• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

When does AA open up for FF bookings?

5infam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Going to Maui next year, late June to mid-July and need to book 5 FF tickets on American. When exactly does the system change over to let you book the next day? Is it a set time every day?

I did a test earlier Monday night, around 11:00pm pacific, I could only see dates through June 22nd. Shortly after Midnight, I could see the 23rd of June. So is midnight pacific time the change over?

I have never booked Maui with FF miles before, but I can tell by playing around with the dates that they go very quickly, and with me needing 5, and needing them at the lowest rate possible (45,000 miles each), I need to get on there the second it is available.

Any other tricks or secrets you can pass on would be great!!! TIA:)

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
Getting 5 FF seats on the same flight is tough. I think AA is based in the Central time zone but I would check at midnight EDT. Whenever I put a ticket on hold it gives me the expiration time of 11:59 Eastern. I live in EDT so I don't know if that makes a difference. You can put the tickets on hold online for 5 days.

lll1929

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would call and use an agent. They can see seats 1 day prior to online, I believe. It will cost you more to use the agent but it may be worth it.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Are you booking round-trip, or just the outbound flight? (You can only book the outbound flight at this point.)

Have you looked at alternative airports as a backup?

If 5 seats aren't available for a direct flight to Maui, consider booking to Oahu with FF mi., and then paying for an Interisland flight.

Last edited:

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
On AA you can book one way FF tickets for half the mileage requirements.

SherryS

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would call and use an agent. They can see seats 1 day prior to online, I believe. It will cost you more to use the agent but it may be worth it.

Agents can access seats two days before they are seen online. Online can be seen 329 days in advance. We got our AA FF seats to Maui using an agent, and it was worth the extra fee!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
How much is the fee?

Cathyb

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We do this every year with AA

Going to Maui next year, late June to mid-July and need to book 5 FF tickets on American. When exactly does the system change over to let you book the next day? Is it a set time every day?

I did a test earlier Monday night, around 11:00pm pacific, I could only see dates through June 22nd. Shortly after Midnight, I could see the 23rd of June. So is midnight pacific time the change over?

I have never booked Maui with FF miles before, but I can tell by playing around with the dates that they go very quickly, and with me needing 5, and needing them at the lowest rate possible (45,000 miles each), I need to get on there the second it is available.

Any other tricks or secrets you can pass on would be great!!! TIA:)

Our Maui timeshare two weeks are June 29-July 12 and every year we use AA for frequent flyer seats. Been succesful now for five years! Here is what we do:

1. Call the AA frequent flyer phone number. You do pay a fee; but they get the seats BEFORE online shows them (this is what TUG has said in the past).

2. Once you talk with the AA agent and find out what dates have been loaded you now make a game plan on what day you need to call for outgoing part of trip.

3. At midnight, call the AA frequent flyer number. If it is not loaded for your day, call back in 1-2 hours. Yes, it is a pain in the butt -- but worth the $$$ savings. Last year we were traveling in Canada and had to set the hotel alarm clock to accomplish this task.

4. Do the same thing when your return date is due to show up.

June/July in Maui is tough getting ffmiles due to summer and kids out of school. Don't delay or you may not be lucky.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
How much is the fee?

I've been paying about $20 per ticket per person for the convenience of using an AAgent to book on the phone. That's pretty nominal if you're getting an award flight that is very valuable to you. And you also pay taxes on the award ticket, but the amount of tax should be the same whether you book on the phone or online.

Award seats for the next day do not always routinely roll over at midnight (Dallas time), at least for the international award tickets that I have booked in the past. I'm usually on the phone several times until I can secure the booking I want.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
book anything they have!

Personally, I would try for about 2-3 days before you really want to go--and try to get something. If they do not have your Maui flights--hold anything to Hawaii that they have--such as to Kona, HNL, etc. You can hold for 2 weeks while you try to get better flights. But, if nothing shows up, at least you are in Hawaii and can take an inter-island flight. We "dummy-booked" 5 seats a few years ago--I assumed our better flights would come thru---no luck--and I was glad we had put in for the other island--we had to pay for the local flight--but for 5 FF seats from the East Coast, it was worth it--and we got to enjoy another island for a few days. Then call again for the day you want, if they have it, great book it and cancel your other held flight--but if they don't, you'll be glad you have something, even if it is going in a few days early. With 5 tickets, you need to be flexible. You'll find more availability for mid-week. On the same trip, we could not get home on the day we wanted (Sat)and had to stay 2 extra days to use FF miles--again, worth it for 5 FF seats--
Also, set your clock for midnight Dallas time to call--I did this 4 days in a row. they do not always load the seats the 1st day.
I agree, for hard to get reservations, $20 per ticket is worth it.

Last edited:

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
You can hold for 2 weeks while you try to get better flights.

I don't think this is true any longer. I booked an award reservation 1-2 months ago. 5 days was the maximum length of the hold offered to me. But since AA switched to one way awards, this isn't a problem. Grab your outbound flight (and ticket it if necessary), then call back when the time is right and reserve the return flight. (In the old days, when awards were round trip and if your trip was several weeks long, it was a problem to try to hold an outbound flight until the return seats opened up.)

5infam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow - thank you everyone for the help!!! I had to leave early for work, and just got back very late so it was a nice surprise to find your responses after a long day.:)

So I called AA and asked what they could see, they told me they could only see exactly what I could see on line. So, it appears that they could not see things in advance (she tested it and then asked me what I could see and it was the same). She did tell me that it changes over at midnight central time (Dallas), and they load them a few at a time. So she said to call at midnight central, and keep trying back every 15 minutes until my flights loaded and were available to book. She wished me luck as she said 5 tickets to Hawaii in the summer and for the 22,500 per leg was going to be tough, but not impossible. The cost to use the agent is $20 per person, so $100 each way, or $200 round trip. In this case, I am going for 2 weeks, so there is no way I am waiting 2 weeks to book the full round trip - when I can book the one-ways for the same FF point cost - but will have to pay the fee if I do not see it on line and they see it first and can book it for me.

I have marked my calendar for what I have to do now, so hopefully it will work. I will let you all know the outcome.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
5infam,

For LAX/OGG, AA only releases 3 FF seats at the 45,000 award level -- I typically will call right at 10pm PT (midnight CT) 329/330 days in advance (sometimes it's 329 days, sometimes it's 330 days). If the schedule isn't loaded yet, I call back 30-45 minutes later and check. Sometimes it's there, sometimes not, and I'll just call back again later. Only once did I have to wait until the next morning because the schedule loaded after 12:00pm PT. I don't believe many people do this, so you should get your flights.

There are only 3 seats on the LAX/OGG flights, there may be more to HNL. They will only hold the reservation for you for 5 days -- since you can get one-way seats now, that's not a problem, but now you have to pay an "unaccompanied minor" fee if you've not booked the traveling parent yet (since I want for both ways before I book my ticket). Annoying but I got around it by booking a refundable ticket, which I'll refund as soon as the roundtrip is available in a week.

Good luck with your booking efforts!

Greg

Cathyb

TUG Member
Reaction score
GregT-question

5infam,

For LAX/OGG, AA only releases 3 FF seats at the 45,000 award level -- I typically will call right at 10pm PT (midnight CT) 329/330 days in advance (sometimes it's 329 days, sometimes it's 330 days). If the schedule isn't loaded yet, I call back 30-45 minutes later and check. Sometimes it's there, sometimes not, and I'll just call back again later. Only once did I have to wait until the next morning because the schedule loaded after 12:00pm PT. I don't believe many people do this, so you should get your flights.

There are only 3 seats on the LAX/OGG flights, there may be more to HNL. They will only hold the reservation for you for 5 days -- since you can get one-way seats now, that's not a problem, but now you have to pay an "unaccompanied minor" fee if you've not booked the traveling parent yet (since I want for both ways before I book my ticket). Annoying but I got around it by booking a refundable ticket, which I'll refund as soon as the roundtrip is available in a week.

Good luck with your booking efforts!

Greg

Where did your information come from re only 3 frequent flyer seats on the LAX/OGG flight? Is that on each flight -- don't they have one other later flight going to OGG too. Does that apply to each day of the week? I didn't realize how lucky we have been (using 2 of those). Do you know if you fly out of San Diego, how that works?

I see you also live in Carlsbad :)

lll1929

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where did your information come from re only 3 frequent flyer seats on the LAX/OGG flight? Is that on each flight -- don't they have one other later flight going to OGG too. Does that apply to each day of the week? I didn't realize how lucky we have been (using 2 of those). Do you know if you fly out of San Diego, how that works?

