• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Why don't we switch to interval?

Gundy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any information on this? RCI continues to have less availability and is getting more expensive. The only really value I see is Disney which has gotten almost impossible to exchange into. I would love to trade for Marriott, Westin, Sheraton, and Hyatt. Just seems like the resorts in RCI are lower quality. Is there anything we can do as owners?

Maybe I'm wrong and others don't agree but I'm curious to hear some opinions....

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Hilton has the 1-in-4 rule, and I don't think II will impose a rule on an exchange. That rule benefits Hilton, since it brings more people for those timeshare tours. I would be shocked to see a change like that, no matter what owners wanted. Owners don't count. That is just how it is.

I am wondering if Marriott will eventually move to RCI for the 1-in-4.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I started the poll thread because I was hoping lots more Hgvc owners would participate, so far 23 with 22 preferring II. I actually thought of sending Hgvc the results but not so sure with such a low number it would have merit.

We assume Hgvc doesn't care what owners want but maybe they just don't know we prefer II. I did send an email with my personal preference to them before I started the thread.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
In the end, it's all about the money. I'm sure HGVC has a sweetheart deal they won't get with II.

Look at it from HGCV's perspective. They're selling HGVC. They're not selling RCI or RCI points. The exchange company is an "added value" benefit but, they're not selling the idea of owning to exchange thru RCI. They're selling HGVC with the idea of owners staying within their system.

The jokes on them. I own two 3 bedroom Marriott units and only one 2 bedroom HGVC unit. I don't need more points to get what I want out of HGVC's system and the exchange company they hitched their wagon too offers me absolutely nothing worth exchanging into. Maybe if HGVC had been more competitive with what I consider the better exchange company (based on the quality brand resorts I desire), I might own more Hilton and less Marriott.

mcsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara - Las Vegas
Southwind, Egret Point & Waterside by Spinnaker - HHI
Vacation Village @ Weston
For those of us that are have no experience with II, what is the benefit of it over RCI. Of the 3 TS's I have owned, all have been associated with RCI. I agree that the selection seems to be limited in value from RCI but have always just attributed that to my inexperience in using their system and not planning far enough ahead.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
For those of us that are have no experience with II, what is the benefit of it over RCI. Of the 3 TS's I have owned, all have been associated with RCI. I agree that the selection seems to be limited in value from RCI but have always just attributed that to my inexperience in using their system and not planning far enough ahead.

A lot of it amounts to personal preference. My list of advantages would be

1. Better quality resorts in II with Starwood, Westin, Hyatt, And Marriott available.
2. Lower membership fee
3. Lower exchanges fee's.
4. Request first option where I don't give up my unit until an acceptable exchange is confirmed
5. I've never had an exchange confirmation cancelled by II but every year I read in the exchange forum where a high value resort week gets cancelled by RCI and RCI attempts to substitute something of lesser value.

Now having said all this I'll qualify these advantages by telling you I'm canceling our personal II membership when the bill comes due. II has been increasing its fees and I find less value with Interval than I have in the past. We dumped 3 resort weeks that we use to exchanging in II. The weeks we've kept are almost exclusively used within their system or for personal usage. We use to make 2 to 3 exchanges per year. Now we're down to making one exchange every other year outside of the Marriott system of resorts. We do use Marriotts corporate II account to exchange between Marriott resorts but, that's covered by Marriotts all inclusive Destintion Club membership fee. I recently removed my phone number from our II profile so we stopped receiving annoying calls from rude II employees. This because the last one told me I couldn't request no phone calls from II.

Honestly we've found decreasing value in both RCI and II over the last several years as each have added new fees to go along with increasing membership and exchange fees. At this point we could live without either one if push came to shove.

Last edited:

mcsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara - Las Vegas
Southwind, Egret Point & Waterside by Spinnaker - HHI
Vacation Village @ Weston
A lot of it amounts to personal preference. My list of advantages would be

1. Better quality resorts in II with Starwood, Westin, Hyatt, And Marriott available.
2. Lower membership fee
3. Lower exchanges fee's.
4. Request first option where I don't give up my unit until an acceptable exchange is confirmed
5. I've never had an exchange confirmation cancelled by II but every year I read in the exchange forum where a high value resort week gets cancelled by RCI and RCI attempts to substitute something of lesser value.

