• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Addds

Reaction score
Again - schools are much stricter now with attendance than they used to be, because of funding constraints. I once had a student in my class who was dropped from school, because of a vacation to Disneyland. The family lied about it and said it was a family emergency, but of course the student blabbed about it.

So all I am saying is that as a parent, you need to know what the actual rules are in your school district, to protect your child's rights. It really has nothing to do with what the teacher is covering - it has everything to do with the rules for absences.

Unfortunately Denise, you are spot on. I hope I didn't sound too cavalier earlier. I know my attitude may pose a problem, especially in the future as my kids enter high school. But for now, we have averaged one week or so of unexcused vacation absences and haven't had any issues (other than required homework on the vacation...for my kindergartenero_O). My goal is to retain a modicum of control over my life given the insane amount of regulatory creep trying to wrest that control from me.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
To the OP, please take your time on this subject matter for another year. Please do not jump into the frying pan.

Addds

Reaction score
Thanks again for the advice and support. I received the "just calling to check up and see if you're still interested" call. Got the super hard sell. There was never going to be a better time to buy than today and prices are only going to go up.:rolleyes:

RLS50

TUG Member
Reaction score
1) I do understand that fees will rise. I feel that rising MF and the low resale value are the cost of investing into vacationing the way you want to. My wife feels if we don't do some sort of TS, that I won't commit to quality vacations with our family on a regular basis. And she's right.
Your wife is right. I would always have an excuse why vacationing with 4 kids was too expensive, and I would rather be spending $10K or $12K on another upgrade to our house versus spending it on a Beaches vacation in the Caribbean. And I would get bored renting houses at the East Coast beaches that lacked the amenities or atmosphere I wanted, or required us to always travel with 3-4 other families because the weekly rental was $4K-$8K during prime season.

My wife is the one that finally pushed us into timeshares. So I am relatively new...and late...to timesharing. Now I wish I had bought our first timeshare years ago. Some of these long timers here on TUG bought timeshares in HHI or Myrtle Beach back when they were being built or fairly new, so they raised their families going there once or twice a year and have many years of great vacation memories. We have some of those memories, but not enough. If we had owned a timeshare earlier (the right timeshare for us) it would have forced us to take many vacations I postponed due to work, home projects, whatever.

You are already ahead of the game buying resale. Just buy something at a fair price (on the resale market) that will always retain some value (if even if that value is $1). In my opinion (hypothetically) you would be better off spending $10K-$20K on a prime summer week (or prime winter week if you are a skiing family) that you know you can use every year versus spending $500 on an off season week thinking you can depend on trades to get where you want to go. I don't own in any points systems, which sound like they may have some value to you, so others here are your go to resources for those points questions.

There is a rule I have learned to be true and firmly believe in. I just wish I learned it years ago. Own at least 1 week per year (deeded or points) within driving distance of your home during prime vacation season (prime winter or prime summer) when you can take your entire family there. The term "driving distance" varies by individual as for some that means 3 hours, others are okay with 12 hours. But being able to take your family to a place you can drive to, when they are off school, and you don't need to worry about the expense of plane tickets and schedules for 4-6 people, makes it more likely you will take at least 1 quality vacation a year with your entire family to your "home" resort.

Everybody loves the concept of Mexico, Caribbean, Hawaii, Europe, Asia, etc...and for sure those trips will happen. But a simple vacation that doesn't require complex planning at a nearby family favorite resort is proving to be invaluable to us. It has worked out so well for us, we have family members that are now purchasing their first timeshares during the same week and same resort we own at.

Best wishes on your decision.

Addds

Reaction score
Your wife is right. I would always have an excuse why vacationing with 4 kids was too expensive, and I would rather be spending $10K or $12K on another upgrade to our house versus spending it on a Beaches vacation in the Caribbean. And I would get bored renting houses at the East Coast beaches that lacked the amenities or atmosphere I wanted, or required us to always travel with 3-4 other families because the weekly rental was $4K-$8K during prime season.

