• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Someone took my user name

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
On the old board, I was "Roger". I have had that name since 1996 and have established at least some identity on the board. As the title indicates, someone grabbed that user name within hours of the inception of the new board. Can anything be done to reestablish who Roger really is?

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
There is no way for us to police this, so it's first come first served.

Why not send a PM (private message) to Roger and see if he's willing to relinquish the name? If I hear from both of you we can work it out.

Jestjoan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good luck!

geoand

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is post of support. I hope the original Roger from Tug is able to get his identiy back. :)

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Perhaps this is just a glitch on the board. When I tried to register as "Roger" I received the message that the name was already in use (and given an opportunity to use my password). Now, when I look at the membership list, there is no "Roger" listed. (I still am not able to register under that name.)

I am emailing Doug (The Makai Guy) to see if he can help figure out what is happening.

Strong1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Roger

If I understand correctly, the new "Roger" won't show up in the Members List until he posts something. That could be why the name is taken but he is not showing up in the list.

Hope you get your name back! :rolleyes:

davesdog

TUG Member
Reaction score
I must say that stinks.... Now that this is like the disboard, and flyertalk. More people will probably visit around those sight also.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It appears that Strong1 is correct. I can't see "Roger" in the member list because whomever took the name has not posted. I think it best if everyone presume that someone just stumbled into taking their own name and that there was no deliberate attempt to userpt someone's longstanding user name.

In that spirit, I sent the following "private message." (Apparently, private messages can be posted to the username "Roger." I am also posting the message here just in case the new "Roger" is unaware of how to receive and answer private messages. I confess that I am not sure yet.):

I have been a member of TUG since 1996 and a frequent contributor to the TUG bulletin board. During that period of time, I have come to be known as "Roger" (my username over two prior versions of the bulletin board). People on TUG (for better or worse) have come to associate any message with that user name as mine own. Thus, you can imagine my surprise when, on the first day that the third version of the TUG board was launched, I went to register under what has become my identity only to find that the user name "Roger" had already been taken.

While I realize that I have no "legal right" to this user name, I respectfully request that you contanct Doug Wilson and ask that you be given a new user name so that "Roger" can be returned to its original bearer.

Thanks for the consideration.
"Roger"

romark

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rrrroger

Roger,
I hope you get your "identity" back. But if you don't, I'll still look for interesting posts from Rrrr!

Bob

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
Maybe somebody took your old ID just to cut down on e-mail traffic. ;)

Sunny4me

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Roger

The same thing happened to me.

Maybe you could register as 'TheRealRoger' and then we'll all know who you are! :D

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Well, I have to admit that I was tempted to sign up as TonyG or Fern or Wonka.... or even Fletch!

As it is, I shortened my name a bit.

Hope you get your Roger back!

Deb

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Roger, just become Rogerrrrrr. We'll know it's you.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
DebBrown said:
Well, I have to admit that I was tempted to sign up as TonyG or Fern or Wonka.... or even Fletch!

Deb

One of my passing thoughts was that if I grabbed the name "Madge" the administrators would figure out some way to get my real user name back. :cool:

Realistically, I'll never see my old user name again. It went so fast that I knew it didn't happen by accident. I'm just trying to figure out what an appropriate new name would be. The Rrrr was just something to get me on the board. (I enjoyed Patri's suggestion, but I'd never be able to type it correctly. I would always be missing or adding one too many "r's")

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Best New Name

Go for "Original Roger", "Real Roger" or "Roger the First". It's too bad if someone actually purposely took it but life goes on. I wanted GinGin but decided against it...

teachingmyown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Or Roger1? Or IamRoger? Or Rojer?

Hey, we could have a "Pick a Name for Roger" contest and give away a free week at that mud-swamp place we're always reading about... with all-u-care-2-eat boiled pizza!

:D

Jaybee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Way to go, Rog!

Roger, I've been following this thread with 'bated breath, and I'm happy to see that, by hook, or by crook, you have regained your identity. Hip-Hip-Hooray!
It's also nice to see that we all seem to be reunited on the board. I was having withdrawal symptoms.... ;)

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Closure...

Well, the user name

Roger​

is still off limits to me, but as you can see the user name

"Roger"​

works. (Who would have thunk it... I was sure that the quote marks would have been forbidden symbols within a user name.)

In any case, it feels good to be me again. I confess that I am a little embarassed to see that this change has moved me to the very top of the membership list. But then again, who knows. Maybe this can become a trend. Anyone who is a veteran of from two TUG boards back (Fern, Makai Guy, Maz, etc.) gets to have their user name in quotes ("Fern" "Makai Guy" "Maz" etc.) in recognition of their perserverence. (I don't think Doug is going to be happy to read this suggestion since the administrators would be the ones to make the changes.)

In any case, thanks to all of you who have offered your comments of support, either publicly or privately. It is no mystery to me why TUG endures. It has some great members.

jlf58

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I took it already :) ( yes, I am the REAL Fletch )

Maybe the new Roger at least has an email address which would be a step up ! LOL

DebBrown said:

Deb

Last edited:

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Eeeeeech, Fletch (or "Fletch")... thought that you must have died several years ago. Good to see your name (and your needle) again. Hope you get to drop in occassionally. Miss your humor.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Dead!!!!

Roger said:
Eeeeeech, Fletch (or "Fletch")... thought that you must have died several years ago.
I can attest that he is still alive :rolleyes: ......

Roger, I mean "Roger"...glad you have your identity back :p .....

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fletch said:
Sorry, I took it already :) ( yes, I am the REAL Fletch )

LOL

There can only be one "Fletch", so it was a good idea to sign up to preserve the name. It's kind of like the name being retired into the TUG Hall of Fame.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
When Roger innocently posts on TUG, no one better chide him. Welcome the new boy into our midst. Maybe "Roger" can take him under his wing.