Timeshare Users Group Forums
TUG Links external to TUG BBS:    TUG Home| TUG Resort Databases| Marketplace | TUG Help | Advice | Join TUG  

Timeshare Users Group Bulletin Board
Go Back   Timeshare Users Group Forums > Timesharing > Buying, Selling, Renting

Buying, Selling, Renting Discuss all aspects of buying, selling and renting timeshares here. No advertising allowed!

GLOBAL ANNOUNCEMENTS
TUG Turns 21 Years Old! Read More

Free Timeshare Exchanges on TUG! View current exchanges!

Free TUG Newsletter! Sign up today!

TUG Banner Travels the World! Follow the Banner!

Forum Jump

Reply « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old April 13, 2012, 05:42 PM   #1
rynker
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 8, 05

Resorts: buddy dive Bonaire, aquamarine Ocean Side, alexandra Turks and Caicos, royal mayan Cancun
how to advertise to rent search results?

I have many units that are deposited in RCI that need to be used and I'd like to advertise to rent for searches if it's a match to what people need or want. How can I do this to sound legitimate for people to be interested? If I don't do anything, I'm wasting maintenance fees.
rynker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2012, 06:26 PM   #2
TUGBrian
Administrator

TUG Lifetime Member

BBS Reg. Date: Mar 24, 06
please note that it is against RCI policy to rent out banked weeks.
TUGBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2012, 06:48 PM   #3
ronparise

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Feb 10, 11

Resorts: Wyndham, Worldmark, and weeks in New Orleans, San Antonio, New Mexico and Hawaii
As Brian said...it is against rci policy to rent your exchanges, but I have asked more than once about exceptions to the rules. They confirm that it against policy but are also quick to say that there are no rci rent police looking for problems...

it seems to me that if your renters didnt cause any problems that you might get away with it...on the other hand you could lose all your rci reservations and your rci account

my website

my other website
ronparise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2012, 06:57 PM   #4
gmarine
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 6, 05

Resorts: Renaissance Aruba,St James Club Antigua ,Westgate, Marriott Manor Club, Worldmark, Kings Creek Plant,Twin Rivers,SDO,SBP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronparise View Post
As Brian said...it is against rci policy to rent your exchanges, but I have asked more than once about exceptions to the rules. They confirm that it against policy but are also quick to say that there are no rci rent police looking for problems...

it seems to me that if your renters didnt cause any problems that you might get away with it...on the other hand you could lose all your rci reservations and your rci account
I can tell you from experience that RCI, as well as Interval, do actively look for the rental of exchanges. They can and will can cancel exchanges and suspend your membership. My advice would be to look for friends/family who could use the week but dont advertise in any public forum.
Old April 14, 2012, 06:29 AM   #5
rynker
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 8, 05

Resorts: buddy dive Bonaire, aquamarine Ocean Side, alexandra Turks and Caicos, royal mayan Cancun
Thanks all. Advice well received!
rynker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2012, 06:38 AM   #6
Rent_Share
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 10, 05

Resorts: WorldMark 15K
Look for listings on ebay that include a guest certificate fee as an an example how not to do it
Rent_Share is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2012, 06:44 AM   #7
Ridewithme38

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jul 14, 10

Resorts: Wyndham Patriots Place, Fixed Week 27, Lockoff, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Biannual, 2br, Fixed week 34 & Gold PLUS
You're allowed to rent to family and 'friends' as long as it doesn't exceed the cost of the exchange and the guest certificate, if your 'friends' want to give you a separate unrelated gift, unrelated to the vacation...well thats between you and your 'friend' and i'm sure if you explain it to your 'friend' that way everything should be fine
Ridewithme38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2012, 08:41 AM   #8
gmarine
TUG Member

Resorts: Renaissance Aruba,St James Club Antigua ,Westgate, Marriott Manor Club, Worldmark, Kings Creek Plant,Twin Rivers,SDO,SBP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridewithme38 View Post
You're allowed to rent to family and 'friends' as long as it doesn't exceed the cost of the exchange and the guest certificate, if your 'friends' want to give you a separate unrelated gift, unrelated to the vacation...well thats between you and your 'friend' and i'm sure if you explain it to your 'friend' that way everything should be fine
I'm not sure of RCI's exact policy wording but I know Interval has no such condition. Interval completely prohibits the selling of a Guest Certificate for any amount

I took a quick look at RCI Terms and Conditions and RCI also completely prohibits selling Guest Certificates for any aamount.

Last edited by gmarine; April 14, 2012 at 08:50 AM.
gmarine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2012, 09:07 AM   #9
Ridewithme38

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jul 14, 10

Resorts: Wyndham Patriots Place, Fixed Week 27, Lockoff, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Biannual, 2br, Fixed week 34 & Gold PLUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarine View Post
I'm not sure of RCI's exact policy wording but I know Interval has no such condition. Interval completely prohibits the selling of a Guest Certificate for any amount

I took a quick look at RCI Terms and Conditions and RCI also completely prohibits selling Guest Certificates for any aamount.
huh, i didn't realize that, i thought you were allowed to receive compensation for the exchange fee and guest certificate but were prohibited from receiving even a cent above that
Ridewithme38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2012, 10:19 AM   #10
ronparise

TUG Member

Resorts: Wyndham, Worldmark, and weeks in New Orleans, San Antonio, New Mexico and Hawaii
Can I rent an RCI exchange???

