• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Home workout equipment???

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any great ideas on home exercise equipment? Just wondering if anyone has something that works for them at home.

Used an elliptical cross trainer last week at a timeshare, and enjoyed that. We've decided to purchase something used off Craigslist, but still don't know what to get.

cotraveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our home treadmill makes a good coat rack, a fate much home based exercise equipment seems to suffer. :) I do get out and walk, especially now that the weather is warming up.

L

laurac260

We have a Spirit Treadmill, Xpress Pro "gym" , and life fitness elliptical. Have been very happy with all of it. It all gets nearly daily use. Get good. A cheap treadmill will become a coat rack, so get a good one.

ada903

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have two machines that I am very very happy with. The first one is a Sole F80 treadmill, and it is awesome - sturdy, reliable, just as good as those professional heavy duty machines at the gym. I think it was around $1,500 new.

http://www.treadmill-ratings-reviews.com/models/solef80.htm

http://www.amazon.com/Sole-Treadmill-2009-2010-Model-DISCONTINUED/dp/B001G60JAI

My second machine, I just bought it a few weeks ago used from craigslist, and I got soooo lucky, it is my dream machine. I worked out on dozens of ellipticals at the gym, all new fancy expensive models, but none beats this one. It is a PRECOR EFX 556I - best exercise machine in the world if you ask me. Extremely comfortable, your feet never fall numb, and you sweat like a pig but don't really feel the effort as much as on a treadmill. I got mine for $1,200 on craigslist, and it was worth every cent.

http://www.amazon.com/Precor-EFX-556i-Elliptical/dp/B001684URY

http://www.precor.com/products/en/c...cals/efx-556i-elliptical-fitness-crosstrainer

glypnirsgirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I love an elliptical. I am in my 50s and I have bad knees. The elliptical keeps my knees from getting sore. I can even go pretty fast on it - something that is impossible for me on a treadmill. And the Precors are AWESOME.

elaine

ada903

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree! The elliptical gives you a full body workout without the roughness that running has on your joints. It's awesome.

akp

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Bio force

We have a bio force home gym purchased from craigslist. I have only had it about a month. It is a weight training home gym. Combined with our treadmill, this gives us a great home gym.

Anita

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
No Good At Home.

Does anyone have any great ideas on home exercise equipment?
Gathering dust in various places around here are a generic health rider, a generic ski-motion machine, a leg-swing machine, & a treadmill. None of'm get used except to hang things on -- that, plus making us feel guilty for not using'm.

Signing up for the gym is another story. All winter -- ever since I graduated from physical therapy following total knee replacement surgery -- I went over to the local rec. club & did wimpy workouts & wimpy Nautilus weights on alternate days. Only days I missed were when we went out of town, & if the places where we stayed had workout facilities, I used those.

Winter membership ended Memorial Day weekend, so I signed up with Planet Fitness, which has lots & lots of all cardio & Nautilus machines, & now I go over there faithfully. Workouts are no longer wimpy. I am up to 15 minutes each on the bike & the treadmill & the elliptical on alternate days, & I'm keeping up with 15+15+15 weight-lift repetitions on the various Nautilus-style machines over there. Planet Fitness has 50-60 of those. I limit my alternate-day workouts on those to just 9 machines per time.

Meanwhile, the home exercise equipment just sits there, unused as before.

So it goes.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone!

So, to summarize... one is better off buying the more expensive coat rack and dust collector than just a plain old cheap one??? :)

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone!

So, to summarize... one is better off buying the more expensive coat rack and dust collector than just a plain old cheap one??? :)
:hysterical: We've had exercise machines over the years and they don't get used much. I have an expensive pilates reformer. It takes up a lot of space and at the present time my DH has pushed it up against a wall and piled boxes on top of it.

DH prefers the gym. He likes the energy and the variety of machines and free weights there. I hate the gym because it smells like rubber tires.

I prefer walking outdoors and looking at people's gardens and the views. Of course, that isn't any fun in the winter when there is 2 feet of snow/ice on the ground.

Consider where you are going to place your machine. Do you have enough room to walk around it? Does it match your decor? IOW, do you really want an excerise machine in your living room? your bedroom? your family room? Decide where it is going to live before you buy one because you will be looking at it every day. Do you need a television to keep your mind occupied while you exercise? Can you read while you exercise? Do you prefer to let your mind wander or to meditate? IOW, is the room where you plan to place the machine conducive to making you want to exercise?

Best wishes in deciding what works for you and your family.

Larry6417

TUG Member
Reaction score
I use a treadmill and Bowflex. The treadmill is useful because snow covers the ground about half the year where I live. The Bowflex gym actually does work well (when I use it!).

glypnirsgirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
:hysterical: We've had exercise machines over the years and they don't get used much. I have an expensive pilates reformer. It takes up a lot of space and at the present time my DH has pushed it up against a wall and piled boxes on top of it.

I LOVE the Pilates reformer! I take Pilates classes on a reformer twice a week and I just love it. I have wanted to buy one but my husband says he wants to see if I am still doing Pilates in a year.

Until taking Pilates, I had no idea that I walked on the outside of my feet and that is a large part of the reason my knees and hips were hurting. I have a great instructor, too.

Eve's lunge practically healed my hip pain. My sister's back is improving from doing mermaids. We just love the class.

Is it just too boring to use?

elaine

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
I LOVE the Pilates reformer! I take Pilates classes on a reformer twice a week and I just love it. I have wanted to buy one but my husband says he wants to see if I am still doing Pilates in a year.

Until taking Pilates, I had no idea that I walked on the outside of my feet and that is a large part of the reason my knees and hips were hurting. I have a great instructor, too.

Eve's lunge practically healed my hip pain. My sister's back is improving from doing mermaids. We just love the class.

Is it just too boring to use?

elaine
No, not boring. I like the reformer more than other exercises but I just got out of the habit. I've hired trainers to come to the house a few times so I could relearn the correct form, etc but then life gets in the way and I get out of the habit again.

The thing takes up a lot of space. You need to be able to walk around it--you need room for your arms and legs to extend beyond the edges of the reformer. If you are in a large room or gym, the equipment doesn't seem that big but in a normal sized home, it takes up an entire bedroom. It is longer than a standard twin bed.

I had a room just for it on the main floor so it would be easy for me to use but then we moved my FIL in with us and had to move the reformer down to the basement where it has stayed ever since. It is very bulky and heavy and DH curses every time it gets moved up and down the stairs--which has been several times. I think DH gets more of a workout than I do.;)

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Keeping It Moving 92 Minutes A Week.

Click here for a story saying 92 minutes of moderate activity a week can extend your life by 3 years.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​