I see you also live in Carlsbad :)

You can sign up to access expertflyer.com. I did the 5 day trial when I was trying to grab FF seats and it worked great. I was surprised to find out there were only 3 FF business/first class seats on the flight from MIA to Aruba. I was able to set up nitifications when they were available and I booked them online.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cathy - if you go through the steps to book online, you can see how many FF seats are available for each flight.

Cathyb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not online

Cathy - if you go through the steps to book online, you can see how many FF seats are available for each flight.

Denise: We only go thru the telephone call to AA Frequent Flyer lines. We do not know the quantity of seats -- my question was to a poster who claimed he knew three seats are what the ff traveler has (if they get those seats).

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Denise: We only go thru the telephone call to AA Frequent Flyer lines. We do not know the quantity of seats -- my question was to a poster who claimed he knew three seats are what the ff traveler has (if they get those seats).

Cathy - I'm not suggesting that you book online, I explaining that you can see how many FF seats there are on AA's website - If you go to the AA website, and go through the reservation steps, as if you were going to make a reservation (but don't) it will show you how many FF seats are available on the flight. Most of the time, any given flight has the same number of FF seats every day.

Last edited:

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
Kathy - I'm not suggesting that you book online, I explaining that you can see how many FF seats there are on AA's website - If you go to the AA website, and go through the reservation steps, as if you were going to make a reservation (but don't) it will show you how many FF seats are available on the flight. Most of the time, any given flight has the same number of FF seats every day.

Denise, where does it show you the # of FF seats? I've never seen anything that indicates the # available.

5infam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, that would be great to know how many seats you can get - or are available. I don't see anything that says exactly how many, but by playing with the system, when I put in 5 passengers it says one thing, and then by decreasing te number of passengers, I see more options some times. I have been able to see all 5 seats on a given flight, at the cheapest price of 45,000 miles. I have been able to pull it up on weekends or week days in June or May - but I have not seen it for July. So I wonder if they limet the number of seats at the lowest level in July? Anyone know for sure?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
In the step where you choose your flight, it shows you how many FF seats are available for each flight.

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
In the step where you choose your flight, it shows you how many FF seats are available for each flight.

I just did a dummy booking and still don't see the # of FF seats available. I even logged in first.

Art

TUG Member
Reaction score
To go back to the OP's initial requests, FF seats will not be available more than 330 days or so in advance. However, since the airlines are now putting FF seats under revenue control, i.e., let's see if we can sell them before we give them away, FF seats can show up as soon as 330 days before the flight, but this is no longer a "guaranteed" date for first availability.

So if the seats are not there at 330 days, keep checking at 329 days, 328 days, 300 days, 148 days, etc. Depending on how the seats are released, one might actually book the return flights first. This is one big advantage of the one way FF tickets on AA.

Art

5infam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Got My Seats!!!

OK - I know for sure that at Midnight, Central Time, that American begins to load the FF seats, 331 days out. So at Midnight, Central Time on the 30th, I called into AA to try and get the seats I want, which are LAX to OGG, for Sunday July 26th, 2011 - for my wife and I, plus our 3 kids ages 20, 11 and 9. The seats were not loaded yet, and they suggested I keep calling every 15 minutes. They also suggested I keep trying on line.

Over the past few nights, I had been testing the system on line, and would see the next day about 2:00am, Central. So I kept checking on line, and did not see anything tonight. So around 12:20am Central, I tried calling back into AA, and was placed on hold for about 10 minutes. When the agent picked up, I told her what I wanted, and she told me that only 3 coach seats had been released for the one-way fare of 22,500 miles. I asked her to also check first class - and she said there were 2 seats in first class as well. So I told her to grab the 3 coach seats, and the 2 first class. Done deal!!! It cost me 142,500 miles for all 5 seats - and about $110 dollars for booking on line (I did not ask, but I believe the fee is $20 per seat, plus tax, for booking with an agent).

Fortunately, I have 300,000 miles, so I assume I will have to book the same thing coming back home on the return trip, and will just have enough miles to cover everything!!:D

I can't thank everyone enough for their advice here. I assumed on line would be better than booking via phone. But, as I write this post, on line is still not showing availability for June 26th, so I easily would have missed the opportunity to book these. Not to mention, that my wife and I get to fly first class - which will be fun as well.

I now will apply the same strategy for the return trip in 2 weeks.

Thanks again everyone!!!

SherryS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congrats to you! Good planning works! Agents always will see the AA FF seats a day or two before they are visible online.