• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

how many points do you really need

katarra

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi I am recently new to timeshareing and to tug. So new that I haven't had a chance to even book anything yet. So here is what I would like to know, How many points are sufficient? Just a little background on what we have and what we would like. We are a family with one child, so I would prefer to take vacations during school vacations. But I have no problem with takeing my child out of school for one week. I usually take two major vacations a year. We just recently purchased a points membership through Divi, which only gives me 31,500 points and the other resort we own is a week which can be deposited as points for deposit which will get us 19,000 additional points(kind of jumped in with both feet on this one before I had a TUG education)(we got both of our timeshares off ebay so we have not spent alot of money on purchases). So that will be 50,500 points if i deposit both. So maintenance fees for both would be a total of $739.00. I have an opportunity to buy a gold crown 2br lockoff in a red week in which m/f are $390.00 total. Which is in a points resort but not converted to points yet, but could do so for $3000.00 which would get me 71,000 points which is way better than what i have now all around, or I could just leave it as a week and trade that. We were thinking of selling our origianl week, and keep the Divi and buy the new one and convert to points next year. We usually book our vacations at least a year in advance, and as long as the resort is not a dump we usually don't mind places that are not as fancy. Well I think that is it, I hope I provided enough info. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Linda74

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have 126,000 points and are able to get 4 or 5 weeks out of it by trading for 1br or studio units. We usually only exchange into GC or RID resorts. Most of our trades are 40,000 or below. We have been able to get some unbelievable deals with points and were up until now confined to school vacation weeks in Connecticut as well....but I am retiring from teaching in June and will be spending two weeks in the Greek Isles in October for a cost of 29,000 points....Gold Crown Resorts too!!! So, to answer your question, I think if you could amass about 100,000 points you would have much flexibility. Study the points values in the RCI guide or online and map out when and where you would want to go. See how many points you would need. When your children are small a one bedroom sleeping four is adequate. As they get older, you will need to spend more points for 2 BR units....And when they are the ages of my children, they will be pilfering those points from you for their own vacations!!!!:D

katarra

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I think that i also need more points, but wanted to check with some more experienced people. My husband is okay with us buying the new timeshare but kind of really wants to sell the lesser valued timeshare. I think that the timeshare that would give is 71,000 points for a m/f of $390 is more of a value. Thanks again.

boyblue

TUG Member
Reaction score
18,000 to 20,000 per week will do nicely but more points (40,000 to 60,000) will allow you to go after the best resorts at peak times.

When we had 100,000 points we were able to get 5 weeks (easily) in very nice resorts. It was during shoulder season though.

brucecz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bob :wave: you know that you need at least double the amount of RCI points that you posted. About 300,000 yearly RCI Points is a decent starting point IMHO. But double that amount would be more comfortable for us.

Bruce :whoopie:

CMVer said:
More!!!!!!

bigrick

TUG Member
Reaction score
Points are like weeks are like time are like money. How much do you need? The common answer is "Just a little bit more."

DorotaG

TUG Member
Reaction score
181500 for now... I think it will do for a while! Only get 3 weeks of vacations :bawl: :bawl: