• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

USAir Changes Flights

gerryc28

Reaction score
Haven't used USAir in a few years - always seemed to have delays and changed flights. I had some miles to use up, so booked a first class flight to LAX from ALB through Philly in Jan. for a trip in Nov. Just happened to check on the reservation last night and they changed the flights. Leaving two hours earlier - 6:00 AM - no first class - to Pittsburgh. Same flights coming back, only a 30 minute later departing time. Needless to say, they never notified me or the other two people flying with us. I don't mind giving up the first class to Pitt, but it just irks me they change it without notifying me. Didn't feel like calling, so I emailed them asking what was up. Now I remember why I don't use them.
Just venting, I guess. :)

Gerry

scotlass

TUG Member
Reaction score
As a frequent flyer with USAirways, I received an email telling me the good news and bad news. The good news is that they have completed their changeover with AmericaWest and now their reservations system is in sync. The bad news is that there are still glitches in the system and, since that is their focus right now, I am not surprised they did not notify you. I too have had a schedule change for a flight in July and was not notified. I believe it's true with a lot of airlines that you need to keep checking to see if there are changes when you book very far in advance. It's a whole new world in flying now.

Kay H

TUG Member
Reaction score
I spoke to a rep from US Air this AM re 2 tickets I purchased in Nov for a June flight from Phl to Clt. She told me they will call 30 days before scheduled flight if the time change is more than 10 minutes. She didn't say anything about when they notify you for a flight change and I didn't ask. My problem was that my confirmation # and ff miles # had both been changed and I couldn't access my account.

Kelso

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
They changed mine too.

After reading this I checked my USAir flight in Sept and found that they moved up the first leg 2 hours. If it was a direct flight I wouldn't care that much but since it makes my layover for the connecting flight 2 MORE hours I am not happy at all. Will they allow me to cancel the flight or to pick new flights if I ask?

gerryc28

Reaction score
Kelso,
I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think you can cancel if they change anything. You have to be careful there are flights available for you if you do. That was my problem, so I couldn't cancel.
I do remember a few years back that I was able to change flights at no charge because they changed flight times.

Gerry

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Will they allow me to cancel the flight or to pick new flights if I ask?
US Airways has changed its contract of carriage so that the passenger no longer has the automatic right to get a refund for a paid ticket if a schedule change exceeds a certain time threshold. Nor does the passenger have the automatic right any more to be placed on a better routing after such a schedule change. The current contract of carriage simply states that no refund will be issued on nonrefundable tickets. Period!

However, as a practical matter the airline still has the option of making a refund if it can't accommodate you on flights of your choice.

In your case, if you used FF miles, you should call and explain that the two-hour time change doesn't work well at all. Ask for a different routing. (Before calling, go to US' booking engine to find flights on your travel date that are acceptable.)

If US can't find something acceptable to you (note that the airline might not have available FF seats on the flights you want), you can cancel the award ticket and have your FF miles put back in your account. Whether US will waive the fee normally associated with canceling a FF award reservation is something that you'll have to work out over the phone.

If you didn't use FF miles, follow the same procedure, but you might not be able to get a refund.

Last edited:

talkamotta

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not to make light of your situation. But US Air isnt the only one that changes flights. I bet if there is a survey of which airline does that Delta would be #1.

It still just irritates you. On my return trip from Maz to SLC, Delta thought it would be ok to change the day of my flight. Oh but they have 7 days to tell you. Now if Im down in Mexico, How are they going to notify me?

You are not alone..

Avery

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not to make light of your situation. But US Air isnt the only one that changes flights. I bet if there is a survey of which airline does that Delta would be #1.

It still just irritates you. On my return trip from Maz to SLC, Delta thought it would be ok to change the day of my flight. Oh but they have 7 days to tell you. Now if Im down in Mexico, How are they going to notify me?

You are not alone..

At least Delta notifies you when they make a change. I just looked online for my upcoming Easter flights; our return was completely cancelled, with no substitute made. Our outbound flight was moved up by 1/2 hour, good thing I looked. It took 3 calls to their offshore telephone reps, and over an hour, to get a return flight confirmed. This is one set of flights I won't be volunteering my seats on; I do NOT want any more vouchers from USAir...

Kelso

TUG Member
Reaction score
USAir changed my flight times UPDATE

After reading the posts I decided to contact USAir tonite. I am glad I did. They put me on a United flight that left two hours later. Now I get to leave at 8AM instead of 6 AM Net result is that my layover is 90 minutes less. They offered to do this since there was such a change in my time. I just asked what my options were. After saying no to the ones that USAir flew, she came up with the United one. And lucky me, I automatically get better seating with United because I fly economyplus. US Air and United are in the same group of airlines together. Thought that may help some of you. Good Luck. :D

Last edited:

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
After reading the posts I decided to contact USAir tonite. I am glad I did. They put me on a United flight that left two hours later. Now I get to leave at 8AM instead of 6 AM Net result is that my layover is 90 minutes less. They offered to do this since there was such a change in my time. I just asked what my options were. After saying no to the ones that USAir flew, she came up with the United one. And lucky me, I automatically get better seating with United because I fly economyplus. US Air and United are in the same group of airlines together. Thought that may help some of you. Good Luck. :D

And now the bad news.......how bad do you want your luggage when you arrive? They did the United to USAir flight for a friend of ours last December. Her luggage didn't arrive. When we went to the baggage claim desk the clerk took one look at her flight's and said when they use United this happens all the time. United just doesn't bring the luggage over and puts it on a later flight. Her luggage arrived the next day.

It was the same going home but it was USAir to United. Going home her luggage arrived without issue so I'm assuming the problem was getting United to transfer the luggage over to USAir.

In short, pack an extra pair of underwear just in case. I'm always leary about moving between any set of carriers during a flight. It's just one more thing that can delay my luggage depending on how the ground baggage handers are feeling that day or how far backed up they are with their own flights.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I didn't interpret Kelso's post as stating that the new itinerary will involve a connection from one airline to another. That would be unusual since UA and US have different hub airports. I think it's much more likely that the new flight and the connecting flight are both on UA.

talkamotta

TUG Member
Reaction score
At least Delta notifies you when they make a change. I just looked online for my upcoming Easter flights; our return was completely cancelled, with no substitute made. Our outbound flight was moved up by 1/2 hour, good thing I looked. It took 3 calls to their offshore telephone reps, and over an hour, to get a return flight confirmed. This is one set of flights I won't be volunteering my seats on; I do NOT want any more vouchers from USAir...

No..They dont. Five different flights in the last 4 years. One was a cancel, no notification. This last one to Hawaii, change the days, no notification. 3x to Cancun for the son and his new bride - no notification. My son is a medalion member and no notification on his flights.

Its just a good practice to always check you flights on a bi-weekly basis.

Kelso

TUG Member
Reaction score
Clarification

I reread what I wrote and it wasn't clear. I did get the United flight for the first leg and will still be on USAir for the second leg. So thanks for the heads up. Especially since I have a deliberate 4 hour drive up the coastline of Maine. Now that makes it even scarier. :eek:

Avery

TUG Member
Reaction score
No..They dont. Five different flights in the last 4 years. One was a cancel, no notification. This last one to Hawaii, change the days, no notification. 3x to Cancun for the son and his new bride - no notification. My son is a medalion member and no notification on his flights.

Its just a good practice to always check you flights on a bi-weekly basis.

Well, I guess I'm just lucky... maybe it's because I book my flights online and enter my cell # with the ressie?

At any rate, you're right, we should just all get used to checking ourselves, since we are our own travel agents anyway...

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
I didn't interpret Kelso's post as stating that the new itinerary will involve a connection from one airline to another. That would be unusual since UA and US have different hub airports. I think it's much more likely that the new flight and the connecting flight are both on UA.

I thought it was sort of unusual as well but somehow they have an agreement worked out. Our friend flew a United flight from Denver to Charolette (USAir hub) and then on down to Fort Lauderdale. The route home was the same in reverse.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
I reread what I wrote and it wasn't clear. I did get the United flight for the first leg and will still be on USAir for the second leg. So thanks for the heads up. Especially since I have a deliberate 4 hour drive up the coastline of Maine. Now that makes it even scarier. :eek:

I guess I should mention that USAir did deliver her luggage to the resort we were staying at. Just not as quickly as they had promised. They told her it would be in on a flight a few hours later and she'd have her luggage later that evening. We didn't get it until the next day but at least we did get it. It was delivered by a courier service.

The problem that arouse was she did not have any makeup (TSA restrictions) and had decided not to carry on an luggage for a change of clothing. The USAir policy is not to reimburse unless the luggage is delayed, I think, over 24 hours. Her luggage was delivered in less than 24 hours so no reimbursement for the $$ she choose to spend on basic makeup and a few articles of clothing.

Yes, I did point out we had a washer dryer and she could have washed her clothes. She pointed out she didn't want to sit around nude until they were done. :D

Anne S

TUG Member
Reaction score
UA changed the time of our connecting flight. Would I be able to cancel?

message deleted. Posted in wrong thread.

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
US Air Called Me with a Change

I've actually found US Air to provide adequate notice.

(1) In May, I got a notice in an e-mail. Our layover went from 90 min. to 3 hrs.
... I called and got that fixed with a later departure.

(2) Friday, my cell + land line rang at the same time, both from US Air.
I answered the cell. An automated voice message detailed a new shedule.
... I compared it to the old itinerary. The only difference... The flight #.
-------------------
It didn't happen this time, but with any change, one should check to see
if their seat selections have been deleted and make new ones, if needed.

Kenrabs

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I use US Air frequently and book my flights about 330 days out. I'm use to them changing the flights several times before we leave. I check the status often and if they make a change I don't like I see what is available and call and have them switch to flights that are better for me. On the web site you have to click to accept the change and there is a number to call if you don't want what they gave you.