• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I don't like this (United)

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I went in this morning to print out my boarding pass for a United flight tomorrow morning. I'm getting the message that I'll need to check in with an agent at the airport. I'm not liking this at all! Anyone have any ideas of what this might be happening? The flight was booked with ff miles, which usually doesn't make a difference, and it looks like they are still offering it up for sale on the United website, so I'm stumped. Unless I'm being selected for random screening. :annoyed:

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
There are several possibilities. You have hit on the most likely reason, thee are other possible explanations, including:

- If you don't yet have a seat assignment, it may be that the flight is oversold (or almost full) and remaining seat assignments are under airport control.

- It's possible that there has been an equipment change, requiring some change to seat assignments. Although such a change is usually noted as a "schedule change" in your UA online itinerary, it might not be so listed if the change was made yesterday or today.

- Although you have a reservation, it's at least possible that there was an error in processing your ticket and the ticket hasn't actually been issued. If you can look at your online itinerary and see a ticket #, starting with "016", the ticket has been issued. If not, prepare for what could be a long wait at the check-in counter tomorrow while it gets sorted out. And that leads me to....

...my recommendation: I would call UA and ask "Why?" If the rep doesn't know, ask to speak to a supervisor who might be able to figure it out. If you get the dreaded India call center on the line, you may have no choice but to hang up and try again (and again and again).

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is the second time I've seen seats referred to as being under "airport control". What does THAT mean and why would they separate seat assignment from the rest of the system?

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
- If you don't yet have a seat assignment, it may be that the flight is oversold (or almost full) and remaining seat assignments are under airport control.
I have seat assignments and status online shows confirmed.

- It's possible that there has been an equipment change, requiring some change to seat assignments. Although such a change is usually noted as a "schedule change" in your UA online itinerary, it might not be so listed if the change was made yesterday or today.
No schedule change shown.

- Although you have a reservation, it's at least possible that there was an error in processing your ticket and the ticket hasn't actually been issued. If you can look at your online itinerary and see a ticket #, starting with "016", the ticket has been issued. If not, prepare for what could be a long wait at the check-in counter tomorrow while it gets sorted out. And that leads me to....
I do have a ticket number starting with 016.

...my recommendation: I would call UA and ask "Why?" If the rep doesn't know, ask to speak to a supervisor who might be able to figure it out. If you get the dreaded India call center on the line, you may have no choice but to hang up and try again (and again and again).
Sigh..........I was hoping not to have to do this. I've found that most of the time lately when I've dealt with their agents they have been of absolutely no help. But, I can always try.

Thanks much for your input. I feel a little better anyway. :rolleyes:

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have had this happen, and for me it was for a "random" security check (at least that's what were told).

I have two assumptions, one, it was truly a random selection, or two, my name matches on a security check list :eek:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Just got off the phone with the "helpful" :annoyed: United agent and her supervisor. All they could tell me was that it was a computer generated "error" and they can't override it. I have to go see an agent, can't even use the self serve kiosk. I am soooo :wall: :wall: :wall:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
We will be interested in your report of what happens at the airport tomorrow....

I can already predict.......long lines, frustration..........followed by more lines through security and then most probably the joy of being pulled out for extra security screening. I told the supervisor that United was working very hard to lose a long time loyal customer. :mad:

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure it's a UA problem, despite what you were told. It could be a security check, as you originally suggested, which would be out of UA's hands.

I have flown over 1.5 million miles on UA and currently fly just over 100,000 miles per year on UA. They mess up sometimes, but I don't think any more so than any of the other U.S. legacy carriers.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I generally like United and they are usually my carrier of choice. It's just been lately that I've gotten so frustrated with them. And most of it has to do with trying to deal with their "live" agents. I would so much rather just deal with the website.

debraxh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Same thing happened to us on our recent ATA flight. I almost exploded on the phone with them the night prior, as it took about an hour for them to tell me it was due to "random security".

We got to the airport a little early just in case, and the ticket counter agent was really nice although it took her quite a while to get us released because a supervisor needed to do it and she was busy at the gate. She told us it was probably because one of our names matched someone on "the list".

Aside from no boarding pass in advance we didn't get any additional security screening so who knows what it was all about. We didn't even try web checkin on our return flight so don't know if it would have been a problem or not.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I doubt very much that my name is on some "list" as I've flown several times in the last few months, most recently yesterday. This is the first time in a long, long time that I've had any difficulties. That's why I was so surprised. I'm sure the agent will be very nice. My frustration is with how long it will most likely take me to get to that person. I also wondered who the poor schmucks :ignore: were who had to wait in the in line for an agent. Now I know. :shrug:

SherryS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I fly a lot.....but when this happened to me, it WAS the dreaded "random" security check! Just lucky, I guess!

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I doubt very much that my name is on some "list" as I've flown several times in the last few months, most recently yesterday. This is the first time in a long, long time that I've had any difficulties. That's why I was so surprised. I'm sure the agent will be very nice. My frustration is with how long it will most likely take me to get to that person. I also wondered who the poor schmucks :ignore: were who had to wait in the in line for an agent. Now I know. :shrug:

If Ted Kennedy's name can get on a list, I suppose anyone else's can too.

Lately I think they feel overweight middle aged midwesterners are terrorist in disguise as I seem to get singled out a little to often for it to be compelely random.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Lately I think they feel overweight middle aged midwesterners are terrorist in disguise as I seem to get singled out a little to often for it to be compelely random.

Well, I only fit one of those three. :ignore:

falmouth3

TUG Member
Reaction score
The last time I saw that, I needed to get a boarding pass from the ticket agent because it was a full flight, even though I had a seat assignment. I ended up getting exactly the seat I had reserved. However, it would be a good idea to get to the airport good and early.

Sue

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
I had this happen to me twice. Both times they wouldn't tell me anything over the phone. Once I was told it was because another passenger and I had the same name. The second time it was for the dreaded SSSS. The strange thing is that on a US flight, there was another passenger with the same name. I was able to check in online the night before. She checked in at the counter and they just reprinted MY boarding pass and gave it to her. So I'm not sure I believe the first excuse.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Possibly oversold. If I were you, I'd get ther about an hour earlier than normal. If oversold, the early birds get the seats first.

GEORGE

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Possibly oversold. If I were you, I'd get ther about an hour earlier than normal. If oversold, the early birds get the seats first.

GEORGE

Well, I'm going with dh who is on a different flight, different airline leaving about the same time. We're planning on getting to the airport around 4:45 a.m. I don't think things open up much before then, and I'm not sure I could talk him into leaving any earlier. I guess I'll just take my chances. The agent and her supervisor both assured me I had a ticket, and a seat. Hope they knew at least that much.

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
Don't know if this will help. I went to check-in my family of 4 last year and the online system only let me check in 3 of us. I called and UA said sorry, have to check in at the airport. Someone on TUG suggested that I get a SkyCap to check the last person in, which I did, and it worked out great!

Good luck!

Jimster

TUG Member
Reaction score
it happened to me

United made me see an agent too. I was a security check. One other possibility is if your seat is the one that the air marshall is going to be using.

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
When you get to the airport try the Easy Checkin machine first. It may work, it may not.

-David

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Update. Actually United did me a "favor" with this. :D The line for an agent was much shorter than the kiosk lines. I got my bag checked and my boarding pass (no additional screening, got the seats I was assigned) and was through security very quickly. Absolutely no problems. And I'll still never know what prompted the "random computer selection".

DougH

TUG Member
Reaction score
And I'll still never know what prompted the "random computer selection".

I helped design the CAPPS system for several airlines. If you were indeed a 'random' choice, nothing prompted it. When we began the CAPPS profiling process, the ACLU pitched a fit saying that it unfairly targeted sectors of our society based on ethnic background.

So, in order to appease them, we added a new random passenger selector that was exactly that...totally random. Thus, no matter your racial, ethnic, or any other characteristic, you can still be selected for 'enhanced' processing. My 9 year old daughter was the recipient of this process on our recent trip to Kauai ! So...nobody is exempt...unless of course they have been identified as an infant or other similar type passenger.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I don't think that was it, Doug. She didn't have the dreaded SSSS on her boarding pass and didn't have to go through the enhanced security procedures. Thus, unless you have an explanation, it's still a mystery as to why she was unable to check in online.