Now having said all this I'll qualify these advantages by telling you I'm canceling our personal II membership when the bill comes due. II has been increasing its fees and I find less value with Interval than I have in the past. We dumped 3 resort weeks that we use to exchanging in II. The weeks we've kept are almost exclusively used within their system or for personal usage. We use to make 2 to 3 exchanges per year. Now we're down to making one exchange every other year outside of the Marriott system of resorts. We do use Marriotts corporate II account to exchange between Marriott resorts but, that's covered by Marriotts all inclusive Destintion Club membership fee. I recently removed my phone number from our II profile so we stopped receiving annoying calls from rude II employees. This because the last one told me I couldn't request no phone calls from II.

Honestly we've found decreasing value in both RCI and II over the last several years as each have added new fees to go along with increasing membership and exchange fees. At this point we could live without either one if push came to shove.

Thanks for the details. It is interesting that membership fee is noted in many of the posts I read about II and RCI. I have not had direct experience in the fees as they are part of the annual maintenance (currently with HGVC) and I don't see it. Perhaps this also is why I have not been able to locate the properties I have wanted through RCI as you mention Weston and Marriott are through II.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Thanks for the details. It is interesting that membership fee is noted in many of the posts I read about II and RCI. I have not had direct experience in the fees as they are part of the annual maintenance (currently with HGVC) and I don't see it. Perhaps this also is why I have not been able to locate the properties I have wanted through RCI as you mention Weston and Marriott are through II.

But you do see it to some extent, in the form of increasing HGVC club fees.

K2Quick

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've become largely the same way. At the moment, I only own Worldmark and since I'm increasingly tied to a school calendar, I find myself booking mostly Worldmark resorts with the occasional trade (I'm a member of both II and RCI) - I've only booked one exchange each via II and RCI the past three years. While it is true that II has more high-quality resorts, they are very hard to exchange into during peak demand seasons as all of high-quality brands (with the exception of Hyatt) offer long internal exchange preference windows during which you're locked out for a period of about three weeks from the deposit date unless you own within those systems. I think HGVC owners would find themselves trading just as infrequently with II as they currently do with RCI.

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any information on this? RCI continues to have less availability and is getting more expensive. The only really value I see is Disney which has gotten almost impossible to exchange into. I would love to trade for Marriott, Westin, Sheraton, and Hyatt. Just seems like the resorts in RCI are lower quality. Is there anything we can do as owners?

Maybe I'm wrong and others don't agree but I'm curious to hear some opinions....

IMHO Doing any exchange outside of the HGVC system with HGVC points is a bad deal (yes even DVC).

Reasons:

1. The Crazy Reservation fee of over $200
2. The Resort Fees that seem to magically be added to any exchange.

Usually when you add 1+2+your MF it is usually cheaper to rent (especially when you don't go for 1 week at a time and instead prefer long weekends or partial weeks). On top of all that, the 4 HGVC resorts in Orlando are all High Quality (similar to DVC). I have yet to go to a single resort which exceeded the quality of HGVC (and that includes the OKW DVC unit I have been in). The only real perk that DVC offers is EMH(no value to me) and the on site transport(some value, but my parking is free as a annual pass holder, and for over $300 in fees, I can drive there and use the money to pay in park meals etc and probably still have money left over.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
IMHO Doing any exchange outside of the HGVC system with HGVC points is a bad deal (yes even DVC).

Reasons:

1. The Crazy Reservation fee of over $200
2. The Resort Fees that seem to magically be added to any exchange.

Usually when you add 1+2+your MF it is usually cheaper to rent (especially when you don't go for 1 week at a time and instead prefer long weekends or partial weeks). On top of all that, the 4 HGVC resorts in Orlando are all High Quality (similar to DVC). I have yet to go to a single resort which exceeded the quality of HGVC (and that includes the OKW DVC unit I have been in). The only real perk that DVC offers is EMH(no value to me) and the on site transport(some value, but my parking is free as a annual pass holder, and for over $300 in fees, I can drive there and use the money to pay in park meals etc and probably still have money left over.

When we could trade 3400 hgvc pointa for a 1br at villas at grand californian or a 1br ocean view at aulani it was worth it. 3400 pts are about $700 maintenance fee+$195 exchange fee and $95 dvc fee=$990. Can't rent a 1br at aulani or grand cal for that price. Even with the increase of fees it is about $110 more it still makes the exchange a good value. Now i am the first to admit that i haven't gotten a dvc exchanhe into aulani for the past 2 years with hgvc but it was good while it lasted.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)

I would love for hgvc to switch to interval international. Better quality resorts than rci. Also they operate on a more like for like exchange system. With rci you just start an ogs and wait in line till you search becomes well aged. With II they use a trade power grid that the more in demand resorts get the tradesninto like quality resorts first after marriott and westin preference period.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk