• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Computer lock-up

dboy1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am having problems with my computer locking up all the time. It only happens whem on the net.I have Windows XP with Norton anti-virus up to date. I have used AD-AWare and deleted all cookies, de-fraged and run disk clean-up. None of these have helped at all. When I delete cookies, One will not delete and says progrm running. Iput windows in safe mode and same thing comes up in cookies. Anyone have any ideas?? Thanks in advance

Keitht

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
What browser and what version?

Is all patching of XP and browser up to date?

Don

TUG Member
Reaction score
Until this past Saturday, I had a brand new Gateway running XP Media Center. Suddenly, it started having problems. It would get a machine_check_error and tell me to reboot if it was the first time for the message or remove any new hardware and software if it wasn't.
I hadn't added any hardware and the software I added was on it for three weeks already. I don't think they were the problem, but I when I tried to go into the safe mode to remove them I got into a boot/boot failure loop I could not get out of at the time. I believe an automatic Windows update was corrupted when it was written to a bad block.
As time went on the problems kept getting worse. In addition to the 1X - 2X a day error above the machine started "losing" the mouse pointer. It would either freeze or disappear but the input from the mouse would still move around the screen. Then the display started screwing up. The day before I boxed it up I noticed the goldfish on my screen saver swimming jerkily. This usually happened when a scanner was working, so I checked it. The destop image was 1.5" off center and vibrating. Then it started flashing on and off, sometimes staying off long enough to show a no signal message.
I called the store's 1-800 number and they put me in touch with the closer store to me. The manager there was willing to take the Gateway back even though I bought it at a different store (his hadn't opened yet). I now have an HP that so far is working fine.

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
I have an older OS, WIN98, and browse with whatever version of IE came with it.

It just can't handle newer sites well. It has problems locking up on TS4Ms, and on TUG when TUG made the move to the bulletin board TS4Ms is using. TS4Ms has a lot of features and at times my PC just can't keep up it seems.

I do all the things it sounds like you do--defrag, clear TIF, cookies, etc.

I specifically avoided NAV05 when they decided to quit supporting older versions, which I had. Several here said it is problematic to totally uninstall NAV and others here discouraged going to NAV05. I finally got a nice young lady at Semantec to help me uninstall and I sensed that she had done it a lot.

A possible contributor to my lock-up problem is that AVG does it's daily update every morning when I am doing my daily visits to the sites I check on.

Last edited:

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Win98 is a fancy version of Win95 where the core technology was designed in about 1993. Thus Win98 is 13 years old. With technology advancing so fast Win98 is in the dark ages. You're very lucky it even works on the web and any other newer programs. I would put a fork in that old dog and go to Vista in 2 months.

Using defrag, clearing cookies, disk clean-up and Ad-aware has little or no effect on the OS. It just makes the machine slightly more responsive. These activities are basically cosmetic.

If you've got some serious problems with hardware "drivers" and operation of the OS, I would suggest you use the original Windows program disk and select the repair option. If that doesn't work select the reinstall Windows option over the existing system (not reformat the disk) and then select the "repair" function as you proceed thru the procedure.

Last edited: