• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Trust Inventory Management

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
All,

I have some additional information that I’ve gathered through a conversation with a Marriott executive in Customer Advocacy. The information is interesting, and helps explain some of what we’ve seen recently. Some TUGgers may have already figured this out, so I apologize if there is repetition here. It won’t necessarily make us happy or sad, I just think it may help manage our expectations about the Marriott system.

The purpose of the call was to try and understand how some of the reservations experiences reported previously (kedler and kdorward) and to clarify if Legacy Point owners might be restricted in any future expansion of DClub, as we’ve learned on recent Sales Tours (GregT).

The following is what I learned, some of which is not novel:

1) Inventory for reservations is present in two “buckets”, Exchange Inventory and Trust Inventory
2) Reservations can only be booked using Points where the underlying week is present (either Trust Points for Trust Inventory and Legacy Points/Exchange Points for Exchange Inventory)
3) Only Trust Point owners have direct access to Trust Inventory
4) Legacy Point owners may be aware that Trust Inventory exists and a week is available for reservation to Trust Point owners (such as Crystal Shores) but the Legacy Point owner isn’t able to book it with Legacy Points (see kdorward)
5) Trust Point owners (who also own Legacy Points) may see Trust Inventory available using their Trust Points, but can’t use their Legacy Points to book it (see kedler).

My fundamental question was trying to understand how Marriott would (actively) manage its inventory to fulfill reservations requests, which should have prevented #4 and #5 from occurring.

As explained to me, it is reasonable to think of Trust Inventory – all of those weeks in the Trust -- as “Home Resort Inventory” (my term). Someone who owns Trust Points can book any available Home Resort Inventory with their Trust Points. Marriott will manage the Home Resort Inventory (opaquely) and will decide when excess Home Resort Inventory exists that therefore is available to be matched against a Legacy Point owners waitlist request. Accordingly, it is likely that it will require passage of time (of unknown length before check-in) before Marriott is comfortable actively managing the Trust Inventory and making it available to meet Legacy Point waitlist requests. It may be a couple days or it may be months from the date of Waitlist Request.

The concept of a “Home Resort Inventory” is not dissimilar from what I have in Wyndham, Hilton and Starwood. In each system, there is a Home Resort Advantage where people who specifically own that property can book their home property (and only those specific owners can book their home property). And then at a designated time (Wyndham: 10 months before check-in, Hilton: 9 months before check-in, Starwood: 8 months before check-in), then the remaining available inventory (if any) is opened up to the owners of points from other properties. So if I own at HGVC Sea World but want to visit HGVC Kings Land, I have to wait until 9 months before check-in and then hope that there is HGVC Kings Land property available for me to book with my HGVC points.

With these other systems, there is a guaranteed time/month where the remaining available inventory (if any) opens up – with Marriott, they will make it available to match waitlist requests when Inventory Control believes based upon usage patterns and projected demand, that they have excess inventory. In this manner, it is conceivable that there could be no wait at all – someone could be confirmed 12 ½ months ahead of check-in if they are trying to book something that is considered excessive in its quantity needed. The example comes to mind if the Trust is deep in Ko Olina and Ko Olina’s low season is October, a Legacy Point user could conceivably be confirmed in September 2011 for a reservation in October 2012 (but would have to Waitlist if requesting a July 2012 reservation). It’s a novel and unusual (to me) approach, and requires confidence in Marriott’s inventory control procedure and trust (no pun intended) in its desire to fairly match reservation requests for all of its owners, irrespective of Legacy or Trust points.

He did assure me that future expansion properties, which will only be present in the Trust, will be available to Legacy Point users. However, he also acknowledged the reality that it won’t be clear how quickly that inventory will be considered “excess” for purposes of matching Legacy Point users Waitlist Requests, because it may be very modest in its quantities. Despite this disclaimer, I’d rather know that there is at least a possibility of inventory becoming available, even if over time the rare properties become predominantly reserved by Trust Point owners due to their scarcity (which effectively requires Trust Point ownership to book that scarce week).

He took great pains to emphasize the fairness of the decisions that Marriott is making and mentioned more than once that Marriott is in the business of making sure all of their owners have a fair and equal opportunity to make their reservations. This also came up when I asked if we would ever be able to waitlist at 13-months (unlikely) and the reason was concerns over possibly disenfranchising certain owners (non-Premier and Premier Plus) owners to the benefit of the other owners (Premier and Premier-Plus). Marriott is clearly trying to avoid this, to the extreme that currently there is little practical advantage to being Premier or Premier Plus.

So, in summary:

1) Legacy Points should have access to system expansion in the future
2) Using Legacy Points to reserve properties in the Trust has its best chance for success using the Waitlist
3) Marriott will conduct active inventory control to match Legacy Point Waitlist Requests, but will wait until it is sure there is excess inventory (more than Trust Point owners want)
4) This potential delay in matching a Waitlist Request will be of unknown length – and may complicate other competing travel needs (airfare, reservation in an adjoining week, etc)
5) Owners of both Trust Points and Legacy Points must understand these points don’t mix seamlessly, and the Point Owner must decide between booking a Trust Points reservation today (out of the Trust, and perhaps borrowing next years Trust Points to secure the reservation) or Waitlisting for a reservation that may not match until 2/4/8 weeks later using their Legacy Points (or some combination of Trust/Legacy)
6) He mentioned more than once that Marriott wants to actively match reservation requests for both Legacy and Trust Points, because they need to establish a pattern of successful point utilization to ensure future participation using points and on-going customer referrals to the program.

It’s a very complicated system – both sophisticated points users and newbies will struggle with the usage of the system, but they will understand it over time. I note that Worldmark introduced a second type of point (for use only with Wyndham properties – an affiliated system. ) The introduction of the second type of point caused a great deal of excitement/consternation for owners for awhile, but now we just understand that this is just another type of point that has additional features because of its ability to access the affiliated resorts – so now I have WM points and I also have WM+A points and I manage them both and am aware of the capabilities of each.

One other comment he made – I mentioned that I expected ROFR to become more frequent in the future, as Marriott began to sell thru its existing Trust Points and needed replenishment inventory. He agreed that it was likely at that some point in the future they would begin to exercise ROFR, but most likely based upon the needs of the Trust Inventory, ie, where the Trust was weak. He even offered that there have been situations recently where Marriott sees a “hole” in the Trust Inventory and has proactively approached a private seller that is listing a week for sale and offered to purchase the week for the Trust, using recent market data to support the price. I know Hilton has done this, where they contacted an existing owner about buying back a week, and find it interesting that Marriott has done this also. This seems like a Super ROFR, where Marriott is using the recent declining market prices (aided by no ROFR?) to their advantage, by finding sellers and making bids based upon the recent market conditions – which simultaneously builds the Trust and presumably keeps down the overall MF of the Trust (since I suspect they are only buying premium weeks with MFs below $0.40 per point)

I believe there are implications here for all of us – and as others have wisely noted, they are primarily long term implications (except for the obvious short term need of figuring out how exactly to book the damn reservation). I believe in the short and medium term, enrolled Legacy Week owners who wish to use Legacy Points will continue to make reservations with relative ease and exploit the Legacy 53 properties (and any expansion properties) effectively. Long term, if you care to think XX years down the road, those years will be spent by Marriott actively ROFRing prime weeks and adding them to the Trust (and expanding to other properties if possible) --- all while simultaneously selling Trust Points that have a Home Resort Inventory booking advantage over the Legacy Point owner to that expanded Trust Inventory. This presents a different challenge for the pure Legacy Points owner and I don’t have a prediction of what will transpire then.

I was satisfied with the conversation but only time will tell if reservations are actually made that support and match this understanding. I hope this has been helpful and instructive – it certainly was to me. I apologize if much of this is repetitive to other fine TUGgers posts, but I needed to hear it for myself. I think it will be important to see how often TUGgers get their reservation requests filled, especially from Waitlist requests. I’ll probe that one of these days when possible.

Best to all,

Greg

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Greg, Thanks for the information and insight.

