• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need Explanation of Interval/Marriott Policy

josh1231

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am going to Hawaii next month and have exchanged my gold shadow ridge for a 1bd Ko Olina. I now see that both Waihoa (I know its mispelled) and 2bd Ko Olina are available over flexchange. Can I switch my reservation to one of these?

Bill4728

Reaction score
Probably, It will cost you another exchange fee but yes I give II a call.

But you can also look and see if it may be cheaper to do a get-a-way for a studio at Ko Olinda and have Marriott put them together for you into a 2 bed.

Stefa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes. Just call II and have them make the switch.

You will have to pay another exchange fee.

josh1231

TUG Member
Reaction score

But you can also look and see if it may be cheaper to do a get-a-way for a studio at Ko Olinda and have Marriott put them together for you into a 2 bed.

Thanks to the both of you for the information. They are gone at the moment, but I'm going to be looking again until I find them.

brigechols

TUG Member
Reaction score

Are you saying that a get-a-way for a studio at Ko'Olina may be less than another exchange fee?

cp73

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1

Bill,

I dont think I have ever seen any getaways for any of the Marriott Hawaii locations. Where are you seeing those?

josh1231

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bill,

I dont think I have ever seen any getaways for any of the Marriott Hawaii locations. Where are you seeing those?

Really? I do agree with Bill that they are there occassionally. They are considerably more expensive though, usually going for the $800-$1100 range for the week.

There's actually a Westin on there right now for my dates, but its $900 which is too much for the 2-days I have yet to book.

Stefa

TUG Member
Reaction score

I've seen them mentioned on the Sightings board a few times. There was a last-minute Ko'Olina recently for <$400.

I think it is highly unlikely you will find a cheap Hawaii getaway for other than last-minute travel. As someone else said they are usually around $1000 for travel dates that are farther out.

Bill4728

Reaction score
I've seen them mentioned on the Sightings board a few times. There was a last-minute Ko'Olina recently for <$400.

I think it is highly unlikely you will find a cheap Hawaii getaway for other than last-minute travel. As someone else said they are usually around $1000 for travel dates that are farther out.
True, But a late minute studio is often pretty cheap. BUT as said, normally not nearly as cheap as another exchange fee.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

True, But a late minute studio is often pretty cheap. BUT as said, normally not nearly as cheap as another exchange fee.

A getaway is rarely if ever going to be cheaper than another exchange fee, but you can't compare them like that. When I compare I look at the exchange fee plus the MF cost. If that is lower than the getaway, then I would go for the exchange. If the getaway is cheaper, then I would get the getaway. In the case above, you would have to include the change fee twice to do the comparison.