• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Would you purchase?

kbgann

Reaction score
I posted this on the main buying/selling board but thought it might be better suited over here.

I am looking to buy my first timeshare and wanted to get some opinions on a proposed purchase. I'm a Hilton guy so looking to go with an HGVC timeshare. I have my eyes on a 9,600 point (annual platinum) timeshare for $11,000. The MFs were quoted around $1,150. Any thoughts on whether this would be a good purchase?

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
That's a nice amount of points. You can do a lot with that.

Welcome aboard.

kbgann

Reaction score
We generally try to take at least two vacations a year and with our kiddos getting older, will definitely be looking to get at least a two bedroom each time. 9,600 will give us a lot of flexibility with our stays (and the MFs are very reasonable).

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Which property would you be purchasing? $1/point has been cited as a good aaproximation of market price so you may be a little high but if MFs are in line, thats the more important barometer. Let us know and thx!

Best,

Greg

kbgann

Reaction score
Which property would you be purchasing? $1/point has been cited as a good aaproximation of market price so you may be a little high but if MFs are in line, thats the more important barometer. Let us know and thx!

Best,

Greg

The deed would be at Anderson in Myrtle Beach, but I'm not sure we'd ever really stay there. I was really trying to stay near $1/pt, but I think the low MFs offset the slight premium in price (at least that's what I'm telling myself).

Reaction score
I have my eyes on a 9,600 point (annual platinum) timeshare for $11,000. The MFs were quoted around $1,150. Any thoughts on whether this would be a good purchase?

I personally think is it a great buy as your buy cost is $1.15pp and your annual dues is 0.12pp and that is a good combination of the two.

I am not too sure if that can easily be beat as the lower your buy-in cost is, then the higher the annual dues usually are, and visa versa. Some people buy for 0.75pp but dues are 0.21pp and some buy 2.0pp and have 0.11 dues

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I have my eyes on a 9,600 point (annual platinum) timeshare for $11,000. The MFs were quoted around $1,150. Any thoughts on whether this would be a good purchase?

You may want to double check the MFs (they might be missing the taxes) that was listed. It looks to me that you would be purchasing a 3-Br at:

Anderson Ocean Club 3 BR Premier Platinum
Operating: $942.66
Reserve: $209.89
Taxes: $94.53
TOTAL: $1247.03, 3.5% increase from last year.

This would still only put the MF/point ratio at 0.13. I would still say that that looks like a very good purchase to me anyway.

kbgann

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your input. I've decided to make an offer of $9,000 on 8,400 points at the same resort. The MFs are $1,075 which is right under 0.13 MF/point but the $1.07pp is a little better. I will let y'all know how it turns out (assuming it passes ROFR).

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
That sounds great. If you any 2017 points are available/part of the deal, then this will make it even sweeter.

Sounds like you will then be purchasing 2 Bd plus - Platinum season. Once you do get the official MFs for this unit, can you post them in the Sticky for 2017 HGVC MFs? Right now we only have the MFs listed for then 3 Bd listed for Anderson Ocean Club.

We have actually stayed several times at AOC. Last year we stayed at Ocean 22 for the first time. This year we have however switched to Ocean Oaks in Hilton Head.

Last edited:

onenotesamba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sea World, HGVC Boulevard/Strip
I think it's a pretty good deal. I've got two 4800 point 1BR plat units--one at Vegas Blvd, and one at Sea World. My membership fees are slightly higher than that, but my (resale) buy-in price was lower--about $5500 for the two properties, combined. I think it all depends on how long you keep the unit. If you could find 9600 or 8400 in Vegas at a low MF property, and if you could buy that for $1 a point, and if it passed ROFR, you'd probably have found a golden unicorn.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your input. I've decided to make an offer of $9,000 on 8,400 points at the same resort. The MFs are $1,075 which is right under 0.13 MF/point but the $1.07pp is a little better. I will let y'all know how it turns out (assuming it passes ROFR).

If I could do that, that would be a good deal, IMO. I think 3 or 4 years ago I ended up paying 12k for my 7k Las Vegas unit and the MF are like $900/year.

kbgann

Reaction score
Hey guys, just wanted to give y'all an update. My offer of $9,000 was accepted on the 8,400 points at Anderson Ocean Club. 2017 MFs are $1,075 (I was given the option to reimburse them and get the 2017 points). Still waiting to get the ROFR signed off on, but the broker I'm working with doesn't think it will be an issue.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Hey guys, just wanted to give y'all an update. My offer of $9,000 was accepted on the 8,400 points at Anderson Ocean Club. 2017 MFs are $1,075 (I was given the option to reimburse them and get the 2017 points). Still waiting to get the ROFR signed off on, but the broker I'm working with doesn't think it will be an issue.
Congrats -- thats a nice purchase -- please keep us apprised of ROFR progress!

Best,

Greg

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score

Hope it passes, ROFR. I'm jealous. LOL. I could've picked up two of those, and have more points than now and less MF. Of course, I got mine resale years ago, so the price/point was higher back then. I wonder if we charted the trend, how far down do we think it would go? I think like 7 years ago, $2/point was good for passing ROFR.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't speak about Hilton, but I can speak about Wyndham. I wouldn't put anything past Wyndham these days so stay away. The latest way they are screwing the owners is by cramming a dysfunctional website down our throats. The new website is dysfunctional by design. It skims off the choice availability with an algorithm design to screw the owners. They rent these reservations on their rental website, ExtraHolidays.com. Wyndham has gone downhill over the last few years, but when they launched the new owners website, they took away the owners ability to basically search for availability smoothly and seamless. What use to take a couple mouse clicks to search and book a reservation now can take up 20 or more mouse clicks, if you can even find availability. My advise, stay away from Wyndham. Go to the Wyndham section of TUG and you'll see the issues we have and the problems with Wyndham: http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/the-new-club-wyndham-website-general-discussion.256063/

Last edited:

kbgann

Reaction score
Just got word back today that we passed ROFR. Hopefully we will get the transaction closed here pretty quick.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Congratulations

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Once you do get the official MFs for this unit, can you post them in the Sticky for 2017 HGVC MFs?

btw, @artteachrm just posted the MFs for AOC 2 Br, but I will be looking to both of you posting all room sizes next year at AOC.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Just got word back today that we passed ROFR. Hopefully we will get the transaction closed here pretty quick.
Glad to hear it passed rofr. You got a good deal, enjoy!

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I wonder if we charted the trend, how far down do we think it would go?
It would be nice to have historical data to see what is happening to ROFR by Hilton. IMO, it looks like it is currently hovering around $1/pt for platinum season. I know that @GregT has a ROFR spreadsheet predictor/calculator for Marriott properties. I don't understand their system at all, but I don't think ours is that complicated. Once the group modifies the ROFR database for Hilton, we will be able to input our information into that db. That way, we will be able to better predict/monitor.