• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Nashville - July 4th

wdaveo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't know if this is good or bad, but I just got confirmed at the Fairfield Nashville for the week of July 4th, 2006.

Does anyone know what kind of activities generally take place that week, who typically performs, and how we could get tickets?

I am sure it is going to be crazy crowded - but we needed to confirm something or risk losing our HGVC points.

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Dawn

teachingmyown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Fireworks!!!! Entertainment!!! Free!!! :)

Wow, are you in for a treat!!! Nashville boasts one of the premier fireworks shows in the country on July 4th. The folks sitting next to me last July were blown away. They were visiting and said it beat DC's show hands down. You'll be able to join several(!) thousand folks down at Riverfront Park for an afternoon and evening of music and entertainment. This year's roster included Charlie Daniels and Nicole Mullins(?) among many others. Admission is free; parking, food, souvenirs and activities are not. My suggestion would be to check out the possibility of taking one of the water taxis that run from the Opryland complex (near Fairfield but not quite what I'd call walking distance) over to Riverfront park. That way you won't have to worry about parking. Plan to at least bring a blanket. Lots of folks go all out and bring coolers and chairs, but what you carry in - you, well, have to carry out.

Also, Nashville Shores (our local waterpark) usually has special activities planned for that whole weekend, as well as several other places. Just don't plan anything that will keep you away from Riverfront just after dark on the 4th.

wdaveo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, that sounds great!! Thanks for letting me know about it!

Any tips on getting Opryland tickets? I expect the shows will be sold out that week.

Do the 'big stars' generally play there on certain nights of the week (weekend, for example) or is it more random? Is there any particular night that would be better to try to get tickets for?

How early in advance can you get the tickets, and where is the best place to purchase?

teachingmyown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, we don't do the shows very much so I can't really answer your questions very well. Many of the venues aren't even publishing their schedules for June/July '06 yet, anyway. I'd suggest finding & bookmarking their websites and then just checking back occasionally.

Some keywords to look for...

Gaylord Entertainment Center (locally known as "The GEC")
Nashville Municipal Auditorium
Nashville Shores
Ryman Auditorium
Acuff Theatre
Grand Ole Opry House
Starwood AmSouth Amphitheatre
General Jackson Showboat
The Nashville Coliseum
Tennessee Performing Arts Center (TPAC)
The Frist Center for Visual Arts
Schermerhorn Symphony Center

Ticketmaster usually handles ticket sales for most Nashville events so they may be a good source of info.

Please remember that when I mentioned "Opryland" I was referring to the complex containing the Opryland Hotel, The Grand Ole Opry House, Opry Mills Mall, the Acuff Theatre, the Gaslight Theatre, the General Jackson Showboat and the River Taxis. The Opryland themepark is but a distant memory.

There are also several smaller venues in the area, such as Miss Marple's Mystery Dinner Theatre and Chaffin's Barn Dinner Theatre but they don't generally have special events specifically for the Fourth.

Hope this helps!! :)

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
Wow! I'm jealous.

Like I said in another active thread, Jenny's sister is the Operations Manager at GOO, and Jenny and all the girls in her family just got back from a weekend there. They saw the Rockettes and the Ice Show twice, the Russian ballet, and the Christmas decoration at the Opryland Hotel.

If you have never seen a Gaylord Hotel, that is a treat.

Jenny and the girls in her family go to Fairfield Nashville in the summer for Girl's Week Out, and you are ahead of us booking next summer.

Have fun and let me know if you need one of those backstage tours at the GOO.

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
wdaveo said:
Any tips on getting Opryland tickets? I expect the shows will be sold out that week.

I always chuckle when I see someone say this, though I know what you mean.

Opryland was a theme park that closed several years ago (making me very sad). There is an outlet mall where it used to be. The adjacent hotel still carries the name.

The Grand Old Opry is the music show that still survives, with several shows per week.

Sheila

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
All this Nashville talk (two simultaneously threads!), caught my attention. Yesterday I redeemed some RCI Elite Rewards points and today I grabbed an 8/6 2-bedroom at the Fairfield next July for Jenny's Girls' Week Out.

We even had a credit left over, which you can put on my account, Pat. (Any guesses on where that line comes from?)

wdaveo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, my July 4th trip is nearing!

Does anyone have any special tips for me?

Should I try to get tix for the General Jackson Showboat?

JLB...any insider info on the Opry line-up for the week of July 4th?

For those who have stayed at the Fairfield...should I call ahead and make any special requests!

Thanks!!

Dawn :)

minniel

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can get Opry tickets at the resort. I think any tickets you want for anything are easily gotten through Fairfield. Have fun.

nursetanya1973

TUG Member
Reaction score
We will be at FF Nashville the week before you are, so I have been doing a little checking.

The Grand Old Opry has a Star Spangled Tribute on the 4th. Shows at 6pm and 9pm. The tickets can be had through ticketmaster, but they are cheaper through FF. I believe that they said all tickets are $32/adult, $27/child. This is either main floor or balcony. That is a substantial discount from the $46.50 main floor through ticketmaster (adult/child same price). The person I spoke with said that for the Tuesday night shows, no need to buy early, but for Saturday, might want to call ahead. I would call ahead if you want the 4th.

The General Jackson has a special right now, (excluding 4th) save $20/adult up to 6. Code is GJ20. Number to call is 615-458-3900. These are the dinner and show tickets. They also offer upper deck music and buffet, or just music. The website has different deals offered, including 2 free kids' tickets with each adult, but it is for upper deck, music only. Their website is http://www.gaylordhotels.com/gaylordopryland/gjack/index.cfm

We did the General Jackson Captain's table on our honeymoon and my husband was coerced onto the stage for the highlight (for hilarity anyway) of our trip. Now with 2 children we will not be paying for the dinner and show. We may do the outer-deck buffet, though.

Another suggestion that I have is for New Orlean's Manor. It is a restaraunt near the airport that is as beautiful as it is delicious. It is an all you can eat seafood buffet, set in an old New Orlean's style mansion. You can eat in the drawing room, parlor, or upstairs rooms. The food is set in the foyer (if I remember right- it's been 11 years). They serve prime rib, ribs, & chicken primavera in addition to the seafood. The buffet includes king and snow crab legs, but lobster is extra. They bring frog legs and oysters rockerfeller directly to your table. Coffee, tea or milk is included as well as dessert. The cost is $34.50/adult. $1.50/year kids 3-12 (I think those are the ages). They are open Tues- Sat 5p-9p. The food is superb! http://www.neworleansmanor.com/

Taking kids? Their is a giant bug exhibit at the Adventure Science Center featuring dinosaur size recreations along with the real things.

The original "Old Glory" American flag will be in Nashville for the first time in 100 years. That is at the Tenn state museum.

There is a "scent" art exhibit (scents as art as I understand it?) at the Art and Invention Gallery.

Pulitzer prize photos (over 180 I believe), and an Egyptian relics exhibit at the First Center for Visual Arts.

There is also a Ray Charles tribute exhibit at the Country Music Hall of Fame.

Ok, that is all I have right now, my hands are tired, and you are probably bored to tears. Let me know if you would like adresses or phone numbers for any of the above.

Tanya

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
I asked Jenny to ask her sister. Jenny says to call ahead on things you need for a baby, cribs and high chairs and stuff.

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
I'm still waiting, but Jenny's sister knows I'm waiting.

In the It's a Small World department, Jenny and Terri's mother had hip replacement surgery today. In talking with the surgeon in the follow-up, he said he is going to Nashville July 8 and will be staying at the Opryland Hotel!

And Terri needs a knee replacement!

Strange.

wdaveo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone, for all the suggestions! I'll be printing this out to take with me. Sounds like there will be plenty to keep us busy!

Has anyone been to the July 4th fireworks? I heard they are spectacular!

Dawn

susieq

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Voyage, Jamestown, RI
wdaveo,
Have a wonderful trip!! Sounds fantastic! I'm envious! :wave:
Sue

wdaveo

TUG Member
Reaction score
JLB...has your sister-in-law given you any insider information regarding the GOO the week of July 4th? There is still very little info on the website as to who may be appearing.

Thanks!

Dawn

teachingmyown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
WOW, WOW, WOW!!! That was an amazingly incredible fireworks show!!! Did you make it to Riverfront, Dawn? I looked for you, but there were something like 100000 people in the way. :D

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
Dawn:

Taking care of some old business:

I don't want you to think I was ignoring you. I have been away from the BBS for awhile and was unable to contact you because you have no email link.

Had I been able to, I would have told you that as of my last post above, the GOO website had been updated to show everything anyone knew about what groups would be there over the holiday. Even if I could have, I didn't have anything else to share.

wdaveo said:
JLB...has your sister-in-law given you any insider information regarding the GOO the week of July 4th? There is still very little info on the website as to who may be appearing.

Thanks!

Dawn

wdaveo

TUG Member
Reaction score
teachingmyown said:
WOW, WOW, WOW!!! That was an amazingly incredible fireworks show!!! Did you make it to Riverfront, Dawn? I looked for you, but there were something like 100000 people in the way. :D

Yes, it was FABULOUS! And we now have a houseful of Josh Turner fans (who?) - CD's playing non-stop around here!

Kids want to go back again soon...I am going to work on another exchange in a few years. Anyone know off hand if the Fairfield is a 1 in 4 resort?

Thanks to everyone for all the advice...made for a great vacation when we needed it most.

Dawn :)

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
The Barton girls are on their way to Aunt Jenny's Girls' Week Out in Nashville.

They are also privy to some inside info on a freebie coming up this week at the GOO, something I don't believe I can share, but a real treat!