• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New or Resale

tiggerzzz

Reaction score
We went to a presentation with HGVC this last weekend. We really liked the plan, but want to wait for a year. We hooked into their VIP program for 15 months to freeze the costs.

I am now considering resale instead of buying new. Buying new, we will end up with a lot of bonus points, but I am not sure if it is worth it in the long run.

Can anyone provide any advice either way?

Thanks,

Spence

Banned
Reaction score
We went to a presentation with HGVC this last weekend. We really liked the plan, but want to wait for a year. We hooked into their VIP program for 15 months to freeze the costs.

I am now considering resale instead of buying new. Buying new, we will end up with a lot of bonus points, but I am not sure if it is worth it in the long run.

Thanks,
Spend your 15 months here on TUG reading, reading, reading. You will decide to go resale vice retail.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
With resale, you pay about 1/3 the developer's price (even with them "freezing the cost"). For my recent purchase, that saved me about $21,000 vs. buying from the developer.

The disadvantage is that you do not get any bonus points, and your purchase does not count toward any Elite status (Elite status is when you own at least 14,000 HGVC points, and they are all purchased direct from the developer or HGVC). To me, the extra $21K in my pocket more than compensated for these disadvantages.

Also, check out the "Hotel-based Timeshare Systems" forum on this board -- lots of good info there.

Kurt

Last edited:

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
"Used" & "New" Are Meaningless In The Timeshare Biz.

Thanks,
Basically, from all I have been able to tell from going on timeshare sales tours & reading The Wisdom Of TUG, VIP status offered by various timeshare development companies is practically all sizzle & hardly any steak -- that is, it's something they came up with to dazzle customers so customers will be more inclined to overlook the thousands they could save by buying resale & buy at full freight instead just so they can become timeshare VIPs. Others on TUG lots smarter than I am have pointed out that any privileges that might come with being a timeshare VIP cost w-a-a-a-a-y more than they're worth just about any way you shake it.

[ Full Discosure: All our timeshares are used-used-used & used (i.e., resale) -- bought for nickels on the full-freight dollar. If we're missing out on anything by being non-VIP timesharers, we're too dim to know what that might be.]

The odd thing is that if all our timeshares had been "new" when we bought'm -- i.e., if we went against all our instincts & paid full freight, with or without VIP status -- the actual timeshare villas & condos & dwelling units would all be used-used-used by the time we actually showed up & checked in. That's why it only makes sense to buy timeshares "used" & why, in the timeshare biz, "new" & "used" are mox nix.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Bill4728

Reaction score
With some TS companies, there may be a reason to buy from the developer. With HGVC, the only reason is if you want elite which value is questionable. So it is a no brainer to buy resale.

NEXT, You purchased a VIP (trial membership last weekend) This is also likely very overpriced. If you want to try out the clubs resorts, you can just rent a week from a HGVC owner for much less than you paid for the VIP package. I don't know if you can get out of this purchase, but I'd try. (you can't just rescind since it isn't a TS purchase)

Good Luck

PS I really like HGVC, and think it is one of the best TS companies out there. Just buy it resale and save >$10,000.

tiggerzzz

Reaction score
Thanks to all of the replies. I had a feeling resale was the only way to go, but I wanted to be 100% sure.

I will have to read over all the posts and information here to ensure I make the next best decision (first decision is not to by from retailer).