• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Carded at 68

Mimi39

TUG Member
Reaction score
Two weeks ago at the Top of Waikiki restaurant we were asked for ID when we ordered a drink, I'm 68 and my husband is 79. I felt we were being made fun of due to our advanced age, but inorder not to embarrass my husband I went along with it rather than demanding to speak to the manager, which is what I wanted to do. Later in the week we went to an Indian restaurant, Bombay Cuisine, and the same thing happened there. This didn't happen at any other restaurant, when I bought a bottle of wine at the ABC store nor on any of our previous trips to Hawaii. Does the state of Hawaii have some new, strange law the requires random ID checks on people purchasing alcohol? Has this happened to anyone else?

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know about Hawaii, but a local supermarket chain has a policy that everyone must be carded regardless of their age. They found that this relieves their employees of any hassles when they card someone who becomes indignent about being ten years over the age limit (or whatever). Just tell customers that we card everyone. At first it seemed strange, but, now everyone is used to it and the policy works well.

joycapecod

TUG Member
Reaction score
My 27 YO son worked part time at a package store. They were REQUIRED to ask for ID from everyone regardless of age to buy liquor or tabbaco. Several years ago the store got "busted" by selling beer to an underage undercover police officer trainee. The store was fined several thousands of dollars and lost their license for seven days. We live in a seasonal community and the loss of license was during a July week. From what I understand the lose of revenue was very painful. Now, it does not matter if you are 100 and my son knows you, he would have to request ID.

Do I agree, no, but I am not the business owner. My son though it funny and he said some of the looks he got was priceless, but he needed to ask everyone. If that person did not produce a valid ID he could not and would not sell to them.

Joy

nazclk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Damn honey if I were you I would send him a thank you card :hysterical:

falmouth3

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
A few years ago my company sponsored a party at a billiards hall. One of my co-workers was in his 60's and he was so flattered that they asked for his ID - until he found out that they were checking everyone's.

EAM

TUG Member
Reaction score
We went to an outdoor concert a few years ago and there they had a policy of carding everyone.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just came back from Hawaii and never was carded when I ordered a drink.

But I am like some of the others....at 52, I would have been happy to have been carded! :D

tmartin1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Even though I would probably find it humorous to be carded, I wouldn't find it the least bit funny if I didn't have my ID on me at the time and couldn't enjoy a nice glass of wine with my dinner. It's VERY obvious I'm over 21 and at some point, common sense should prevail.

I would hope a quick talk to the manager would result in a good outcome.

Theresa

rifleman69

TUG Member
Reaction score
Carding everyone = decreasing their liability. Makes total business sense.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
When I was in my mid-40s a co-worker in her late 20's and I stopped at a grocery store to pick up some beer for our company softball team. I got carded; she didn't. And she was offended.

After the game it led to an interesting discussion about what is the age at which being carded stops being an insult and starts being a compliment.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Never (Yet) Been Carded For Sr. Citz. Discount.

A long time ago I got carded at 7-Eleven when I was checking out with a 6-pak of Budweiser at age 40. Who'd a-thunk?

However that may be, I have never yet been asked to whip out I.D. to document eligibility for sr. citz. discount at Arby's, etc., or at McDonald's for sr. citz. coffee.

Some timeshare tour headhunters we've encountered apply an age limit in signing up prospects to take timeshare tours for freebies -- & some also require prospects to be employed, which I'm not (just an old retired guy goofing off 24-7-365).

Once in Orlando FL, I called a headhunter's attention to the employment requirement, told him I don't meet it, & asked if that ruled me out. He called somebody at the timeshare, explained his prospect's retired-bureaucrat status, got an OK, collected our $20 deposit, handed over our official tour invitation, & we were good to go. We went ahead & took the tour, listened politely to the sales pitch, said No Thanks, collected our freebies, & went on our way.

No doubt something similar might be in the cards for us regarding the freebie-tour age issue now that we're pushing 66. We'll see, eh?

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Even though I would probably find it humorous to be carded, I wouldn't find it the least bit funny if I didn't have my ID on me at the time and couldn't enjoy a nice glass of wine with my dinner. It's VERY obvious I'm over 21 and at some point, common sense should prevail.

I would hope a quick talk to the manager would result in a good outcome.

Theresa

This happened to my wife and its a pain in the --- to have to wait for a table, get seated and order a drink and be denied because the ID is in the trunk of the rental car half a mile away. The waitress was only doing her job but its very obvious that we are all over 50. DW had to wait for management to ok her so she missed the first round. If they wouldnt have served her we would have left.

Mimi39

TUG Member
Reaction score
The problem was -- not everyone was asked for ID, since I was annoyed I did look around and did not see other people being carded, also this was a upscale restaurant not a bar or store where teenagers would be likely to try to score a Bud Lite.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
You must look like you are still 18 years old and that is very nice.

sandra kraft

TUG Member
Reaction score
asking for ID???

The problem was -- not everyone was asked for ID, since I was annoyed I did look around and did not see other people being carded, also this was a upscale restaurant not a bar or store where teenagers would be likely to try to score a Bud Lite.

We took a Hanna tour and stopped at the winery on the way back. I was going to purchase several bottles of wine. I had put my credit card in my pocket before we left but not wanting to hassle a purse or wallet.....that was it! When I went to pay for the wine at the winery they wanted ID. Hey, I am on Medicare, OK? I had no ID.........I smiled but.... no sale. I found the same wine at Safeway at a lower price. Guess they did me a favor.

Kenrabs

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I work part time in a package store and with the way laws are places have instituted an ID everyone approach to avoid poor judgment by their employees. It is a hassle but a small one considering the fines that they can receive.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
We took a Hanna tour and stopped at the winery on the way back. I was going to purchase several bottles of wine. I had put my credit card in my pocket before we left but not wanting to hassle a purse or wallet.....that was it! When I went to pay for the wine at the winery they wanted ID. Hey, I am on Medicare, OK? I had no ID.........I smiled but.... no sale. I found the same wine at Safeway at a lower price. Guess they did me a favor.

Having been the victim of credit card ID theft where someone made a copy of my credit card, I feel every store should ask for ID with a CC sale. I've found that in the tourist destinations of Branson and Vegas we're often asked to see our ID with most sales. In both cities many gas stations also require that you punch in your zip code before they'll pump gas.

Now, if they were carding some but not carding everyone, I would be more than a little ticked off and would probably choose to leave. If it's everyone they're carding then fine, I can understand and live with that. But, if they're just picking and choosing who they card and they decide to card either me or my wife I could very easily take it to be discriminatory on the part of the restaurant and vote with my feet.