• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Where to stay for one night on Maui

jdent1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV Bella
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Taking our first trip to Maui in September 2017 with 6 adults in our group. We are staying in the Westin Kaanapali for 6 nights and the 5 nights in the Westin Nanea, both in Kaanapali. However, we have one open night between the two locations. I would appreciate any recommendations on where to stay that one night. My thoughts are somewhere away from Lahaina/Kaanapali. I thought Hana but it seems there are very few hotels there. Another thought was somewhere near Halaeakala to cut down on that 3am drive to see the sunrise. I would appreciate any thoughts on something/somewhere to stay that one night - preferably away from Lahaina/Kaanapali.

mauitraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Taking our first trip to Maui in September 2017 with 6 adults in our group. We are staying in the Westin Kaanapali for 6 nights and the 5 nights in the Westin Nanea, both in Kaanapali. However, we have one open night between the two locations. I would appreciate any recommendations on where to stay that one night. My thoughts are somewhere away from Lahaina/Kaanapali. I thought Hana but it seems there are very few hotels there. Another thought was somewhere near Halaeakala to cut down on that 3am drive to see the sunrise. I would appreciate any thoughts on something/somewhere to stay that one night - preferably away from Lahaina/Kaanapali.
There are many hotels in the other areas of Maui. We have often thought about Marriott's Residence Inn in Wailea, or Marriott's Courtyard in Kahului, or even Kula Lodge. These would get you closer to the road up Haleakala. Others may have favorites that they have stayed at, so I'm sure you'll have a nice list of accommodations from which to choose for your one night. Enjoy your trip! CJ

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree the Marriott right next to the airport is fairly new and centrally located. You can drive to Hana and back in one day.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
If you want to stay 'up the mountain' closer to Haleakala, you may want to try a B&B around the Haiku area. Most require a 3 day minimum stay but I did find one that has very reasonable rates and no minimum stay - https://peaceofmaui.com/

linsj

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
Another vote for the Marriott Courtyard near the airport. Reasonably priced (at least when I was there); I think I paid $139 for one night and had a gift card to cover that.

Southerngirl528

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club: Old Key West & Vero Beach Marriott Maui Ocean Club Napili Tower
I think I paid $139 for one night and had a gift card to cover that.

WOW. If you were able to snag that low a price at the Kahului Courtyard Marriott I would LOVE to know your secret! :thumbup: I've used them a couple of times for one night between our flight into Maui and our c/i at MMOC. I'm a bargain shopper but didn't get close to that price.

As for rec's for one night, we have also stayed at the Inn at Mama's Fish House for 1-2 night stays for several trips before going to Hana for a few nights' stay. Not the cheapest place to stay in town, but the rooms are nicely done, super comfortable and have well thought out amenities. I do believe they are now charging a cleaning fee for 1 night stays, so be sure to check about that as well.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
WOW. If you were able to snag that low a price at the Kahului Courtyard Marriott I would LOVE to know your secret! :thumbup: I've used them a couple of times for one night between our flight into Maui and our c/i at MMOC. I'm a bargain shopper but didn't get close to that price.

As for rec's for one night, we have also stayed at the Inn at Mama's Fish House for 1-2 night stays for several trips before going to Hana for a few nights' stay. Not the cheapest place to stay in town, but the rooms are nicely done, super comfortable and have well thought out amenities. I do believe they are now charging a cleaning fee for 1 night stays, so be sure to check about that as well.
The Courtyard at Kahului is very nice and would be my choice for a single night stay away from Kaanapali. I would plan to do Haleakala, Hana or some other upcountry destination either the day you check in to the Courtyard or the day you check out, which would save a lot of driving. Another possibility (if you decide not to leave the Lahaina/Kaanapali area) would be the Pioneer Inn in Lahaina for its location, although it is not nearly as nice as the Courtyard.

On the other hand, because you have 6 adults and might not want to pay for multiple hotel rooms, you could just rent an extra night for cash at one of the timeshares.

Last edited:

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
WOW. If you were able to snag that low a price at the Kahului Courtyard Marriott I would LOVE to know your secret! :thumbup:

No secret; just a fluke. I booked at a higher rate and checked it every couple of weeks. Even the desk clerk was surprised at the price I got.

Last edited:

LJT

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think going to Hana is a great option and you should try Hana Accommodations for a place to stay. Hana-Maui.com. They offer homes to rent and even allow 1 night at some. We have done that often as the drive to Hana and back in one day is difficult for me as I get car sick. We have also stayed at the cottages at Mama's but they are pricey. If you want to do Haleakala then I would say the Marriott courtyard is a good option we have stayed there many times on our first night and then headed up the mountain in the morning. We have also tried some B&B's but they tend to be hit or miss and can't always accommodate 6 adults comfortably.

Southerngirl528

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club: Old Key West & Vero Beach Marriott Maui Ocean Club Napili Tower
No secret; just a fluke. I booked at a higher rate and checked it every couple of weeks. Even the desk clerk was surprised at the price I go

Since I watch the rates pretty regularly on the Kahului Courtyard, I have no doubt the desk clerk was surprised! I generally book Hawaii rez's, including car rentals very much like you describe. Curious, what date(s) did you book at the Courtyard? I'm encouraged that someone did get a great rate there, but I can only recall seeing their rate close to $200/night at best so I was pleasantly surprised to see your post. Congrats!:cheer:

As for Inn at Mama's, their cheapest rooms, Studios, are generally on a par with the rates I usually see at the Courtyard Marriott Kahului & we go to Maui every year for extended stays. But if you can grab a fabulous rate like Linsj did, HOORAY!!! :banana:

Southerngirl528

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As for Hana, we have stayed numerous times at Hana Kai Maui and love, love it there! For a one night stay they are also going to charge a cleaning fee unless you happen to be able to get a room that has one night available between other reservations.

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
Since I watch the rates pretty regularly on the Kahului Courtyard, I have no doubt the desk clerk was surprised! I generally book Hawaii rez's, including car rentals very much like you describe. Curious, what date(s) did you book at the Courtyard?

I was there in early September 2014. Didn't realize it was almost three years ago until I looked it up. But I've found great rates more recently at other hotels by watching frequently.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Since you'll be staying 11 nights in West Maui, I'd definitely opt for Hana. Take your time getting there and enjoy the road less traveled aka the Road past Hana on the day you return. We loved the Black Sand beach in Hana.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Regarding the prices at the Courtyard near the airport in Kahului, when it first opened a few years ago it was not unusual to see rates comparable to the rate suggested in this thread, and it was originally a Category 4 if using points. That was undoubtedly introductory stuff to get it established, as now it is much more expensive. Getting a night for $139 now would be a real fluke.

Southerngirl528

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was there in early September 2014. Didn't realize it was almost three years ago until I looked it up. But I've found great rates more recently at other hotels by watching frequently.

Thank you for clarifying that, Linsj! Much appreciated. :)

Regarding the prices at the Courtyard near the airport in Kahului, when it first opened a few years ago it was not unusual to see rates comparable to the rate suggested in this thread, and it was originally a Category 4 if using points. That was undoubtedly introductory stuff to get it established, as now it is much more expensive. Getting a night for $139 now would be a real fluke.

Yes, Bocaboy, your post is more in line of what I recalled from soon after opening. I have not found a rate much under $250 the last 2 or 3 years, and like Linsj, I am one to check rates very often, sometimes daily. That said, it is a super convenient location, very clean and I have found the staff to be very nice. :thumbup:

dss

TUG Member
Reaction score
From a trip planning perspective, staying somewhere in the Kahului area makes perfect sense to position you to be upcountry. I would only add one additional factor, and that is of convenience and potentially perishables. If you have an 11 day stay at the grounds of the Westin, you might be happier renting an additional unit there for the bridge night, if only to avoid having to move everything, in particular, any groceries, that you have purchased. I would say that the majority of guests a WKORV utilize the full kitchens and stop at Costco on the way in, and it's very easy to stock up and have a lot of food remaining at the six day mark. I would still lean towards staying in the Kahului area, especially since the one night rates at the Westin are often inflated when renting to Starwood directly (unless you have SPG points to burn).

jdent1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV Bella
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Thanks for all the replies! I am going to try Hana, but the Courtyard will be my choice the last night. Thanks.