• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Hilton Head-Sunset Pointe

jules54

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thinking of buying a resale unit at this location. The correct location is Sunset Pointe .Maintence fees for the two-bedroom are about 785.00 is this correct?
What is going on at the resort that would keep me from buying?
TIA

Last edited:

Gussie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Which resort?

Harbour Point and Sunset Pointe are both near Shelter Cove, and although they share facilities they are different resorts with different associations and maintenance fees.

jules54

TUG Member
Reaction score
Gussie,
Sorry I tried to edit in time with the correct information of the resort being Sunset Pointe.
What is going on with Marriott and Hilton Head?

Gussie

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are owners and were just there over the 4th of July.
So far we have been very happy with the resort, and loved the location. It was relatively quiet and uncrowded; we never had a problem finding a lounge by the pool. We saw many families and people who returned year after year (mostly to Harbour Point, however, because it is fixed week/fixed unit).

Some people are speculating that Marriott is overbuilt on HHI and that Sunset Pointe is a candidate to drop off the Marriott list. I'm not betting on that either way.

Do be aware that Sunset Pointe is a different kind of experience than most Marriotts. The resort is small, the mini-mart is very mini also, and there are no real shops or restaurants on the premises. On the other hand everything you could want or need is minutes away.

Why are you buying? For trade or use?

Gussie

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have only traded once so far.
We own summer season, and exchanged a July week for the 1st week in April at the Royal Resorts in Cancun. I consider that a very good trade.

Gussie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's an update on trading:
We just confirmed into a 1 BR at Ko Olina for July 2008.
I'm really excited about the exchange; it's our first time to Hawaii!

RICHF14

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sunset Pointe

I am an owner at Sunset Pointe. I have found trading to be OK. I could not get into Newport Coast the last two years even though I put my request in 11 months in advance. I am trying for Ko Olina for June 2008. Will see what happens. I do like the fact that I get an AC each year.

Rich

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club
I have a request in for April 12 to 19, 2008 for Hilton Head using a MMC studio. It is an April school break week. My requested resorts are Grand Ocean, Barony Beach and Monarch.

II just called offering a Sunset Pointe unit for our studio. It will be our first visit to HH and really aren't married to needing to be at a beach front resort. We'd like to tour around a bit on bikes, perhaps play golf, tennis, and relax. Is Sunset Pointe a good alternative?

Thank you in advance.

davemy

TUG Member
Reaction score
You will not get the more popular marriotts in hilton head, with your lock off , unless youre in flex change. I did the same trade acouple years ago with my beachplace lockoff easter week and got a summer harbour pointe in july. It was our first trip to hilton head. We enjoyed watching the boats come in every night at the pool. I would rate it a seven out of ten. I think they have done a refurb since thou.

myip

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We were there in 4th of July. I like the resort and the walk along the harbour. The unit are all refurnished. You can watch the firework every Tuesday night (at least in the summer) from the resort.

pcgirl54

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
I own a HP unit that shares the same lot as SP. There are tennis courts for you to use at the resort. The pool is not large like the other three mentioned and it is not on the beach and not a mega resort. Units are smaller than the others and the second bedroom at HP has twin beds and SP may be the same. HP and SP units were recently redone. I recall a thread about SP having granite countertops now. It is private and has a cozier feel which I like.

It is on the cove and I find that very peaceful and relaxing. You are a 5 minute walk to the marina and that is nice. You are a five minute drive to the mall and shops,grocers and many places to eat and you are mid island. You get a beach pass to Palmetto Beach. There is a shuttle in the summer to take you there but I am unsure if it runs in April. The grounds are maintained,the staff is helpful and there are activities at the resort. There are bike rentals onsite and you can use the tunnel to get to the paths and the beach should you decide to bike it.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
It will be our first visit to HH and really aren't married to needing to be at a beach front resort. We'd like to tour around a bit on bikes, perhaps play golf, tennis, and relax. Is Sunset Pointe a good alternative?

For bike riding I prefer to be inside Sea Pines which means Monarch, Harbour Club or Heritage Club. My recollection is that there are two Trent Jones (?) golf courses right accross the main drag from Sunset Pointe. Just cross the road, go about a mile toward the Hyatt (?), turn left when you see a restaurant on your right (Alexander's ?) and the golf courses are straight ahead right at the entrance to the Village at Palmetto Dunes (an older second tier, but fine TimeShare,if you are not overly picky).

GEORGE

AMJ

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
jules54,

I purchased a week 26 at Harbour Point so I could reserve either a week before or after the 4th of July at Ocean Watch 13 months in advance. I traded my 2007 HP week for a July 2008 week at Newport Coast Villas. I am pleased with the trading power, and I would imagine that Sunset Pointe has the same exchange power.

Joyce

erm

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own a summer week at HP and a sport week at SP. Both trade very well. I have received bonus weeks for both units when I deposit with II. The maintence fees are among the lowest within the Marriott system. My only concern is what Marriott will do with these resorts when/if they develop an internal trading system.

maggie mae

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a request in for April 12 to 19, 2008 for Hilton Head using a MMC studio. It is an April school break week. My requested resorts are Grand Ocean, Barony Beach and Monarch.

II just called offering a Sunset Pointe unit for our studio. It will be our first visit to HH and really aren't married to needing to be at a beach front resort. We'd like to tour around a bit on bikes, perhaps play golf, tennis, and relax. Is Sunset Pointe a good alternative?

Thank you in advance.

I would say that based on what you would like to do, tour, ride bikes, play golf and tennis, that Sunset Pointe is definitely a good idea. April is nice at Hilton Head but not real beach season. If I'm not mistaken the PGA golf tour will be at Hilton Head that same week and I can tell you from first hand experience that Sea Pines will be very, very crowded with golf spectators. We have stayed at the neighboring Harbour Point before and it is very convenient to golf, tennis (right at the facility), restaurants and shopping. I'm not sure about the bike situation as we were not interested in riding bikes.

Tom M

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
Marriott Grande Ocean
Marriott Marbella Beach Club

formerly:
Marriott Sunset Pointe
We own two weeks at Sunset Pointe. They were our first two Marriott timeshares and we have enjoyed them very much.

A major advantage is its proximity to Sheltor Cove. Walking distance to many restaurants and ships in Shelter Cove as well as short drive to the many restaurants in the central part of HHI.

Short ride to the beach

Wonderful views of Broad Creek and its marshes. It is very aptly named "Sunset Pointe" -- wonderful sunsets.

Over the years we have gotten excellent trades en able to trade this for: Kaui, Palm Desert, Canyon Villas, Grand Ocean (several times)

http://www.pbase.com/tomm/sunsetpointe

(We are thinking of selling one of these weeks. It's a Silver)

Last edited: