• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Airline Carry-On Regulations

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
I'm flying tomorrow to San Diego.

Am I allowed to take toothpaste and mouthwash in my carry-on luggage?
I don't remember the current rules.

Thanks

Richard

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
MULTIZ321 said:
Am I allowed to take toothpaste and mouthwash in my carry-on luggage?

Unless they've changed in the last 6 days, no.

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't try taking shaving cream either. My husband didn't even think about that one and they confiscated it. Of course, he came home with a three-day stubble which I loved, so I was happy!:D

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Purse sized bottles of lotion are also no-go. It's still very restrictive.

Jimster

TUG Member
Reaction score
regs

I flew twice this weekend with different results. At ORD (chicago), if you had a carry on of any kind they went through it very thoroughly. Most people did not carry on anything and the plane loaded quickly. At MCO (Orlando) it was as if nothing had changed. People walked up with lots of carry ons and i only saw one man get searched and he was of Indian descent. Frankly, I was surprised by MCO because they didn't do much of anything and I was not really happy with that given the current situtation. Of course, if I had my way there would be no carry ons. Have you ever seen what people carry on? If that weren't bad enough, some people carry on everything (including the kitchen sink) and then try to fit it in the overhead compartment. Woe be it, if you should have something in the same compartment. They'll push, shove and cram it in even if it breaks, mangles or destroys what you have brought on. I've seen that happen several times. So when I carry on, I watch what others do very carefully. Toothpaste- pack it in your checked baggage.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
No way ! I would suggest you purchase these items in San Diego.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the replies-

I think it will be easier just to check my luggage.

Richard

Keitht

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It's the inconsistency that drive you mad isn't it! I don't think any of us have a problem with proper security measures - if we know what we can and can't do. It's so frustrating to abide by the rules only to see other people flouting them and getting away with it.

Jeni

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jimster said:
I flew twice this weekend with different results. At ORD (chicago), if you had a carry on of any kind they went through it very thoroughly. Most people did not carry on anything and the plane loaded quickly. At MCO (Orlando) it was as if nothing had changed. People walked up with lots of carry ons and i only saw one man get searched and he was of Indian descent. Frankly, I was surprised by MCO because they didn't do much of anything and I was not really happy with that given the current situtation. Of course, if I had my way there would be no carry ons. Have you ever seen what people carry on? If that weren't bad enough, some people carry on everything (including the kitchen sink) and then try to fit it in the overhead compartment. Woe be it, if you should have something in the same compartment. They'll push, shove and cram it in even if it breaks, mangles or destroys what you have brought on. I've seen that happen several times. So when I carry on, I watch what others do very carefully. Toothpaste- pack it in your checked baggage.

I must have had the tough guys working when I came through MCO on Saturday- not surprised when they had me throw out hand sanitizer that was in the diaper bag, but shocked when I had to toss baby food and the drink in the sippy cup (our son is 18 months), since those items are supposed to be "allowed."

Jeni

tsl

TUG Member
Reaction score
They threw out a bottle of nail polish that I accidently forgot in my purse:confused:

camachinist

TUG Member
Reaction score
Methinks fare sales are in the offing ;)

Just wait until someone makes clothing into a bomb. We'll all fly nekkid :D

Seriously, I'd read the link Dave posted thoroughly and go through every pocket and compartment in both carry-on and checked bags to make sure you're in compliance. No need to make an already stressful flying experience worse.

The Safety and Security forum on FlyerTalk has a lot of the latest details for different airports; watch out for the rhetoric, though; it's pretty brutal in there...

Pat

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last week I flew a bunch of legs. Before I left I carefully went through all my stuff (I only fly with carry-ons) and removed all gels, shaving cream, toothpaste, ointments, etc.

On the fifth leg of the trip, a flight from LAX to SFO, which was the first leg of a flight number to London (that plane wasn't going to London, you had to change planes at SFO to continue on to London), they had the national guard doing secondary inspection at the gate. (after you gave them your boarding pass and were inside the gate, but before the actual jetway.)

I had a toothbrush kit from a W hotel in my toiletry kit. I didn't realize that there was a tiny thing of toothpaste in that box, sealed with a toothbrush in plastic wrap. They found it. Nobody else did, even though at several locations they picked one of my 2 bags for hand inspection.

Solids are fine (deodarant). Powders are fine. Gels and liquids are not, unless it's small quantities of medicine and certain other things that are exempt.

-David

Jollyhols

Reaction score
I guess that lip balm/salve isn't permitted. Has anyone tried taking one on board? A lip salve is quite a firm stick - I wonder if they will throw it out?
I am not looking forward to a 9 hour flight without one.

camachinist

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jollyhols said:
I guess that lip balm/salve isn't permitted. Has anyone tried taking one on board? A lip salve is quite a firm stick - I wonder if they will throw it out?
I am not looking forward to a 9 hour flight without one.
Carmex? ChapStick? Negative....

A bunch of bravo sierra, but negative.

FWIW, I've found staying hydrated and breathing through my nose has eliminated my need for lip balm. When I used to use it all the time, it was like my lips were addicted; go a couple hours without and chapped lips. Can't remember the last time I used it, now that I've finally weened myself off the stuff. Did this last March when doing a bunch of mileage runs, as I was in aircraft for the better part of the month. Longest flight was 14.5 hours.

Pat

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
camachinist said:
Carmex? ChapStick? Negative....

A bunch of bravo sierra, but negative.
I don't think that's accurate. From the TSA link in post #3 above:
You are permitted to bring solid cosmetics and personal hygiene items as such lipstick, lip balm and similar solids. Please remember these items must be solid and not liquid, gel or aerosol.
I think Chapstick falls into the same category as solid-stick deoderants, which are also allowed. I have had my personal items kit examined twice since the new rules went into effect and got the O.K. on Chapstick. (There was some confusion and some items in this category were confiscated in the first few days of the new rules.)

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
I flew out of Allentown on Friday. I had both lipstick and chapstick in my purse and was not asked to discard it. They did, however, open my carryon and take out my 2 arm splints which they checked over for explosives residue. Guess what? They didn't find any. I fly out of Savannah tonight. If anything changes on the chapstick, I will post it.

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
How do you do this, CA Machinist?

"FWIW, I've found staying hydrated .....has eliminated my need for lip balm."

Now that bottled water is forbidden do the airlines keep you hydrated?

I am dreading an upcoming trip to Barbados that involves an overnight in ATL which pre-London I would have had my carryon w/ all my "beauty" essentials to take to the hotel but now I'm not sure how to get by. Maybe in 3 months the rules will be relaxed....

Barb

camachinist

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't speak for others, but I rarely have needed to use the bottle of water I invariably stash in my carry-on.

Since the change in security rules, crews are more cognizant of pax needs for hydration on-board. Some airlines have even been handing out bottled water (or have made it available) in the jetway, from catering stock. IME, whenever I have asked a f/a for water (if the seat belt sign is on) or have requested it in the galley, I've never been turned down. In the premium cabins, my glass is invariably kept full of my favorite beverage....

Given the current security situation, I now am leaving more time to check in and clear security, as well as leaving more connection time (typically 60-90 minutes minimum where possible), to allow for grabbing some food and beverage for consumption prior to boarding.

FWIW, I did 31 hours of flying over a 4 day period in March (mileage run to Australia) and didn't touch the lip balm once :) I did touch multiple bottles of Victoria Bitter in Melbourne, however :D

Pat

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Solids are ok. Gels are not. Solid lipstick and solid chapstick are ok. Gel or soft forms of those are not.

You can still buy water and liquids inside security, but you have to consume them or throw them out before boarding. At JFK, they took the tops from the water bottles when you paid for them.

Apparently, at least at JFK, purchases of duty free liquids is ok. They deliver them to the plane, so you still can't carry them on yourself.

I haven't noticed any longer wait times at security with the new regulations. But I also make sure to get there with plenty of time to spare, even without checking any bags.

-David

Last edited:

camachinist

TUG Member
Reaction score

Jollyhols

Reaction score
Relieved to hear about Chapstick. I think lips probably do get addicted to balm but the dry air of aplane is probably the worst place to try and wean oneself off it!:)

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
While going through security at Lindbergh Field in San Diego on Saturday for my return flight to Fort Lauderdale, a young lady in the next line over from me was being asked to throw away some cosmetics or alternatively step out of the security line and she could mail them. Her protests, which became increasing louder, to the effect that she didn't have enough time to mail them and the cosmetics cost her $80 - and she didn't have $80 to waste - would security get real and be compassionate and let her pass with her cosmetics. Nope. No deal.
She was in tears as her cosmetics went into the trash.

The carry-on landscape has changed.

Richard

labguides

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
In CA, is National Guard still going through carry-on, just prior to entering jetway?

limey

Reaction score
But i bet they let the exploding batteries in the lap tops on.