My wife is the one that finally pushed us into timeshares. So I am relatively new...and late...to timesharing. Now I wish I had bought our first timeshare years ago. Some of these long timers here on TUG bought timeshares in HHI or Myrtle Beach back when they were being built or fairly new, so they raised their families going there once or twice a year and have many years of great vacation memories. We have some of those memories, but not enough. If we had owned a timeshare earlier (the right timeshare for us) it would have forced us to take many vacations I postponed due to work, home projects, whatever.

You are already ahead of the game buying resale. Just buy something at a fair price (on the resale market) that will always retain some value (if even if that value is $1). In my opinion (hypothetically) you would be better off spending $10K-$20K on a prime summer week (or prime winter week if you are a skiing family) that you know you can use every year versus spending $500 on an off season week thinking you can depend on trades to get where you want to go. I don't own in any points systems, which sound like they may have some value to you, so others here are your go to resources for those points questions.

There is a rule I have learned to be true and firmly believe in. I just wish I learned it years ago. Own at least 1 week per year (deeded or points) within driving distance of your home during prime vacation season (prime winter or prime summer) when you can take your entire family there. The term "driving distance" varies by individual as for some that means 3 hours, others are okay with 12 hours. But being able to take your family to a place you can drive to, when they are off school, and you don't need to worry about the expense of plane tickets and schedules for 4-6 people, makes it more likely you will take at least 1 quality vacation a year with your entire family to your "home" resort.

Everybody loves the concept of Mexico, Caribbean, Hawaii, Europe, Asia, etc...and for sure those trips will happen. But a simple vacation that doesn't require complex planning at a nearby family favorite resort is proving to be invaluable to us. It has worked out so well for us, we have family members that are now purchasing their first timeshares during the same week and same resort we own at.

Best wishes on your decision.

We have definitely concluded this is sound advice. Just since I posted originally, the idea of a home resort within driving distance has become clearly desirable in my mind.

When/if we take the plunge, it will be with the intention of a guarantee of close proximity vacationing while the kids are young, which will be for the next 15 years.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have definitely concluded this is sound advice. Just since I posted originally, the idea of a home resort within driving distance has become clearly desirable in my mind.

When/if we take the plunge, it will be with the intention of a guarantee of close proximity vacationing while the kids are young, which will be for the next 15 years.

Guarantee of close proximity with option of other destinations would be perfect.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I agree with RLS50. We have owned our Smuggs week since 1999 - a fixed prime summer week with an "attached" off season floater which we used for our exchanges (for mostly summer or April school break), when our son was in school. Went all around the country with those, including Hawaii. We never exchanged the summer week- except once. We can get there for under 6 hours- a really nice ride up. We visit sights along the way. Our son is now 29 and even now he visits with us when we are there. We all feel sentimental about the place and have lots of memories. Feels like a second home. Never run out of things to do and see.

In 2015 we acquired a free week at another resort in New Hampshire that falls exactly right after our Smuggs week and is just a 2 hour drive from there! So now we have two weeks back to back every summer. The great thing is our son lives in New Hampshire so we get to see him more (since we live in NY)

Now that he is an adult, we actually use our off season floaters at Smuggs as well, since they are usually lovely times of the year- Fall and Spring. We might exchange a floater if it falls late in the Fall or too early in the Spring and go somewhere else.

If we want to go on an additional vacation that could involve airfare, we mostly rent timeshares from other owners and that has worked out great. For example- went to Yellowstone and Scotland, to name a couple.

We paid full freight- no loan- never take out a loan!- for our timeshare. Our building was being built when we did and ours' was the model 2 bedroom. We have never regretted it as we always used it- made us go on vacations- and it has paid for itself- even taking maintenance fees into consideration- because we have owned it for so long. Honestly it really had a big impact on our lives (we never went on yearly vacations when we were kids (never mind 3- 4 weeks of them). Wouldn't have traded it for the anything (pardon the pun).

Last edited:

Addds

Reaction score
I agree with RLS50. We have owned our Smuggs week since 1999 - a fixed prime summer week with an "attached" off season floater which we used for our exchanges (for mostly summer or April school break), when our son was in school. Went all around the country with those, including Hawaii. We never exchanged the summer week- except once. We can get there for under 6 hours- a really nice ride up. We visit sights along the way. Our son is now 29 and even now he visits with us when we are there. We all feel sentimental about the place and have lots of memories. Feels like a second home. Never run out of things to do and see.

In 2015 we acquired a free week at another resort in New Hampshire that falls exactly right after our Smuggs week and is just a 2 hour drive from there! So now we have two weeks back to back every summer. The great thing is our son lives in New Hampshire so we get to see him more (since we live in NY)

Now that he is an adult, we actually use our off season floaters at Smuggs as well, since they are usually lovely times of the year- Fall and Spring. We might exchange a floater if it falls late in the Fall or too early in the Spring and go somewhere else.

If we want to go on an additional vacation that could involve airfare, we mostly rent timeshares form other owners and that has worked out great. For example- went to Yellowstone and Scotland, to name a couple.

We paid full freight- no loan- never take out a loan!- for our timeshare. Our building was being built when we did and ours' was the model 2 bedroom. We have never regretted it as we always used it- made us go on vacations- and it has paid for itself- even taking maintenance fees into consideration- because we have owned it for so long. Honestly it really had a big impact on our lives (we never went on yearly vacations when we were kids (never mind 3- 4 weeks of them). Wouldn't have traded it for the anything (pardon the pun).

Thanks again for your experience. It is very encouraging to hear great stories on this website about how this helps families make important memories.

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Worldmark - very flexible, 3-4 star properties (in general), good value for the money, many ski resort locations although generally not ski-in/out : Park City, Steamboat Springs, Taos, Lake Tahoe, Whistler. Points based system which you can book any number of days and you can secure holiday weeks (Christmas, New Years, Presidents) with effort and knowledge. They have 3 and 4 bedroom sizes (or equivalent) in several ski resort locations

Marriott (legacy weeks) - generally 4-5 star properties (except in Vail and Breckenridge), several ski resort locations and very good ski-in/out : Park City and Heavenly. They also have locations at Vail and Breckenridge but are not ski-in/out and the quality is more 3-4 star. Will not be able to book major holiday weeks and can only book a full week (not days).

Hyatt - generally 4-5 star properties, very good ski-in/out or walk to lift locations : Breckenridge, Beaver Creek, Aspen, Lake Tahoe, and Northstar. You can get some very good ski resort bookings if you plan ahead and know their system. Can book a full week or 2/3/4 day stays. Hyatt is a weeks system with a points overlay and the Hyatt system is somewhat esoteric but if you learn it well, you will generally be satisfied.

I own in all three systems and I have a good ski season experience every year. I generally only book 2 bedroom or larger, walk to lift or ski-in/out resorts, and expect a 4 star resort experience. I have learnt each system well so that I can acquire what I need.

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Most likely, you've sat through the Grand Colorado and Grand Lodge at Peak 7 timeshare presentations. Their resorts are very nice and the sales people there come across as professional. You could do worse than buy from them, even though buying from the developer is anathema to most on TUG. If I loved Breck and wanted a fixed week 51 or 52, I would give them a serious consideration. I like Breck but I don't love it.

If you want a ski timeshare for Christmas or New Years week, you should buy a fixed week at the mountain that you like the most and it will likely cost over 50K resale for a nice 2 bedroom. For us, the decision was easy because we love Snowbird.

Addds

Reaction score
Most likely, you've sat through the Grand C
olorado and Grand Lodge at Peak 7 timeshare presentations. Their resorts are very nice and the sales people there come across as professional. You could do worse than buy from them, even though buying from the developer is anathema to most on TUG. If I loved Breck and wanted a fixed week 51 or 52, I would give them a serious consideration. I like Breck but I don't love it

If you want a ski timeshare for Christmas or New Years week, you should buy a fixed week at the mountain that you like the most and it will likely cost over 50K resale for a nice 2 bedroom. For us, the decision was easy because we love Snowbird.

