• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Why so difficult to book OFC at WKORV?

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes - because if you do a search before your "real search," the first search has to be "backed out" before you do a new search. You would not be aware of this - it would just be slower.
"backed out" meaning reset by the person searching...reset meaning picking new dates?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The system has to back out your previous search, before it submits the new search, causing a slight delay.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
The system has to back out your previous search, before it submits the new search, causing a slight delay.
Got it, thanks.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Something else I've seen is availability coming back because people change their minds after about 5 minutes when they have to actually to make the reservation. I always check at 12:05 EST.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I own a floating OF center unit and a week 51 OF corner unit at WKORV. I realize that there are only 12 OF center vs 24 OFC units. However, for the last two weeks I have tried to book the Center unit for June weeks in 2018 (including exactly at 9 pm PT 366 days before checkin), but can't get anything. When I call, I am told no center units are available from next February to June. However, the webpage (every time I search, including today) does give me the option of swapping my week 51 to get an OFC unit (2 be, 1br, or studio) in June. I am not about to do that bc of relative values.

Can someone think of why this should be? If it is truly just supply and demand, why are OF corner still available? Why are literally no OF center available from February to June?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts, experience, and tips.

On another note... in strict terms - there is one owner per week per villa-type - 100% accounted for when you include what's is owned by VSE/VSN (held for sales or rentals, etc). This is true for all villa types - they are not oversold per deed type.

If everyone uses their VOI - then there is only one slot per villa-type/week. Remember - each VOI is accounted for deed-wise.

When there are many villa owners per type - reservation openings are more flexible (for a multitude of reasons). When limited numbers for availability of premium villas like OFC/OFD, then less relative flexibility in reservation times due to more usage of these premium villas (not everyone gets premium weeks on floors 5-6 - so to speak).
Remember that many of these OFC/OFD were bought as Premier/Fixed weeks.

You are also competing with Ultra-Premium Owners (or whatever they are called - it is in CCRs/Owners Manual for WKORV - discussed previously).

Also- the big unknown - how many of these Primo weeks are being held by VSE for the ones they own (~10% a while back)

Anyway... we have no issue as OFD Owners over 10 years of making reservations EXACTLY at 12 months - not high season for most part. Then again OFD is easier than OFC - and have honor to have the most unbalanced MF/sqft relative to WKORV types by far.

Be fast my friend...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tborr123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Update...after logging on the Vistana site daily (sometimes more than once) for the last two weeks, I found a one br and a studio (not lockout) OFC for the week I wanted. I requested that they be joined but won't know until checkin. Anyone have thoughts on how likely that can happen?

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does the reservation actually say OFC or Ocean Front which could be OFD? Just curious.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Does the reservation actually say OFC or Ocean Front which could be OFD? Just curious.

My next reservation for our OFC unit says "Oceanfront 2 Bedroom Lockoff Villa".

I assume an OFD would have the word "deluxe" somewhere in the description.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
My next reservation for our OFC unit says "Oceanfront 2 Bedroom Lockoff Villa".

I assume an OFD would have the word "deluxe" somewhere in the description.
Do you know if a SO reservation would specify or would it just say OF?

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Do you know if a SO reservation would specify or would it just say OF?

I don't know. Nor do I know whether Vistana could/would switch a SO reservation between these categories (we know that Marriott doesn't guarantee the view category shown on an Interval exchange reservation). I know that I would be disappointed if I were to reserve what I thought was an OFC studio and was assigned an OFD studio (which isn't really OF as it doesn't directly face the ocean).

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would too. I don't own any of those but if I did and had a Home Resort resie I would.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
I would too. I don't own any of those but if I did and had a Home Resort resie I would.

I don't think this would happen on a home resort reservation (and it has never happened to us in the nine years we have owned WKORV-OFC). But you raise an interesting question about SO reservations.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think this would happen on a home resort reservation (and it has never happened to us in the nine years we have owned WKORV-OFC). But you raise an interesting question about SO reservations.
I think it's a valid concern, at least from my perspective. As someone who would need to pay extra SOs for the unit, I would like to know I am getting the C over the D studio and have a guarantee (other than unforeseen circumstances because of maintenance issues with proper return of SOs). Otherwise, I may roll the dice with a potential upgrade.

However, you are in HI after all. Any view (but parking lot view) would do.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I don't know. Nor do I know whether Vistana could/would switch a SO reservation between these categories (we know that Marriott doesn't guarantee the view category shown on an Interval exchange reservation). I know that I would be disappointed if I were to reserve what I thought was an OFC studio and was assigned an OFD studio (which isn't really OF as it doesn't directly face the ocean).
I think it's a valid concern, at least from my perspective. As someone who would need to pay extra SOs for the unit, I would like to know I am getting the C over the D studio and have a guarantee (other than unforeseen circumstances because of maintenance issues with proper return of SOs). Otherwise, I may roll the dice with a potential upgrade.

However, you are in HI after all. Any view (but parking lot view) would do.
Aren't you really just paying extra SOs for an Ocean Front unit? I don't see anything on the SO chart that distinguishes and OF-Center from and Ocean Front Deluxe. You either book an OF 2BR-LO or not. How would you otherqise know what you are booking. Is the occupancy or square footage different?

