• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Royal Resorts, when did this start?

BSQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
And what was really the point to it?

Monday Morning (yes, Labor Day), I received an “urgent” message to call the toll free Royal Resorts number, they needed to talk to me regarding my upcoming interval. And gave a reference number (which is that newfangled number that’s not your member number) :rolleyes:

So I’m thinking gosh I better call. Maybe they have to move us from our villa. So I call, explain the message I got, give the gal my “reference” number. And she says “I see you own week 39, Are you planning to use your villa this year?” I chuckled (was certain this couldn’t be the only reason for the call) and said “ummm, yes?” And then she goes to wrap up the call. So I ask what was the point of this call? And nothing in the response made sense, it was all very disjointed. And had me totally confused. (partially because it was a holiday weekend and my brain was in off mode).

I’ve been a member for just about 20 years. Only this past year have I been getting bombarded by those silly little postcards, random phone calls … is this just marketing going into overdrive? We’re they hoping to get my villa into their rental pool? Did we have an "Opt Out" that I missed somewhere along the way?

It was a weird way to start the morning.

launes

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have been getting those same phone calls for at least 5 years. Thought that calls for the past 3 years might have indicated a problem with the weeks we were renting in addition to our own. Caller was very cordial & I did not consider it a problem or an imposition.

KarenLK

TUG Member
Reaction score
My brother took a similar call for me a week ago or so, for my week 38. I think they just want to know if you are coming or not, and if not, maybe they want the week in their rental pool. This is not the first time I have had this type of call.

MikeS

Reaction score
I got the same call last March about our Royal Hacienda wk 10. They talked me into giving them my lockoff unit for an II deposit. I didn't ask enough questions at the time, but took the offer as we hadn't found a renter for it. The II deposit turned out to be a studio from Merida, not much in the way of trading power. Next time I'll deposit it myself.

mike

akachop

Reaction score
I have my own theory regarding this as it has happened to me as well. Sometimes members who own multiple weeks do internal trades. We bought a week in May at the Islander years ago before we had kids. SInce having children, we bought another week at the Sands in April. We deposit our May week at the Islander into the internal trade pool so that we can get another week in April back to back with our week at the Sands. It is much easier to not have to switch rooms so I think they call to see if the owners themselves will be using the villa for that second week. If the owners are coming then we have to move, but if they are not, then we get to stay in the same villa that we occupied for the first week. Often we do not know until the day before the week is over whether or not we have to pack up and move.

craigchams

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have weeks 34 & 35 at the Sands and got a call about a week before we left. I think they were trying to determine how many people to expect because it was right after hurricane Dean. All they asked was if we were coming down.

frankhi

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got the call too, they gave me a 2br at the Caribbean instead of the 1 br at the Islander that I had.

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I got the call too, they gave me a 2br at the Caribbean instead of the 1 br at the Islander that I had.

Do you know why? Are you the owner or renter of the Islander 1br, or was it an exchange, or ?? Did you ask for an upgrade?

frankhi

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's an (II) exchange, they just said their was a problem with my reservation at the Islander.

RFW

TUG Member
Reaction score
Monday Morning (yes, Labor Day), I received an “urgent” message to call the toll free Royal Resorts number, they needed to talk to me regarding my upcoming interval.
QUOTE]

I started getting these calls about 3 years ago. The first time I got the call, I was also concerned that there was some sort of problem. It does turn out that they are just trying to find out if you are using the week. If you are not, or are undecided at the time of the call, they will ususally give you a marketing talk about renting it.
I think at some point they decided that owners often just left the week vacant if they are not using it, and saw the opportunity to make a buck, either thru the rental pool or thru the "Royal Resorts Vacations" operation.

jschmidt

Reaction score
About two week after I received a call from Royal Resorts and confirmed that I would be using my villa, the 6” x 8-1/2” post cards started coming. They promote using Thomas Moore for flight travel and airport transfers.

They also are promoting a new deal (at least to me) called Royal Club Vacations that allows you to book additional nights and packages for your friends and family so they can vacation with you.

KarenLK

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got a call for week 11 next year. I also own the same unit for week 12, so I will probably get another call!