• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hankmoon

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are thinking of buying a TS at either Maui Ocean Club, Ko Olina, or Waiohai. I am wondering which one you like the best? What are the pros and cons of each?

If you are an owner at one of these resorts and have done exchanges through II, what have you been able to exchange for? How easy has it been to get what you wanted through an exchange? Has anyone gotten an exchange for Westin St John?

With the 2 BR lockoff, if you deposit a 1 BR and a studio, what kinds of exchanges and in what places do you get exchanges? If I would want to exchange for other equivalent resorts, would it be better to deposit it as a 2BR?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Maui Ocean Club would be my choice because it's such an oceanfront location and it's Maui and more rentable, should the need arise to rent it.

Don't exchange it with II. What a total waste of those MF's. Use it.

Waiohai has very few units that are close to the ocean, and maybe my opinion would be different, if I didn't have a very difficult time walking around our last stay there. We were by the pond with the swan, so we were fortunately not on the outside units, with the views of Brennecke's parking lot. Anyway, it was a long painful walk to the ocean from where we were.

We had so many choices to buy, when we decided what we wanted to own. Rick chose the place, and we are happy to own there, but it's not fancy like the Marriott, and we are good with it. Our unit still has the two bedrooms and washer/dryer, great kitchen (equipped better than most), and our lanai is 35 feet from the ocean, but it's not for most. It's very average. I love it. Our fees are higher than they should be, but we pay land lease payments and $270 in property tax per week. 3 weeks is also too many to own, but we have rented it each time we couldn't use it. It's worked fine for us, so far.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are thinking of buying a TS at either Maui Ocean Club, Ko Olina, or Waiohai. I am wondering which one you like the best? What are the pros and cons of each?

If you are an owner at one of these resorts and have done exchanges through II, what have you been able to exchange for? How easy has it been to get what you wanted through an exchange? Has anyone gotten an exchange for Westin St John?

With the 2 BR lockoff, if you deposit a 1 BR and a studio, what kinds of exchanges and in what places do you get exchanges? If I would want to exchange for other equivalent resorts, would it be better to deposit it as a 2BR?
The answers you'll get will be all over the place. You'll have to look at the pros and cons, prices, etc. If you get a good week they should all trade well. None will be a good choice for exchanging but using most of the time and exchanging part of the time will be helpful. We despise KBC so we'll not go rather than stay there but all the rest are nice. Ko Olina is likely the best value $$$ wise. Ko Olina and Maui have lockoff's. All have high fees comparatively speaking. My ease of exchanging has been more in than out as I own at Ko Olina but elsewhere. Generally I've deposited Ko Olina as separate deposits and gone to Aruba or taken Destination Club points which I'll likely do for next summer as well the way things are shaping up (exchanged in).

Ultimately the answer I'd give you would depend on your preferences and how you'd use it. To go to HI every year I'd likely own Maui and Kauai (non KBC, likely Waiohai). To go EOY and exchange on off years I'd likely own Maui and Ko Olina because they are the ones with a lockoff.

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We own an EOY ocean view at Ko Olina and an annual ocean front at the Lahaina/Napili towers on Maui.

We have owned MKO longer as my DW and I really loved the atmosphere at the resort, which led us to buy there after trading in a couple times. As noted by others, the up front cost is less here than the newer towers in Maui as are the MF's. We don't plan to exchange via II as anything other than Maui would likely be a trade down in value given the MF's. We love the view of the resort and the ocean, but it only has man made lagoons rather than an ocean. No problem for us, but some may not care for it as much. You also have various historical sites and Waikiki to visit, but can also get away to the north shore or simply stay put at Ko Olina. Two additional resorts are being planned for the open spaces along the lagoons, one of which will be next to MKO, but we hoping it doesn't have a significant impact on the atmosphere.

Last year we decided to buy MOC Lahaina tower in the OF view after having stayed there using DC points a couple of times. We had stayed in a mountain/garden view and enjoyed it, but during a sales tour we had a chance to visit an OF unit and were blown away by the view. We bought a resale unit after doing some research and discussing it with a friend here on TUG. We will be staying in it for the first time this fall. As with MKO, we will not trade this via II. MOC is in a great location. You can walk along the sidewalk path along the ocean and get down to Whaler's Village for restaurants. Thebeach and view of the neighboring islands are also breathtaking. As mentioned earlier, up front costs are higher and so are the MF's. We think it's worth it.

We have stayed at Waiohai and KBC on Kauai and enjoyed both of them, but didn't have the same feeling about them as where we have bought.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Best regards.

Mike

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
We own KBC and Waiohai. We have stayed at those as well as MOC and Ko Olina.

Each has its pro's and con's; there is no right answer. Is a kitchen important? Will the number in the group vary year by year? Are kid activities important? Do you want/need a fixed week? Do you prefer a low rise or a high rise environment? Price?

My suggestion is to rent at each if you haven't already, walk the properties by day and night to determine which view category you want, and then decide. Prices are not going up while you research.

btw--if you are concerned about not wanting to go to Hawaii every year, consider buying an every other year unit and renting as needed to supplement.

Last edited:

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
Every user here will have a different opinion about the HI resorts.
We have kids that grew up vacationing in Hawaii.
When the kids were little, Ko Olina was the place because the lagoons were suited to them.
As teenagers, they love Waiohai and Poipu beach.
At Waiohai, we see the exact same people there year after year, and have developed strong relationships. You should also be reading from that statement that Waiohai owners tend to stay there (meaning they tend not to deposit in II). Being a non-lock-off resort also means very, very few Waiohai deposits.
Ko Olina is so big that every time we go there it's new faces.

If we ranked them it would be:

1. Waiohai
2. Ko Olina
3. Maui Ocean Club
4. Kauai Lagoons
5. Kauai Beach Club

The first three are steps away from the water.
Ko Olina has the best views and arguably the best pool. It is also on the quieter western part of Oahu. Much less hectic than Waikiki. Bad thing about Ko Olina is that there is no beach nearby; the four lagoons hardly count as a beach.
Waiohai has Poipu beach; Maui has Lahaina - both spectacular beaches.
Waiohai is very laid back. "Feels more like Hawaii" than the other locations.
Maui Ocean Club is in busy Lahaina; take that as a pro or a con.
Kauai Lagoons is too isolated. No nearby beach.
KBC has a good location and OK beach but the rooms are converted hotel units. They were not a big hit with my family.

Why not rent a week at each and see how they feel? You cannot go wrong at any of the three you are considering.

And as multiple people have consistently said - don't buy Hawaii to trade in II. The MF are so high, anything you trade for will be worth less.
Do not think that just because you own a 2BR Ko Olina OV that you will easily trade into Waiohai or vice versa.
II does not get a lot of Marriott Hawaii deposits, so they likely will not have something to trade to you. Plus, owners are more likely to deposit their studios into II; you will not see many 2BR deposits.
And if you own an Ocean View unit and deposit in II, you will get an Ocean View at the other resort, right? NOPE! View is moot once you deposit.
I don't think this point of low II Marriott Hawaii availability is sinking in quite yet.

In terms or buying resale, things to consider:
Waiohai and Ko Olina are about the same in current sales prices. Maui will be more expensive, as will anything you do in Lahaina.
Ko Olina and Waiohai are the lowest prices I have ever seen. It's a good time to buy. If they dropped by half, you would not be out much $$.
It was not that long ago that 2BR at either was $18,000.
At Waiohai, your options are very simple: 2BR Island View or 2BR Ocean View. And Waiohai has no lockoffs.
At Ko Olina there are more options 1BR, 2BR, 3BR, Penthouse, and for each Island View or Ocean View
At Maui, there are many options. There are two Maui Ocean Clubs, each with a different tower. 1BR, 2BR, Island View, Ocean View, Ocean Front.
And of course for all of the above another option is EOY or Annual...

Last edited:

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
As others have commented I wouldn't use MVCI HI resorts for II trades. Buy an EOY contract if you think you won't go to HI every year. Or two contracts - that would give you access to 13 month reservations and a nice 2 week vacation on 2 islands. That said...

I own at both, but I like Waiohai better than MOC which makes sense because I like Kauai better than Maui and the resorts reflect their island's sensibilities. I never wanted to stay at Ko Olina because it's on the wrong side of the Oahu for me and my family. However, we'll be staying there for the first time next summer for a few days after we visit Honolulu and use Ko Olina as a base to see the west and north side of Oahu. It has been said that in Hawaii, "Everyone finds their own island". If you haven't been to all four of the major islands I would rent before you buy - the island matters more than the resort.

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
Owning two EOY to get the 13-month advantage can work if both have usage in the same year (i.e. both Even or both Odd). If you own an Even and an Odd, I don't think you can take advantage of the 13 month rule. I mean, you will qualify for it, but there is to way to actually use it. But remember that 2 EOY weeks are going to cost you more than one Annual week.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Owning two EOY to get the 13-month advantage can work if both have usage in the same year (i.e. both Even or both Odd). If you own an Even and an Odd, I don't think you can take advantage of the 13 month rule. I mean, you will qualify for it, but there is to way to actually use it. But remember that 2 EOY weeks are going to cost you more than one Annual week.
EOY weeks are usually more but not always. The only way to use the 13 month rule would be for the last week in one year and the first in another and that would normally require a Plus week if it were a HI week.

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
EOY weeks are usually more but not always. The only way to use the 13 month rule would be for the last week in one year and the first in another and that would normally require a Plus week if it were a HI week.

Exactly what I was thinking. Just couldn't find the words to say it.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Exactly what I was thinking. Just couldn't find the words to say it.
I'd add that even if the prices are less favorable annual vs EOY, the fee difference may still hold an advantage for many, it certainly does for us. The other issue about the back to back one year to the next is that the week 53 can get you sometimes and possibly help you at others.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I'd buy a TS on the island I liked the best. I can't imagine anyone who'd like Oahu and Maui equally. Only then would I consider the differences between any final contenders.

If you want to exchange for Westin St. John, either of the II TSs should have enough pull to see exchange...in theory. However, I'll warn you that in years' past, there has been zero WSJ availability in II. Now that II owns VSE, you might see some availability, but I wouldn't count on it, especially if I didn't have Vistana priority.

Personally, I think your best bet would be to offer a direct exchange with whatever Hawaii property you buy via the Tug classifieds. I successfully direct exchanged Harborside for WKORV here on Tug. IME, Maui would be the best option for exchanges, however once again, I wouldn't buy a Hawaii TS based on what would be the best exchanger. If you're not going to use it most years, I'd consider renting, as they are expensive to buy and to maintain.

bhrungo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just returned from an exchange at the Maui Marriott Lahaina & Napili Villas. Stayed in a 2 bedroom, Island view, in the Napili tower. Room 7315.
Although it was categorized as "Island View," we had an ocean view from one of our balconies. It was a wonderful exchange.
Heard from an owner that their maintenance fees are outrageous. But I can see why!

I think I'll keep my Worldmark maintenance fees and just exchange in again.

normab

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree that if you're going to pay Hawaii maintenance fees then choose the island you like the best. Seriously, everybody has a favorite, even though all the islands are great.

We own at Waiohai (yes Kauai is OUR favorite), but always want additional weeks since we like more than one week in Hawaii, after the long trip to Hawaii. So we trade into other Hawaii units and have been very happy with our exchanges. We use Beachplace gold season for Marriotts and Willow lodge (Branson) silver season for non Marriotts. Until recently there was no Marriott TS on the big island so we have found some good non Marriotts there and have enjoyed those exchanges. (In general, we usually request at least 9 months out and that probably helps.) My point here is that you don't need a Hawaii TS to trade into Hawaii, but obviously if you want to occupy that's a different story.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Ko Olina has the best views and arguably the best pool.
Do you seriously think that Ko Olina has better views and a better pool than Maui Ocean Club? It is a great resort, but I think very few people would agree with that. (We own at both resorts.)

tugcccsp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MMOC Lahaina Villas
MMOC Napili Villas
Marriott Summit Watch
Marriott Mountainside
Welk-Escondido
Just returned from an exchange at the Maui Marriott Lahaina & Napili Villas. Stayed in a 2 bedroom, Island view, in the Napili tower. Room 7315.
Although it was categorized as "Island View," we had an ocean view from one of our balconies. It was a wonderful exchange.
Heard from an owner that their maintenance fees are outrageous. But I can see why!

I think I'll keep my Worldmark maintenance fees and just exchange in again.
I stayed on the same floor as you at the same time. We may have bumped into each other. It was a great time of year to be there. The clouds made the scenery beautiful.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd buy a TS on the island I liked the best. I can't imagine anyone who'd like Oahu and Maui equally. Only then would I consider the differences between any final contenders.
Funny you said this. Maui is at the bottom for us. Ko Olina is at the top for us, followed by Kauai. Many think Oahu = Waikiki and I will never want to stay at Waikiki. To us Ko Olina has the best of both worlds. The palis are as breathtaking as what we see in Kauai - you have to go up West and North to see them. Ko Olina is not as urban as Maui and not as remote as Kauai. We are still thinking of buying an EOY MKO but we also do not like the idea that we have to commit to flying to Hawaii, even if it is every other year.

Hankmoon

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know this is a Hawaii forum but we have been to Hawaii and all the islands at least 8 times. We usually stay at 4 and 5 star resorts equivalent or better than the Marriotts. This year, we decided to explore Mexico and we have decided that Mexico blows Hawaii away for many reasons: better beaches (on Caribbean side), equivalent or better scenery in Puerto Vallarta, much more affordable on both sides, better restaurants, and much nicer resorts/facilities. The 4 and 5 star time shares and vacation clubs in Mexico are on the AAA 4 diamond and 5 diamond lists. They are simply amazing. We were going to buy a Marriott timeshare on TUG but we decided to buy a Grand Luxxe instead. We also own a 2 bedroom lock off with Occidental that allows us to travel all over Mexico as well as Aruba, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic and more and the quality of the First Club 2 bedrooms are better than the Marriotts because we are guaranteed an Ocean View and treated like royalty when we visit. I do not understand why the Mexican timeshares have such a bad reputation. I do know that Vidanta is rated #1 and Occidental is rated #2 as the top Mexican vacation clubs (timeshares). Occidental is the most incredible deal in my opinion since Barcelo bought them. We got so many perks and extra weeks, free days every year and special perks in our membership because we bought a 2 bedroom. We have the choice of 120 properties all over the world with one phone call. Grand Luxxe only has two locations (although Vidanta has 7 locations) but they are planning major expansion of the Grand Luxxe brand. The entry level price for Grand Luxxe is like buying a Marriott in Hawaii right now but you get 3 weeks a year and 2 weeks a year with their trading partner (to travel worldwide) with no mandatory fees. Plus a bunch of other perks. Also, with the trading partners, you can exchange a lower level Vidanta resort if you want or pay a lower exchange fee than a Marriott for trading purposes. The service at both of our Mexican clubs is out of this world as members. At the Marriotts, you are not treated special. It is a 4 star American corporation. At Vidanta, every employee puts their heart across their heart when they greet you, no matter what level resort you are staying at. It is a very nice tradition.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I know this is a Hawaii forum but we have been to Hawaii and all the islands at least 8 times. We usually stay at 4 and 5 star resorts equivalent or better than the Marriotts. This year, we decided to explore Mexico and we have decided that Mexico blows Hawaii away for many reasons: better beaches (on Caribbean side), equivalent or better scenery in Puerto Vallarta, much more affordable on both sides, better restaurants, and much nicer resorts/facilities. The 4 and 5 star time shares and vacation clubs in Mexico are on the AAA 4 diamond and 5 diamond lists. They are simply amazing. We were going to buy a Marriott timeshare on TUG but we decided to buy a Grand Luxxe instead. We also own a 2 bedroom lock off with Occidental that allows us to travel all over Mexico as well as Aruba, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic and more and the quality of the First Club 2 bedrooms are better than the Marriotts because we are guaranteed an Ocean View and treated like royalty when we visit. I do not understand why the Mexican timeshares have such a bad reputation. I do know that Vidanta is rated #1 and Occidental is rated #2 as the top Mexican vacation clubs (timeshares). Occidental is the most incredible deal in my opinion since Barcelo bought them. We got so many perks and extra weeks, free days every year and special perks in our membership because we bought a 2 bedroom. We have the choice of 120 properties all over the world with one phone call. Grand Luxxe only has two locations (although Vidanta has 7 locations) but they are planning major expansion of the Grand Luxxe brand. The entry level price for Grand Luxxe is like buying a Marriott in Hawaii right now but you get 3 weeks a year and 2 weeks a year with their trading partner (to travel worldwide) with no mandatory fees. Plus a bunch of other perks. Also, with the trading partners, you can exchange a lower level Vidanta resort if you want or pay a lower exchange fee than a Marriott for trading purposes. The service at both of our Mexican clubs is out of this world as members. At the Marriotts, you are not treated special. It is a 4 star American corporation. At Vidanta, every employee puts their heart across their heart when they greet you, no matter what level resort you are staying at. It is a very nice tradition.
I agree that many of the top brands Mexican developer timeshares beat the hell out of the Marriotts, Westins and Hyatts. The main issue with Mexican timeshare is that not everyone is comfortable with travelling and staying in Mexico because of the fear of being caught in the middle of a drug cartel conflict. Several of these developers are also unscrupulous in their sales tactics. Hawaii is still part of USA and USA laws apply. Much of it is psychological. But there is also the reality that if one gets into any sort of trouble in foreign (Mexican) soil, USA laws do not apply.

Hankmoon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes that is why the deals in Mexico are so much better for those of us who can tolerate the risk - and who know how to negotiate with the timeshare developers. The timeshare developers have offered me a job after I have bought from them - LOL!

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If one wants to go to MX, they can exchange in to top level resorts easily and cheaply. Certainly there are a ton of great resorts in MX but there are negatives and the scenery is different than HI, which many would say is better. But MX isn't as safe overall as it was a few years ago though it varies by location somewhat, hopefully the pendulum will swing back at some point. We much prefer Aruba over MX having been to both several times.

Hankmoon

TUG Member
Reaction score
The first time I went to Hawaii, I was in my late 20s about 30 years ago, after having grown up in Miami and having traveled all over the world before and after then. My first island visit in Maui was at the beautiful Sheraton Kaanapali in a direct oceanfront room with my partner. I enjoyed it a lot for a 20 something year old. But even then, with much less travel than now, I was disappointed with Maui. I thought it was over hyped. Since then, I have been to the various islands of Hawaii at least 6 more times that I can remember - back to Maui (Grand Wailea), to Kauai twice (Westin Princeville oceanview and Hilton ocean view), to the Big Island twice (Hilton ocean view and Fairmont Orchid oceanview), and to north shore of Oahu (Turtle Bay direct oceanfront condo within 20 yards walking to the beach). Yet, to me, Hawaii has never compared to the landscape and beaches of Mexico and Caribbean and it does not hold a candle to French Polynesia (Moorea, Bora Bora, Tahaa, and other islands of the Pacific, which we have visited multiple times).

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
Do you seriously think that Ko Olina has better views and a better pool than Maui Ocean Club? It is a great resort, but I think very few people would agree with that. (We own at both resorts.)

Yup. I seriously do. That's the cool thing about opinions, eh? I'm right. You're right. We're all right.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Why don't people simply JOIN TUG and have access to the reviews instead of asking PAYING members? Of course, they could just Google it, or call their library's Reference Desk.

Oh, never mind. (ducking)