• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RSS feeds?

geoffb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are there any plans to enable the RSS features in vBulletin for the TUG BBS? It looks like they are currently disabled and I was hoping to use them.

-Geoff

admin

Administrator
Reaction score
geoffb said:
Are there any plans to enable the RSS features in vBulletin for the TUG BBS? It looks like they are currently disabled and I was hoping to use them.

-Geoff
Frankly, I haven't looked into this yet. I expect this will be added in the near future.

geoffb

TUG Member
Reaction score
RSS is a standard method for publishing headlines and other information. It allows people to see a summary of an article with a link. So, for a system like this it would let you see a summary of recent postings without having to visit the web site.

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
RSS feeds have been enabled

I turned this on quite some time ago, but I can't see that I ever posted an announcement about it.

Looks to me that vBulletin's RSS implementation isn't all that great. Just notifies you of the most recent 15 posts. That might be great on a small board without many posts, but here, it's nearly useless.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Makai Guy said:
I turned this on quite some time ago, but I can't see that I ever posted an announcement about it.

Looks to me that vBulletin's RSS implementation isn't all that great. Just notifies you of the most recent 15 posts. That might be great on a small board without many posts, but here, it's nearly useless.
Yep. I tried using it as a live bookmark in Firefox, but, as you say, it's only 15 posts deep.

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
djlandkpl said:
I think there are 2 RSS implementations. The second way allows you to view new messages to specific forums.

The feed address is:
http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/external.php?type=rss2&forumids=123
where the forum ID corresponds to the forum desired. ie. Mariott is 29.

From what I can tell, it's not implemented on TUG.

Works okay for me, using &forumids=10 to follow THIS forum.

RSS info from bbs FAQs. For those of you who haven't discovered the FAQ section yet, there's a link to it in the blue navigation bar near the top of the page. A search for RSS found this link.

To find the number of any forum, go to the forum's home page and examine the URL displayed by your browser. It will end with f=[forum number].

djlandkpl

Reaction score
Makai Guy said:
Works okay for me, using &forumids=10 to follow THIS forum.

RSS info from bbs FAQs. For those of you who haven't discovered the FAQ section yet, there's a link to it in the blue navigation bar near the top of the page. A search for RSS found this link.

To find the number of any forum, go to the forum's home page and examine the URL displayed by your browser. It will end with f=[forum number].

It's working for me now. Sweet. :)

gatekeeper

Reaction score
RSS for resort reviews

You might be interested in writing a small script to generate RSS feeds for resort reviews, too. Then as new reviews are written, the information is pushed to RSS readers for those who use them, or home pages for Yahoo! Google and others that are starting to allow users to add their own content to their pages. This is a growing realm of the Internet and can bring more traffic to your site. Yahoo! seems to have a lead on this right now, even doing a better job than Google (IMHO).
The script for vBulletin is a good starting block. :cool: