• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Why I Buy Timeshares (instead of a second home)

DonnaD

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree Vacation Club
My husband and I decided to concentrate our timeshare ownership in Raintree Vacation Club as our winter get-away. We upgraded our membership so that we have enough points to stay a little more than 6 weeks in a 1 bedroom in prime time. We accelerate and pay 2nd maintenance fee so that we then have 12 weeks prime time available. We had stayed 9 weeks the last 4 years at Club Regina in Puerto Vallarta where we made lots of snowbird friends that we enjoyed each winter. Last May, my dear TIM passed away. I decided to keep our reservation and I have enjoyed a healing and wonderful stay at Club Regina. I feel very safe and surrounded by wonderful friends who make each day a joy. I don't worry about maintaining a second home and our daily housekeeper treats me so kindly. I feel welcomed like family by our staff. It truly is our second home.
This year, I have gotten involved with a wonderful children's home for abandoned children. It is called Corazon de Nina and my heart is afire with enthusiasm to help the Mama and Papa of the 33 children in their care. It has been very rewarding and exciting to share in their efforts to break the cycle of poverty and to strive for educational opportunities.

newportbeach

TUG Member
Reaction score
The one advantage to a second home is the appreciation ( hopefully) that you get. Having said this I just sold a beach house (near the beach). I sold at a modest profit to the time we owned it. I was overjoyed to get rid of the worry of the second house. I would prefer the timeshare route also for the reasons mentioned by all. If you enjoy puttering around the house though I would buy a second home as long as you have a place you want to spend a lot of time at.
Amen

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
Appreciation can be a real thing
But

Let's say I'm buying a $250000 condo as a second home and my plan is to use it 6 months a year. So I have just committed $250000 to the real estate market

Compare that to buying enough Worldmark credits to stay at a resort for 26 weeks. 100000 credits would do it. And the cost would be about $30000
Leaving $220000 To invest in something else for appreciation

I would not give any advice on whether real estate or other investments are better for the future. If we are getting this deep you have to take into account the increased leverage you can have with real estate. I wanted to get rid of our 2nd home for peace of mind reasons. The smart buyer was going to rent it. If you believe zillow you could have mortgaged the entire thing and rented for about a 300 dollar per month profit. This was 3 months ago with mortgage rates at that time. This would have covered maintenance (probably). I think if you managed it yourself it could have been cash positive the first year with nothing down. We had one offer that would have had the buyers walk away from settlement with 10k in cash. Needless to say the offer was a bit weak with the house having to appraise higher than the sales price.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would not give any advice on whether real estate or other investments are better for the future. If we are getting this deep you have to take into account the increased leverage you can have with real estate. I wanted to get rid of our 2nd home for peace of mind reasons. The smart buyer was going to rent it. If you believe zillow you could have mortgaged the entire thing and rented for about a 300 dollar per month profit. This was 3 months ago with mortgage rates at that time. This would have covered maintenance (probably). I think if you managed it yourself it could have been cash positive the first year with nothing down. We had one offer that would have had the buyers walk away from settlement with 10k in cash. Needless to say the offer was a bit weak with the house having to appraise higher than the sales price.

I'm most familiar with second homes and vacation rentals in SW Florida. Things may be different in other areas but here we have a 4 month season. Most vacation rentals sit vacant the rest of the year. It's all good however because rental rates are such that you can cover the years expenses with 4 months of rent. The problem comes when an owner wants to use it themselves during the season

But your point is a good one, if I understand it right. You can make good money buying and renting vacation homes. Especially if you do your own management and maintenance. Heck, Im the guy that argues the merits of renting timeshares for fun and profit.

It's just that many of us aren't looking for another job. Or even a great investment. It's not so much the money it's the enjoyment. We are looking for a second home that we can enjoy and afford without a whole lot of work.

