• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Which is best London Marriott Category 9 to book...

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
A few questions, It was mentioned about taking a train from Heathrow to the Marriott County Hall. Can someone provide more details on that?

Also I wasn't thinking about renting a car figuring there was plenty to do close by and we'd probably take a tour or two. Should I rethink renting a car?

As I mentioned we have a stopover in Dusseldorf, which is 4.5 hours. Anyone have tips to kill a few hours in Germany? I was hoping to leave the airport at least for a few hours if we could somehow.

And regarding tours from the Marriott County Hall any to recommend?

Lastly anyone have experience with Lufthansa Business class?

The quickest, easiest but not necessarily cheapest way to travel by train from Heathrow is to take the Heathrow Express to London Paddington. County Hall is about 3 miles from Paddington, a taxi is your best option either a rip off black cab or a cheaper Uber or you could do what cp73 suggested and take the Tube however if it's your first time navigating the Tube it's a bit of a hassle particularly when hindered by luggage.

Don't rent a car, you won't need it. London is one of the best served cities public transport wise. Parking is difficult and expensive, you'll likely be in the congestion charge zone frequently and it is far too busy. Unless you're intending on visiting elsewhere in the country I wouldn't bother, you can easily spend a week in London and still only scratch the surface.

4.5 hours in Dusseldorf airport is best spent drinking beer. It's too short a time to consider sightseeing and there's not a great deal to see in Dusseldorf.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am a Londoner originally and used to drive in town all the time, but we moved to the countryside long ago.
I wouldn't think of driving in London when we visit now though, as I find the tube far easier and more relaxing for getting around.
As for the journey to and from Heathrow, friends from California staying at one of the Marriott's in central London recently (Marble Arch, as I recall?) compared black cabs v uber and found uber better in all aspects - under half the price, timely, convenient...

heatherw

Reaction score
Hi, Both fab places but if i were taking a 16 year old i would choose County Hall. Lots more stuff going in in the vicinty of Sounth Bank, more cheaper places within walking distance to eat.
the others are grander, more traditional part of London, nearer Oxford street for shops ( although you can get on the tube and this is only 2 stops away from county hall)

if you like walking - and this way you get to see some great sights - use this map which tells you the approximate walking time between stations on the tube as sometimes the stops are nearer than you think. Use in conjunction with google maps

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/walking-tube-map.pdf

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
County Hall for many, many reasons, but imho, for one main reason: it's June, time for "Trooping the Colour", to which you can WALK.....it takes place along the mall, the road leading out of Buckingham Palace. It's the greatest English spectacle and not to be missed, and occurs annually on 3 consecutive Saturdays in June. LOOK IT UP. You'll never regret it.

(BTW, we have stayed at both Grosvenor Square and County Hall, and I love both for different reasons, but for the first trip go with County Hall----you'll say "thanks"....It's so convenient to walk to many of London's most iconic landmarks, etc.)

Last edited:

dgf15215

TUG Member
Reaction score
There seem to be no end to London Hotel suggestions so I'll add mine - the historic St. Ermin's Hotel, part of the Marriott's Autograph collection. A 2-minute walk from St. James's Park tube station and an 8-minute walk from the Houses of Parliament, this regal hotel was headquarters to WWII covert operations. My wife and I found it extremely convenient and a real class act. Plus it "felt" like a British property. The walk to Buckingham Palace took just minutes and the St. James Park tube has a lot of connections going in all directions.

alhanna

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at St. Ermins hotel last year and were very pleased with the hotel. Location was walking distance to many attractions and there was a tube stop one block away. Service and food were very good.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
St. Ermin's Autograph Hotel is lovely and also very close to the iconic London sites around Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace, St. James Park, Trafalgar Sq., etc, etc., but if you're looking for that WOW factor for a London stay, consider County Hall. If the cost or point difference is significant, go with what is comfortable, but our very first family stay was immortalized and seared into our memories because of our stay at County Hall. Our amazing view across the Thames to Big Ben was spectacular (especially at night) and could never be topped, and hearing the hourly chimes will always add that extra charm to the experience.

see these images, taken from googlemaps:
(MINIMIZE the thumbnail pics at bottom!!!)

