• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What do travelers like about the Caribbean?

Carl D

Reaction score
I have spent time on many of the islands, and I dread having to go there.
I find them extremely impoverished, rather dirty, and very expensive. Just to make a cell call is nearly $2/minute.

I'm not a fan of Mexico either, but at least the top tier resorts are nice. In addition, you don't have to stray to have fun and get food.

Please, for those of you that consider the Caribbean to be paradise, let me know what I'm missing.
I guess if you like to dive, or snorkel it's okay. I will admit the weather is near perfect, but other than that??...

Janis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Gorgeous water, friendly people, soft sand, great food, gracious hospitality, warm weather, gaining perspective on the world outside your door, palm trees, snorkeling, tropical fruit, meeting folks from different countries ...

brother coony

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have spent time on many of the islands, and I dread having to go there.
I find them extremely impoverished, rather dirty, and very expensive. Just to make a cell call is nearly $2/minute.[/quoteee]

Have you check how many in your state have lost there homes and and or now homeless, sleeping on the street ect. out of work no income
we now have more Impoverished people that the total population of the Caribbean, (Mexico is not in the Caribbean) cancun is, and its an Island own by Mexico like Hawaii is an island but part of Good US of A
I would say more but Janis said it best, read her post again:doh:

Last edited by a moderator:

Carl D

Reaction score
Have you check how many in your state have lost there homes and and or now homeless, sleeping on the street ect. out of work no income
we now have more Impoverished people that the total population of the Caribbean, (Mexico is not in the Caribbean) cancun is, and its an Island own by Mexico like Hawaii is an island but part of Good US of A
Well... I have driven around every major US city, and many secondary cities. I have yet to see anything that looks like most Caribbean cities. In short, they are a dump. Please don't quote total numbers, as they mean nothing. We really need percentages.

I do understand the blue water, great weather, reefs for diving ect...
After that is done, the downtown districts of these islands are, well, IMO gross.

For those who only care about beaches and diving, I do see your point. That said, returning to your "hotel" can be a real adventure. Are the TS better?? Perhaps that's something I'm over looking.

Of course, your opinion may differ. That is why I asked.

Last edited:

mecllap

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, many islands in the Caribbean have poverty out in the open, whereas here, we don't seem to see it in the same way -- it is here as well. One of the reasons to travel is to learn more about how the world really is (have you seen Slumdog Millionaire?).

If you want to be in the Caribbean for all that is wonderful about it and not be faced with the reality of poverty that exists in much/most of the world -- go to Grand Cayman.

rosebud5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Carl, Where are you from? If you look for filth and poverty, your going to find it, no matter where you are. Those of us that go to the Carribean, look for the beauty within the island, the beauty of the beaches, the weather and yes, for most part, the locals. Just getting away from the real world for a week or so, away from the pressures of work and the day to day grind.

Mayve the hot weather, ocean and beach life just isn't your cup of tee. Where do you enjoy going?

rachel

TUG Member
Reaction score
What we consider poverty on these islands is also lifestyle. We have visited many an island. I have fallen in love with all. I think maybe i should have been born in a different place and at a different time.

Island life is for me. The water, the sand but above all, the people. We have traveled the backroads of Jamaica, I am enthralled with their culture. The roadside stands. The shacks on the beach. The sugar cane fields. The swaying palms. Have sampled such wonderful food from conch, to jerk, to stewed goat, meat patties, kalik, redstripe, amstel bright, the list goes on and on. Have seen the people living in the harshest conditions but with always a smile. Have been to the over touristy of nassau to the beautiful secluded waters of Great exuma. Have visited Aruba, Grand cayman, antigua.

What some call poverty is simply a way of life. I dream of this simple way of life.
Soon but not soon enough I will be amongst the people of the caribbean. My dream is to own a home and live my days amongst my caribbean mates.

This topic has me daydreaming of my next adventure!

Rachel

Whirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rarely does everything look like what you see in a glossy travel brochure... Many of us travel to actually experience and witness different cultures, to raise our children with an understanding and appreciation for their place in the world and as giving global citizens....not to turn a blind eye to the realities that might offend our delicate sensibilities. While many of the islands are in fact quite poor, many islanders take great pride in sharing the beauty of their island and heritage with visitors and spend what resources they have to make the touristy parts beautiful and "worthy" of your appreciation....many have little self sustaining trade to support them and "tourism" is in fact their primary offering...which means budgets are insufficient for much of the infrastructure and public works that would keep the cities from being "gross."

It does sound as though many islands are just not a good fit for your particular travel disposition, unless of course you are sure to stay on the grounds of the resort so that you don't actually see anything that varies from the brochure -- nothing real.

For others, we open our minds and our hearts and see the warm and wonderful people, who are appreciative for what they have and for you coming to their beautiful land....Everywhere and everyone has an aspect that is not one's best side...you have given us a glimpse of yours, in fact. Perhaps I misunderstand, but its just another perspective...one far less narrow.

Carl D

Reaction score
Rarely does everything look like what you see in a glossy travel brochure...
I have never seen anything appealing about the Caribbean in a brochure, other than blue water with the leaning palm tree.
In other words, I didn't enter with high expectations.

Many of us travel to actually experience and witness different cultures, to raise our children with an understanding and appreciation for their place in the world and as giving global citizens....not to turn a blind eye to the realities that might offend our delicate sensibilities.
Yeah, okay, so I'll tell my kid to join the Peace Corp or join that Christian Network.
I don't take a vacation to open my eyes to world poverty.. I take a vacation to get away from the depressing stuff. You know, to go to a nice place.

While many of the islands are in fact quite poor, many islanders take great pride in sharing the beauty of their island and heritage with visitors
Since tourism is about all they have, and they charge us dearly for the simplest of things, they should treat us well.

and spend what resources they have to make the touristy parts beautiful and "worthy" of your appreciation....
No offense, but I have yet to see any part that is worthy of my appreciation.
The only acceptable place I have found is the Maho (sp?) hotel on St Maartin.

many have little self sustaining trade to support them and "tourism" is in fact their primary offering...which means budgets are insufficient for much of the infrastructure and public works that would keep the cities from being "gross."
I have seen piles of rotting garbage outside homes, guys going to the bathroom along the streets, several people digging in dumpsters and throwing the garbage on the street, whore houses across from a resort, cab drivers drinking beer and littering their cans, all in St Johns Atigua.
Sorry, but that has little to do with the budget.

It does sound as though many islands are just not a good fit for your particular travel disposition, unless of course you are sure to stay on the grounds of the resort so that you don't actually see anything that varies from the brochure -- nothing real.
I don't find anything to be "vacation worthy" at the resort either.

For others, we open our minds and our hearts and see the warm and wonderful people, who are appreciative for what they have and for you coming to their beautiful land....
In the cab on the way to the hotel in St Thomas we were told not to venture outside after dark.

Everywhere and everyone has an aspect that is not one's best side...you have given us a glimpse of yours, in fact. Perhaps I misunderstand, but its just another perspective...one far less narrow.
I think you're saying that I showed you an "ugly" side of myself?? Perhaps I'm not reading that correctly.. Wouldn't be the first time.

Bottom line- I asked the question, and I think I got an answer.
People like the beach (and everything associated with it), and the people.

Fair enough. I'm truly happy that many of you enjoy it. Different strokes is what makes the world go round.
That said, you will not have competition from me to book a place there.
Personally I get the willies looking at those roadside food stands.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Bottom line- I asked the question, and I think I got an answer. People like the beach (and everything associated with it), and the people.

Fair enough. I'm truly happy that many of you enjoy it. Different strokes is what makes the world go round. That said, you will not have competition from me to book a place there. Personally I get the willies looking at those roadside food stands.

Perhaps you need to stay at one of the more private, secluded resorts,
where you need not ever notice the unwashed masses. I'm thinking...
Caneel Bay -- a "Rock Resort" on St. John, U.S. Virgin Islands
Peter Island -- 1,300 acre, privately owned island in the British Virgins
Necker Island -- Richard Branson's retrreat - 26 guests
Jumby Bay Resort -- two miles off the coast of Antigua
Young Island Resort -- on a private island near St. Vincent, Grenadines
Cayo Espanto -- a private island off the east coast of Belize.
Guana Island -- 7 beaches on a 850-acre island in the British Virgins.
Musha Cay -- Expensive and exotic - 24 guests
Meridian Club -- 12 beach-front rooms, 800-acres, Turks & Caicos
... not that I've been or could afford to stay at these places myself.

Last edited:

Bajanswife

Reaction score
Wow, as a native of Barbados, I'm not sure how to feel about this! I get that certain parts of the world and certain landscapes don't appeal to everyone, and it sounds like the Caribbean is just not your thing. All of those things you describe do exist. But there is also another side to the Caribbean that you were clearly unable to see because you were too distracted by the stuff you didn't like. Especially if you go to a place like Barbados that has a large middle class and many people who live "normally", and there are plenty of activities around for tourists and locals beyond the beach.

Fletcher921

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Mission Hills, CA;
Los Abrigados, AZ;
The Whaler, HI;
Playa Del Sol Costa Sur, MX;
Westgate Park City, UT
I like to see my feet in the water when I am swim...

riverside

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I could live out my days in the Caribbean I would be perfectly happy. I can't get enough of the nice people, beautiful scenery, beaches, places to explore. And those roadside stands? They have the best food of anywhere we've eaten and at a very reasonable price. To not try those is to miss out on the island experience.

I have to admit that I was a little disturbed during my first couple of visits to the Caribbean (Dominican Republic and Nassau) but now I have come to understand that it is a part of life and it doesn't bother me. Most of those people are perfectly happy and that is what matters in life.

I'm glad that we don't all like the same things/places. My travel moments would be awfully crowded if they did. When I visit the Caribbean (which is 2-3 times a year) I feel transported to a different world; a world where I can relax, breathe in the fresh air, make new friends and drink in the beautiful scenery of the beaches and mountains. I'm racking up memories that will be with me forever.

Parkplace

TUG Member
Reaction score
We took a cruise last November. Lots of islands.

I was very taken with the regular neighbourhood on St. Kitts.
I thought 'what a beautiful simplified life!' I'd like to live like that! Bare feet, no heating bills, barbecue any time of year, apparently quite happy, lots of time for your neighbours.

Then our bus driver took us on a loop around the island and there were all the huge gringo houses in the tidy neighbourhoods, expensive cars to drive pretty much nowhere except in a circle, nobody outside.

I don't know, but it would be nice to experience the freedom of simplicity.

brother coony

TUG Member
Reaction score
Carl D
Here are 3 Islands I know that are Filty (Dirty) rich) has more per-Capita income than the U S A and has the higest standard of living in the world

1: Bermuda, Full employment, 80% of workers or foreign workers that outnumber natives 3 to 1
2: Turks and Caicos, also Full employment 11,000 natives and 0ver 22,000
foreign workers twice the size of the native population,
3:Trinidad and tobago, Oil and natural gas Rich
if you see any poor or dumpster diving in these Island its not natives
we dont want to keep you out of all the Fun in the caribbean so just go to these three,
the rest of us that work and toil 50 weeks a year JUSt for that one week or two in the Paradise of the Caribbean Island will Keep going TO ALL:banana: of them
and hopefully will enjoy them more in Retirement:D

Carl D

Reaction score
Carl D
Here are 3 Islands I know that are Filty (Dirty) rich) has more per-Capita income than the U S A and has the higest standard of living in the world

1: Bermuda, Full employment, 80% of workers or foreign workers that outnumber natives 3 to 1
2: Turks and Caicos, also Full employment 11,000 natives and 0ver 22,000
foreign workers twice the size of the native population,
3:Trinidad and tobago, Oil and natural gas Rich
if you see any poor or dumpster diving in these Island its not natives
we dont want to keep you out of all the Fun in the caribbean so just go to these three,
the rest of us that work and toil 50 weeks a year JUSt for that one week or two in the Paradise of the Caribbean Island will Keep going TO ALL:banana: of them
and hopefully will enjoy them more in Retirement:D
On my way out, so not much time to respond.
I have been to 2 out of 3 of the above. I find Bermuda to be the best, however that's not the Caribbean.

I'm not trying to offend anyone with this post. I'm just giving my views and soliciting others.

More later..

tombo

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have seen piles of rotting garbage outside homes, guys going to the bathroom along the streets, several people digging in dumpsters and throwing the garbage on the street, whore houses across from a resort, cab drivers drinking beer and littering their cans, all in St Johns Atigua.

Until you said St Johns I thought that you might have been talking about New Orleans, or it could have been New York, or Las Vegas, or Venice Beach, or Los Angeles, or San Fransisco, or Key West, or even your favorite vacation location, Orlando.

Last edited:

CatLovers

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well put! My sentiments exactly!

Rarely does everything look like what you see in a glossy travel brochure... Many of us travel to actually experience and witness different cultures, to raise our children with an understanding and appreciation for their place in the world and as giving global citizens....not to turn a blind eye to the realities that might offend our delicate sensibilities. While many of the islands are in fact quite poor, many islanders take great pride in sharing the beauty of their island and heritage with visitors and spend what resources they have to make the touristy parts beautiful and "worthy" of your appreciation....many have little self sustaining trade to support them and "tourism" is in fact their primary offering...which means budgets are insufficient for much of the infrastructure and public works that would keep the cities from being "gross."

For others, we open our minds and our hearts and see the warm and wonderful people, who are appreciative for what they have and for you coming to their beautiful land....Everywhere and everyone has an aspect that is not one's best side...you have given us a glimpse of yours, in fact. Perhaps I misunderstand, but its just another perspective...one far less narrow.

Carl D

Reaction score
Until you said St Johns I thought that you might have been talking about New Orleans, or it could have been New York, or Las Vegas, or Venice Beach, or Los Angeles, or San Fransisco, or Key West, or even your favorite vacation location, Orlando.
I've driven thru all those cities. I've never seen the same picture as driving through Basseterre.

Carl D

Reaction score
Well put! My sentiments exactly!

Glad you agree with Whirl. Please read my rebuttle.

I really wanted to like the Caribbean, but.... Well, I feel like I need to take a shower after leaving.

From the way it sounds there are nicer areas to visit. That may be the key...
The $2/min cell charge is a rip off. Maybe if you're with your family that's not a big deal. When I visit I'm alone and isolated, and need my phone.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Maybe if you're with your family that's not a big deal. When I visit I'm alone and isolated, and need my phone.

Not to be snarky, but with your attitude you shouldn't be surprised to feel alone and isolated.

If you want to appreciate a culture, you must immerse yourself in it. You won't find it in a resort. You need to put down your $2/minute cell phone and actually interact with the local people. Sit yourself in one of those "filthy" bars and strike up a conversation. Enter with a smile on your face instead of a scowl.