• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Lagoon Tower - Not Impressed!

HatTrick

Reaction score
We're at HHV now. We'll be heading to the owner update in 1 hr, so we can get our two free tickets to the HHV Luau. And yes the Luau was/is temporarily moved to the grassy area North (?) of the Lagoon (right below the OP's window). We checked it out yesterday and saw the seating and the stage. They have seats all around the stage (360 degrees), like a theater in the round.

Until a couple of years ago, that's where the luau was held. Noise aside, it's a much nicer location, in my opinion, than the roof of the parking structure!

luvsvacation22

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Grand Californian-VGC
Animal Kingdom-AKV
I'd love to trade you. We're in the Kalia tower and I/we think this sucks, all 3 of us do. "IF" we ever stay at HHV again, it will never, ever, be the Kalia tower. This tower was so poorly designed. we are completely removed from the lagoon, Lagoon Tower, the Grand Waikikian, and the rest of the resort. And that tiny cold pool?

We're in a 1-BDRM in the Kalia tower and my wife's son is in a studio in the Lagoon tower. This corporate monster refused to at least put us all in the same building. There is no connection between the Kalia tower and the Grand Waikikian, you have to plan a day long field trip to hike over and/or back between the Lagoon tower, the pools, the lagoon, and the ocean. Don't even mention the dock. Makes having meals together ruff.
I have cash reservations for two nights in the Kalia tower, but now maybe I should reconsider and stay at the Grand Waikikian. It's a little more expensive but I am wondering if we will be happier.

bastroum

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have cash reservations for two nights in the Kalia tower, but now maybe I should reconsider and stay at the Grand Waikikian. It's a little more expensive but I am wondering if we will be happier.

GW is nicer. All depends on the cost and how much time you will be spending in your room.

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)

Yes, you'll be more central 2 everything.

I found a short cut to the GW. I'll post it later after I get back to the room from the Lagoon pool.

Funny sitting here pool side listening to XMAS music.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
For those who are not familar with the Hilton Hawaiian Village (HHV)

I think Hawaii Revealed provides a good description of the hotel property at the Hilton Hawaiian Village (HHV).

From http://www.hawaiirevealed.com/free-...-resorts/waikiki-area/hilton-hawaiian-village
3,386 rooms, 6 pools (including a keiki pool), 3 spas, free fitness rooms, free room safes, coffee makers with free coffee daily, about a dozen restaurants, over 90 shops, over 150,000 sq. ft. of meeting space, 24-hour business center, room service, day spa, hi-speed Internet access in rooms, Wi-Fi in some public areas, lanais (on most), children’s program, wedding coordinator, wedding chapel, lu‘au. Where do we start? We’ve reviewed every resort in Hawai‘i, and this is the biggest kahuna of them all. On a typical day they’ll have over 6,000 guests serviced by 1,700 employees, which practically qualifies it as a small town. If you’re looking for a pulsating, always-moving resort, this place hums. If you’re looking for peace and quiet, you’ve definitely come to the wrong place. It can get very crowded at the pools, and their multi-level 5,000 sq. ft. Paradise Pool has a 77-foot lava tube slide and a waterfall and is very popular. Seven massive towers (the tallest is 38 stories) with the Rainbow Tower being the closest to the water and the Ali‘i Tower having the best services. The grounds are strewn with tropical plants, flowing ponds, swimming pools and some exotic birds, including African penguins.....

The beach defines the northwestern edge of Waikiki and has the calmest waters. There’s a lot to do on the beach and the public lagoon (which is a clean, safer place to frolic). The vendors on the beach rent gear and such for fairly high prices—like $16 for a beach lounge chair and $31 for an umbrella....

If the prices of the restaurants here scare you off, the Hale Koa’s beachside snack bar next door is open to you, but not their other restaurants. The resort is well known for their fireworks every Friday night. They have tons of cultural activities to choose from each day.

Here's an aerial shot of the Hilton Hawaiian Village.
Notice that the Grand Waikikian and Kalia towers have a side of the building that faces away from the resort. These rooms will offer city views and city noise (when the balcony door is open). And also as discussed in this thread, there is noise within the village due to various events/live entertainment. The level of noise will range based on the location of the event/live entertainment compared to each of the towers.

Here's a link to my previous comments about the timeshare units at HHV - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1484644&postcount=9

or-hiltonhawaiianvillage.jpg

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Last Post- I have actually lived in Honolulu ,have visited Hawaii( various islands) at least 30 times in the last 15 years and have stayed at this location (HHV) every December for the last 11 years. It's not my 1st rodeo and I do not reside in rural Kansas!

If you haven't been here in the last 2 weeks, just maybe things have changed since your last visit!
Thanks for the update.

Your earlier comments sounded like someone visiting HHV the first time.

"Anyone who has plans to stay here, think twice about using your valuable points because it is worse than Times Square."

"Anyone who is thinking about buying in the Lagoon towers would be out of their minds! This is NOT a first rate experience!"

There was no previous reference that you visit HHV every year in December. Obviously something has drastically changed since you haven't encountered any problems in the last 11 years (at least not enough to make you consider selling or telling others to stay away).

When you get a moment, please take the time to write an email to HGVC via input@HGVC.com. Definitely point out that you've stayed at HHV every December for the last 11 years because it will provide a lot of credibility to your statements about the noise level. According to a HGVC manager I spoke with, issues/problems reported by members via input@HGVC.com gets the corporate office attention and priority. Just try to be courteous (no one wants to talk to an insulting or crazy person) and basically explain the issue (without going into a rant) and your expect outcome as a HGVC owner. ;)

Thanks,

Phyllis

Last edited:

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
My wife's son is in the Lagoon tower, which is next to (connected) to the GW. If the GW and the Kalia tower were connected, we could get back and forth easily. Plus tomorrow we have to figure out how to get back there for our owner update at 8:30 AM.

Plus if there was an easy way to get to the GW/Lagoon towers we would be at the beach.

I usually cut through the garage. You can exit the Kalia tower ocean exit. Take a right and walk down the lane where the taxis wait and you are at the lagoon tower in less than 5 minutes. Easy peasy...it's like walking from the moana tower to the naia lagoon bar. Or walking from KAA to KAN pools.

If you need help give send a pm or call ron. HHV is like my 3rd home (MKO is my 2nd home) :D:D

But if you want to come out to the country and meet me I'm here at MKO. I rarely go towards town.

luvsvacation22

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Grand Californian-VGC
Animal Kingdom-AKV
Yes, you'll be more central 2 everything.

I found a short cut to the GW. I'll post it later after I get back to the room from the Lagoon pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks!

I think Hawaii Revealed provides a good description of the hotel property at the Hilton Hawaiian Village (HHV).

Here's an aerial shot of the Hilton Hawaiian Village.
Notice that the Grand Waikikian and Kalia towers have a side of the building that faces away from the resort. These rooms will offer city views and city noise (when the balcony door is open). And also as discussed in this thread, there is noise within the village due to various events/live entertainment. The level of noise will range based on the location of the event/live entertainment compared to each of the towers.

Here's a link to my previous comments about the timeshare units at HHV - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1484644&postcount=9

or-hiltonhawaiianvillage.jpg
Thanks for all the great info Phyllis.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am sorry for the experience of the OP. :(

But, unless you stay at the hotel in the Rainbow or Ali'i Towers, I personally think the Lagoon Tower has the best location at HHV. But obviously, to each their own. :)

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Did you know what type of resort this was when you booked it?

Currently spending 19 days here @ Lagoon Towers. We are in a 1BR ungraded room facing the lagoon and Diamond Head.

We have had nothing but a noise problems- first w/ Movies being played on a large Projected Screen w/ 8' high speakers projecting sound right into the side of the Lagoon Towers at night in a volume that it is hard to have a conversation. Interesting, because there are only a couple of people watching the movie but they are managing to piss off half the building staying here. I called the Hotel Management and they don't care because the movies are published in the daily newspaper as guest entertainment and they will NOT stop them.I asked why can't they project the sound facing towards the ocean and was told they always do it this way.Poor decision making of the Management in my opinion!

It gets better- they failed to tell me that they have moved beginning last night, the nightly Hawaiian show from the Parking Garage roof to in front of the Lagoon Towers so we can have more high volume noise every night.I haven't called them because they don't give a damn about the suckers who bought HGVC staying in the Lagoon Tower

This location is very unprofessional in my opinion and feel I've been ripped off by Hilton.They just don't care- very interesting attitude!I wanted to pass this on because I would hate to see anyone else in the future be as disappointed as I have been w/ my stay here.

I am pissed to the point that I am going to sell my HGVC membership when I get home!

Did you know the type of resort you were getting when you booked it? HHV and Waikiki is noisy, busy, and like taking Manhattan and putting on Fire Island in New York. Have you read any of the posts that I and others have made about this area? Did you rent a car to stay there? I have stated that if you need or want a car go to one of the other 5 Hawaiian Islands or another part of Oahu. I feel that a car in Waikiki is a problem with parking, traffic, and aggravation. Since we have booked timeshare resorts we have been to some that we want to return to every year or two, others that we say been there done that, and others that we say we will never return for various reason. The Lagoon Tower is one that we have been to and will be returning to on January 4th. Don't blame the HHV or the HGVClub for the reservation that you made. Perhaps a vacation to the Big Island of Hawaii which has 3 excellent Hilton timeshare resorts would be a better fit for your needs and desires. To each his won, that's my philosophy, I don't know that is right for you, you don't know what's right for me.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
To get from Kalia to GW, I either walk through the garage if it is raining, or I walk around the street access on Ala Mouna Blvd and walk to the parking garage elevator.

I walk back and forth many times, as the spa and the gym are both in Kalia.

I just stay in GW for thanksgiving. Noise from Luau is audible with the door closed, but tolerable. Traffic noise is equally as bad with the door open.

gnorth16

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last Post- I have actually lived in Honolulu ,have visited Hawaii( various islands) at least 30 times in the last 15 years and have stayed at this location (HHV) every December for the last 11 years. It's not my 1st rodeo and I do not reside in rural Kansas!

If you haven't been here in the last 2 weeks, just maybe things have changed since your last visit!

Maybe you should sell your points. Looking back at your previous posts, you haven't been at all positive towards HGVC. Maybe you should rent like the previous 10 years at HHV...:rolleyes: I'm sure Hilton would rather have you paying the rack rate anyways.;) If you did your research before buying and booking points, you would have made a better informed decision and been happy. That's what someone from rural Kansas would have done!:D

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm chuckling over here because I own at HHV Lagoon and like it for all the reasons it irritates you guys :).

X2
This sounds really bad but my first thought was "oh, good! A bad review. Maybe a lot of people will read it and they'll stay elsewhere and I won't have such a hard time getting a reservation."

I adore HHV and have been an owner since before they opened. I love looking at events on the green lawn even when some Japanese business is hosting a corporate event. I don't mind the nightly luau. I love the hustle and bustle and walking every night from HHV to Duke statue and back with my kids. But I complete understand that if you're expecting quiet peaceful Hawaii then Waikiki is a utter shock to ones senses. We alway go to the Big Island after HHV--makes for a very balanced vacation.

My brother can't stand Waikiki but goes to Disney World/Land twice a year. I rather scratch my eyeballs out rather than go back to Disney World. Different stroke for different folks.

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I too am confused by the OP. I'm not fond of HGVC Lagoon either. When we stayed there a couple of years ago, it felt to me like exactly what it was - an old converted apartment building. I'm just not a fan of the dynamic at this location. But I recognize it for what it is, and appreciate that some people really like this type of vacation. I'm not sure what has changed for the OP -- has it really gotten that much worse or noisier in the last couple of years?

Ironically, my company is sending me there for a week-long conference in Feb. So DW and I will be staying in the hotel section of HHV. And considering the fact that it will be on the company's dime, and I'll be getting paid to boot, I'm anticipating that it will be absolutely wonderful! :D

And oh BTW, for our own vacation, we'll be going to Kingsland in October.

-Bob

bastroum

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great thread! Everybody likes something different. Just the way it should be and why these companies build in different locations.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what has changed for the OP -- has it really gotten that much worse or noisier in the last couple of years?

In looking at his previous posts, it looks like he stayed in the hotel side for many years. It can be quite a shock to go from hotel service to a timeshare.

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)
[Comment about OP removed -- discuss the topic, not each other - mg] Although there was no Luau last nite, some special event (very noisy) was held in the grassy area North of the Lagoon, right below the OP's room. Just as we sat down to dinner, KABOOOM!. There was a great fireworks show from the Lagoon. Since we are in the Kalia tower, looking directly South over the convention building, lagoon, and the ocean, we had a great view.

http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l625/Ron98GT/3cdc169990d213f22ebce399efeb4040.jpg

I was going to do the Hilton catamaran dinner fireworks cruise Friday from the Hilton dock, but this view of the fireworks is too good to pass up.

[Comment about OP removed - mg]

Last edited by a moderator:

HatTrick

Reaction score
Ironically, my company is sending me there for a week-long conference in Feb. So DW and I will be staying in the hotel section of HHV. And considering the fact that it will be on the company's dime, and I'll be getting paid to boot, I'm anticipating that it will be absolutely wonderful! :D

Let's not rub it in, now!

Last edited:

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I was also miffed by Ron's comment about them not putting them together in the same tower. Inventory on the Timeshare side is separate. They can't move you from one tower to the other, because it would mean displacing someone the other way around. In the timeshare people have expectations of being in the very room type they selected.

If you stay at a hotel and book a run of house, the house puts you where ever they want to.

Not sure if that was the cause of the issue of misunderstanding that the two bookings, while booked in 2 separate inventory pools could not magically be booked into a single tower of timeshare.

Last edited:

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
You are staying at HHV on the Company Dime!

I too am confused by the OP. I'm not fond of HGVC Lagoon either. When we stayed there a couple of years ago, it felt to me like exactly what it was - an old converted apartment building. I'm just not a fan of the dynamic at this location. But I recognize it for what it is, and appreciate that some people really like this type of vacation. I'm not sure what has changed for the OP -- has it really gotten that much worse or noisier in the last couple of years?

And oh BTW, for our own vacation, we'll be going to Kingsland in October.

-Bob

Your staying at HHV on the company dime. I retired a job that I loved and would have continued if I could stay at the HHV in the winter. I just hated the NY winters. Can I work for your company for no pay?

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko'Olina is a great location if you want quite, a car, and being there

I'd love to trade you. We're in the Kalia tower and I/we think this sucks, all 3 of us do. "IF" we ever stay at HHV again, it will never, ever, be the Kalia tower. This tower was so poorly designed. we are completely removed from the lagoon, Lagoon Tower, the Grand Waikikian, and the rest of the resort. And that tiny cold pool?

We're in a 1-BDRM in the Kalia tower and my wife's son is in a studio in the Lagoon tower. This corporate monster refused to at least put us all in the same building. There is no connection between the Kalia tower and the Grand Waikikian, you have to plan a day long field trip to hike over and/or back between the Lagoon tower, the pools, the lagoon, and the ocean. Don't even mention the dock. Makes having meals together ruff.

The movie and the Luau are early in the evening, so it would't bother us. We hear all the noise while we're eating dinner.

We'll be at the Luau Wednesday nite, after getting 2 free tickets at the owner update tomorrow morning. :wave:

We sure miss our nice quiet week at WKORV on Maui last week. Westin definitely treats there guests better than HHV, although we never had any problems at any of the other HGVC TS's or Hilton hotels we've stayed at. Like I said HHV is a corporate monster. Maybe have to stick with Ko'olina when we come to Oahu.

The issue with timeshares as well as real estate is location, location, location. Do you like the hustle and bustle of Waikiki or the quite of Ko'Olina. Do you want to walk to restaurants, shops and activities or do you want to drive. Do you want or need a car, or do you want the freedom of not needing a car but still being able to attend great activities away from the resort. If your answers point you to Ko'Olina go there or to one of the other 5 Hawaiian Islands, if your answers point you to the HHV and Waikiki go there.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Half Full Half Empty Perspective Would Apply Hear

Currently spending 19 days here @ Lagoon Towers. We are in a 1BR ungraded room facing the lagoon and Diamond Head.

We have had nothing but a noise problems- first w/ Movies being played on a large Projected Screen w/ 8' high speakers projecting sound right into the side of the Lagoon Towers at night in a volume that it is hard to have a conversation. Interesting, because there are only a couple of people watching the movie but they are managing to piss off half the building staying here. I called the Hotel Management and they don't care because the movies are published in the daily newspaper as guest entertainment and they will NOT stop them.I asked why can't they project the sound facing towards the ocean and was told they always do it this way.Poor decision making of the Management in my opinion!

It gets better- they failed to tell me that they have moved beginning last night, the nightly Hawaiian show from the Parking Garage roof to in front of the Lagoon Towers so we can have more high volume noise every night.I haven't called them because they don't give a damn about the suckers who bought HGVC staying in the Lagoon Tower

This location is very unprofessional in my opinion and feel I've been ripped off by Hilton.They just don't care- very interesting attitude!I wanted to pass this on because I would hate to see anyone else in the future be as disappointed as I have been w/ my stay here.

I am pissed to the point that I am going to sell my HGVC membership when I get home!

You are annoyed at the noise at the HHV. You are annoyed that they moved the Luau. You are annoyed at management not adjusting their plan to suit your desires. I can relate to each one of your thoughts, since I have been at the HHV for over 500 nights in the last 6 years. I would love them to adjust the way they do things to satisfy me, however, I understand that there are thousands of people involved in the HHV. I look at all the things I love about Waikiki and HHV; I will not bore you with them, but I believe you may be able to name some if you focus on the positive and look at the half full glass instead of the half empty glass. Doing so makes these issues seem so small compared to the snow/ice storm that is coming down on the NY metro area where we live. You may live in a place with snow, ice, cold, and intolerant attitudes that I find extremely undesirable and I wouldn't tolerate. However, what I experience at the HHV makes me want to stay at the HHV as many nights as I can. If you don't see enough liquid in the glass to make you come back, so be it, I would never leave if I didn't have to.