I think one very valid beef that legacy owners can have is that Marriott was selling this as an improvement over II. Based on feedback from owners, they didn't like the uncertainty of II. With DC you would know instantly if you had your reservation or not. The uncertainty of II would be gone. Marriott failed in that regard.

Regardless of what feedback Marriott got from current owners, it is very evident that they designed the system to sell points to new owners. Our feedback really wasn't that important.

Marriott could have done better by doing as other systems do and releasing all inventory at x date. This would have met the expectations of the owners and provided that yes/no, did I get my reservation. The problem however would then be that the system unfairly favors weeks based owners (yah those that supported the product for all those years) over trust owners. As trust owners wouldn't have access to all the weeks in the weeks based system as those could still be under promise to unenrolled and non converted enrolled weeks owners that haven't reserved.

Last edited:

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
good morning....

Greg...

Did you ask about the urban legend regarding "purchasing some Trust points,morphs the remaining into some sort of advantage over pure Legacy points! What about the reports that if you have a certain % of Trust/Legacy points needed for a Trust reservation... you can snag this over a Trust owner!!!

did you ask if there is some sort of "request first thing" where you can keep your week as a "week" while being wait listed. Otherwise "They got you!!! you give up your week and hope for the best!!!

just one point after that spectacular review...

TRUST points > LEGACY points. This dichotomy will GROW as more stuff goes into trust!!!! It will also grow as more customers purchase Trust points increeasing the competition)

I believe Greg is correct... off season Trust reservations will be easy, prime time might be dicey!!! I am optimistic that my summer KL snag will be the norm, not the exception!!! I am also hopeful that they sell out in small incremental 2000 point doses (doctor term) to thousands of customers. This way these customers will not be able to aford (in points) the better Trust weeks...

For example, if there were a total of 100,000,000 pts in the Trust I would rather have 50,000 owners of 2,000 pts than, 25,000 of 4000 pts as there will be 1/2 the competition for the 4000 point stays...

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
TRUST points > LEGACY points. This dichotomy will GROW as more stuff goes into trust!!!!

When looking at pure points, this is true. However, when looking at the products overall they are about equal. Trust=Legacy.

A slight edge could possibly go to trust as they have a large pool of "home resorts". However, they are never guaranteed a specific home resort. Because of that, some could argue an edge to legacy weeks owners who are always guaranteed a week at their specific resort.

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
good morning...

Dioxide...

You and I and the rest of Legacy owners, all purchased deeds which give us Home Resort usage. With this deed comes membership in the Marriott Vacation Club, which gives us the right to exchange for MR points, exchange in II etc. Legacy owners all had the same exchange rights and possibiliites based on the perceived value of our deed. We both purchased before Crystal Shores and Oceana Palms were built, but we both the same equal right to exchange in based on the value of our deeds (The II exchange formula). Now, we find out that new customers have better chances to exchange into new properties than you and I do!!!

Imagine that you own a home in a golf and country club. You have access to golf and dining in addition to your deed. Now, they build an exclusive new subdivision in your club. New purchasers here, as an incentive get first dibs on dinner reservations and tee times and you have to wait. You still have the deed to your house but do you feel even slightly "shafted" here!!!

With Regards to the Club My points are less than a new purchaser!!!. I know one can say buy more points, but that is not the point. The owner that purchased Barony platinum in 2000 should not have to spend more to get the value up to a Surfwatch purchased in 2006.

ALL of the customers in the club should have the same exchange rights!!!!

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Marriott has done a most excellent job of reinventing the wheel to a point where it's possibly the worst point system in all of timeshare. Transparency would have been a much better way to do business. This system, as it stands now, is no different than trading weeks through I.I. This is dramatically different from all other point systems that lets you know when you can book and allows you see what inventory is availabe. Marriott has choosen to hide everything from owners and askes them to trust Marriott to do what's right.

Last edited:

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Greg- Thanks for confirming what many of us had already surmised. At the end of the day, I think the scales tip in favor of the weeks owners who have followed the advice most often given here- buy where you'd like to go most often. I think the hardest obstacle for Marriott to reckon with going forward is inventory even for trust point owners for prime weeks at the bulk of the 53 resorts that has limited, if any, trust inventory. This is the flip side of the coin- trust owners can't book a President's ski week, for ex., or a Christmas/New Year's/President's week in the Caribbean unless those week owners decide to convert to points, because that is legacy exchange inventory and if these prime week owners can't get what they want elsewhere, they don't have the incentive to give up those coveted weeks and they will not be available to trust point owners, regardless of the number of points they own.

Unless Marriott intends to buy a lot in the open market to fill its voids, it needs those legacy weeks, if only to make its trust point owners happy. And, let's face it- most owners aren't consumed like the people here, and after a little frustration shrug their shoulders and move on, left with a bad taste. I am afraid that the complexity of the "new and improved" system will leave many throwing up their hands and ready to walk away, and Marriott may just find more people either using their weeks, or simply renting them, or depositing weeks in II; it may not be the point allocations or the skim, but the inherent complexity, which causes many owners simply to continue business as usual.

On another note- any comment/info. on what happens after June 30th? I'd like to know if the offer for joining is going to change.

Dolphin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Greg,

Great review of your call and thanks for sharing.

This insight matches what the salesrep at KL a few weeks ago gave us. When I asked him about this process, he stated that there were a room of Marriott people reviewing inventories, trends, and request to determine when to make a Trust inventory available to Exchange. At the time I got this picture of people looking at graphs and reports moving inventory around bases on these factors. It told me and what you articulated is there is no set date that Trust inventory is open to Exchange inventory, it depends on the trends and seasons, etc..... So we will never get any guidance on when to expect Trust availability.

I also agree that for at least the short term, legacy owners should not have issues getting in because of my understanding most buyers of Trust points average about 2000 and what can you actually get for that. All that does allows for Trust point owners to break up weeks. It just becomes very painful and hard to plan for since the trust release to exchange is done on so many factors and not the same for each property. One will get 13 months out another 3 months out....

BTW, when talking to this rep, he made a comment about Marriott wants to be "II Like" and speculated what if Marriott one day could trade not just Marriott to Marriott, but between all Prime TS Companies. He did not say this would happen, but just speculated, question is why he would say this. I then asked what Marriotts commitment to II? Answer was Marriott commitment is just for 4 more years so that might tell you something.

Considering where the SpinCo is headed it does make me wonder if we could see SpinCo one day take on the role of II with other Major TS players like DVC, etc....

Just my speculation.....

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
Strategy for Combined Point Reservations

Greg, thanks for providing this information. We own 1500 trust points and several legacy resorts (primarily gold). I have learned to take the following strategy when there is only availability for using trust points:

1. Confirm a reservation for the weekend nights using trust points. These will likely be the most difficult to reserve.
2. Place a waitlist request for the corresponding week nights using legacy points.
3. If necessary (for travel planning), make a backup reservation for the weeknights at a Marriott hotel in the area using MR points.

Since there are no change or cancellation fees, you can always make modifications to reservations as availability changes. I have also changed my reservations to utilize more legacy (or expiring trust) points as they become available. The key is to not borrow trust points from the following year in order to confirm a reservation. These points become locked into usage for that year. I learned this the hard way when a VOA used borrowed trust points to make a reservation when I had requested one using my plus points.

kjd

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. As I was reading it I wondered if Marriott will merge the two systems far-far down the road. Evidently some reps already think it is. The other day at Beach Place I was hit by the sales rep in the lobby with the statement that legacy owners enjoy the same benefits as trust owners. How can this statement be true if there are two "buckets" and one can't cross into the other?

I mentioned that even though I enrolled my weeks I don't like the system and just plan to save money on exchanges and do less than one week stays. He persisted in calling the two programs equal and it was pretty clear he was interested in only selling points to a legacy owner. I hope that every time I stay at an MVCI resort that I'm not harassed by reps giving out bad information. I told them at the desk that I didn't want any sales rep phone calls offering a "tour". I didn't get any calls during our stay. I was thankful for that.

myoakley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for a very informative post. As a new owner, I am trying to understand the whole Marriott system, and am convinced that it has been made needlessly over-complicated. Perhaps in the future, it will be simplified. But, in the meantime, I think that the majority of Marriott owners who have enrolled their weeks and/or bought points, and who are not as savvy and committed as Tuggers, will never really be able to get maximum usage from their points. I am a resale owner, so I am glad that my usage is in straight-forward weeks, making life much simpler for me!

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
Marriott has done a most excellent job of reinventing the wheel to a point where it's possibly the worst point system in all of timeshare.

After reading the OP those are my thoughts exactly... (with one small edit)

Swice

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
In my mind

In my mind, I'll simply think of future new resorts in the same way I've thought of the new resorts built after our purchases. New buyers have "home resort" advantage. I just have to wait until one of the new buyers gives up their spot before my request is granted.

I just don't understand why Marriott is making it hard on itself by making it all so complicated.

As miffed as I am about the change (two weeks = $50,000), I can't imagine why Marriott would tick off the owners, like the ones I met two weeks ago, who own eight weeks (assuming $20,000 x 8 = $160,000). Marriott is essentially telling them their $160,000 is not good enough, they need to fork over at least another $30,000 (or more!!!). I just don't get that logic. :confused:

And for the most part, I just don't see the value (at least for the next ten years at the rate this economy is in), for anyone to supplement their legacy weeks with a "few" Trust points. They don't help you other than tagging on a few extra days onto your legacy week vacation... or giving you a week in Hilton Head in January. Yeah, I know the sales example of you can mix-- Monday on Trust points and Tueday on Legacy... but that gets way too complicated. That example also forces you to convert your legacy weeks into DC points every year (meaning buy more Trust points).

I'll join program next week... but I'm not thrilled about it. And I'm no longer encouraging others to buy Marriott.

I'm not angry... just saddened and disappointed by the whole situation.

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
good morning...

Swice...

In your example... ALL of us have the same opportunity to snag these properties when put in the exchange pool. Priority is based on the value of my deed (determined by II)...

Now I can stay in weeks as always, but if I move to points i am charged a fee... $695 enrollment + $195 + the skim and after these fees my points are still don't equal the other points!!!!

I still believe it is more theoretical than practical as I haver snagged Trust units, but I believe it will get worse as more Trust owners come on board and more inventory is moved there!!!!

Swice

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
good morning...

I still believe it is more theoretical than practical as I haver snagged Trust units, but I believe it will get worse as more Trust owners come on board and more inventory is moved there!!!!

Yes, Trust will get priority... but I just have to wait it out (like waiting on home resort people to give up their spots now). At least that is my thinking for the next five-ten years.

Oh I totally agree... it will get worse. But I believe, thanks to the economy, that it will be a long time before we feel a real impact.

If it weren't for Legacy owners buying extra points, Marriott sales under this new DC system would have been in the toilet. The buy-in is just too rich for most people right now.

BarbS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think at some point Marriott will offer to permanently exchange everyone's legacy points for trust points......of course charging another "small" fee and/or skimming another chunk of points off the top during the exchange.

rsackett

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott’s Harbour Point
I think at some point Marriott will offer to permanently exchange everyone's legacy points for trust points......of course charging another "small" fee and/or skimming another chunk of points off the top during the exchange.

But would you want to? I assume that would change the maint fees to the $0.40/point that Trust owners pay. Folks that get a LOT of points for their Legacy week would not like that change! Of course that may convince me to join the points system if I could still get me week at Harbour Point with maint fees of $500 vs the $1000 I pay now!

Ray

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
good morning....

Greg...

Did you ask about the urban legend regarding "purchasing some Trust points,morphs the remaining into some sort of advantage over pure Legacy points! What about the reports that if you have a certain % of Trust/Legacy points needed for a Trust reservation... you can snag this over a Trust owner!!!

did you ask if there is some sort of "request first thing" where you can keep your week as a "week" while being wait listed. Otherwise "They got you!!! you give up your week and hope for the best!!!

Puck,

I didn't ask about the first one, because it has to be Sales BS. It's not (legally) possible to change the nature of the points -- so Trust Points will remain Trust Points and Legacy Points remain Legacy Points. The % thing is bunk too -- unless its someone gaming the system (ie use your Trust Points to book a one night Wednesday reservation, to break up the week, so its still there for your matching 3 night and 3 night Waitlist Request).

I should have asked about the second, but didn't. I'll try to get that answer another time!!!

On another note- any comment/info. on what happens after June 30th? I'd like to know if the offer for joining is going to change.

Marilyn, my apologies, this one I definitely should have clarified. Based upon my Sales Tour, I believe they will leave enrollment open for the long term, just may change the "incentives".

My rep told me their goal is to have 300,000 owners enrolled in the long run (which makes sense to me -- that's approx $50M in stable, annual revenues). I'm not sure if that's possible because of the no resale post-June 20th thing, so that may change too someday.

Considering where the SpinCo is headed it does make me wonder if we could see SpinCo one day take on the role of II with other Major TS players like DVC, etc....

I agree -- it will be interesting to watch the evolution of SpinCo, as it tries to build a viable, growing company. We've speculated elsewhere that they could become a consolidator of the high-quality timeshares, perhaps acquiring outright (or the exchanging rights to it) Starwood, DVC or HGVC. Its harder to see the competing hotel chains do that, but perhaps DVC will.

Marriott needs to find a way to both sell to new owners, plus make its existing ownership happy (and want to buy the new product and refer customers to it).

Best,

Greg

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
I mentioned that I expected ROFR to become more frequent in the future, as Marriott began to sell thru its existing Trust Points and needed replenishment inventory. He agreed that it was likely at that some point in the future they would begin to exercise ROFR, but most likely based upon the needs of the Trust Inventory, ie, where the Trust was weak. He even offered that there have been situations recently where Marriott sees a “hole” in the Trust Inventory and has proactively approached a private seller that is listing a week for sale and offered to purchase the week for the Trust, using recent market data to support the price. This seems like a Super ROFR, where Marriott is using the recent declining market prices (aided by no ROFR?) to their advantage, by finding sellers and making bids based upon the recent market conditions – which simultaneously builds the Trust and presumably keeps down the overall MF of the Trust (since I suspect they are only buying premium weeks with MFs below $0.40 per point).
I reported a few weeks ago that Marriott did this with us. They approached us and repurchased our Sabal Palms Red Week for $11,300 (less $500 in administrative fees), which is a lot more than one could sell for today in most private markets. Our week had been listed with Marriott Resales for close to two years. It is interesting because Sabal Palms is long sold out and has no ROFR that can be used to buy weeks on the cheap. It is also interesting because Marriott gets the use of a lot of Sabal Palms weeks each year from owners trading for MR points, but their ability to obtain permanent weeks for the trust is quite limited. One last interesting point. Our Sabal Palms maintenance fee was about .50 per legacy point, so they are obviously not restricting their purchases to weeks with maintenance fees under .40/point.

Last edited:

RBERR1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Greg,

Does this mean now if you are going rent points you need to be extermely careful of what kind of points you are renting?

If someone has 4500 legacy pts and they need 5000 pts to book a vacation and then rents 500 pts from someone who only has trust points then they are potentially stuck because then they cannot be combined or may not be combined until the inventory management people move inventory over from one bucket to the other.

Rich

siberiavol

TUG Member
Reaction score
Greg,
Thanks for another great post. I think you clarified Marriott's position about releasing inventory to legacy owners. I don't think Marriott cares a great deal about fairness. They want to maximize profits which is understandable.

Marriott wants to find the sweet spot that keep legacy owners enrolled yet gives an advantage to trust owners who have already shown a willingness to buy the product. The legacy owners want to make the best trades at the lowest cost. Marriott wants more revenue from legacy owners. Marriott doesn't approach it as a partnership. Neither do I.

