• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How to decide the perfect amount of points for you?

Sunshine Wanted

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
So, as you all know I am very new to this; not an owner; but in the learning stages & HGVC seems like a great system. I guess our next step is to decide how many "points" are the right amount of points for us. So, how do we do that? Seems the trick is to have the right amount - not too many; not too few. Also, do you want to have enough points for ALL your vacations, or should you start small? Many of the vacations we like to take (location & types) are listed in RCI, so it seems we could make points work for all vacations (almost all anyway).

Thanks in advance!

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you want a base to start from, I would suggest a minimum of 7000 points, which will buy you a platinum week in most HGVC locations and a gold week in Hawaii.

We only own 7000 points and though I would like to eventually have more, these points have given us some nice vacations, especially since we can borrow ahead with HGVC.

Last edited:

benjaminb13

Reaction score
Hi Sunshine,
Depends on your situation
Children?
How many weeks a year you go on vac.
When?
And where---- most often

I do the HGVC/Hyatt combo thing-
I have 3 weeks a year. Since my family loves Hawaii but lives in California, We have HGVC points for long hawaii stays and Hyatt points for quick tahoe or carmel getaways.

linsj

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
There are so many factors to consider, including size of room and when you want to travel. For example, I can get 3+ weeks--and all in Hawaii if I choose--out of 5,000 points when I choose a studio and travel off season (which is what I do most of the time).

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
So wish I would have purchased HGVC instead of Marriott recently. Points are so much more flexible and you can convert to Hilton Honors points for hotels if you get in a real pinch and now RCI has DVC resorts!

If I was going with HGVC it would be 7000 points at cheapest upfront (Vegas) and MF (I know I could find a reason to use the points, again worst case convert to Hilton Honors any left overs or bank into next year).

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
One of the primary reasons to join HGVC is to have priority reservation access within their mini resort system. I suggest buying enough points depending on how often you want to stay at the HGVC developed resorts in Orlando, Las Vegas and Hawaii. Remember you can also bank and borrow if you don't want to go every year however you give up your home resort booking advantage when you do this.

I suggest using the other club usage options whenever you want something different from time to time.
NOTE: Most Club Partner Perks are not setup to save money. It just allows members to apply some of their HGVC expense towards other vacation options.

Regarding RCI - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showpost.php?p=496304&postcount=37

The TUG polls might give you an idea of the number of points HGVC TUG members own and how they've used their points.
Link to HGVC ownership polls - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66136

Sunshine Wanted

TUG Member
Reaction score
Poll - elite?

I was looking at the point poll mentioned in the previous post. 25% of members have 14,000 or more and are elite, but then there is a category for 14,000 or more but not elite. How does one become "elite"?

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Now you must buy a minimium of 14K from HGVC directly. You can purchase resale, accumulate over 14K but will NOT Become Elite.

I suppose it might be possible to own 1 property resale, and purchase a second property from Hilton directly and obtain Elite in that process. But still not cost effective, in my opinion.

There are 3 levels to Elite: Elite @ 14K, Elite Plus @ 24K, and Elite Premier at 34K. Very expensive to purchase these directly from Hilton.

I managed to get Elite via Resale, but that was before Hilton stopped allowing that to happen. That was about 4 years ago.

Sunshine Wanted

TUG Member
Reaction score
no elite for me then...

Now you must buy a minimium of 14K from HGVC directly. You can purchase resale, accumulate over 14K but will NOT Become Elite.

I suppose it might be possible to own 1 property resale, and purchase a second property from Hilton directly and obtain Elite in that process. But still not cost effective, in my opinion.

There are 3 levels to Elite: Elite @ 14K, Elite Plus @ 24K, and Elite Premier at 34K. Very expensive to purchase these directly from Hilton.

I managed to get Elite via Resale, but that was before Hilton stopped allowing that to happen. That was about 4 years ago.

Oh well - go ahead and dash my dreams of being elite. Doubt it will happen (as I can't afford developer prices) :)