• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

more RCI points to book home resort than you get??

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I bought a resale resort (ebay, cheap) which is 2 BR GC weeks 24-32 east coast beach floater--the seller either bought as points or converted to points and gets 72,500 points annually---but, according to the RCI points chart, it takes 82,000 points to book into this resort--I called the resort and they said, "yes they have heard from other owners that it takes more to book back into resort through RCI points" and that they recommend to owners who want to use their week to "revert" back to weeks and book directly through the resort to obtain use weeks-----sounds pretty fishy to me!!

I don't really care, b/c I am planning to let it revert back anyway b/c I think the summer beach week will be a better trader deposited as a confirmed week than even 82,000 points.

Anyone ever heard of this crazy system---if I had paid good money for this, I would be pretty ticked off.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You get the average number of points over the season that you float. You are allowed to reserve your own unit for that float season during the priority period regardless of the point values.

The only truth to what you heard is that if you miss the priority period and try to book your own unit later (say, six months out), then you have to pay the going price.

Yes, resorts are not always good sources of information.

jamal

Reaction score
Lower points

I have the exact same situation. I own at summer bay with the points conversion option. What they give me is about 6000 pts less than the chart. No explanation....

Mel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are there a few weeks you can resort through RCI, during your float period? If your ownership involved several possible weeks, RCI has to average them over the accounts of all the members depositing such weeks. I do wonder how that works for resorts that convert to points, though - are the resorts required to deposit a variety of those weeks to RCI, or can they get away with giving RCI only the lowest value among them? I would let such a week revert back too!

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
mine is a summer floater weeks 24-32---all require 83,000 points

to reserve at my resort, it's 83,000 points for any week in the week 24-32 season. If as others said, you can get your home week regardless of point value, then fine---but it just seems a little fishy--get back less from RCI than you put in--oh, now that is sounding familiar--LOL.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am kind of curious about this. What doesn't sound quite right is that the unit you bought floats (just) over weeks 24 to 32. In most cases, there would be no point variance for those weeks. (For example, it would simply cost 82,000 for those weeks.)

Are you sure that the unit you bought floats over just those weeks? Or, does it float over a much greater span of weeks, but you have the right to reserve during those weeks?

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
who knows??

It says underlying deeded week is week 29, but it is "Platinum" floating 24-32. All weeks are floating, they have no fixed weeks. But, 72,500 would be about the average of high, shoulder and low season--that does not seem right when you have the right to reserve high season, and presumably are "giving up" a high season week---in any event, I am going to try out the 72,500 points and then probably let it revert back to a week 24-32 floater "Week", which I think will have better trading power as a straight week.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Elaine,

I must admit, this is beginning to sound a bit fishy.

Normally you get the number of points over which your season floats. (In my own case, my week floats over the full 52 weeks, but, at other resorts, with a very distinct summer and winter season, the float period might be much shorter.) As I mentioned above, if someone at my resort wants a week that is higher than that average, they can get it through RCI as long as they book their week during the home week priority period.

I haven't tried it or experienced this myself, but some people have reported that if you book a week during a lower season, you get to keep the difference between your "average" number of points and the lower amount.

What sounds odd about your case is that if you were to use your week at the resort itself, it only floats during high season (82,000 points). In that case, according to RCI rules, you should get 82,000 points. It doesn't seem right that you should only get the year-long average when you posses a purely high season week.

Before blaming RCI, I have to wonder if your resort isn't doing something fishy -- depositing units with RCI as if they have full year floats, but then sellling prime (Platinum) and non-prime units to their owners.

I have no advice as to what to do. You could make further enquiries to both your resort and RCI. Or, given your long term plans, you could just let it ride and let your week revert to its guaranteed Platinum status within the Weeks system.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
since I only have $700 and closing cost in this--I'll let it ride

sounds very fishy to me---but I can play with 72,500 points (which worked out better for me b/c by the time I closed, all summer weeks were gone anyway and it was still automatic points under the old owner which transferred to me)--so 72,500 is much better than being stuck with nothing for the year, or having to choose an off-season week.
But something still smells in Denmark.

Bill4728

Reaction score
Reservations of your home week at RCI points resorts can be handled 2 ways.

1. During home week reservations. You call the resort and book your home week directly with the resort and RCI isn't involved.

2. During home week reservations. You call the RCI and book your home week and the resort isn't involved at all.

If the first option is how the resort works, it doesn't matter how many points RCI give for your week since RCI isn't involved in reservations involving your home week.

If RCI is the reservation agent, this is when there can be problems.
-Your example is perfect. RCI gives you 73K pts but you need 83K points for your home week. If as others said, you can get your home week regardless of point value but RCI is known to do thing which they shouldn't. They may insist that you spend 83K pts and by the time you get it straight, who knows?
- OR Since RCI is the reservation agent, does that mean you can't rent your home week since you can't rent a week obtained thru RCI? -
- OR Do you need a guest cert if you have a guest stay during your home week. You shouldn't need one but RCI might insist.

Dealing with RCI as my reservation agent would make me unconfortable.

Last edited:

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
From its very inception, there have been hypotheticals about how people might get screwed in Points. All I can say is that to date, these hypotheticals haven't materialized. (Knock on wood.) Unfortunately, quite a number of people who might have benefitted from switching over (and by no means is it true that everyone would - many would not) have been scared off. Too bad.

Having said that, I do wonder about Elaine's resort. If the unit she bought had been assigned a Platinum membership and that membership entitled the owner to a prime season float, then it should be given the higher number of points. Simply being able to reserve back into a prime season (either through the resort or through RCI) isn't good enough. The unit should be getting the higher number of points.

My suspicion still falls with the resort itself. To me it looks like they are simply depositing all their points owners units into RCI as if they all float over the entire year. (One test of this might be if the number of points Elaine's unit has been given is an actual point value for any season. If not, it is a weighted, full year average.)

It is possible that, when the resort converted people, they told the owners of this. (That, in essence, if you had a Platinum week, you will lose some of its value.) We all know how sales people are always completely open and honest about things like this. :rolleyes: But if not...

Finally, one comment on a somewhat different topic. Bill, in his post, mentions two different ways in which resorts might have Points owners reserve their home week. Both exist, but, from the messages on this board, I have only seen one resort complex that I can definitely say uses the first. Yet, that is the far advanateous to owners. (Opinion) We are often suspicous of RCI, but resorts often seem to get a free ride, at least once people get past the sales staff. I think that we need to be a little bit more distrustful of them. and not always presume that everything that is not right is always because of RCI. JMHO

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
the 72,500 must be an average--there is no unit or season that gets this #---also

So, it must be an average of seasons---wonder if the white weeks owners get the average, too? I doubt it!!!
While unit is in points system, I have to reserve thru RCI points, if I let it revert back to Platinum floater, then I reserve thru the resort and bypass RCI--and the resort's member services manager actually told me reverting was the better way to go if I wanted to reserve a home week (wow, an honest TS person). I am strongly leaning towards reverting, then reserving prime week and depositing with RCI on the weeks side--I think I will get more bang for the buck--esp. since I only get 72,500 points instead of 83,000.
Time will tell. I have never used points---maybe they will be fabulous, or work great for us--anyway, I will have 3 years to play with them before I can revert--this ebay purchase was definitely a little adventure!