• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Avoiding Spring Break at WDW

Mary

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since I have no children and desire to avoid the little ones and as much of the crowds as possilbe, when is the best time to go? I was thinking to later than the 1st week in March, does this sound right? I remember someone some years back posting most of the spring break schedules for the US. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks, Mary

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
See the Spring Vacation sticky thread at the top of the TUG Lounge forum for a list of representative spring break weeks by state. That should guide you as to the weeks that you will want to avoid for 2009. Because school vacation dates vary by year in many states, that list should be used only for 2009.

lprstn

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just make sure you check to see when the special events are too... Lots of great information on www.mousebuzz.com

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
To avoid kids, go when they are in school. If you want really great weather, go in late April, October, or November (not Thanksgiving week).

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
To avoid kids, go when they are in school. If you want really great weather, go in late April, October, or November (not Thanksgiving week).

To avoid kids, you need to know when "Jersey Week" is. That's when the NJ teachers union convention is and they get a few days off, so a lot head to WDW for the week. When I first got my DVC points I thought Jersey week was some sort of ESPN promotion to drum up attendance. :hysterical:

I think it's the first week in November.

From what I have seen of DVC deposits in II, the week of 11/15 might be good to go. You'll get out right when us early Thanksgiving arrivals show up.

Reaction score
Yay Jersey Week!

This year we are off Nov 4 to vote, have school the 5th, NJEA convention is Nov 6 and 7, have school the 10, and off the 11 for Veterans Day. That's my local district. I hear some districts are off the whole week of Nov 3- 7.

And for the people that complain that teachers are off for convention with pay- we're not. We're contracted for 185 days, and those two days are not included. Some districts have been tossing around the idea of if you don't go to convention you have to work, but they'd have to pay us overtime. Plus, the parents wouldn't stand for it- they're the ones headed to Disney!

Holly

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We like October only one national holiday (Columbus Day). Lines are very short at WDW.

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
This year we are off Nov 4 to vote, have school the 5th, NJEA convention is Nov 6 and 7, have school the 10, and off the 11 for Veterans Day. That's my local district. I hear some districts are off the whole week of Nov 3- 7.

And for the people that complain that teachers are off for convention with pay- we're not. We're contracted for 185 days, and those two days are not included. Some districts have been tossing around the idea of if you don't go to convention you have to work, but they'd have to pay us overtime. Plus, the parents wouldn't stand for it- they're the ones headed to Disney!

Holly

I'm in Ohio and we get election day off too, elementary kids used to get that Friday off for conferences. Teachers hated that week, so they have moved conference day to the following Friday. 2 -4 day weeks work better according to the higher ups.

Just waiting for my 6th grader(Jr. High)to start sulking his younger brother gettting the day off. :rofl: Have to remind him he ends school a day earlier in June.

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The whole month of May is wonderful and the parks are not crowded. The best time to go to avoid crowds is September and January. Of course it is HOT in Sept and COLD in January. The shoulder seasons are the first weeks in Nov, October, May and the beginning of June.

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
I've been twice during the first two weeks of May and it was fantastic. There were no crowds at any of the parks and the weather was just right. Hot but not ridiculously humid yet. The end of May is when colleges and southern schools start to get out, so it picks up then.

pgnewarkboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Check the website called "the weather underground". They give historical weather data for places all over the country. You will find out average temps and rainfall for the period you desire. My personal experience has been that Orlando can be quite chilly in March. If you are not interested in water parks or outdoor pools that probably would not be an issue.

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been twice during the first two weeks of May and it was fantastic. There were no crowds at any of the parks and the weather was just right. Hot but not ridiculously humid yet. The end of May is when colleges and southern schools start to get out, so it picks up then.

We went the first weekend in May 2 years ago. It was great! Hot but not unbearable. Rode SM 2x in a row one night at MK!

Mary

TUG Member
Reaction score
See the Spring Vacation sticky thread at the top of the TUG Lounge forum for a list of representative spring break weeks by state. That should guide you as to the weeks that you will want to avoid for 2009. Because school vacation dates vary by year in many states, that list should be used only for 2009.

Thanks for everybody's input. I was unaware of the sticky and will use it in the future. I used to be stationed in Tampa so I am quite aware of the heat and humidity. Since I live in AZ, it's obviously not the heat that kills me. For some reason I cannot deal with much more than 10% humidity when mixed in with high heat (I lived in Seattle for over 40 years and even the summers there were too humid for me) so I knew that my window for traveling was limited. Plus I start nursing school in April so I am limited to the end of February to the end of March and wanted to avoid as many Spring Breakers as possible. Thanks again for all the help.

Mary