The way the RCI disclosures are written seem to tie the answer to "commercial purposes" There is no flat out prohibition in the disclosure...heres what it says:

C. The Program may not be used by a Member
or guest for commercial purposes, including without
limitation, auction, rental, raffle or sale of a
Confirmed Exchange, Deposited Vacation Time,
Inventory or Guest Certificate, for example. Such use
is grounds for immediate termination of Member’s
membership and cancellation of any Deposits,
reservations, exchanges, or other benefits of the
Program without limitation without prior suspension of or
notice to the Member.

and in another part of the document it says

D. Guest Certificates and Guest Passes may not
be used for any commercial purpose by Member or
guest, including without limitation auction, rental,
W14
raffle or sale or the Guest Pass or Guest Certificate
or the underlying Confirmed Exchange.

So the question becomes what does "commercial purpose" mean

heres one definition

A commercial use is one which is undertaken for a business purpose, rather than hobby, recreational, educational, or other purposes. Such uses are usually attributed to a for-profit entity, rather than an individual, university or other educational institutions, or non-profit organizations (such as public libraries, charities, and other organizations created for the promotion of social welfare).

and another

"used for commercial purposes" means the carriage of persons or property for any fare, fee, rate, charge or other consideration, or directly or indirectly in connection with any business, or other undertaking intended for profit.

and another

com·mer·cial   [kuh-mur-shuhl] Show IPA
adjective
of, pertaining to, or characteristic of commerce.
engaged in commerce.
prepared, done, or acting with sole or chief emphasis on salability, profit, or success: a commercial product; His attitude toward the theater is very commercial.
able to yield or make a profit: We decided that the small oil well was not commercial.
suitable or fit for a wide, popular market:

and yet another

"A commercial use is one which is undertaken for a business purpose, rather than hobby, recreational, educational, or other purposes. Such uses are usually attributed to a for-profit entity, rather than an individual,

here's another reference

In commercial law, commerce means the exchange or buying and selling of goods on a wide scale, involving moving goods from place to place.

Im no lawyer, but it seems to me profit motive must be involved in any commercial venture

I think Ride is right...If I go into a rental agreement or a purchase and sale transaction knowing that Im going to break even or lose money than i didnt go into it for a commercial purpose.....and if Im not renting my exchanges with the purpose of a profit in mind then I think I can do it...But who cares what I think?....the question is what does RCI think and what will the consequences be if we disagree.

my website

my other website
Old April 14, 2012, 10:50 AM   #11
tschwa2

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Dec 19, 08

Resorts: Island Links (HHI-RCI points), Sandals Ocho Rios, SBP, Riptide II, OceanTime, WS and RV Massanutten, FSA, MWR
But you can do a conference call and have your friend use his/her own CC to pay for the exchange fee and Guest Cert or Extra Vacation/Getaway Week and Guest Cert or you can use someone else CC (with their permission) to pay for the fees.

I don't see how using your own CC to pay these and then getting them reimbursed is any different.
tschwa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2012, 04:13 PM   #12
BevL

TUG Lifetime Member

BBS Reg. Date: Oct 22, 04
Quote:
Originally Posted by tschwa2 View Post
But you can do a conference call and have your friend use his/her own CC to pay for the exchange fee and Guest Cert or Extra Vacation/Getaway Week and Guest Cert or you can use someone else CC (with their permission) to pay for the fees.

I don't see how using your own CC to pay these and then getting them reimbursed is any different.
Presumably those who rent units want to recoup a little more than the out of pocket exchange fee and GC costs. I think that's where the problem re RCI comes in.

I'm not defending them, just mentioning that there's a difference between a legitimate guest and a rental situation.
BevL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2012, 04:26 PM   #13
LAX Mom

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 7, 05
Quote:
Originally Posted by tschwa2 View Post

It is different to II. They will allow you to let a family member or friend book a getaway on your account using the fm/f credit card. I'd done that several times. II doesn't seem to care who pays them for the week.

However, they don't allow you to book a getaway or exchange and then rent it for $$ to a stranger, family member or friend. You can always get a guest certificate and let someone else you your week. But you can't charge them for it. II doesn't allow it.

II has their rules (terms and conditions of membership) and we agree to them when we join. I agree it doesn't make sense, but they will enforce the rules if they catch you renting an exchange or getaway.
Old April 14, 2012, 04:39 PM   #14
ronparise

TUG Member

I often rent weeks I own at a loss. That may mean Im not operating as a commercial venture, but perhaps I am, and Im just bad at it who is to say?

The problem is that RCI uses the term "commercial purpose" and that's subject to interpretation..

The safe way to operate is buy specific weeks that you intend to rent and only use RCI for your own vacations

my website

my other website
Old April 14, 2012, 04:53 PM   #15
funtime
TUG Member

It may be time to offload some of your timeshares. Then you can either enjoy lower maintenance fees or buy timeshare properties that rent well. Ron seems to have gotten the hang of it. Funtime
funtime is offline   Reply With Quote