https://goo.gl/maps/nyZ1bZFqugL2

https://goo.gl/maps/fBVdDwM1Yr32

https://goo.gl/maps/DNCdJqBgKpK2

https://goo.gl/maps/uwrtwyfvofr

https://goo.gl/maps/PC1UNpuQjTz

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
.....if you're looking for that WOW factor for a London stay, consider County Hall. If the cost or point difference is significant, go with what is comfortable, but our very first family stay was immortalized and seared into our memories because of our stay at County Hall.
It is really interesting how one's first stay someplace can have such an impact. We feel about Grosvenor Square (and Chancery Court when it was a Renaissance) the way you do about County Hall. Our first stay at Grosvenor Square was 29 years ago when it was the only Marriott in London. We were disappointed with County Hall when we stayed there maybe 6-8 years ago, probably because we had such high expectations. And to us, being theater buffs, we found the Grosvenor Square location to be better. One great thing about London is that there are so many wonderful hotels to choose from, and you can't really go wrong with any of them.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
It is really interesting how one's first stay someplace can have such an impact. We feel about Grosvenor Square (and Chancery Court when it was a Renaissance) the way you do about County Hall. We were disappointed with County Hall when we stayed there maybe 6-8 years ago, probably because we had such high expectations. And to us, being theater buffs, we found the Grosvenor Square location to be better. One great thing about London is that there are so many wonderful hotels to choose from, and you can't really go wrong with any of them.

Great point(s), and the new Marriott options continue to get better. We have stayed at Grosvenor Sq also, and it was amazing. Every afternoon we sat in the park just below for an hour or two and simply talked and watched the people. It seemed to make our days last longer. Great hotel, actually gorgeous, and impeccable service. We are nowadays looking more and more to the Marriott "collection hotels", and will begin to book them more. I like what Marriott is doing in the big cities very much, both home and abroad.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Great point(s), and the new Marriott options continue to get better. We have stayed at Grosvenor Sq also, and it was amazing. Every afternoon we sat in the park just below for an hour or two and simply talked and watched the people. It seemed to make our days last longer. Great hotel, actually gorgeous, and impeccable service. We are nowadays looking more and more to the Marriott "collection hotels", and will begin to book them more. I like what Marriott is doing in the big cities very much, both home and abroad.
I agree that they are doing some very interesting things. We have not yet stayed in any of the "collection hotels", but I am intrigued by the concept. And it is not just in the cities. On the Big Island of Hawaii they now have the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel in the Autograph Collection, and I consider it to be one of the great hotels even after 50 years. We have stayed there twice, but not recently. My first glimpse of that hotel was on our honeymoon in 1973 where we had a fabulous buffet lunch (we did not stay there on that trip).

Whoffner

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge, Marriott Cyress Harbor, Marriott Grande Vista,
My first stay was also at County Hall and provided a great memory. I had business in the Ukraine and had to fly in Gatwick, my wife flew into Heathrow, we were going to meet at the hotel, when I checked in I was telling the doorman that my wife should have been there... he asked me to describe her and proceeded out to look for her.... the shock on my face when fifteen minutes later he walks her into the lobby..... talk about great service!!!!!

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's obviously the low season so many of the Marriotts, including a few of the Autograph collections, were available and still are, but I felt for my son and I the County Hall was the best. Park Lane is ranked higher and I'm sure many of them are very nice but it sounds like CH has the most within walking distance so that is a big plus. If I knew one had a better fitness center that the other that could sway me to another but it looks like they all have the same basically.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
I really liked reading this thread. Thanks!
I have a cat 8 certificate and leaning towards St Ermin's. Proximity to tube station is important to me. I have to look at County Hall now based on all the comments:), but not sure I 'll have enough points to upgrade my cert.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
... On the Big Island of Hawaii they now have the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel in the Autograph Collection, and I consider it to be one of the great hotels even after 50 years. We have stayed there twice, but not recently. My first glimpse of that hotel was on our honeymoon in 1973 where we had a fabulous buffet lunch (we did not stay there on that trip).

I have a similar impression of Mauna Kea beach hotel too :cool:
As a kid, our 1st family trip was from Oahu to Big Island in the 60's. We stopped off at the beach there. In my child eyes I thought it was the most posh hotel, even compared to the Waikiki hotels at the time. MKBH was the only hotel in that locale. I don't think Mauna Lani and Waikoloa were in existence then.
I've never stayed there but drove by last year on a timeshare stay. It still remains fondly my "best hotel from afar" :D

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
I really liked reading this thread. Thanks!
I have a cat 8 certificate and leaning towards St Ermin's. Proximity to tube station is important to me. I have to look at County Hall now based on all the comments:), but not sure I 'll have enough points to upgrade my cert.

Altho I love County Hall (have stayed there twice), I looked up the locations of St. Ermin's vs County Hall, and both are right there in the midst of the great London attractions, and walkable to them (Westminster Abbey, Big Ben, St. James Park, Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Sq., Piccadilly Circus, National Gallery Museum, etc., etc.---SEE BELOW)
Cost is always an issue, so rest assured with St. Ermin's you're still where you want to be!
We love walking everywhere, and from there you can too.... Well, at least to a lot of things...use the tube for everything else.

(MINIMIZE BOX to see whole picture)
https://goo.gl/maps/C8xuakoxQME2

Walking route (blue dots)
from County Hall > St. Ermin's Hotel > Trafalgar Sq > Sherlock Holmes Pub > Piccadilly Circus > Buckingham Palace, etc.:
(use ZOOM and Click & Drag to see area)
https://goo.gl/maps/msuz2cn6G7w

REMINDER:
If there in June, definitely look into attending/watching (FREE) one Saturday's "Trooping the Colour" (occurs on 3 consecutive Saturdays in June). You'll simply stand alongside the Mall and will be at arm's length from this great English spectacle. You'll never forget it!

https://www.google.com/search?q=ima...X&ved=0ahUKEwjQpaKj1fnRAhWIbiYKHRD5BfcQsAQIGQ

http://www.trooping-the-colour.co.uk/

http://www.householddivision.org.uk/trooping-the-colour

Note: In Trooping the Colour, the Queen rides in the carriage on the last day. The first two Saturdays are mere rehearsals with the carriage empty, but otherwise still carried out in full regalia just as if she were there. It's all about the Queen's birthday celebration. If the Queen lives past June, and she's been in poor health of late, this might possibly be her last ceremony, so it might be one that people would want to see. She has been a magnificent queen during her 65 year reign, and I wish I could be there myself to cheer her on.

Last edited:

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here were my notes on the Tube from Heathrow to County Hall. Take the Picadilly line to Hammersmith. At Hammersmith get off (cross the platform) and get to the District Line to Westminster. When we were at Heathrow there were employees at the vending machines to help you get your tickets. Since we are not familiar with riding a subway or tube it was a big help. It was easy to do. I think it took about 30 to 40 minutes. From Westminster exit to County Hall its a short 5 minute walk across the Thames. When you exit the subway you are in the heart of London. It was an amazing introduction to London. That first day we took the hop on/off bus for a ride around the city for a few hours (dozed a few times also). There is lots within walking distance of County Hall, Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace, etc. I want to go back.

This sounds easy enough and likely the approach we'll take. We're light packers so we'll only have a small piece of luggage each with a backpacks that should make it easy to navigate with.

Where exactly is the tube in proximity to Heathrow?

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Since we are not familiar with riding a subway or tube it was a big help. It was easy to do. I think it took about 30 to 40 minutes. From Westminster exit to County Hall its a short 5 minute walk across the Thames. When you exit the subway you are in the heart of London.
Actually about an hour. The Heathrow Express is about 10-15 minutes. We have done both and either is much better than a taxi.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Where exactly is the tube in proximity to Heathrow?
The tube station is right in the airport. Actually there is more than one station, so the one you use is dependent on the terminal you are in. Very easy.

dgf15215

TUG Member
Reaction score
Using the Heathrow Tube is a lot easier than it sounds when we're all giving you directions <g>. There is a great visitors center at Heathrow who will sell you the tickets, give you maps and specific directions on where to go next. Plus you can buy a transit card (I forget what they're called) that you can add cash to as you need it. Be sure to buy the one that is good 24/7 - there's a less expensive one for tourists that keep you off the rails during rush hour but that was very limiting.

heatherw

Reaction score
Using the Heathrow Tube is a lot easier than it sounds when we're all giving you directions <g>. There is a great visitors center at Heathrow who will sell you the tickets, give you maps and specific directions on where to go next. Plus you can buy a transit card (I forget what they're called) that you can add cash to as you need it. Be sure to buy the one that is good 24/7 - there's a less expensive one for tourists that keep you off the rails during rush hour but that was very limiting.

I thnk you are referring to the Oyster card, which you can still get. However, The good news is that you can now use contactless payments, so you don't need to buy tickets in advance and it will automatically give you the best rate. This works for most (but not all) non UK contacless too. I know american express and mastercard are ok but some visa ones are not

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
I thnk you are referring to the Oyster card, which you can still get. However, The good news is that you can now use contactless payments, so you don't need to buy tickets in advance and it will automatically give you the best rate. This works for most (but not all) non UK contacless too. I know american express and mastercard are ok but some visa ones are not
Please explain. I am familiar with the Oyster card, but I don't know what you mean by "contactless payments."