Timeshare Users Group Forums

Timeshare Users Group Forums (http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index.php)
-   About the Rest of TUG (http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Top 10 Timeshare Questions! (new idea page) (http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76645)

TUGBrian July 16, 2008 03:30 PM

Top 10 Timeshare Questions! (new idea page)

So...how about it...lets cough up some ideas.

What are the top 10 timeshare questions you expect people would ask upon finding TUG.

I know that hands down the first one is "how do I sell my timeshare"...so we can mark that as number 1.

how to rent is likely in the top 10...but im not sure thats number 2.

so what say you...the "borg collective" of timeshare guruism! what do you all think are the top ten timeshare questions?

*edited to add the ideas below...in no particular order...we will vote later)

1. How do I sell my timeshare?
2. How do I rent my timeshare?
3. Should I convert my RCI Week to RCI Poiints?
4. Is RCI Points better than RCI Weeks?
5. I have [RCI/Wyndham/etc.] points that are about to expire. What should I do with them? Can they be extended?
6. I know resale timeshares are cheaper, but aren't there advantages to buying from the developer?
7. What points system is best for me?
8. If I don't want to keep my timeshare, can I give it to charity and get a tax deduction?
9. Are [Marriott, HGVC, etc.] properties worth the extra cost?
10. If I only want to use a week for trading purposes, what should I buy?
11. I just purchased this timeshare from (fill in blank). How do I get out of it (or rescind)?
12. Which one is better - RCI or II?
13. What is the least expensive, most efficient, way to travel to my timeshare.
14. What timeshare purchase is best for my family?
15. How do I find the best re-sell price for a timeshare property?
16. Which is better buying form a developer like Marriott's or buying resale in the open market? Example: Tug Market Place
17. How do I select a timeshare? Example: Price, location of the t/s property, or the size of the unit. A lock unit or a non-lock unit.
18. How do I received the best exchange for my money. Do I purchase points or a fix week?
19. I just bought a TS from {blank} did I get a good deal?
20. Is it safe to buy a timeshare on E-Bay or Craigslist?
21. How do I protect myself if I do buy a timeshare on the internet?
22. What should I look for so I am not scamed over the internet?
23. What special access do I get to the Tug site because I'm a member?
24. What is Timeshare and how many different types are there?
25. What should I be looking for to buy my first timeshare?
26. Is a Timeshare an Asset or liability and why?
27. Why Join TUG?

Update - Page created...here is the link! http://tug2.net/timeshare_advice/fre...imeshares.html

TUGBrian July 16, 2008 03:33 PM

oh and it would also be nice to provide a tug "official" answer for this question...for easier reference.

for example:

Q: How do I sell my timeshare?

A: This is hands down the most frequently asked question we get on TUG, so do not feel alone or disheartened that you dont know. You have already gone light years ahead of most individuals by finding TUG to get the right answer!

This question has such a large answer, that the collective minds of owners and experts here on the TUGBBS forums have collaborated with an all ecompassing article called "How to Sell your Timeshare" that is located here:

http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44

We highly suggest reading this article carefully and completely as it will answer nearly every question you have about how to sell your timeshare!

Conan July 16, 2008 04:42 PM

1. How do I sell my timeshare?

2. How do I rent my timeshare?

3. Should I convert my RCI Week to RCI Poiints?

4. Is RCI Points better than RCI Weeks?

5. I have [RCI/Wyndham/etc.] points that are about to expire. What should I do with them? Can they be extended?

6. I know resale timeshares are cheaper, but aren't there advantages to buying from the developer?

7. What points system is best for me?

8. If I don't want to keep my timeshare, can I give it to charity and get a tax deduction?

9. Are [Marriott, HGVC, etc.] properties worth the extra cost?

10. If I only want to use a week for trading purposes, what should I buy?

ace2000 July 16, 2008 04:50 PM

I just purchased this timeshare from (fill in blank). How do I get out of it (or rescind)?

Which one is better - RCI or II?

TUGBrian July 16, 2008 04:59 PM

ohhh...fantastic ideas there...i think ill let this simmer for awahile to see what kinda questions we get...then make an ubergigantic poll so we can all vote on which ones should be ranked where!

urban5 July 16, 2008 05:08 PM

What is the least expensive, most efficient, way to travel to my timeshare.

applegirl July 16, 2008 05:19 PM

What timeshare purchase is best for my family?

This is a great thread. I'm sure I'll have more ideas later.

pedro47 July 16, 2008 05:25 PM

1. How do I find the best re-sell price for a timeshare property?
2. Which is better buying form a developer like Marriott's or buying
re-sell in the open market? Example: Tug Market Place
3. How do I select a timeshare? Example: Price, location of the t/s property,
or the size of the unit. A lock unit or a non-lock unit.
4. How do I received the best exchange for my money. Do I purchase points or a fix week?

Bill4728 July 16, 2008 07:23 PM

The number 2 question is:

Q. I just bought a TS from {blank} did I get a good deal?

A:
You likely paid two to five times more than you should have if you had bought the exact same TS resale from a current owner. Check your paperwork and see if you can still rescind ( cancel ) your purchase. (Normally if it is within 5-10 days of the date you purchased, you can rescind.) If your within that time period. RESCIND!! Then find out if you did the right thing or if you could have done better buying resale from a current owner. If you find out that for you buying from the developer was the right thing, you should have no problem getting the same deal (or better). But if you don't rescind now, and find out that you should have bought resale from a current owner, it may be too late to rescind. So Rescind now, get educated about buying from the developer and buying resale, then make an educated choice about what is best for you and your family.

