• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Microwave turns itself off during cooking cycle

KarenLK

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last night this happened for the second time. I was cooking Rice-a-Roni, when all of a sudden the thing went dead -- no power at all. The rice was nearly done, but not quite. I went to check to see if a circuit breaker had tripped, but no.
We went ahead and ate the not-quite-done rice, and all of a sudden I heard the microwave make a clicking sound, and it was alive again.
What happened???

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
I think it overheated and shut itself off for safety. After it cooled, the thermal switch reset itself. My whole-house fan has taken to doing this recently. It'll run for two hours, shut itself off for three minutes, and start back up.

Or it's the aliens.

jlr10

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had this happen to my microwave and it was caused by something falling against the vent. Once I saw that and cleared the vent to get air again it worked fine.

borntotravel

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would get it checked or replace it, I don't trust microwaves anymore. We had a nice GE over the range microwave that was only 5 years old that caught on fire on the inside while it was on reheat for 60 seconds. I'm glad I was standing right in front of it. There was no metal inside, it just caught fire from inside wall - scarey! Didn't have any problems before and I don't know why it happened, but it sure made me thankful that it was me it happened to and not my 10 yr old daughter!

Don

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with isisdave. Our over the range MW will cut out if we try to pop two bags of popcorn without a cooling off period. It will cook for a longer time (no shut offs yet) if we are cooking other things.
Our over the range MW does not have an exhaust fan like our previous free standing ones did, so it tends to run hotter in the chamber. If yours is over the range, you might try running the stove fans. They will suck a little of the heat out of the MW cooking chamber.

KarenLK

TUG Member
Reaction score
It did it again last night. I was cooking packaged AuGratin potatoes, and there was a lot of steam. I think the other time it was Rice-a-Roni...same thing, lots of steam.

Don

TUG Member
Reaction score
And it comes back on after five to ten minutes, right? Sounds like the over temperature sensor is taking it out.