• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Tricks of the New Points System

MRMarriott

Reaction score
I have actively been devouring all the information on TUG lately. I am relatively new to the boards, but have been very happy with Marriott in the past and had concerns when I heard about the new points program coming out.

Since it's release, I can say that the points skimming initially caused me concern, but knowing I can book my home club the way I always have while others essentially have to pay more actually makes me feel protected, not upset.

I was wondering if anyone has played around and thought of some ways to work the system favorably?

Here are a couple I came up with:

1. Rentals - Renting was quite a pain in the past. You would book the week in your season, post it on TUG or other sites, and hope someone wanted it for the price.

Now, can't we simply post how many points we want to give? Marriott allows trading points between owners, so I could post, say, 1000 points for $500 dollars. If there is an owner out there who needs some more points to make their vacation work, they'll buy them and we can trade. A much easier transaction than selling one specific week at one specific club!

2. Midweek flights - I don't know about you, but one of the biggest expenses I've found is flights to Hawaii or Aruba, or anywhere else. Just playing around online, I noticed a savings of $200-$300 dollars on Tuesday-Thursday flights.

So, if I use my club the traditional way, but call Marriott and add 1,000 points at $9,200 (2-3 nights in most clubs midweek), I could make my vacations a couple of nights longer AND save $1000-$1500 a year on flights for a family of 5. Seems like 1,000 pts will pay for itself in 9-10 years of ownership, and be gravy after that.

Any others you've thought of?

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
2. Midweek flights - I don't know about you, but one of the biggest expenses I've found is flights to Hawaii or Aruba, or anywhere else. Just playing around online, I noticed a savings of $200-$300 dollars on Tuesday-Thursday flights.

So, if I use my club the traditional way, but call Marriott and add 1,000 points at $9,200 (2-3 nights in most clubs midweek), I could make my vacations a couple of nights longer AND save $1000-$1500 a year on flights for a family of 5. Seems like 1,000 pts will pay for itself in 9-10 years of ownership, and be gravy after that.

You can do this in the weeks system too...

Most resorts allow splitting weeks for a $75 fee eg. a Sat-Tue stay and Tue-Sat stay. Booked back to back this could be a Sat-Sat stay or a Tue-Tue stay...

No need to enroll, no need to but 1000 points, no need to get skimmed left and right...

MRMarriott

Reaction score
From what I know about splits, 3 nights must be Fri-Sun and 4 nights must be Mon-Thurs. This would be in most clubs with Fri, Sat, Sun check-in only.

The only difference, then, is possibly Mon-Mon, and Monday flights are as bad as the weekend in most cases.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
From what I know about splits, 3 nights must be Fri-Sun and 4 nights must be Mon-Thurs. This would be in most clubs with Fri, Sat, Sun check-in only.

The only difference, then, is possibly Mon-Mon, and Monday flights are as bad as the weekend in most cases.

You can do Tue-Tue in Hawaii and some other paces and Thu-Thu in Florida. Some other places are Mon-Mon. See this chart...

Yes, it's less flexible and can only be done at home resort - but a weekday to weekday checkin is not "new"

Last edited:

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Wonder if the OP's IP address comes back to a big company?:ignore:

brigechols

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have actively been devouring all the information on TUG lately. I am relatively new to the boards, but have been very happy with Marriott in the past and had concerns when I heard about the new points program coming out.

Since it's release, I can say that the points skimming initially caused me concern, but knowing I can book my home club the way I always have while others essentially have to pay more actually makes me feel protected, not upset.

I was wondering if anyone has played around and thought of some ways to work the system favorably?

1. Rentals - Renting was quite a pain in the past. You would book the week in your season, post it on TUG or other sites, and hope someone wanted it for the price.

Now, can't we simply post how many points we want to give? Marriott allows trading points between owners, so I could post, say, 1000 points for $500 dollars. If there is an owner out there who needs some more points to make their vacation work, they'll buy them and we can trade. A much easier transaction than selling one specific week at one specific club!

Yep. Keep using my Marriott weeks as in the past :whoopie: and buy/rent Worldmark points :p

pfrank4127

TUG Member
Reaction score

I like that I can now stay for almost two weeks if I pay cash for a Friday and Saturday stay.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Wonder if the OP's IP address comes back to a big company?:ignore:

Nah, I'm convinced from another thread that he's George Michael. :rofl:

RedDogSD

TUG Member
Reaction score
I like that I can now stay for almost two weeks if I pay cash for a Friday and Saturday stay.

Considering what they charge in cash for Friday and Saturday night, that is not that good of a deal. The trick will be to leave the Resort and go visit another area with a Hotel for the weekend. For example, someone on here mentioned doing Newport Su-Th, go to San Diego or LA for weekend, and back for another Su-Th.

However, us lockoff owners always could do a full 2 weeks anyways. The only difference is that we had to down in size on our units.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch

Yep, I like the idea of combining weekdays on Club Points with a weekend or two on Marriott Reward Points, moving around the same general area and extending stays.

And I like the idea of using CP at resorts or in off-seasons where they stretch further, getting more nights to be credited for MRP status.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC

What I am also thinking is that buying 1000 points for roughly $10K is about $1900 a year over 10 years:

(i) it's about $500 a year just based on the fact I could invest that money elsewhere (e.g. tax free munis) and earn actual income

(ii) it's another $1000 a year if you consider that Marriott has a history of devaluing retail purchases so we need to assume the points will be worthless on the resale market right after you buy them, let alone in 10 years. If Marriott makes points transferable on the resale market with no penalty, we can re-evaluate this...

(iii) it's $400 in MFs each year, assuming MFs are constant

Or (using BocaBum99's calculation) assuming you finance the purchase with a 10 year loan at 8% and pay it back in 10 annual installments the cost is $1490 + $400 in MFs a year, very close to my guesstimate....

Spending $1900 a year over 10 years, most of it upfront and the rest in annual MFs, for the possibility of saving on airfare and the promise of "gravy" thereafter is a bit too much for me.

I'd rather use the $1900 to (i) rent another summer vacation (ii) rent 3-4 getaways, (iii) save for my kids' college education...

For an actual retail buyer thinking of buying 5000 points from Marriott, you can see that the value proposition is going to be a tough sell.

Last edited:

pfrank4127

TUG Member
Reaction score
Considering what they charge in cash for Friday and Saturday night, that is not that good of a deal. The trick will be to leave the Resort and go visit another area with a Hotel for the weekend. For example, someone on here mentioned doing Newport Su-Th, go to San Diego or LA for weekend, and back for another Su-Th.

However, us lockoff owners always could do a full 2 weeks anyways. The only difference is that we had to down in size on our units.

We typically end up paying for a couple of nights with a cash reservation so this is something we are comfortable with so with points we can potentially have more vacation time.

That's a nice feature of lockoffs but Surf Watch doesn't offer and we typically need the 2bd capacity.

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score

The trick is to get Marriott points cheap enough (MF wise) so it doesn't matter what the point value is and go anytime, anywhere you want. That's the key to exploiting this system.

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
What I am also thinking is that buying 1000 points for roughly $10K is about $1900 a year over 10 years:

(i) it's about $500 a year just based on the fact I could invest that money elsewhere (e.g. tax free munis) and earn actual income

(ii) it's another $1000 a year if you consider that Marriott has a history of devaluing retail purchases so we need to assume the points will be worthless on the resale market right after you buy them, let alone in 10 years.

(iii) it's $400 in MFs each year, assuming MFs are constant

Or (using BocaBum calculation) assuming you finance the purchase with a 10 year loan at 8% and pay it back in 10 annual installments the cost is $1490 + $400 in MFs a year, very close to my guesstimate....

Spending $1900 a year over 10 years, most of it upfront and the rest in annual MFs, for the possibility of saving on airfare and the promise of "gravy" thereafter is a bit too much for me.

I'd rather use the $1900 to (i) rent another summer vacation (ii) rent 3-4 getaways, (iii) save for my kids' college education...

For an actual retail buyer thinking of buying 5000 points from Marriott, you can see that the value proposition is going to be a tough sell.

It is a correct conclusion that purchasing Marriott points from Marriott for vacationing is a very bad idea.

FlyerBobcat

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Q: Is it true, though, that the 1,000 points will cost you $400/yr MFs?

And I think it will be interesting to see how easy it is to book your customized & peak season set of dates. I can see it now..... "Well, we don't have the Tuesday and Wednesday in the time period requested.."

hipslo

TUG Member
Reaction score
The trick is to get Marriott points cheap enough (MF wise) so it doesn't matter what the point value is and go anytime, anywhere you want. That's the key to exploiting this system.

Boca - I tend to agree with you here, but I dont see why you are focusing solely on mf per point. For example, my mf per point at mountainside, platinum, are very low - 0.18 per point. However, the upfront cost to purchase the week was very high - roughly 30k, even resale.

It seems to me that both upfront cost per point, amortized on some basis, and mf per point, need to be factored into some sort of a blended, effective annual cost per point in order to determine what it truly costs per night to stay at the various resorts.

Or are you just taking the view that the upfront costs are already sunk costs and should just be ignored? If so, I am not sure I agree with that.

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Boca - I tend to agree with you here, but I dont see why you are focusing solely on mf per point. For example, my mf per point at mountainside, platinum, are very low - 0.18 per point. However, the upfront cost to purchase the week was very high - roughly 30k, even resale.

It seems to me that both upfront cost per point, amortized on some basis, and mf per point, need to be factored into some sort of a blended, effective annual cost per point in order to determine what it truly costs per night to stay at the various resorts.

Or are you just taking the view that the upfront costs are already sunk costs and should just be ignored? If so, I am not sure I agree with that.

You have to evaluate the choice in front of you. The choice of making a decision to convert or not.

The cost will be either the developer purchased rate or non-developer purchase rate. Worst case is $2000. Plus the annual fee.

Then, you need to evaluate what that $2000 can get you.

1) Access to all program details and future program features they decide to add later. There is some options value here. Probably at least worth $500 of the $2000 (if resale enrollment). More if Marriott adds a bonus time/ open season option as a standard feature for points owners.

2) A new virtually guaranteed rental market. I predict a robust rental market for points. Any time you need to forgo a week or partial week of owners, you will be able to get some money back most likely at a discount.

3) Huge direct exchange value. You now how a currency of relatively cheap Marriott Vacations that you can offer as trades to go anywhere else you want . If you put up a direct exchange ad on TUG offering anything in Marriott that is available, you can request just about anything you want.

4) Save fees on internal exchanges to reduce annual fees from Marriott.

For me, the options value would be huge. You have so many more options in the program than outside of it. At $.18/point, you will be one of the low cost owners which is the best place to be in any system. You get the highest rental profit and the biggest trade ups.

hipslo

TUG Member
Reaction score
You have to evaluate the choice in front of you. The choice of making a decision to convert or not.

The cost will be either the developer purchased rate or non-developer purchase rate. Worst case is $2000. Plus the annual fee.

Then, you need to evaluate what that $2000 can get you.

1) Access to all program details and future program features they decide to add later. There is some options value here. Probably at least worth $500 of the $2000 (if resale enrollment). More if Marriott adds a bonus time/ open season option as a standard feature for points owners.

2) A new virtually guaranteed rental market. I predict a robust rental market for points. Any time you need to forgo a week or partial week of owners, you will be able to get some money back most likely at a discount.

3) Huge direct exchange value. You now how a currency of relatively cheap Marriott Vacations that you can offer as trades to go anywhere else you want . If you put up a direct exchange ad on TUG offering anything in Marriott that is available, you can request just about anything you want.

4) Save fees on internal exchanges to reduce annual fees from Marriott.

For me, the options value would be huge. You have so many more options in the program than outside of it. At $.18/point, you will be one of the low cost owners which is the best place to be in any system. You get the highest rental profit and the biggest trade ups.

I agree with all that, and will likely convert. Whether or not I ever actually give up my weeks for points, which seems like a pretty bad deal to me, given my usage patterns, is another matter entirely.

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with all that, and will likely convert. Whether or not I ever actually give up my weeks for points, which seems like a pretty bad deal to me, given my usage patterns, is another matter entirely.