PS if you can rescind, follow the directions in your paperwork exactly. If it says send by US mail don't send it overnight with FedEx, send it by US mail ( with a receipt which show when you mailed it).

swift July 16, 2008 09:21 PM

Is it safe to buy a timeshare on E-Bay or Craigslist?

How do I protect myself if I do?

What should I look for so I am not scamed?

RumpleMom July 18, 2008 12:56 PM

What special access do I get to the Tug site because I'm a member?

TUGBrian July 18, 2008 01:03 PM

updated the first post to include all questions sofar...ill let this run for a few weeks to see how many more questions we get...then we can vote!

swift August 20, 2008 12:38 PM

Anything new happening with this?

TUGBrian August 20, 2008 12:38 PM

id forgotten about it honestly...thanks for bringing it back to the top.

beanb41 August 20, 2008 07:43 PM

I think the following questions should be included:
1. What is Timeshare and how many different types are there?
Question 2
What should I be looking for to buy my first timeshare?
Question 3.
Is Timeshare an Asset or liability and why?
Question 4
Why join TUG?

I'll come back with more

T_R_Oglodyte August 21, 2008 12:03 AM

When do I get to learn the secret TUG handshake?

TUGBrian August 21, 2008 09:33 AM

questions added to the list...thank you!

AwayWeGo August 21, 2008 11:15 AM

10 More Timeshare Questions.

Is a new timeshare worth more than a used timeshare ?

How does ROFR support the resale value of my timeshare ?

Is it OK to take timeshare tours for freebies with no intention of buying a timeshare ?

If I join I-I or RCI, can I trade my timeshare week for a week at any other timeshare in the I-I or RCI book ?

If I get tired of my timeshare, do I have to keep on paying the annual fees ?

When I'm finished with my timeshare, can I just give it back to the resort ?

If my timeshare is "floating," am I guaranteed any week I want every year ?

If my timeshare is on the fixed-week system, can I just show up & check in on the appropriate day ?

If I won't be using my unit some year, will my timeshare resort rent out my unit for me & send me the rent money ?

When I'm on vacation at my timeshare, am I required to attend the owner meetings ?

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.

ace2000 August 21, 2008 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T_R_Oglodyte (Post 581244)
When do I get to learn the secret TUG handshake?

I'll probably be banned for life for divulging this to the general public, but I feel the timeshare world will be a better place if we all know and memorize the 'TUG secret handshake'... previously, this knowledge was limited to only members with 5000 posts or more.

Now, when you find a fellow TUG member (they should be wearing the TUG baseball cap, or the TUG t-shirt), please follow the protocol...

http://whisperwhisper.com/wp-content...akediagram.jpg

AwayWeGo August 21, 2008 07:03 PM

Exactly How Does That Go ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ace2000 (Post 581453)

Got any video on that ?

I'm not quite getting it from just the diagram.

Bill4728 September 20, 2008 02:39 PM

Here is another often asked question:

Quote:

Originally Posted by patty5ia (Post 596731)
I won an auction for a timeshare I want to own and the price was good. I just need to know now the process to make sure I get what I think I'm getting. I asked for a copy of the deed and the salesman said he would have the closing company get it and email it to me. That was 24 hours ago and I have heard nothing. Also I plan to pay through paypal with a credit card. Is this the safest way to pay? And what should I make sure that I have before I pay.
Thanks for you help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill4728 (Post 596743)
The key to not getting ripped off when buying a TS off the internet is to use a good closing company which has a legit escrow service. The closing company will transfer the deed and only transfer the money from escrow when the timeshare transfer is complete.

Do not pay the seller directly!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by irish (Post 596786)
I would call owner services at the resort and make sure all the details listed in the auction are correct.ex.. name of owner is correct and owns the week, size of room, are m/f's up to date, week you were bidding on was correct etc.

swift December 24, 2008 08:10 AM

Is this still in the works????

Lawlar December 24, 2008 09:58 AM

There Are So Many Questions!

I could write questions all day for this topic. Here are my first few:

The salesperson told me that my purchase would be a good investment. Is that true?

The salesperson told me that the developer would sell my unit at a profit in the future if I wanted to sell. Is that true?

The information the salesperson told me is not consistent with what I am now learning on TUG and by reading the contract I signed. What can I do to get my money back now that the time to rescind has expired?

I feel I am the victim of timeshare fraud. Can the Better Business Bureau or any government agencies help me?

Are there limits on how much the maintenance fees can be increased?

Is the owners association really representing my best interests?

Can the developer change the rules for exchanging whenever it likes?

Can the developer change the rules for reserving weeks (who gets priority) whenever it likes?

What happens if I stop paying on my timeshare contract?

Can the developer change its rewards system in the future and depreciate the value of the points I have earned?

How could I have been so foolish?

AwayWeGo December 24, 2008 10:06 AM

Legal Questions Too.

I don't like the way the timeshare exchange company rents out deposited timeshare weeks instead of making all of them available for exchange upgrades. Should I sue ?

I don't like the way the timeshare company makes me pay extra for seasonal upgrades. Should I sue ?

I think the timeshare company should pay 100% of the cost of replacing our defective 10-year-old timeshare roof. Should I sue ?

I don't like the restrictions the timeshare company placed on my ability to rent out reservations I make using their internal points system. Should I sue ?

I don't like the timeshare company's management charges that cause large increases in the maintenance fees I have to pay. Should I sue ?

TUGBrian December 24, 2008 10:46 AM

i havent forgotten, just been a busy last few months =)