• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGVC Intervention temptation

Remy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations Club on the Boulevard, Hyatt Residence Club Wild Oak Ranch
Is there an etiquette to intervening with some timeshare knowledge when sitting across from people in the lobby who are waiting for a "limo" to a resort because they are "upgrading" or "ready to buy" at a Hilton resort? How about a group on a shuttle chatting it up about their great deals and repeating incorrect "facts" from salespeople as they anxiously look forward to their trip to see the salespeople later in the week (evidently you can buy HGVC points when you run out)?

I was in the lounge listening to two different couples talking about their plans as they waited to get shipped off to Parc Soleil and desperately wanted to whisper "tugbbs.com... tugbbs.com" but thought it might be rude to interject since one couple had clearly already bought from the developer at full freight. Is it our place to be evangelists? Or, just let it happen and hope we pick up their purchase resale someday? If that's the case, I'm in the market for a LV property so keep quiet if you see people buying from the developer there.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I'd be sorely tempted to say: "I could not help overhearing. I'm an owner and I'm concerned that you may be confused about what is a fair price to pay or how the system works. The fact is that... But please do some research at these two websites (the deal will still be good tomorrow)."

... and hand them addresses for both (1) TUG with directions to the HGVC forum and (B) 2012 HGVC Members Guide with the "Rules" page numbers.

I recently did the same thing essentially at a non-HGVC resort for folks heading off to the sales presentation.

Last edited:

Remy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations Club on the Boulevard, Hyatt Residence Club Wild Oak Ranch
I'd be sorely tempted to say: "I could not help overhearing. I'm an owner and I'm concerned that you may be confused about what is a fair price to pay or how the system works. The fact is that... But please do some research at these two websites (the deal will still be good tomorrow)."

... and hand them addresses for both (1) TUG with directions to the HGVC forum and (B) 2012 HGVC Members Guide with the "Rules" page numbers.

I recently did the same thing essentially at a non-HGVC resort for folks heading off to the sales presentation.

Oh sweet. We totally need cards to hand out. MIB style.

If I were none the wiser I'd be as excited as they are. I just hesitated to intrude on their delusion (not that they're dumb or anything, just not aware of the options).

whatsburning

TUG Member
Reaction score
Personally, I would want someone knowledgeable to give me some tips while sitting in the limo or waiting for it, but I can see where people may not appreciate the "intervention".

Look at it this way, after those people buy from Hilton, they're going to find this site anyway, and then we'll hear the same ol' story... "I wish I knew of this site before we bought..."

itradehilton

TUG Member
Reaction score
If that's the case, I'm in the market for a LV property so keep quiet if you see people buying from the developer there.

LOL, I feel the same way about either a Valdoro or Bay Club in the future. Check Judy's website I just picked up a Flamingo at a great price form her.

We will but in and educate while sitting in the hot tub.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Personally, I would want someone knowledgeable to give me some tips while sitting in the limo or waiting for it, but I can see where people may not appreciate the "intervention".

Look at it this way, after those people buy from Hilton, they're going to find this site anyway, and then we'll hear the same ol' story... "I wish I knew of this site before we bought..."

You are correct. The irony.

toontoy

Reaction score
I did appreciate a member at the Lagoon tower coming to be after he saw me leave the sales center with all my new info and purchase docs. He was quite nice and asked where I bought and gave me info, later that day I checked liked he suggested and bought resale for 1/4 of the price and made me very happy. I wish I could have gone back and bought him and his wife dinner. He saved me alot of money and introduced me to the resale marked where we purchased #1 and #2 then even sold one and broke even.

I was very happy, I don't think in sales they were though LOL.

I think its how its done. I laughed once in a hot tub at the strip location I was talking with some fellow convention goers and they said they got a killer deal on this tour thing and since it gave them the stay and all the other things for their business stay and all that stuff, but what floored me was when they turned to me and said we just got a 2 bedroom platinum here for only 29K and that was 40% off already. I was floored as they thought it was a steal and I was like well its still about 20K too much (well 18ish).

I guess the motto is as they riscended later and the next day told me about it. It was kinda funny but I always think the Resale value is the true value for the property and Hilton knows it as that is the level they truely prop it up with ROFR.

I love the timeshare just glad i didn't spend too much

Remy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I did appreciate a member at the Lagoon tower coming to be after he saw me leave the sales center with all my new info and purchase docs. He was quite nice and asked where I bought and gave me info, later that day I checked liked he suggested and bought resale for 1/4 of the price and made me very happy. I wish I could have gone back and bought him and his wife dinner. He saved me alot of money and introduced me to the resale marked where we purchased #1 and #2 then even sold one and broke even.

I'm hoping to break even on a sale too and move into some LV units now that a bum knee has me boarding less and less. I think when you're in the resale game there are some transaction costs, but the prices are generally at a base in HGVC resales (exceptions apply).

I'm glad people are generally ok with the intervention. I sort of regret not saying something. After the folks in the van went on and on about how happy they were it seemed silly to tell them. It was too late for them, except maybe the trade-up costs. The ones in the lobby were none the wiser though and ready to go buy their first. They could have been helped. Next time I won't cave to the little voice saying "butt out".

Last edited:

Purseval

Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't say anything because A) it's none of my business, B)even if I made it my business they may not appreciate it. In fact they may be insulted by it. Finally, C) there isn't one person who bought resale unless someone else bought it at retail price first. We actually need people to buy at retail in order to keep Hilton healthy and provide us with a market.

Think about it. If everybody refused to buy a timeshare unless it was 90% off of retail Hilton wouldn't lower their prices and keep providing the same level of service. They would either shut down entirely or sell it to some Westgate wanabee that would make your bargain prices look like the stupidest purchase you ever made in your life.

I appreciate retail buyers and congratulate them on their purchases. If myself and an Elite member are waiting for service I will always respectfully defer to the Elite, because they've earned my respect. They support my lifestyle so I support them in return.

Finally I always keep in mind that even though my purchase seems like an incredible bargain and the product of my meticulous research into the resale market, there are thousand of people out there who think I'm a world-class chump for having anything at all to do with timeshare. Even if I didn't pay a penny they'd still think I'm a fool for saddling myself with a lifetime's worth of maintenance fees. So patting yourself on the back for your smart purchase is a relative thing.

Remy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If myself and an Elite member are waiting for service I will always respectfully defer to the Elite, because they've earned my respect.

I tend to respect people who recognize when they're being sold a bill of goods, exercise due diligence and control their impulses.

I understand your point, but don't we want more people to realize they've been robbed so the mental anguish will pressure them into a quick fire sale? If you congratulate them aren't you encouraging them to keep their timeshare? I want a flooded resale market so I can pick up some bargains. Maybe telling more people they've paid too much would be good for us. :whoopie:

rjp123

TUG Member
Reaction score
there are thousand of people out there who think I'm a world-class chump for having anything at all to do with timeshare.

Isn't this true! I'm almost embarrassed to tell people sometimes that I own a timeshare. Most know nothing about how good of a deal it can be if you use it properly.

So far I've had 1 week in Miami, 1 in Oahu and 1 in Vegas Flamingo. When I add up the savings versus hotels (mostly from Miami and Oahu) I've nearly already paid for my initial purchase. HGVC was one of my best buys to date!

I wish prices were like they were 2 years ago. If I know what I know now I would have bought 2 weeks! Hindsight is always 20/20.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
... there are thousand of people out there who think I'm a world-class chump for having anything at all to do with timeshares...

These people travel far less than TS owners, who might be described as professional travel freaks. To the unwashed masses, a luxury vacation means a 4* hotel room or cruise cabin, with at best, a AAA discount.

gnorth16

TUG Member
Reaction score
there are thousand of people out there who think I'm a world-class chump for having anything at all to do with timeshare. Even if I didn't pay a penny they'd still think I'm a fool for saddling myself with a lifetime's worth of maintenance fees. So patting yourself on the back for your smart purchase is a relative thing.

I have co-workers that say the same thing. Then I explain how I get a 2 or 3 BR for less than their Holiday Inn Express. They are the same people who wonder how I travel so much. I explain how renting half of a lock off and using the other half to exchange into Cancun, Orlando and Colorado for a couple hundred per week allows me to travel more for less money.

These people would rather let the travel company put a package together than spend some spare time "learning the ropes" of travelling with timeshares.