Also, I am a little confused by the terminology being use. OFC could mean Ocean Front Center OR Ocean Front Corner. Is Corner the same as deluxe?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
With ALL Ocean Front reservations they specify the type of unit on the villa finder and the confirmation - both home resort reservations, and Staroption reservations:

"Oceanfront Deluxe 2 Bedroom Lockoff Villa" = corner

"Oceanfront 2 Bedroom Lockoff Villa" = center

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
The OFD reservation states 'Oceanfront Deluxe Premium Villa'

While I have never seen an OFC reservation- assume it just states OF Premium Villa (w/o the word 'Deluxe')

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It doesn't say Premium, on the 2 bedrooms, but it does on the studios and one bedrooms:

Oceanfront Studio Premium Villa

Oceanfront 1 Bedroom Premium Villa

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
It doesn't say Premium, on the 2 bedrooms, but it does on the studios and one bedrooms:

Oceanfront Studio Premium Villa

Oceanfront 1 Bedroom Premium Villa

I left out #Bd - so add 'Deluxe' for those OFD (corner) villas.
I used both sides (2Bd LO OFD) in 2015 - it listed "Oceanfront Deluxe 2 Bedroom Lockout Villa"
{'Premium' not listed}

Not sure if still true - but the SVO site had the OFD listed differently (than confirmation) on their website, and OFD text did not match between Layout and Description. I emailed SC at SVN regarding the mismatch (2013?)

Added:
I just checked online.
There is availability for 1Bd OFD for July4 week (2018) for both Saturday and Sunday checkin - this HomeResort period opened a few days ago. Surprised still available. Is OFC?
I didn't reserve - we use our 1Bd OFD in Sept. Have already rented the 2018 OFD studio (Prez week).

Also - online the 1Bd OFD is listed as:
"Villa Type: 1 Bedroom Premium Villa | Oceanfront Deluxe | Platinum+"

Last edited:

JoJo12

TUG Member
Reaction score
New potential purchaser trying to decide between WKORV and MOC new towers. I see the premium cost for center units at WKROV on Redweek (looking at details, not just the list). However, it seems from this thread that someone who pays a premium for center may in fact not be able to actually get it for prime months such as summer? Especially if you miss that 9am time. Is there a reason someone would take that chance?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
New potential purchaser trying to decide between WKORV and MOC new towers. I see the premium cost for center units at WKROV on Redweek (looking at details, not just the list). However, it seems from this thread that someone who pays a premium for center may in fact not be able to actually get it for prime months such as summer? Especially if you miss that 9am time. Is there a reason someone would take that chance?

Yes.
Regardless of impressions - all VOIs have the same percentage of Owners (100%) whether 12 (OFC), 24 (OFD) or >100 (other view types. If you are trying at 9am (EST) - you are trying too late... online is at midnite (EST).

As there is only one VOI for each Owner, and that in turn means that not everyone is going to get high season weeks (except those that paid premium to fix those weeks)
High demand weeks are tough.
OFC is likely tougher because more OFC Owners will use/rent weeks than exchange out.
If you plan to use during high-season then it can be tough - shoulder/low seasons are easier.

JoJo12

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Do you also need to be online at midnight, (or shortly after) to get a corner unit deluxe OF in summer if that is the unit type you bought?

kobidobi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes.
Regardless of impressions - all VOIs have the same percentage of Owners (100%) whether 12 (OFC), 24 (OFD) or >100 (other view types. If you are trying at 9am (EST) - you are trying too late... online is at midnite (EST).

As there is only one VOI for each Owner, and that in turn means that not everyone is going to get high season weeks (except those that paid premium to fix those weeks)
High demand weeks are tough.
OFC is likely tougher because more OFC Owners will use/rent weeks than exchange out.
If you plan to use during high-season then it can be tough - shoulder/low seasons are easier.

We just bought an OFC unit this summer and although I was worried about the ability to book due to the small number of units, we had no trouble getting our desired late July date. We wanted a Sunday check-in, but started with the Saturday and then cancelled it the next day when we saw that there was availability for the Sunday. However, we didn't take any chances and I was online at 9PM PDT both nights to make the reservation.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Thanks. Do you also need to be online at midnight, (or shortly after) to get a corner unit deluxe OF in summer if that is the unit type you bought?

We own OFC and I avoid the risk of not getting a reservation by going online when reservations open. Further, the best units (highest floors, generally) go to the reservations with the earliest timestamp. This adds to the unhealthy competition.

A few WKORV-OF units were sold as fixed/fixed. Not many, but I have seen them resale. (Also a few good OV units -- ones next to the OF units -- were sold as fixed/fixed). I would work with a broker if I wanted to locate one.

aus

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali, KOR North, Cancun
We just bought an OFC unit this summer and although I was worried about the ability to book due to the small number of units, we had no trouble getting our desired late July date. We wanted a Sunday check-in, but started with the Saturday and then cancelled it the next day when we saw that there was availability for the Sunday. However, we didn't take any chances and I was online at 9PM PDT both nights to make the reservation.

Did you have to cancel the Saturday reservation before booking the Sunday? If so, how could you be sure to get it on Sunday?
Thanks

aus

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali, KOR North, Cancun
Has anyone tried two browsers open at the same time? Say you use Safari for test search and Chrome for real search.

I've tried on 2 computers because we have 2 units we wanted to get at the same time, but it know's another computer is logged in and wouldn't let use book both at the same time.