The mistake most owners on this board are making is getting too pre-occupied with skim. Skim is just the buy-sell spread. It's like currency conversion spread you pay when you go to a foreign country. What matters is your total cost.

If the rental market for Marriott points is strong, you can get a 100% margin on your maintenance fees. You can make your entire conversion cost up in a year or two of renting. When the payback is so short, it's a no brainer decision.

hipslo

TUG Member
Reaction score
The mistake most owners on this board are making is getting too pre-occupied with skim. Skim is just the buy-sell spread. It's like currency conversion spread you pay when you go to a foreign country. What matters is your total cost.

If the rental market for Marriott points is strong, you can get a 100% margin on your maintenance fees. You can make your entire conversion cost up in a year or two of renting. When the payback is so short, it's a no brainer decision.

I currently own 4 platinum ms ski weeks. Each year I use one and rent three. (Someday when I have more free time I would like to use all 4, consecutvely). I make 4 consecutive reservations and this way am able to lock in the week I really need, the fourth week, 14 months in advance.

If I were to convert all those weeks to points and use 6900 points to reserve the one week I intend to use, I'd have 14,500 points left over. In order to generate the same amount of gross rental income that I do currently renting weeks (call it 8500, give or take), I'd need to rent all of my points for 0.58 per point. That seems unlikely to me. So, why would I ever trade in my weeks for points, given that usage pattern?

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
I currently own 4 platinum ms ski weeks. Each year I use one and rent three. (Someday when I have more free time I would like to use all 4, consecutvely). I make 4 consecutive reservations and this way am able to lock in the week I really need, the fourth week, 14 months in advance.

If I were to convert all those weeks to points and use 6900 points to reserve the one week I intend to use, I'd have 14,500 points left over. In order to generate the same amount of gross rental income that I do currently renting weeks (call it 8500, give or take), I'd need to rent all of my points for 0.58 per point. That seems unlikely to me. So, why would I ever trade in my weeks for points, given that usage pattern?

I wouldn't. Take that scenario off the table. What I would do instead, it join so that you can play the other side of that trade.

In other words, convert to get into the game. Rent out ALL of your units and rent points from other owners. Even if it costs you $.40/point to rent, you are renting the units you own for $.58/point.

That reduces your cost by $.18/point and you will probably pay for your conversion fee if you are successful just once.

That is the options value I talked about earlier. To capitalize on the Marriott point system, you have to learn where the arbitrage opportunities are. You have just identified one. And, it's a good one at that.

Last edited:

hipslo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't. Take that scenario off the table. What I would do instead, it join so that you can play the other side of that trade.

In other words, convert to get into the game. Rent out ALL of your units and rent points from other owners. Even if it costs you $.40/point to rent, you are renting the units you own for $.58/point.

That reduces your cost by $.18/point and you will probably pay for your conversion fee if you are successful just once.

That is the options value I talked about earlier. To capitalize on the Marriott point system, you have to learn where the arbitrage opportunities are. You have just identified one. And, it's a good one at that.

Very interesting, thanks for the insight, I hadnt looked at it that way. Though I suppose the issue there would be availability of the desired week in points by the time I reserve and rent out the units - I guess I'd need to lay out the funds in advance, make the reservation in points at 13 months (if possible), and "pay myself back" out of the rental income.

You guys are great!

rsackett

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott’s Harbour Point
BocaBum99 & Mr Marriott,

Can you come up with a way points work for me?

I own two Marriott weeks, Plat Manor Club and Week 32 at Harbour Point. My total mainenance fees are about $1850. Marriott is offering me 3525 points total for both. I bought resale, so to join would cost me about $2,000. Both of my units are two bedroom non-lock-off units.

Ray

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark

Hawaii owners can redeem their weeks for points and live in Branson year round (may have to move out Christmas week).

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Very interesting, thanks for the insight, I hadnt looked at it that way. Though I suppose the issue there would be availability of the desired week in points by the time I reserve and rent out the units - I guess I'd need to lay out the funds in advance, make the reservation in points at 13 months (if possible), and "pay myself back" out of the rental income.

You guys are great!

I know this is very lucrative with DVC points, especially if you get people who understand your point system. They'll be looking to take advantage of your top level point status and the 13 month window.