Timeshares do that for me

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm most familiar with second homes and vacation rentals in SW Florida. Things may be different in other areas but here we have a 4 month season. Most vacation rentals sit vacant the rest of the year. It's all good however because rental rates are such that you can cover the years expenses with 4 months of rent. The problem comes when an owner wants to use it themselves during the season

But your point is a good one, if I understand it right. You can make good money buying and renting vacation homes. Especially if you do your own management and maintenance. Heck, Im the guy that argues the merits of renting timeshares for fun and profit.

It's just that many of us aren't looking for another job. Or even a great investment. It's not so much the money it's the enjoyment. We are looking for a second home that we can enjoy and afford without a whole lot of work.

Timeshares do that for me

My particular case was a house in a resort area , but not on the beach. This is Southern Delaware where a large retirement community has grown up. Our neighborhood went from 60/40 seasonal/permanent occupancy to 10/90. The rental was for 12 months. I would love to see the numbers run in our area on obvious seasonal rental areas vs year round. My gut says the year round would do better. I base this on the fact that our house sold for 200,000 vs the million plus if you are even near the beach. Being off the beach our area is considered rural so qualifies for usda mortgage programs. Every offer was under this program with nothing (or even less) down. As you say the numbers fascinate me...the work does not.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kind of depends where you buy. A number of years ago I bought a condo in Hot Springs, AR for about $32,000 to use during the horse racing season (roughly Jan 15 - Apr 15). The rest of the year I turned it over to a RE Company who rented it out by the week for me. They managed everything for a fee of course but I ended up with a profit every year I had it. It worked so well I bought a second condo which I rented out year round the same way. Later I sold both for profits of about $5,000 each.

George

SkyBlueWaters

Reaction score
This is a picture of the leaking garbage disposal I just removed from under my kitchen sink. and Im on my way to Lowes to buy a replcement. I have no doubt that I will spend the best part of my afternoon installing the new one. Id be quicker except my 70 year old joints dont bend as well as they used to, and once I get most of me in the cabinet, under the sink, I cant easily get back out, and back on my feet)

Now this is my home, and not my second home, and I rebel paying skilled plumbers rates for doing want I know I can do myself, so I do it without too much complaining, but I cant help but remember my old next door neighbor (from New York) who spent so much of his vacation time doing maintenance on his Florida home; he always seemed to be busy with one project or another, instead of just enjoying another day in paradise

I have some personal experience with this. I also own a second home (a boat) The last time I was there my wife and I spent the first few days, cleaning 6 months of dust accumulation, not to mention the several days I spent sanding and varnishing the teak rails. I have a list of things to tackle on my next trip

Timeshares are different. The place is clean and everything works (most of the time) when I arrive. I can unpack my bags pour a glass of wine, and immediately start enjoying my time away from home.
Yup. Early in my timeshare ownership, I met another vacationer who owned a house in Clearwater. Intrigued and interested at the idea of owning there, she strongly advised me against it even though she owned free and clear and with a longterm lessee. The headache of maintenance when you can live in resort conditions for just about the same amount of money.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yup. Early in my timeshare ownership, I met another vacationer who owned a house in Clearwater. Intrigued and interested at the idea of owning there, she strongly advised me against it even though she owned free and clear and with a longterm lessee. The headache of maintenance when you can live in resort conditions for just about the same amount of money.

I don't think we could handle a second home if it were not in a community which has certain conditions like year around yard maintenance and resort like amenities. It would be a big headache.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
I'd like to do that this summer. Do I need a hangar?

Depends on the airplane:cool:

Some can be built in a garage in 500-1000 hours. Some take years and require a hangar to complete. For more info, check the Experimental Aircraft Association web site, www.eaa.org.

Cheers

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
We are considering purchasing a vacation home. Well, not really considering, rather we're considering whether we should plan for buying one or not. Our main reason is that we would be able to bring the pets which means we would stay longer.

The other reason we have considered (but not acted on it) buying a vacation home or an RV rather than using timeshares is because some of the places we want to go don't have timeshares.

Edit to add: there's no rule against having both a vacation home AND timeshares. If we did buy a vacation home we would likely keep our timeshares and might even buy more. Of particular interest would be timeshares located near the vacation home with day use privileges.

Last edited:

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
This is a picture of the leaking garbage disposal I just removed from under my kitchen sink. and Im on my way to Lowes to buy a replcement. I have no doubt that I will spend the best part of my afternoon installing the new one. Id be quicker except my 70 year old joints dont bend as well as they used to, and once I get most of me in the cabinet, under the sink, I cant easily get back out, and back on my feet)

Now this is my home, and not my second home, and I rebel paying skilled plumbers rates for doing want I know I can do myself, so I do it without too much complaining, but I cant help but remember my old next door neighbor (from New York) who spent so much of his vacation time doing maintenance on his Florida home; he always seemed to be busy with one project or another, instead of just enjoying another day in paradise

I have some personal experience with this. I also own a second home (a boat) The last time I was there my wife and I spent the first few days, cleaning 6 months of dust accumulation, not to mention the several days I spent sanding and varnishing the teak rails. I have a list of things to tackle on my next trip

Timeshares are different. The place is clean and everything works (most of the time) when I arrive. I can unpack my bags pour a glass of wine, and immediately start enjoying my time away from home.

I agree, Ron. I retired last summer, sold the big old house and now spend 8 months in Fla ( no state income tax) in a condo and summers on the beach in Delaware. After renting these 2 condos for years, I started buying timeshares and accumulated nine of them. What I learned is this: it is very hard to make money renting a seasonal vacation home. I was able to cover taxes and condo fees but never the mortgage. I could never make enough money renting Delaware 3 months a year or Florida 6 months a year. If I rented all the timeshares, I could clear $20,000/year because I don't have to deal with the off-season.

People are always complaining that they can't sell their timeshares for what they paid for them. Vacation properties of all kinds are a luxury purchase. If the economy is booming, the vacation market booms, but as soon as the economy cools down, the prices sink like a stone.
In a perfect world, buy when the economy is sucking wind and sell during boom times and you should be in good shape. It is no different with timeshares. I don't regret the purchases because I'm using them now in retirement the way I had always planned. Still, for me the timeshares have been a much better investment.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
For a long time I have thought about purchasing a 2nd home in the White Mountains of NH. The area is like a second home to me and I love there. BUT.....I also know that if I made that investment I would feel like I had to spend my time there. Our traveling to other areas would diminish because of the guilt of spending $xx on a place we are not at.

I have thought a lot about retirement and what it will look like. This huge house we will in will get sold. DH wants to be a snowbird to a set location in FL. I'm not sure if I am ready for that....but I certainly could see us being "home" here in New England with some sort of condo and then spend the winter months timesharing to wherever.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
... BUT.....I also know that if I made that investment I would feel like I had to spend my time there. Our traveling to other areas would diminish because of the guilt of spending $xx on a place we are not at.

Above statements also apply to us. Years ago, my FIL considered building a cabin in the mountains for the family to use, but he eventually came to the conclusion it would take too much extra upkeep and would tie the family to using it because he'd already invested in it.

Fast forward to today and one BIL & SIL have purchased such a place and guess what? They are trekking up there every weekend in nice weather and are basically tied to a second home, maintenance issues & all.

I like feeling free to go anywhere and neither of us want to maintain a second home. Timeshares are better for us, along with our RV, for moving around.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree a cabin in the woods would tie you down with maintenance issues. We were so lucky to find a community with outside maintenance provided on freestanding homes. Security is also an issue.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
When my husband got downsized from his job back in Pennsylvania in 2010 at the age of 61 he wasn't ready to retire. He turns 68 later this year and will finally be retiring or at least semi retiring at that time! Anyhow I urged him to look for a job in Florida as we wanted to get away from the winters up North and he easily found one. While we were house hunting and waiting for our house to close he lived out of the timeshares, Wyndham Palm-Aire and Sea Gardens for 4 months, the first week of December through the first week of April. We certainly considered owning the timeshare a blessing.

I had very fixed ideas about the type of home I wanted to buy here in Florida; I wanted something that would work for us in retirement and as we aged.

1. I wanted everything on one level. We have what is considered a patio home. We live on the canal side of the plan which I love and the other side of our plan is bordered by a golf course. We have screened lanais/patios front and back and a one car attached garage.
2. I wanted 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a den/office. In our plan most of the homes are 2 bedroom/2 bath and their living room and back screened lanai is larger than ours, same footprint, but we have a den/3rd bedroom layout. The second bedroom, bath and den are all in the front of the house giving nice separation. I wanted that den/3rd bedroom layout not just for my husband's office but also so our son and DIL wouldn't have to share a bedroom with their 2 small daughters when they come to visit. However my biggest reason for wanting that den/3rd bedroom is that when we age if we need someone to live in and help with our care they will have their own bedroom, bathroom, and the den to use as their living room. In the meantime should we have visitors come for several months in the winter once my husband retires they will have their own space. Same thing if something happened to one of us and the other would like to share the home with another person to share/split the living expenses.
3. The doorways to the bathrooms had to be big enough to get a wheelchair or walker through. Also at least one of the bathrooms had to be big enough to easily accommodate a wheelchair or walker and a second person to assist. Not a concern at this time but I was thinking ahead and none of us knows what the future has in store for us.
4. I wanted a good community with mostly year round residents and lower homeowners association fees. Most housing plans here in Florida have homeowners associations and when we were house hunting the realtors taught us how important it is to have a good strong homeowners association. Many people may be like us with no prior experience of homeowners associations or bad impressions of them. After living in this part of Florida for 6 years I cannot stress enough about how important it is to have a good strong homeowners association. My husband has been a board member on ours for several years now and they run things instead of employing a management company which makes a big difference in the homeowners fees. We have had one increase of $5 per month in the six years we have lived here. The $155 a month covers the very nice pool and clubhouse, tennis courts, yard work, landscaping throughout the community, exterior painting, driveway care, basic cable, sprinkler system maintenance, pest/insect treatment and several socials a year.
5. Location, location, location. I wanted a safe, quiet community in a convenient location. We are far enough away from major/busy streets, the interstate and turnpike to keep the road noise down. There is only one way in and out of our plan so no thru traffic. Within a half a mile to a mile we can walk or ride a bike to a Publix grocery store, a Walgreen's drug store, the Library, our city's community center and pool with a little waterpark, gas stations, some restaurants, various stores, two Churches, a Synagogue, and a Buddhist temple. Within 1.5-2 miles is a Sun Trust bank, a Super Target, a CVS, Winn Dixie grocery store, a Walmart neighborhood market, Aldi's, a movie theater and more stores and restaurants. Another big thing is our distance to the airport, 20-25 minutes depending on traffic. We are 5 minutes from the Sawgrass Expressway and 7-10 minutes from the turnpike. We are about half a mile from Challenger Elementary and Millennium Middle School which are considered the best in the Broward County School system and also where we go to vote. If we had to or wanted to we could live here and not drive.
6. Mature trees. Developers in Florida often typically level everything and many plans look very barren or stark. The Florida sun can be brutal so not only do mature trees make the appearance of a plan so much nicer they provide shade which also helps with the air conditioning and electric bill.
7. Resale value. Location of course. Low homeowners fees. Multi ages in our plan of 146 homes. Over 55 communities don't have the ease of resale nor the value that multi age communities do.
8. Low maintenance/responsibility When my husband retires we want to travel several months at a time with our timeshares. The homeowners association takes care of all the outside work and these homes are very low maintenance. So before we leave all we have to do is make sure there is nothing that will spoil in the refrigerator, turn off the water, turn up the AC, pull the hurricane shutters, take out the trash, make arrangements for our mail and ask the neighbors on either side to keep an eye on things. An hour tops if we don't stand around talking to the neighbors for too long!

Our section of the coastline, Miami to West Palm Beach almost always has a nice breeze even if you live inland like we do, about 12 miles. This keeps the warmer months temperature and humidity lower than you expect for Florida. The way the gulf stream runs along this section of the coastline gives us the nice steady breeze that other coastal areas don't have. Our son and his family came down over the 4th of July one year and it was less hot and humid here than in the Cleveland, Ohio area where he lives! In August and September if that breeze dies it quickly gets as hot and humid as most people think of Florida as being. When you live inland, in any part of Florida, more towards the center of the State and away from the coast, the temperature is about 15 degrees higher and the humidity much is higher too in the warmer months.

Our part of Florida has high homeowners insurance rates due to the hurricanes. The last big one to hit this area was Wilma in 2005. I guess the insurance companies are still recovering their losses. Our 2016 property taxes were $2142 but our homeowner insurance was $3104. Flood insurance is not included in that and was another $430. The flood zones were re-evaluated about a year ago and we are no longer in a flood zone so could drop the flood insurance. After the first year here we put in all new Miami-Dade hurricane rated windows and doors and that brought our homeowners insurance down or it would be higher. For each major road, I-95, the turnpike, that you live west of your rates drop considerably. We live just beyond the turnpike so we live in the lowest rate area. When we drive past the big beautiful houses on the beach or even within a mile or two of the beach we always say "Can you even imagine what they are paying in homeowners insurance!" If people you know say they don't pay nearly as much as we do it is because they have lived here longer. As a new resident/insured you will not get that rate! There are people in our plan that pay literally half of what we do but they have lived here for 30 years since the plan was built. Another thing we didn't know was that the insurance companies here in this part of Florida seem to typically raise your rates quite a bit after the first year. We got mad when that happened to us and switched companies. Same thing happened with the new company.

As much as I would love to live with a view of the ocean I confess to being a weenie and so we live a little inland for that reason too not just for the better homeowners insurance rates. I am more than willing to drive 15-20 minutes to the beach to feel safer and not be worrying about hurricanes. From what I know condos don't pay nearly as much for insurance as we do, even those on or close to the beach, but we weren't interested in a condo.

The property values, in this section of Florida, have recovered a lot since we bought at their lowest point in 2011 but they still aren't back up to what they were so decent deals can still be found. Our plan is called The Landings on Cypress Greens in Tamarac, Florida if anyone wants to Google Earth us or look up homes for sale. If anyone is really interested you can pm me and I can put you in touch with the board member who can give you information about homes for sale or rent in our plan. She would know about homes available for sale or rent before they go on the market. Some people like to rent for a year or season or two before they commit to buying to see if they will like it or like the area and that can be an excellent idea.

Many people contemplate or actually do move to Florida after retirement or at least winter here. And other places too. Hopefully this provides some helpful information for anyone considering the next chapter in their lives.

Last edited:

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
The home we have lived in for the last 30 years here in Texas will be our retirement home, we have way too much family/friends to even consider leaving for long periods of time. We are new to timesharing, but are extremely happy so far with what we have been able to achieve with our Wyndham CWA points, the versatility, the amount of weeks and variability of locations open to us. The ability to travel with family and friends to such diverse locations and stay in 2-3 BR units, i.e. together, but be home a lot too.

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
After spending 22 years in Houston we were anxious to get back north. We bought 40 acres in Clark Fork Id. First put an RV on. Then was fortunate to find a job in eastern Washington. Downsized from 2700 sq feet to 1200 with a large shop on 7.5 acres in Deer Park Wa..

Started building a cabin on the 40 acres. The kids love it and we will put the 40 acres and cabin in trust for the kids.

Went from a high of 26 weeks of timeshare down to shell points, a week at Island park and a week in colorado. I get a couple weeks in Hawaii and am a 2 hour drive from the cabin....I am seriously thinking about giving my shell points back through their ovation program and just keep the 2 weeks that I exchange through the small companies.....Also gave up RCI and have interval through shell but don't use it.

I find I am happy just going to the cabin, hawaii and yellowstone. I don't really have the desire to travel I did 20 years ago and I enjoy going places I am familiar with.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
After spending 22 years in Houston we were anxious to get back north. We bought 40 acres in Clark Fork Id. First put an RV on. Then was fortunate to find a job in eastern Washington. Downsized from 2700 sq feet to 1200 with a large shop on 7.5 acres in Deer Park Wa..

Started building a cabin on the 40 acres. The kids love it and we will put the 40 acres and cabin in trust for the kids.

Went from a high of 26 weeks of timeshare down to shell points, a week at Island park and a week in colorado. I get a couple weeks in Hawaii and am a 2 hour drive from the cabin....I am seriously thinking about giving my shell points back through their ovation program and just keep the 2 weeks that I exchange through the small companies.....Also gave up RCI and have interval through shell but don't use it.

I find I am happy just going to the cabin, hawaii and yellowstone. I don't really have the desire to travel I did 20 years ago and I enjoy going places I am familiar with.

This is really great, congratulations!! My wife is from Casper, Wyoming, we moved back to Houston (all my family is here)in 1986. One Son in Law with 3 grandkids (will be 5 in June) is from Butte, Montana. So we spend last week in June through first week in August in Wyoming, Montana, and Colorado. The timeshares have opened up Florida, San Antonio, New Orleans, and other diverse trips (hopefully Hawaii soon!) for 4-5 day trips (2 weeks in Hawaii!!) with friends/family in multi room units vs hotel rooms. I completely understand the two destinations you have chosen, Hawaii and Yellowstone! Glacier/Whitefish/Kallispell/Bigfork is close and gorgeous as well..

Last edited:

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jan m. It sounds like we were looking for the same things when we looked for a home. I remember a real estate agent trying to convince us that we didn't need a den and a two car garage. A good community, a strong hoa, and outside maintenance and proximity to shopping beach etc

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We really like western Montana as well. Our cabin is just a few miles from the border and very close to Lake Pend Oreille.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had very fixed ideas about the type of home I wanted to buy here in Florida; I wanted something that would work for us in retirement and as we aged.

IMO, very smart decisions--all on one floor, wide doors, etc.

We elected a one-story floor plan when we built our current house ~24 years ago. Not so much because we were looking to our future aging lifestyles, but I knew even then I didn't want to haul up and down stairs all the time, though I was lighter and in better shape then.
Now, it's definitely a 'Whew!' factor as we both realize we'll probably remain here for our retirement home.

Snowbird22

TUG Member
Reaction score
We did the timesharing thing for years and had great value out of the used timeshares we bought. We recently purchased an inexpensive 2 bedroom condo in Puerto Vallarta. We love having a fully equipped kitchen, great TV's with satellite, consistent wifi, all of our clothes and our golf clubs ready for us when we arrive.. We get on the plane with carry on only. It has been a great transition for us but no regrets on all the timesharing we did.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
We did the timesharing thing for years and had great value out of the used timeshares we bought. We recently purchased an inexpensive 2 bedroom condo in Puerto Vallarta. We love having a fully equipped kitchen, great TV's with satellite, consistent wifi, all of our clothes and our golf clubs ready for us when we arrive.. We get on the plane with carry on only. It has been a great transition for us but no regrets on all the timesharing we did.

Do you rent the condo out when you aren't there--or are you spending a great deal of time there? Sounds interesting!

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Smugglers Notch Vt
This post really hits home as I am pretty good of evaluating opportunities. I purchased a new ts the other day from a resort where we purchased 15 yrs ago. Fortunately thru my due diligence, I came across TUG after I signed. I actually had a few hour convo with a friend who use to work from where I purchased. Needless to say with many animated suggestions from Tuggers, I cancelled while at the resort.

I have continued to consume all these posts on tug and am planning on a whole different, new strategy. Boy has this been enlightening. As a past owner of a shore home, a boat, a race car, and a camper, I now look at my retirement allot different. I'm 52 and a serial entrepreneur working a few start-ups, with little to no income presently. Needless to say I have a new appreciation for the TS industry. I was thinking I may obtain 5-10 units in great locations and rent out most of them to produce some cash flow. Now I don't plan on being a megarenter, but I am entrepreneurial with my dna.

Now cash flow is subject to ones opinion. I would set low expectations of say 25-50K a year, then build to where we could travel pretty much full time via TS when I retire in the next decade. are these reasonable expectations? I love having my money working for me with a low overhead.