• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sedona Choices for Family of 4 in August

skatie

Reaction score
We are new to the timeshare process and with our busy family schedule finding it hard to use up our timeshare week. We bought Ron Jons 2BRLO and I've been using RCI to try to find a good trade for one of the last 2 weeks of August this year (I know we're late!). I would really like to have a 2 BR so kids (13 & 10) could have their own beds instead of sharing a pull-out couch in a living room, but my choices appear limited right now.

In Sedona, my choices right now are:
Highland Resort @ Verde Ridge -Cornville (1BR - but looks really nice but a bit out of town)
Sedona Pines (1 & 2 BR - not thrilled about the set up for second BR with the kids)
Los Abrigados (1 BR - like the location, but don't think kitchen is too functional?)
The Ridge (1 BR)
Villas Poco Diablo (1 BR)

We will have a car and will be travelling to Grand Canyon and other sites to keep the kids occupied! A nice pool is a must and if we have to go with a 1 BR, I'd like it to be spacious with a good kitchen. Which resort would you recommend we reserve? Also, if I reserve now and a 2BR shows up later (what are the odds!?), could I switch to that without penalty?

Thanks!

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
I cannot advise as to which might be "best" . . . but do know that once you do your confirmed exchange with RCI, you cannot cancel or change it without penalty and/or fees.

Red Rox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Highland Resort is about 15 miles out of Sedona in Cornville. Although it's the newest, it would be my last choice for location. Top choices would be the Ridge for nice views and great apartments and smaller pools for building clusters, and Los Abrigados for fabulous location in the heart of Sedona and a big pool and spa. Sedona Pines is actually modular homes. gets good reviews, but I don't know why. Poco Diablo would be my last choice. It's old and just not appealing to me. HTH

Red Rox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Odds of getting an upgrade to a 2 bedroom unit would be very slim. To be honest, I'm surprised that you have so many options for Sedona in August right now.

urple2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seeing that you prefer a 2 bedroom and that the only choice at present is Sedona Pines, that may just work out ok for you. Ages 10,13 should be alright for just across the deck accomodations on the second bedroom.

The reviews were mixed when I gave it a shot and stayed there. I liked it! The modulars were very nice.Maybe a little cramped but doable. The resort itself has a great pool,nice miniature golf and a scenic drive back into down town Sedona.

eal

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have stayed at Sedona Pines as well and the set-up would be fine for your kids. The second bedroom is just across a small deck, and they would have their own bathroom. They would love the independence without you having to worry about them.

skatie

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your opinions - I see a 2BR just became available at Villas of Sedona - it's location sounds like it's right in town (can you walk to stores or is it still a drive?). Would Villas of Sedona be better than Sedona Pines?

Red Rox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Villas of Sedona would be my choice for location in West Sedona and a more traditional apartment set up. Grab it.
You can walk to a few restaurants and stores. But in Sedona you will use your car to go almost everywhere anyway.

eal

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
We own at Villas of Sedona and it is definitely roomier and more kid-friendly than Sedona Pines.

skatie

Reaction score
I put a hold on the Villas of Sedona and will need to confirm it later today. All the photos I see are of a loft layout. The room I have a hold on is a 2 BR sleeps 6/4privately. Would you happen to know the layout of this type of room vs loft? ALso eal since you own there, do you know if rooms are renovated - I read a lot about rooms being "dated" and then also read about renovations. Thanks for your help!

nightnurse613

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's been about a year but the unit I stayed in was renovated. The unit I own is a loft with the bedroom and loft on the second floor with a bathroom in between. There is a toilet and sink downstairs. It is a small complex attached to Sedona Springs. Putting course and pools on site - had a nice little rec center in the center, too. As RedRox says, it is a cute little resort and a fine place to stay with easy access to downtown Sedona. Grocery stores and movie theaters not too far away (very close to the CoffeePot - my favorite breakfast place and home to the 101 omelettes). Sedona Pines is about a half dozen miles south of (West) Sedona and out there all by itself. Come, enjoy Sedona!:hi:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We own at Villas. We've just stayed there once, and had 2 full bedrooms, no loft. It would be fine for your group. There's a Walgreens a block walk, some shops. They have movie nights, a local 'cowboy' musician, in-and-outdoor pools, gas barbecues, large, useful fully equipped kitchens (we performed Thanksgiving for 7 there).

Groceries are a short drive.

Enjoy your stay. We enjoyed going up the mesa to the airport for sunset. Many people do it regularly. Pink Jeeps will pick your group up at the resort.

Jim Ricks

Red Rox

TUG Member
Reaction score
The loft unit that you're seeing in the photos has 2 bedrooms PLUS the loft. Take it.

skatie

Reaction score
Thanks for eveyone's advice. We did book the 2BR. Now to book air and figure out activiites to do while we're there and buy sunscreen! Thanks again :cheer: