Timeshare Users Group Forums
TUG Links external to TUG BBS:    TUG Home| TUG Resort Databases| Marketplace | TUG Help | Advice | Join TUG  

Timeshare Users Group Bulletin Board
Go Back   Timeshare Users Group Forums > Timeshare Resort Systems > Marriott Resort System

Marriott Resort System Discussion of Marriott Timeshare Resorts, Marriott Vacation Club, and Marriott Destination Points memberships!

GLOBAL ANNOUNCEMENTS
TUG Turns 20 Years Old! Read More

Free Timeshare Exchanges on TUG! View current exchanges!

Free TUG Newsletter! Sign up today!

TUG Banner Travels the World! Follow the Banner!

Forum Jump

Reply « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old April 14, 2012, 03:23 AM   #26
answeeney
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jan 18, 12

Resorts: Marriott's Ocean Pointe, Marriott's Marbella Beach Resort, Marriott's Club Son Antem, MDC, DVC, Grand Lodge on Peak 7, B
I donít blame anyone for maximizing their options; in fact I applaud it. Letís face it though the II system is far from perfect and results in some trades which are highly skewed. There are attempts such as trading power and XYZ (IIís best kept secret, to borrow a phrase from DVC) to address the imperfections and give participants a fairer deal but the flaws provide an opportunity for experts (like many tuggers) to use their knowledge to come out ahead more often than not. You could argue this is a legitimate benefit for someone who has put in the time and effort to learn about the system. However, in my view, it is just as reasonable to try to level the playing field and the DC system is, arguably, an attempt to do just that.

The DC system has its own imperfections but I do not think it is legitimate to criticise it on the basis that it reduces the opportunities to play the existing system to your advantage, which is an attitude that does often come across to me on this site (my apologies in advance if anyone who has posted on this thread thinks I am pointing a censorious finger at them - Iím not Ė itís just an impression I have gained from reading many past threads).

As for agruments like "the Marriott salesman said I could always trade my silver studio mudweek for a 3 bed in Hawaii", well...
answeeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2012, 06:40 AM   #27
DCBoy
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Oct 17, 10
I assume that most folks will join or not join the DC based upon its cost at the time and whether or not they think it works for them financially and otherwise in the long-run. However, in order to avoid the need for our own spinoff here on TUG, I might suggest that if someone reports that they got a great trade through II or DC in the future, it would be best to just congratulate them on their "score" and move on. After all, aren't we all just trying to do the best we can with what we own regardless of our membership class or status?
DCBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2012, 07:20 AM   #28
davemy
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 6, 05

Resorts: marriott grand chataeu, platinums , tug member since may 2002
But all tuggers like to brag! We all like to hear succes stories thou. It just bums me out that i will have to join, just in case i don't want to be left behind in the future. I would not do it at over $2000 dollars and marriott probably knows that.
davemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2012, 07:57 AM   #29
puckmanfl
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Mar 11, 10

Resorts: Marriott Grande Vista Marriott Waiohai Marriott Ko Olina
good morning...

Dave... I am assuming you own direct purchased weeks...

Spend the $695 to enroll. Collect your 800 pts and add 2 weeknites to one of your Legacy week stays. The next time you snag a HHI week on Flex add 2 nites with the 800 pts. This more than $695 retail. Your enrollment was wash!!!

Keep playing the Legacy game and only use points if you want to!!! remember, they are your weeks, use them as you want too!!!!
puckmanfl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2012, 04:12 AM   #30
csalter2
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Sep 3, 08

Resorts: Marriott Ko Olina; DRI Gold Elite
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpk113 View Post
I don't want something for nothing... My expectations were set at my sales presentation when my used car salesman recommended this practice as commonplace and well accepted. So in a way Marriott caused there own problem.
I am all for people taking advantage of what's available to them. However, some people feel entitled to some advantages they are able to achieve through a system. It is the entitlement attitude that some tuggers have that is what I don't understand. Marriott did try to level the field a bit with the DC system. Some folks paid $50,000 for their 2 bedroom platinum week in Hawaii while others paid $25,000 for their 1 bedroom gold week in Desert Springs Villas. The problem that I have is that people feel entitled to that platinum Hawaii and with their gold Desert Springs. Folks on this site have been raving mad about losing what was nothing more than a privilege.

Your expectations were set by the paperwork you signed, nothing more and nothing less. Anything extra should be considered just that, an extra but not an entitlement.
Old April 15, 2012, 06:30 AM   #31
rpk113
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Dec 23, 09
Quote:
Originally Posted by csalter2 View Post
Your expectations were set by the paperwork you signed, nothing more and nothing less. Anything extra should be considered just that, an extra but not an entitlement.
I disagree with that statement. The facts of your ownership were set when you signed the paperwork (one week, where you bought). The delusions of grandeur and "go anywhere you want in the marriott system" expectations were set by the salesman. Two very distinct and different things.
rpk113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2012, 06:47 AM   #32
m61376

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Aug 2, 06

Resorts: Marriott's Aruba Surf Club
Quote:
Marriott did try to level the field a bit with the DC system.
Possibly, but for owners at many resorts they just created a different set of inequities. Theoretically, they could have leveled the playing field IF they set the point allocations to some objective measure (equating it, for example, to what Marriott.com charges for renting rooms at each resort). But as is, they created another subset of inequities, with some resorts being better value to won and others being better values to trade into.

And I understand the skim- but in the interest of leveling the playing field, as you put it, why did Marriott make it so that at some resorts owners can't book a single week in their season, while at others they can book some weeks and not have enough points for others (and- yes- I know that you simply book a week at your home resort using your week- BUT- and this is a bug BUT- if you aren't given enough points to book a week at your home resort you are effectively downtrading anyplace else.

So while theoretically the DC could have leveled the playing field and made trades equitable, in which case I could understand your point that the prior uptrades were lucky but not guaranteed, for many of us it created a whole new subset of inequities (and I think even many of those that love the system recognize that there are essentially winners and losers by virtue of the point allocation). When units that Marriott itself rents at close to double the price don't receive enough points to reserve units that Marriott itself rents for half to two-thirds the price, how is the playing field being made more equitable?
m61376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2012, 02:13 AM   #33
pipet

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jul 3, 10

Resorts: Marriott Waiohai, Marriott Shadow Ridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by m61376 View Post
Possibly, but for owners at many resorts they just created a different set of inequities.
Exactly - with points there is a new game to play, but it is still a game with winners & losers. People who paid extra $$$ for a special week/view but were not given any additional DC points are definitely losers in the DC game. People who tended to make like-for-like trades also don't do so well with the DC. Some resorts have a fabulous MF to DC pt ratio, and if I owned at one of those, I'd be in DC point heaven busy planning out trips.

There are ways to work around the DC, but just as some folks had to know the ins-and-outs of II to not feel like they were losing out, the same can be said of the DC. At least here on TUG, we learn the nuances of whatever systems we choose to use.

As for the OP's great uptrade, it should be impossible according to some sales reps!
Old April 22, 2012, 04:47 PM   #34
Scott_Ru
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 15, 05

Resorts: Grande Vista & Sabal Palms (Orlando)/ Sea Mist & Southcape (Cape Cod)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpk113 View Post
DC points can kiss my rear....

I just got my trade 11 months out..

1 Bdrm Gold Surf Club deposited..
2 Bdrm Plat Surf Club Granted...

I'll be there all week , enjoy the veal, be sure to tip your waitress...
Agreed - we own at Grande Vista in Orlando...but also have a much cheaper unit on Cape Cod. We needed more space in prime time for 2013 at GV and just got a 2-bedroom Grande Vista for our Cape Unit off-prime season.

Go Interval!
Scott_Ru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2012, 04:54 PM   #35
ilene13
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Nov 1, 08

Resorts: 3 platinum wks Marriott's Aruba Ocean Club 1 platinum wk Marriott's Surfwatch, 2 wks The Royal Sands, 1 wk Royal Hac
Quote:
I am all for people taking advantage of what's available to them. However, some people feel entitled to some advantages they are able to achieve through a system. It is the entitlement attitude that some tuggers have that is what I don't understand. Marriott did try to level the field a bit with the DC system. Some folks paid $50,000 for their 2 bedroom platinum week in Hawaii while others paid $25,000 for their 1 bedroom gold week in Desert Springs Villas. The problem that I have is that people feel entitled to that platinum Hawaii and with their gold Desert Springs. Folks on this site have been raving mad about losing what was nothing more than a privilege.

The resorts in Aruba were shortchanged in DC point allocations. To stay at the OC during Christmas and New Year's in a 1 bedroom unit it is in excess of 4000 points. As a platinum owner I am only allocated 2900 points---I own 3 platinum weeks. The playing field is definitely inequitable and I do NOT have an entitlement issue.
ilene13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2012, 08:19 AM   #36
Safti
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Sep 13, 09

Resorts: Marriott
Great exchange overnight

I deposited a one bedroom master (of my 2 bedroom lock off) using my gold MCV. Less than 24 hours later, just yesterday, I receives confirmation of my successful exchange into Marriott Grande Ocean in HH for April 19-26, 2013.

I'm thinking this is not a bad exchange. My studio couldn't pull it. I have a feeling that a studio couldn't pull HH except for maybe Jan.
Safti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2012, 08:26 AM   #37
dioxide45

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: May 20, 06

Resorts: Marriott's Grande Vista, Marriott's Harbour Lake
We had a similar experience with Ocean Watch for this past April. Had an ongoing request with our Grande Vista studio unit. It didn't come though after a couple of weeks of waiting. We canceled that request and started one with the 1BR and it came through overnight. So it was a trade power issue where the studio couldn't pull the 2BR but the 1BR could.
dioxide45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2012, 04:49 PM   #38
m61376

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Aug 2, 06

Resorts: Marriott's Aruba Surf Club
And my friend recently used a Gold Aruba SC studio week to get the exact dates over week 51 she wanted; matching into a 1BR at the Aruba OC. Much better deal than using points for the holiday week!
m61376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2012, 10:44 PM   #39
Safti
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Sep 13, 09

Resorts: Marriott
Now just thinking about what I can nab with my gold studio..... a one or two bedroom perhaps? I just traded my last gold MCV studio in April for a 2 bedroom lakeshore reserve in October. It's working for me!
Safti is offline   Reply With Quote