• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

how to advertise to rent search results?

rynker

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have many units that are deposited in RCI that need to be used and I'd like to advertise to rent for searches if it's a match to what people need or want. How can I do this to sound legitimate for people to be interested? If I don't do anything, I'm wasting maintenance fees.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
please note that it is against RCI policy to rent out banked weeks.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
As Brian said...it is against rci policy to rent your exchanges, but I have asked more than once about exceptions to the rules. They confirm that it against policy but are also quick to say that there are no rci rent police looking for problems...

it seems to me that if your renters didnt cause any problems that you might get away with it...on the other hand you could lose all your rci reservations and your rci account

gmarine

TUG Member
Reaction score
As Brian said...it is against rci policy to rent your exchanges, but I have asked more than once about exceptions to the rules. They confirm that it against policy but are also quick to say that there are no rci rent police looking for problems...

it seems to me that if your renters didnt cause any problems that you might get away with it...on the other hand you could lose all your rci reservations and your rci account

I can tell you from experience that RCI, as well as Interval, do actively look for the rental of exchanges. They can and will can cancel exchanges and suspend your membership. My advice would be to look for friends/family who could use the week but dont advertise in any public forum.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Look for listings on ebay that include a guest certificate fee as an an example how not to do it

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
You're allowed to rent to family and 'friends' as long as it doesn't exceed the cost of the exchange and the guest certificate, if your 'friends' want to give you a separate unrelated gift, unrelated to the vacation...well thats between you and your 'friend' and i'm sure if you explain it to your 'friend' that way everything should be fine

gmarine

TUG Member
Reaction score
You're allowed to rent to family and 'friends' as long as it doesn't exceed the cost of the exchange and the guest certificate, if your 'friends' want to give you a separate unrelated gift, unrelated to the vacation...well thats between you and your 'friend' and i'm sure if you explain it to your 'friend' that way everything should be fine

I'm not sure of RCI's exact policy wording but I know Interval has no such condition. Interval completely prohibits the selling of a Guest Certificate for any amount

I took a quick look at RCI Terms and Conditions and RCI also completely prohibits selling Guest Certificates for any aamount.

Last edited:

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure of RCI's exact policy wording but I know Interval has no such condition. Interval completely prohibits the selling of a Guest Certificate for any amount

I took a quick look at RCI Terms and Conditions and RCI also completely prohibits selling Guest Certificates for any aamount.

huh, i didn't realize that, i thought you were allowed to receive compensation for the exchange fee and guest certificate but were prohibited from receiving even a cent above that

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can I rent an RCI exchange???

The way the RCI disclosures are written seem to tie the answer to "commercial purposes" There is no flat out prohibition in the disclosure...heres what it says:

C. The Program may not be used by a Member
or guest for commercial purposes, including without
limitation, auction, rental, raffle or sale of a
Confirmed Exchange, Deposited Vacation Time,
Inventory or Guest Certificate, for example. Such use
is grounds for immediate termination of Member’s
membership and cancellation of any Deposits,
reservations, exchanges, or other benefits of the
Program without limitation without prior suspension of or
notice to the Member.

and in another part of the document it says

D. Guest Certificates and Guest Passes may not
be used for any commercial purpose by Member or
guest, including without limitation auction, rental,
W14
raffle or sale or the Guest Pass or Guest Certificate
or the underlying Confirmed Exchange.

So the question becomes what does "commercial purpose" mean

heres one definition

A commercial use is one which is undertaken for a business purpose, rather than hobby, recreational, educational, or other purposes. Such uses are usually attributed to a for-profit entity, rather than an individual, university or other educational institutions, or non-profit organizations (such as public libraries, charities, and other organizations created for the promotion of social welfare).

and another

"used for commercial purposes" means the carriage of persons or property for any fare, fee, rate, charge or other consideration, or directly or indirectly in connection with any business, or other undertaking intended for profit.

and another

com·mer·cial   [kuh-mur-shuhl] Show IPA
adjective
of, pertaining to, or characteristic of commerce.
engaged in commerce.
prepared, done, or acting with sole or chief emphasis on salability, profit, or success: a commercial product; His attitude toward the theater is very commercial.
able to yield or make a profit: We decided that the small oil well was not commercial.
suitable or fit for a wide, popular market:

and yet another

"A commercial use is one which is undertaken for a business purpose, rather than hobby, recreational, educational, or other purposes. Such uses are usually attributed to a for-profit entity, rather than an individual,

here's another reference

In commercial law, commerce means the exchange or buying and selling of goods on a wide scale, involving moving goods from place to place.

Im no lawyer, but it seems to me profit motive must be involved in any commercial venture

I think Ride is right...If I go into a rental agreement or a purchase and sale transaction knowing that Im going to break even or lose money than i didnt go into it for a commercial purpose.....and if Im not renting my exchanges with the purpose of a profit in mind then I think I can do it...But who cares what I think?....the question is what does RCI think and what will the consequences be if we disagree.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
But you can do a conference call and have your friend use his/her own CC to pay for the exchange fee and Guest Cert or Extra Vacation/Getaway Week and Guest Cert or you can use someone else CC (with their permission) to pay for the fees.

I don't see how using your own CC to pay these and then getting them reimbursed is any different.

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
But you can do a conference call and have your friend use his/her own CC to pay for the exchange fee and Guest Cert or Extra Vacation/Getaway Week and Guest Cert or you can use someone else CC (with their permission) to pay for the fees.

I don't see how using your own CC to pay these and then getting them reimbursed is any different.

Presumably those who rent units want to recoup a little more than the out of pocket exchange fee and GC costs. I think that's where the problem re RCI comes in.

I'm not defending them, just mentioning that there's a difference between a legitimate guest and a rental situation.

LAX Mom

TUG Member
Reaction score

It is different to II. They will allow you to let a family member or friend book a getaway on your account using the fm/f credit card. I'd done that several times. II doesn't seem to care who pays them for the week.

However, they don't allow you to book a getaway or exchange and then rent it for $$ to a stranger, family member or friend. You can always get a guest certificate and let someone else you your week. But you can't charge them for it. II doesn't allow it.

II has their rules (terms and conditions of membership) and we agree to them when we join. I agree it doesn't make sense, but they will enforce the rules if they catch you renting an exchange or getaway.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I often rent weeks I own at a loss. That may mean Im not operating as a commercial venture, but perhaps I am, and Im just bad at it who is to say?

The problem is that RCI uses the term "commercial purpose" and that's subject to interpretation..

The safe way to operate is buy specific weeks that you intend to rent and only use RCI for your own vacations

funtime

TUG Member
Reaction score
It may be time to offload some of your timeshares. Then you can either enjoy lower maintenance fees or buy timeshare properties that rent well. Ron seems to have gotten the hang of it. Funtime