• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Airfare Announcement Thread

Should we have a "sticky" airfare sale thread

• Wow! That's a GREAT idea. I'm up for it.

Votes: 344 74.0%
  • Sure! Why not one for each area of the world/country?

Votes: 98 21.1%
  • Nah! I can find my own airfare sales.

Votes: 23 4.9%

• Total voters

TTom

Reaction score
Just wondering whether you all think this might be a good thing.

I'm thinking about creating a "sticky" thread where people could post announcements about airfare sales as they come up. Here's the way it would work:

Any time a good fare was sighted, you could add a response to this thread. The response TITLE should include a date range for the sale. That way, I can easily delete outdated information (or, in fact, leave it for historical purposes).

This would allow us to create an "archive" of when various sales appeared. Although this is similar to what is done on Flyer Talk, I think it might be useful, just based on the number of announcements of this nature I have seen on this board.

Anyway, please weigh in on this.

Thanks!

Tom

camachinist

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great idea, since the focus of travel here is different than on the MR forum on FT.

As an example, AA and UA have been having an unannounced fare war through their hubs for the last couple weeks. It didn't even show up in the CRS for a few days, but could be found booking directly on their sites.

Current example: ATL- SFO/LAX and reverse, mostly midweek, 3 day min, beginning now, out through end of year @ 197-199 all-in, mix of red-eye and day flights east-bound. Not a true MR bargain, but some have built this into SFO-LAX-ORD-ATL and reverse for a few bucks more. Great EQM's and RDM's.

As is done on FT, a mod could come in and insert "Fare Gone" into the title, once is has been reported gone. Airfares are extremely transitory, but the one above, like last year's bargains SFO-JFK (at 137 all in) were/are pervasive and long-lived.

I don't know how many posters would participate, but you could almost have sub-forums on airfare and hotel deals. I'm finding hotel costs these days to be more of a burden than airfares. I can fly transcon to NYC for under 200.00, then spend more than that on one night in a hotel there, for just an average hotel.

Anyway, good suggestion. With the new software, one can subscribe to the airfare forum (if it was created) and it will act as an alert notification system, similar to the one put in place by FT'ers for mistake fares.

Good luck!

Pat

TTom

Reaction score
One step further

Thanks for your input!

To take this idea one step further, this board allows you to subscribe to specific threads. That way, you are notified immediately (by email) of anything which is posted. Unfortunately, it will only notify you of the FIRST post after the last time you log on, but, if you check in regularly, you can be notified pretty regularly.

Anyway, I hope more folks weigh in on this. I'd be happy to see threads of this nature for airfares, hotels, even (although I hate the posts about them) discount codes.

We've spent a lot of time telling people that the info they want/need is often available on FlyerTalk or Bidding For Vacations (or Priceline or Hotwire). This would allow us (me?) to stop worrying about people asking questions that are better answered elsewhere and yet not clog up the board with a lot of repetitive questions about the same things.

I'm watching!!

Tom

krisj

Reaction score
Another alternative might be to have a sticky thread containing links to the great sites for airfare (Flyertalk, Kayak, etc.), hotel deals (PriceLine, etc.), car rental deals, cruise deals, etc.

These posts could also contain opinions about the relative merits of each site.

Kris

csandin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I, too, think this is a good idea. I like the idea of finding the information here on Tug instead of having to jump to another site (i.e. Flyertalk) to find airfare sales. I am never quite sure if I should buy airfare as soon as I book our unit, or if I should wait and hope I don't miss a sale. If the info was on the BBS, I could sign up for the e-mail alerts and not worry about missing a sale price.

musictom

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it's a great idea as well, especially combined with the subscription notification! :) :)

Thanks,

tom

DonnaD

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree Vacation Club
Airfare sales is important to TUG members

It was a TUG member who told me about QIXO.COM as a good site for finding best airfares. Another told me about BOOKING BUDDIES.COM. both of these sites has been a good tool for me.
Anything we can do to help one another enjoy our travels at the best price is a great way to enrich our lives, and the value of this site.
Thanks to the moderators who help on this bulletin board.

golflover

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
If you have having problems finding decent hotel fares I would suggest visiting specific hotel company websites. In response to all the cost cutting websites such as Travelocity and Orbitz most of the major hotel companies now offer Best Rate Guarantee. That is, they guarantee you will find the lowest rate available on the internet throught their website. If you find a lower fare they will "comp" the room for you. A list of companies now doing this: Choice Hotels (Quality Inn, Comfort Inn, Comfort Suites, Sleep Inn, Econolodge and Rodeway); Cendant (Howard Johnson's, Day's Inn, Super 8, Ramada, Travelodge, Knight's Inn); Intercontinental Hotels (Hilton, Hilton Inn, Hilton Garden Inn, Staybridge, Homewood).

Barbara

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great idea!

I would love it! I have several trips in the next couple of years that will require airfare and would love to be able to find info right here on TUG.

TTom

Reaction score
It's coming

The response to this seems pretty clear.

I am now working out just how to do it. I/we are debating whether this should be one sticky thread or, perhaps, a sub-forum of this one, dedicated solely to airline sales.

My initial thought was a sticky, and then I saw sub-forums (on FlyerTalk). I'm just not sure whether there will be enough traffic to merit a forum and how to keep that forum "clean".

I'm thinking of this kind of like the LMR forum, i.e., targetted specifically toward airline fares and fare sales.

I suppose I can give it a try and see what happens. It can always be changed.

Ciao!

Tom

camachinist

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMO, I'd have a single sub-forum of the travel forum for airfare sales/deals/mistakes. That way, once established, any user can "subscribe" to that forum and receive via e-mail any post that's placed in it, even if they haven't visited the forum in awhile or posted there.

There is a similar e-mail alert set up on FlyerTalk, but it is in addition to the usual forum notifications, and covers "private" deals, as well as those listed publicly on FT.

Sharing with a larger audience is nice, but some of the deals I run across I would rather leave here, rather than on FT where thousands turn them into a feeding frenzy. Most of the deals I've found I haven't published and have just shared with a few friends, so far.

Also, consider a sub-forum for hotel deals and one for rental car deals. 3 forums should cover the lion's share of deals out there, or you could just consolidate into one "travel deals" forum. Having these would take a bit more moderation, as people might tend to post questions in them, rather than deals, which would need to be moved into the main travel forum to retain the integrity of their purpose.

If you decide to do this and need some help managing those specific forii, let me know. The travel and Marriott forums are about the only ones I read here any more.

Good luck!

Pat

carpediem

TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Times to Buy

What also might be interesting (albeit a lot of work) would be to keep track of patterns to determine a good time to buy. For instance, perhaps before Christmas is a good time to purchase airline tickets for Easter travel to Mexico.

This question comes up alot and it would be like tracking bulk spacebanking or maybe just a bit more volatile?

Even if you don't include this feature your idea is a great one. Please pursue.

:)

suzanne

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Its a wonderful idea. Since I am checking for cheap flites from MIA to St Thomas in December. I have been checking every website I can find as well as the airlines web sites. Thanks to TUG, I found Booking Buddy, Travel Zoo and Side Step along with many others. It seems like here lately everytime I run thru my list of sites to check they are all the same prices give or take a couple of dollars. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I used to see much larger differences between the sites for the same flites when looking for airfares.

Suzanne

camachinist

TUG Member
Reaction score
As example, a relatively unpublished fare LAX-SNN (also DUB) on AA, with routings possible through MCO, DFW, and JFK, among others. Selected dates. This is Ireland, for you non-FF folks ;)

Code:
Your ItineraryHelp

Carrier 	Flight
Number 	Departing 	Arriving 	Aircraft
Type
City 	Date & Time 	City 	Date & Time

AMERICAN AIRLINES
	34 	LAX Los Angeles 	11/12/2005 08:00 AM 	JFK New York 	11/12/2005 04:10 PM 	762

AMERICAN AIRLINES
OPERATED BY AMERICAN EAGLE 	4669 	JFK New York 	11/12/2005 05:59 PM 	BOS Boston 	11/12/2005 07:14 PM 	ER3

AMERICAN AIRLINES
	212 	BOS Boston 	11/12/2005 08:50 PM 	SNN Shannon 	11/13/2005 07:30 AM 	757

AMERICAN AIRLINES
	211 	SNN Shannon 	11/14/2005 11:05 AM 	BOS Boston 	11/14/2005 12:40 PM 	757

AMERICAN AIRLINES
	145 	BOS Boston 	11/14/2005 03:00 PM 	LAX Los Angeles 	11/14/2005 06:10 PM 	738

Fare SummaryHelp
Average Fare per Person - 298.00 USD
Passenger Type Used in Pricing 	Fare per Person 	Additional Taxes and Fees per Person 	Total Price
2  Adult
	298.00 USD
	91.65 USD
	779.30 USD
Your Total Price   	779.30 USD

399.65 pp all-in, booking in W, for about 12K EQM/RDM (some routings a bit less, some more) plus any RDM bonii. Not bad :)

Pat

Last edited:

bnalexander

TUG Member
Reaction score
How??

How and where do you find those flight deals?????

I tried to visit the flyertalk site for a while but I would always get bogged down and never really find what I needed. There is SO MUCH info to digest!

I bet it takes a long time to be able to understand it all!

I also think it would be a wonderful idea to have info here on TUG and the three divisions of info you mentioned would work for me.

I vote Yes!

camachinist

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bet it takes a long time to be able to understand it all!

It's like training for another career ;). I've spent a couple years part-time just becoming proficient with the routing/fare language code on ITA. There are also a few clandestine e-mail lists which share "finds". Sometimes I think there are a few fun-loving insiders who like to push the "wrong button" and sit back and wait to see how long it takes for the mileage runners to discover what they did. :D

On FlyerTalk, being registered and using the search engine is a real shortcut. The site is actually very organized, considering the huge population there. Also, getting to know some of the regulars, just like here on TUG, can be "helpful".

I see mining airfares to be very similar to TUG'ers mining great exchanges or bargain resales. It takes time and experience. Having a place to post such deals here would be a nice way to augment the site's main purpose, in that most everyone needs to travel to get to their deal.

Pat

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
golflover said:
That is, they guarantee you will find the lowest rate available on the internet throught their website. If you find a lower fare they will "comp" the room for you. A list of companies now doing this: Choice Hotels (Quality Inn, Comfort Inn, Comfort Suites, Sleep Inn, Econolodge and Rodeway); Cendant (Howard Johnson's, Day's Inn, Super 8, Ramada, Travelodge, Knight's Inn); Intercontinental Hotels (Hilton, Hilton Inn, Hilton Garden Inn, Staybridge, Homewood).

Intercontinental is Holiday Inn not Hilton. Both have some kind of low rate guarantee. Starwood (Sheraton, Westin, 4 Points) does too.

gophish

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Sounds great. think it would be very useful and a good way to consolodate these posts in one place easy to find.
I think that if I were the mod here I would just delete the out of date messages to avoid having a huge number for folks to look thru.
thanks
Ken H.

EileenSRN

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't wait! I found this thread while trying to find a fare under 900 to St Marten For Pres. Week.
Is there a list someplace of all the good sites to mine for fares? I'm beginning to keep a note pad with me every timeI come in, so I can take notes. :confused:

camachinist

TUG Member
Reaction score
EileenSRN said:
I can't wait! I found this thread while trying to find a fare under 900 to St Marten For Pres. Week.
Is there a list someplace of all the good sites to mine for fares? I'm beginning to keep a note pad with me every timeI come in, so I can take notes. :confused:
ITA is the one I use most, and is where most of the code here comes from. Very powerful search parameters, down to fare bucket, routings and specific carriers (or multiples). Large learning curve. Registration required (free).

Also, reading the mileage runner forum on FlyerTalk can lend some insight on fare directions and sources of information...

Pat

kapish

TUG Member
Reaction score
Alaska Airlines Fall Sale: Ends Aug. 25

TTom said:
creating a "sticky" thread where people could post announcements about airfare sales as they come up. Here's the way it would work:

Any time a good fare was sighted, you could add a response to this thread. The response TITLE should include a date range for the sale.
Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air Launch Fall Cleanup Sale

Book through August 25 for travel through December 14, 2005.

$79 Portland/Seattle
$89 Los Cabos
Kids Fly Free to Mexico

1. I found the fares shown at www.alaskaair.com already reflecting this sale.
2. Here is the ad:

alaska-air-sale2s.jpg

Larger image, if needed, is available at http://www.kapeesh.com/images/wm/alaska-air-sale2.jpg

roadsister

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Any blackout dates???

roadsister

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
kapish said:
I didn't notice any. Feel free to check the image of the ad (attached) for confirmation. Thanks.

Darn, blackout dates AND time and day restrictions....I was hoping to bring others along to Cabo with me at Thanksgiving break.....luckily I have my airfare.

Thanks for the heads up....i"m sure others aren't tied to a school schedule.

roadsister

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
kapish said:
I didn't notice any. Feel free to check the image of the ad (attached) for confirmation. Thanks.

Darn, blackout dates AND time and day restrictions....I was hoping to bring others along to Cabo with me at Thanksgiving break.....luckily I have my airfare.

Thanks for the heads up....i"m sure others aren't tied to a school schedule.