I know it sounds horrible to buy from the developer. Their benefits are pretty darn good when you buy from them (which I also hate that they exclude when you purchase resale). But they offer full day use of the pools, parking, lockers, movie theaters, play structures. In Breck all of those come at a premium especially 50 feet from the lift. They also let you convert your week to their internal point system which allows shorter visits throughout the year. I know they charge a huge premium for it, but it'd sure be nice. Obviously I'm conflicted because I'd love to do it but it's so dang expensive!

The quandary for us is we actually love skiing in Utah more, but we live in Colorado Springs and that isn't changing. We've trekked to Utah 4 dozen times over the past 10 years and just can't make the 9-10 hour drive anymore. And week-long vacations are still not on the radar for lots of reasons.

We actually don't love the idea of a fixed holiday week as those are usually some of my busiest weeks at work. That'd be more costly for me over the next several years than paying developer prices. Plus, snow is usually always better in CO and UT in late February-March anyway.

Are you saying buying a fixed holiday week would be preferable to a floating prime winter week?

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
As long as you can comfortably purchase and pay the maintenance fees at this point in your life, buy now once you've decided what will work best for your family. In a few years the maintenance fees will be just a normal part of your budget and you will come to regard the accommodation part of your vacation as "free". Some people didn't buy their timeshares until their kids were already in high school. Then before the maintenance fees have become as standard a part of their monthly budget as their house, car, insurance, utility payments they have their first one starting college and they start looking at those maintenance fees as a hardship and see the timeshare purchase as a mistake. Many families who bought their timeshares when their children were small will tell you how they never had to give up having family vacations all through those expensive college years. Those family vacations during the high school and college years often hold treasured memories. Especially as when your children become adults family vacations can become very difficult to arrange with jobs, families of their own, distance, interests, and the different family's finances.

I remember telling my husband that we were buying a timeshare because we weren't going to be in our 50's and spending our vacations in a Motel 6 when our son went to college because we couldn't afford decent vacations. We were older parents. We've never forgotten me saying that and during those college years when we would walk into a resort we would say "well it isn't a Motel 6 but I guess it will do" and laugh.

Having day privileges at a resort that is close enough that you will actually be able to use them more than on just the rare occasion is worth having. Stop in at the resort sales office and talk to people. Sometimes there is something that needs a quick sale or someone has quotas to meet. Don't be afraid to push for a better price. Leave your name and number with a couple of them with instructions to call you if they "find" what you are looking for at the price you want to pay.

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I know it sounds horrible to buy from the developer.

Are you saying buying a fixed holiday week would be preferable to a floating prime winter week?

There are a lot of bargain hunters on TUG. Given your budget and vacationing objectives, you do not have the same goals as they do, so don't let conventional TUG guidance be the sole factor in your decision. You have to decide whether the day privilege and other owner benefits is worth the cost. Its hard to quantify to a dollar equivalent because each of our needs are so different. Like I said before, I could see myself buying at Grand Colorado under certain scenerios but I already own what I desire. Also, most people on this forum do not value prime ski weeks.

Like you, I have 4 kids and I can definitively state that timeshares are a huge economic benefit for vacationing when you have a large family. I highly recommend it.

I do like Breck and I do like the people and facilities of the Breckenridge Grand Vacations group. They have a solid track record and are reliable. Personally, I would only pay developer prices for a fixed week but not a floating week because I need the certainty due to kids school vacation schedule. It doesn't have to be Christmas/New Years but maybe Presidents week.

I believe Grand Timber Lodge allows day privileges to pass to resale owners and it is also owned/managed by BGV. Not as upscale and not as convenient since it is walk to lifts but I still like it. I also suggest taking a look at Hyatt Main Street Station (Breck), Hyatt Mountain Lodge (Beaver Creek), Hilton Valdaro (Breck), and Westin Riverfront (Beaver Creek) if you want to buy on the resale market and are ok without day privileges. I can refer you to a timeshare broker if you PM me who has been helpful to me in finding specific weeks and resorts.

JustynaC

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Newport Coast, Marriott's Aruba Ocean Club, Villa Del Palmar Cancun, El Cid Marina & Yacht Club, Four Seasons Aviara
Videoguy75 said:
I have read quite a bit about Marriott generally, but have not heard of this "direct bundle." Do you have any info or any know where info can be found on that?

I just purchased one. Feel free to send me a private message.
I m also interested in this, as I am a new owner of 3 of Marriott's Newport Coast Villas, and would like to understand about 'direct bundle'.

gnipgnop

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Since your on the Western side of the U.S. have you considered South Lake Tahoe or Inclined Village in Tahoe. The Hyatt there is beautiful and is close to many ski resorts. Tahoe is not just a winter ski town ~ the summer months are just as wonderful. In South Lake Tahoe there are two Marriott's right at the Heavenly Ski Lift and you are so close to restaurants and shops you can almost walk anywhere. Just more food for thought.

Addds

Reaction score
I just want to update this post and thank everyone for the advice I received. A lot has changed. We are on a rented weekend here at GTL, enjoying ourselves. But unexpectedly, we are moving. This was completely unexpected. Had I purchased with BVG back in January, I'd now be stuck with an expensive timeshare that I would likely not use how I originally thought I would.

You guys saved me!

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
As long as you can comfortably purchase and pay the maintenance fees at this point in your life, buy now once you've decided what will work best for your family. In a few years the maintenance fees will be just a normal part of your budget and you will come to regard the accommodation part of your vacation as "free". Some people didn't buy their timeshares until their kids were already in high school. Then before the maintenance fees have become as standard a part of their monthly budget as their house, car, insurance, utility payments they have their first one starting college and they start looking at those maintenance fees as a hardship and see the timeshare purchase as a mistake. Many families who bought their timeshares when their children were small will tell you how they never had to give up having family vacations all through those expensive college years. Those family vacations during the high school and college years often hold treasured memories. Especially as when your children become adults family vacations can become very difficult to arrange with jobs, families of their own, distance, interests, and the different family's finances.

I remember telling my husband that we were buying a timeshare because we weren't going to be in our 50's and spending our vacations in a Motel 6 when our son went to college because we couldn't afford decent vacations. We were older parents. We've never forgotten me saying that and during those college years when we would walk into a resort we would say "well it isn't a Motel 6 but I guess it will do" and laugh.

Having day privileges at a resort that is close enough that you will actually be able to use them more than on just the rare occasion is worth having. Stop in at the resort sales office and talk to people. Sometimes there is something that needs a quick sale or someone has quotas to meet. Don't be afraid to push for a better price. Leave your name and number with a couple of them with instructions to call you if they "find" what you are looking for at the price you want to pay.
I have to hand it to you.

You are #1 when it comes to most enjoyable post to read. Don't know your occupations. But you should have been an author

Last edited:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I just want to update this post and thank everyone for the advice I received. A lot has changed. We are on a rented weekend here at GTL, enjoying ourselves. But unexpectedly, we are moving. This was completely unexpected. Had I purchased with BVG back in January, I'd now be stuck with an expensive timeshare that I would likely not use how I originally thought I would.

You guys saved me!

Well, don't give up on the idea of a family vacation place (TS). Just expand your horizons. When you're ready again. post away.....the advice won't change that much!

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs

You are #1 when it comes to most enjoyable post to read. Don't know your occupations. But you should have been an author

Thanks! Glad you like my posts. I enjoy reading OP's posts about their timeshare and traveling experiences.

RLS50

TUG Member
Reaction score

I agree. JanM should be writing for a timesharing or vacation magazine or website.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would seriously suggest you just stay a renter and take advantage of the huge inventory of great units on the rental market that you get rent for usually around MFs unless you're talking super prime time. No need to lay out any capital to buy into a program that may not work for you and you can rent into location you want to.

Also the flexibility is what is so expensive in these programs. Unless the flexibility you seek is during the off-season which it doesn't sound like it is but to get prime 2-3 day short term vacations as mentioned is tough to secure and very expensive to use points in that fashion.

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
One quick WM comment. We love WM. WM has Steamboat Springs, South Lake Tahoe, Whistler and Park City for skiing. But, know that WM Park City is only 10 units (and they are great) so you have to book right at 13 months. However, they also have Midway, which is about 20 minutes from Park City and very charming.