• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wyndham - Moving to OZ, keep or dump?

persia

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm moving back to Australia, most of our future travel will be in the area Australia, New Zealand, Indonesia, Vietnam, Thailand. Does it make sense to keep our Wyndham timeshares or is there a better alternative?

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
As most Wyndham accounts have RCI as there exchange company ... and you are moving to OZ .... I would initially vote to dump it.

Now, if you ONLY owned 154K-203K in points, I would look at the yearly costs and whether you will be travelling to the states every 2 or 3 years. By banking and borrowing points, with an RCI exchange or two ... you could have a "HOME" while visiting Disney, touring DC, shopping in Williamsburg, seeing TX.

If you own developer brought points, then you could get either Shell or Worldmark via Club Pass ... more options ... and you could go thru MORE than 203K in Wyndham points.

But if you NEVER plan on returning to the USA .... and you dump it ... you know where to find us timeshare addicts to rent Wyndham vacations for just about MFs.

comicbookman

TUG Member
Reaction score
As most Wyndham accounts have RCI as there exchange company ... and you are moving to OZ .... I would initially vote to dump it.

Now, if you ONLY owned 154K-203K in points, I would look at the yearly costs and whether you will be travelling to the states every 2 or 3 years. By banking and borrowing points, with an RCI exchange or two ... you could have a "HOME" while visiting Disney, touring DC, shopping in Williamsburg, seeing TX.

If you own developer brought points, then you could get either Shell or Worldmark via Club Pass ... more options ... and you could go thru MORE than 203K in Wyndham points.

But if you NEVER plan on returning to the USA .... and you dump it ... you know where to find us timeshare addicts to rent Wyndham vacations for just about MFs.

The Wyndham system does have 9 or 10 locations in Australia and New Zealand. They do not require RCI to use.

uscav8r

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The Wyndham system does have 9 or 10 locations in Australia and New Zealand. They do not require RCI to use.
OP is probably better off buying into the Wyndham Vacation Resorts Asia Pacific or Worldmark South Pacific Club systems. The availability of those resorts using a North American-based Wyndham ownership is pretty dismal.

Last edited:

uscav8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm moving back to Australia, most of our future travel will be in the area Australia, New Zealand, Indonesia, Vietnam, Thailand. Does it make sense to keep our Wyndham timeshares or is there a better alternative?
I envy you! Have fun down under!

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score

They are Worldmark South Pacific and that' s one group Wyndham has managed to block resale owners from reserving.

Wyndham Vacation Ownership won't get anything in Worldmark South Pacific

persia

Reaction score
It does appear there are more options in Worldmark South Pacific. Is there any difference between Worldmark South Pacific and Worldmark points that you buy on eBay? What about resale v developer?

uscav8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
It does appear there are more options in Worldmark South Pacific. Is there any difference between Worldmark South Pacific and Worldmark points that you buy on eBay? What about resale v developer?
WMSP is a completely different system (although it is very similar to WM "North America"), and you don't see many of those listings on eBay (the US variant). There are agreements to cross-pollenate a very limited number of units between WM and WMSP, but this is limited to developer credits (or to WM credits you owned prior to 2006, if any). You are best off if you buy in the native system, if that is where you will be living for the long term.

I suggest you check out the AU version of eBay or Craiglist (a WMSP listing follows):
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WordMark...56?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item1c43701814

There is also a Wyndham Asia Pacific system which shares the same website as WMSP, but it is hard to determine if they are two completely separate systems, or if buying into one gets you the other by default:
http://www.wyndhamap.com/wps/wcm/connect/Wyndham/home/About-Us/Our-Company

Last edited:

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
These are all Associate Resorts. Loosely translated, Associate Resort means "Don't expect to see much inventory." But, you can look for yourself to see what seems to be available, and for how much.

persia

Reaction score
As a follow up, I sold/gave away my Wyndham points, cleaned out RCI with reservations and moved to Sydney. Here I bought the equivalent amount of Worldmark by Wyndham South Pacific credits (resale) and moved on.

I've now had two holidays using timeshares, Wyndham Port Macquarie with Worldmark points and a 3 bedroom cottage at the Village Resort in also in Port Macquarie. Both were wonderful experiences. Although the initial cost of Wyndham AP credits was higher than Wyndham points the Worldmark levies are lower than the Wyndham maintenance fees, so it'll all work out over time. Some much is familiar, owner updates are called rebates here and just as obnoxious. As a side bonus the person I bought the credits from had 19K credits in RCI, which all came to me when I joined.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
persia ... thank you for the update. I personally love reading updates on a prior thread (and posted there). Glad you got into a system you mostly understood.

So, life is good! Enjoy!