RCI membership. What a deal. Our first timeshare we bought was in 1994 after a trip to Disney. We picked up a flyer somewhere that advertised to buy resale. I called when we returned home and paid $5200 for a 2BR Vistana resale week 27. I then bought a Hawaii week from another TUGGER, and a South California resale from the resort itself. I acquired 2 Las Vegas weeks and one New Orleans week off EBay, all for less than $200 each. And I was gifted a Myrtle Beach advertised inthe Bargain Deals. I also was gifted 2 Foxrun weeks, which I re-gifted. I now only own the So. Cal, one Las Vegas, the Myrtle Beach and the New Orleans.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Got my first timeshare through Holiday Resales in Seattle, back in '02. Later, jumped on board the SA train and also dealt with a broker for a great deal--at the time I got 3 SA timeshares and free RCI membership which is still extended to 2024. What a great deal is right.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Bought our Smuggs timeshare directly from Smuggs in 1999. Fixed Week 30 with a variable, pre-assigend off season floater each year. Fixed unit. Never regretted it. Best thing we ever did.

Our Innseason Pollard Brook- saw an ad on the TUG marketplace in 2014 for free from Timeshare Nation when the company was first starting out. Was a bit skeptical at first, but it worked out perfectly for us! Fixed week 31. Fixed unit. Goes back to back with our fixed week 30 at Smuggs. 2 hour drive between the two. Same check in and check out days.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Ebay - 1
Redeweek - 1
Tug Bargain Deals Forum - 1
Ownertrades.com - 1

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
After divesting my Marriott Weeks many years ago I decided I would focus on HOA Controlled Independents and would try to visit Resorts before I bought. When I found one I liked I would ask the Resort Manager if they had Owners who wanted out badly. Very often they did and facilitated my purchase (sometimes for free, always cheap) of the Week.

George

Bernie8245

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought my first week from the developer. Than I bought 2 South Africa weeks from Herb which I later sold. I got some great exchanges with the SA weeks (Manhattan Club and Houses at Summer Bay.) I also bought 2 weeks on EBay.

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
I bought 2 off Tug, 3 off EBay, and 1 from a broker.

My best deal was from the broker, Got a NHK WorldMark for credit price only, He did not realize it was a NHK and only advertised it as a premiere account..

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
After divesting my Marriott Weeks many years ago I decided I would focus on HOA Controlled Independents and would try to visit Resorts before I bought. When I found one I liked I would ask the Resort Manager if they had Owners who wanted out badly. Very often they did and facilitated my purchase (sometimes for free, always cheap) of the Week.

George

I was not aware these existed. Is there a list of HOA controlled independents? What are the pros and cons relative to the chains?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
2 from Ebay
3 from Developer
1 directly from a reseller that specializes in the timeshare resort sytem that I bought into.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was not aware these existed. Is there a list of HOA controlled independents? What are the pros and cons relative to the chains?

When I found a Resort I liked I first made sure it wasn't one of the chains. I then just asked a lot of questions. One of my questions regarded who controlled things? How was the HOA elected? Were all the members of the HOA owners? The way I see it the big benefit of HOA control Resorts are lower cost of buying, lower Maintenance Fees and flexibility of use. In addition I found it was easier to get them to either find a buyer for my Week or to do Deed Backs when I was done using my Week.

Note that I was acquiring Weeks to use myself and although I traded from time to time I didn't do it often.

George

Last edited:

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
I bought two resale from the resort (Cold Spring, where you also own), won one at the Monday night wine/cheese social there (my husband won't let me enter the drawing any longer!), and bought one from Sumday for $25. All weeks are at Cold Spring, and all but one are used most years. Love it there!

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
bought 1 from family 20 years ago Westgate which I sold in 2002, then got in on South africa (3) from a broker on tug, I was very skeptical but it worked out tremendously, sold all my SA before the world cup. Rented for years, then this year just purchased two EOY at Lagunamar 1 from redweek and one from WorldWideTimeshareHyperMarket also two SVV one from redweek and one privately found online

shellmo1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Took over my parents two weeks at Kingsbury Crossing in Lake Tahoe when they could no longer travel. Had them since 2011 and have enjoyed many nice trades.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I have sold quite a few through My Resort Network. I bought one of mine from MRN.

aandmrun

TUG Member
Reaction score
1st one from the developer (have never regretted it) then 3 more from ebay in 2009.2010.