Marriott got dollars from the legacy owners through enrollment fees. They get fees yearly but might not be getting as much revenue from multiple week owners as they did before considering they have to pay II and gave up some fees. They need new revenue from the legacy owners and they hope to get it by selling them trust points.I think their success there will be limited as the years go on. Thus I would expect them to start raising the yearly fee for enrolled owners rather quickly. It is a cat and mouse game and we are the mice. I was able to get some cheese because of lower II fees and reduced points for non weekend nights. Marriott will respond for sure and send the mice back to the drawing board.

windje2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
All,

Marriott will manage the Home Resort Inventory (opaquely) and will decide when excess Home Resort Inventory exists that therefore is available to be matched against a Legacy Point owners waitlist request.

It’s a very complicated system – both sophisticated points users and newbies will struggle with the usage of the system, but they will understand it over time. I note that Worldmark introduced a second type of point (for use only with Wyndham properties – an affiliated system. ) The introduction of the second type of point caused a great deal of excitement/consternation for owners for awhile, but now we just understand that this is just another type of point that has additional features because of its ability to access the affiliated resorts – so now I have WM points and I also have WM+A points and I manage them both and am aware of the capabilities of each.

I was satisfied with the conversation but only time will tell if reservations are actually made that support and match this understanding. I hope this has been helpful and instructive – it certainly was to me. I apologize if much of this is repetitive to other fine TUGgers posts, but I needed to hear it for myself. I think it will be important to see how often TUGgers get their reservation requests filled, especially from Waitlist requests. I’ll probe that one of these days when possible.

Best to all,

Greg

Good info in this post - thank you

So let's see if I got this right.

If you elect points, Marriott (through the exchange company) controls your Legacy occupancy, which it can use to satisfy points requests.

Marriott also controls access to the weeks owned by the Trust.

A Legacy owner electing points must do so by end of September of each calendar year. That commits the week (and Marriott will choose a good one) to the exchange company and gives immediate access to it to Trust point owners via the exchange company.

The system does not provide a corresponding degree of access for the legacy owner to the points inventory . . unless Marriott decides to put it in the exchange company. They have now said they won't do that unless they believe no Trust owner wants it. They'll hold back the weeks.

Since Marriott won't put Trust inventory into the exchange company if there is any likelihood of Trust point owner demand, the Legacy owner electing points in the hopes of getting a Trust property is in line for that occupancy behind all other Trust owners . . . . even though that Legacy owner may have given up something scarce in a sold out resort which is greatly desired by Trust point owners.

If a Trust point owner gets access to a valuable scarce week from the pool of legacy owners, the pool of legacy owners should get immediate access to an equally valuable scarce week owned by the Trust if this exchange system is to be considered fair to all stakeholders.

The opaque manner in which Trust inventory is held back before being declared 'excess' stacks the deck against legacy owners, particularly in the absence of a request first (before points election) capability on the part of Legacy owners.

The combination of these rules/policies works to give Trust point owners what amounts to an ROFR or option on the Legacy weeks of those who elect points, without giving an equivalent reciprocal option on Trust weeks to Legacy owners because of the Marriott holdback.

Open questions

1. The relationship between the Marriott entities and II, particularly with respect to deposits made to the 'corporate account' and whether or not Marriott is also 'holding' (in the absence of actual requests) II deposits for the benefit of Trust Point owners. Note that is exactly what they are doing with Trust inventory.

2. The priorities (if any) accorded the Legacy/Trust classes of points owners in the Exchange Co.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC

Since Marriott won't put Trust inventory into the exchange company if there is any likelihood of Trust point owner demand, the Legacy owner electing points in the hopes of getting a Trust property is in line for that occupancy behind all other Trust owners . . . . even though that Legacy owner may have given up something scarce in a sold out resort which is greatly desired by Trust point owners.

Hence the absolute need for a "request first" feature.

It makes no sense to me why anyone would convert a week to points and "hope for the best", especially those owners who can otherwise rent their weeks for $1000+ over MFs. If I don't get my exchange, Marriott won't get my week. I have the same philosophy with II...

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
good evening...

windje..
as the presumptive #1 supporter of this sytem in these here parts..evn I am becoming concerned regarding the future. It was my initial understanding that when a Trust owner snagged Legacy inventory, an equal points equivalent of Trust inventory is placed in exchange company. This does not appear to be the case!!!